How to compare car insurance to find the best policy for you

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

• Timeliness
  • Job Satisfaction
  • Claim Resolution Time
    • <1 week (1)
    • 2-4 weeks (2)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (3) · No (0)
David

DavidSouth East Queensland, QLD

Found a repair shop that really delivers service!!

Linda1962

Linda1962AU

Great value

I had AAMI on both my cars & their service for claims was outstanding with getting the job done asap.
Both claims on my car were completed with little fuss & in a short time frame, it was simply a phone call & gaining several quotes. When I insisted on having a repairer of my choice they were happy to oblige.
If you want a competitive price & prompt claim service I recommend AAMI, I only came across one other company that could compete with their price & service.
Inexpensive, my choice of repairer & prompt service
Annoying me to get my house insurance.

emkakel

emkakelAU

5 stars in most areas, except for customer retention

I have previously made a claim with Aami for a written off car, their service was perfect and received my payout within a week. They always come in as the cheapest insurer when I compare quotes.

However. This year when shopping around for renewal prices, I did a quote on the Aami website and could get better coverage with them for about $70 less than my renewal. Asked if they could match this price as I'm very happy with them. However was told that it was a discount for new customers only....So instead of renewing I took out a new policy to get the cheaper rate. Seems like they don't reward customer loyalty (been with them over 6 years).
Fast claims process, friendly staff
Customer retention/rewarding loyal customers not good

Find out how AAMI Car Insurance compares to other Car Insurance

You pay for what you get...

Hats_Off

Hats_OffGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Good

Apart from a brief stint with Allianz recently, I've used AAMI for the last 15 years. I have made one claim and it was completely hassle free. I currently have two cars insured with them and would recommend AAMI to anyone.
Friendly and professional service. Will insure your vehicle for a fair market value. They use Glass's Guide rather than Redbook for the purposes of valuation (which is much more realistic) and will lock in the market value for 12 months. They are also pretty reasonable when it comes to increasing the market value if you've put some money into upgrading your car (in my case it was just cosmetic improvements).
Nothing so far.

katemel

katemelAU

Good

All in all I'm much happier paying more for insurance with a company I am comfortable with, rather than a (much) cheaper alternative which seems too good to be true. Proof will be in the pudding if I have an accident, but I'm willing to bet the outcome will be ok.
I have had nothing but good experiences with customer service. They've always been polite and friendly. I just rang them to question why my premium has increased and was satisfied (though not particularly happy!!)with the answer. I also was successful in having the premium reduced to just below what it was last year - don't quite understand that, but I'll take it!
None as yet

DonnaA

DonnaA

Good

I will stay with AAMI, regardless of all the new cheap car insurance companies entering the market. I think it is worth paying a little extra for them to be there when you need them
I changed because the premium was much less than Suncorp and I had heard that the claim process was on an equal footing. I had to claim and the whole process was perfect - repairer nearby with good service. Everything went smoothly.
None 0f course would like it cheaper.

jacqui2411-pr57311

jacqui2411-pr57311Vic, 3995

Good

I don't suppose I really like any insurance company but I have been with AAMI for over 20 years. In that time, I have never had any problems. I have had claims paid quickly and I will probably continue to get my car insurance through them as I have not found another provider who is better.
I like the fact that most of the time there premiums are cheaper than everybody elses. I like their plain easy to read policies. I like the Rating 1 for life and the driver course offered to young drivers.
I don't like the excesses, especially for young drivers.

Good

Still waiting 3 weeks after accident for my payout with no money in sight. The guy at the assessment center went through my car to retrieve my possessions without my permission. Went on a wild goose chase to find my car to retrieve my stuff, because they gave me the run around. Everyone in the main call center is nice though - the woman who handled my claim was concerned first for my well being, then dealt with my car. I found them really competitive with their premiums too
Everyone in the call center is wonderful to talk to
Slow to pay out, people in the assessment centers treat you like dirt

EileenGarraway

EileenGarrawayVic, 3178

Good

Every year when my car insurance is due I always phone around to compare what is going on outside me and I always come back to AAMI. So far they have been the best price & they were just great when I had a car accident. They helped me with everything & even arranged a car (which wasn't on the policy - but they later claimed it back from the person who hit me). They still kept me on rating one as I hadn't had an accident before & I had been driving for years. Thankyou AAMI.
For me they are still the cheapest.
Like everything in this world, no one puts down their rates.

bailey79

bailey79QLD, 4179

misskerryn

misskerryn

royboy999

royboy999

Good

We shopped around and found that AAMI were much cheaper than the current insurance we had with a better well known insurer. They offered pretty much the same policy and also had the option of a hire car if the car is being repaired for a small additional fee. Haven't had an opportunity to use the insurance, but feel re-assured that everything will be looked after when we need it.
One of the cheaper comprehensive quotes we received. Has the option of getting a hire car if your car is at the repairers for a nominal fee.
Not many branches available where you can talk to a person face-to-face.

nikkik

nikkik

Good

Bad experience turned positive experience getting car repaired (accident not my fault). AAMI (Brookvale) chose the repairer, car came back with really, obviously terrible spray job. AAMI arranged for a full respray (and even a loan car, not in our policy) and came back looking great. HINT: We were super nice to AAMI rather than take out fury on them as they didn't do the spray job. I have heard of this going very wrong for others so I was so worried we'd be left with a car that clearly looked like it had been bingled and badly effected resale value. All turned out well! Thank you AAMI Brookvale.
Cheap, friendly
Can't choose your repairer

lachie_89

lachie_89

carid

carid

Good

I have been with AAMI for many years, having been with several other insurers previously. For me, they are amongst the cheapest car insurers. I have made several claims through them and have had absolutely no issues and the claim process and the repair process has always run really smoothly. My only gripe with them is that if you do an online quote it is always about $50 cheaper than the renewal amount, I would like to think that they would reward their exisiting customers by offering them the best price - but they don't!
Great customer service, very easy and efficient to deal with when making a claim. Good value for money for peace of mind.
It's generally cheaper to get a new online AAMI policy than to renew your existing policy.

muslaw

muslawQLD, 4171

sano2sano

sano2sano

Good

cheap, nothing more. They were an excellent choice when money was short and had no problems when claims were required (both times car was struck when stationary). But the true story came out when they tried to bully a female. I was quite disappointed as i had 3 vehicles at one time insured by them and with the premiums at a low price it was a huge saving.
a lot cheaper than most and i never had a problem with them after 2 accidents.
I'm not insured now and my wife had a crash against an AAMI insured vehicle, they were so rude and abrupt that i will not insure my vehicle with them again. It was only when they realised i had knowledge of the ARR (Australian Road Rules) that they stopped the bullying and stand over tactics.

Akarus

AkarusTAS, 7052

Good

After a crash wrote off one of our cars, AAMI was the only company we could get insurance with that wouldn't charge so much in premiums that we'd have paid out the full value of the new car in a couple of years.

After another crash a few years later, they gave us the option of using our own repairers, or one of their recommended workshops. Took the latter option, and they handled everything. From towing to quotes, and even took care of tracking down the driver who'd crashed into the car. No excess to pay and no problems getting repairs done.
Much lower premiums than most will offer for car insurance.
No serious problems.

ChittyD

ChittyDasked

Car Insurance - Comprehensive

I had a trolley driver damage my car while it was parked. 'Hit and Run' situation and there is shopping centre video evidence showing what happened. However, AAMI in their wisdom have decided to deem that the excess paid to have my car repair will not be refunded on the basis that I did not provide the at-fault person's details? How could I as I was not there when this happened. Seems like a clever way to avoid the work involved in clearing me and going after the trolley-company contractor's insurance company to pay for my damages. It this not part of the Insurance service?

Wendy0707

Wendy0707asked

Car Insurance - Comprehensive

How do you decide who is at fault for collision

Fiona
Fiona

It goes by the road laws. For example, if the other person was supposed to give way and you were already in the intersection, then the other person is at fault.

Angelito
Angelito

Hi Wendy! Well it depends if you think fault of the other party, of course they will fight for you but it needs justification. Proof thanks

Jase J.

Jase J.asked

Car Insurance

Why is my claim review taking so long I am homless and live out the car I suffer a neurological disease that causes me to stutter AAMI thought they put the call on hold but took it off for me to hear them picking on my stutter saying nnnnooooo moooonnnnneeeyyyy fffffooooorrrrr hhhhimmmm I have contacted 2gb and am contacting channel 9 I just wanted to hurt myself after hearing the mocking and have only just been released from hospital

Get an answer from our members and AAMI representatives

AAMI Car Insurance

Underwritten by the Suncorp Network, AAMI offers four car insurance policies: CTP green slip for NSW, ACT and SA, Comprehensive, Third Party Property Damage Only, and Fire, Theft and Third Party Property Damage.

Points of praise for AAMI:

• AAMI's top score was given for its timeliness in responding to claims.
  • Friendly and personable customer service was appreciated. Two customers reported AAMI ‘going above and beyond’ by helping them generously during times of financial hardship.
  • Multiple reviewers reported that AAMI offered to organise Ubers from the repairer to and from their homes. Others enjoyed a smooth and hassle-free experience when making claims, with quick response times from AAMI.

Pain points with AAMI:

• AAMI’s chosen repairers and roadside-assist contractors were thought to be low quality
  • Premiums increasing considerably even with no claims being made (this increase in premiums appeared to also apply to customers who had taken out multiple policies with AAMI, e.g. home and contents insurance along with car insurance).
Compare all 4 AAMI Car Insurance
CategoryRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Business, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and Travel
Coverage TypeCompulsory Third Party (CTP Green Slip)ComprehensiveThird Party Property DamageThird Party, Fire and Theft
UnderwriterAAIAAIAAIAAI
Legal Liability Cover Not IncludedIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 million
Roadside Assistance Not OfferedOptional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Reduced or Zero Excess Windscreen CoverNot OfferedZero Excess Optional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Choice of RepairerNot ApplicableNot AllowedNot AllowedNot Allowed
After Accident Care
Hire Car after an Incident

Not Applicable

Included, up to $90 per day for unlimited days - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location. Benefit ceases when:

• your car is returned undamaged;
  • your car is repaired and returned to you;
  • your claim is settled

Not Included

Emergency Transport & AccommodationNot ApplicableIncluded up to $250 per claim for Transport costs, and up to $1,000 for Emergency Accomodation if you are more than 100km from home (combined with Emergency Repairs and Personal Property)Reasonable taxi costs included for up to 2 journeys (applies to 'Damage by uninsured drivers' claims only)Reasonable taxi costs included for up to 2 journeys
Towing Costs Not ApplicableIncludedIncluded (only for a claim made under 'Damage by uninsured drivers'Included
Hire Car after a No Fault Accident

Not Applicable

Included - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location. Benefit ceases when:

• your car is repaired and returned to you; or
  • your claim is settled

Not Included

Essential / Emergency RepairsNot ApplicableIncluded (combined with Emergency Accomodation & Personal Property), up to $1,000 per incidentNot IncludedNot Included
Benefits
Pay As You Drive / Fixed Kilometre DiscountNot ApplicableNot OfferedNot OfferedNot Offered
Hire Car after Theft

Not Applicable

Included up to 21 days - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location

Not Included

Lock and Key ReplacementNot ApplicableNot IncludedNot IncludedIncluded up to $1,000
Transit Cover Not ApplicableNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Trailer & Caravan CoverNot ApplicableTwo-Wheel Trailer Cover included up to $1,000Not IncludedNot Included
Child Safety Seats and PramsNot ApplicableIncluded up to $500 per claimNot IncludedNot Included
New-for-old Car Replacement

Not Applicable

Included, if you are the first registered owner of the car and it is less than 2 years old

Not Included

Personal Property CoverNot ApplicableIncluded up to $1,000 (combined with Emergency Accomodation and Repairs)Not IncludedIncluded up to $500 (does not include cash, tools and items use for business or trade)
Uninsured Motorist Benefit Not ApplicableNot ApplicableIncluded up to $5,000Included up to $5,000
Accidental Loss or Damage