How to compare car insurance to find the best policy for you

Read now

• 1-2 weeks (24)
    • 2-4 weeks (22)
    • 1-2 months (26)
    • 3+ months (45)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (94) · No (41)

Jace

Jace

Worst service ever. First claim after 20 years will be cancelling all policy and moving to a no sun Corp insurer.

Cindy5

Cindy5sydney

steer away from AAMI, they only us their own repairers

I am shocked with the experience I had with AAMI during this car claim:

not being able to take it to my preferred repairer, have to use their repairer
the extensive delay is in acceptable (2 months and no progress)
the lady AAMI operator offered no help, rude and unprofessional, kept on interrupting the conversation and eventually hung up on me

Worst experience

I had a car accident but the one who was faulty have the 3rd party aami insurance but the way aami treat to me is unbelievable, they never spoke to me just come up with a amount and post that to me through mail. I show my disagree but they not bothered that too.
I suggest dont go with aami.

Lana

LanaGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Its terrible products, poor customer services, very greedy company

We purchased 5 policies including 2 cars and 3 houses with AAMI for many years without claim. Last year, the car has been took away by theft but I did not receive any money from AAMI. AAMI even took the access but did not attempt to contact us. We took them to the court.

John

JohnGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

No respect for loyalty

After 20 years of loyal patronage with no at fault claims the premium went up by 10% and after receiving a quote from a Competitor that was $400 cheaper I rang aami hoping to stay with them but they wouldn’t even drop their price by $50. I was hoping to stay but their customer service was pathetic.

Eugene

EugeneGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Conaiving & patronizing staff & management

They lied to me about extra loading for monthly payment ,they protend to be nice but they evil company ,I would definitely would not recommend them to my anemies horrible people don't trust they happy commercial

Cory M.

Cory M.Canberra 2600, ACT

Near enough is good enough attitude

Don't waste your money on AAMI

Brigitte

BrigitteSydney Surrounds, NSW

Slack

You took my money and did not even have the decency to send me details of my insurance number etc (anything) from you.

Ghazi

GhaziSydney, NSW

Avoid at all cost. Please read before you consider dealing with aami.

The Truth

The TruthIllawarra, NSW

You don't need to know apparently

Been with AAMI for about 5 years over 2 cars.
Email received 11/06 telling me my policy is cancelled from 10/06. I ring up to find out what is going on and they originally hint I didn't have the funds. I use a credit card to pay each month because I know there is plenty on it. No previous issues with the same card before. So after calling them on that they tell me my bank wasn't allowing them to deduct from the card, so banks fault. I get policy reinstated and use that very same card with no issue at all..... please. I receive 1 email, 0 texts, 0 phone calls and they cancel the policy and only let me know that the day after they cancel it. Could never recommend now and will change provider when CTP due in a few weeks.

Danikaanne95

Danikaanne95Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Aami is slack, 0/10 would recommend!

dave

daveGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Unlucky I'm with AAMI

I had a minor crash in the front, I was told to take it to Capital SMART. They had it for 48 hours. I picked my car up and went home. When I got home I realised my windscreen was cracked. I took it back and they said they dropped the bonnet on it. I noticed the whole front end was out of alignment so I took it to my panel beaters and they told me Capital SMART had glued the radiator support panel back on instead of welding it. The whole front end is a disgusting mess. Unlucky I'm with AAMI.

Micky22Melbourne

Disappointing resolution of their error.

Micky22

Update: went with Budgetdirect which saved me almost $500.
Went through fine print on both contracts and the cover is very similar and completely adequate. Now looking at shifting home and contents insurance from AAMI to Budgetdirect.

Jan

JanGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Rip off

Ive been with AAMI for well over 10 years. I have 2 policies with them one of them has gone up to $4600 and the car value is down to $15000 my other policy is much the same . Went to another company and its only $1212 for the exact same policy and with a much higher value for the car shop around before you take a policy with aami i feel ripped off by aami . At aami your a number not a customer

Rach

RachMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

No value in loyalty.

After 17 years of my wife having full comprehensive insurance with AAMI and never making a claim she decided to downgrade her insurance product with them because they cut her cars value in half but still charged the same premium. A few months later after we purchased a newer car and tried to insure it she found out she's lost her rating because she downgraded which was never explained when she did it. No loyalty to loyal customers!!!

when you are with AAMI, you will know how unlucky you are.

The worst company ever!!!!
They don't even deserve one star .
They are good until they are taking your money .
I would not recommend this even to my worst enemy.
be cautious!!!

Swan.

Swan.Perth, WA

Loyalty and safe driving rewarded with higher rates

Extremely frustrated with AAMI. We've been with them for over ten years now. Never made a claim, not once, ever. We have two cars, home and contents.

My loyalty and safe driving is only rewarded with higher rates each year.

My car goes down in value, but my premium goes up. Every year. How can that be?

Do these idiots live under a rock or something? Do they realise that wages aren't going up at their rates? Do they realise there is a pandemic, and many millions lost their jobs? Yet, AAMI continue to treat their most loyal customers like ATMs.

So I shopped around and just found another company offering same insurance, 25% cheaper. That's a lot of savings.

Bye AAMI, you didn't even bother to reply to my email. You won't be missed.

What a relief . Thanks Aami and Ann Whittaker.

My family was impacted by covid 19 disaster as lost jobs were stressful.
Thanks to Aami for 3 month waiver help plus Woolworths voucher was extremely helpful.
Special thanks to Ann Whittaker for kind support and sympathy over the phone .
Given review even on Mozzo too as they deserved.

You are not allowed to give less than one star

We are not customers of this company but we were in an Accident with a person who is.

That person has admitted fault numerous times but her husband is being difficult (he wasn’t there) and AAMI insurance have been terrible at communicating, helping, sorting, and fixing this issue.

We have a severely damaged car, are not at fault, are dealing with an abusive person who is at fault, and a ‘below-par’ insurance company that are not helpful, are unprofessional, and whose workers don’t know their policies, or even the law.

What a terribly stressful, inconvenient and disheartening experience this is becoming.

ChittyD

ChittyDasked

Car Insurance - Comprehensive

I had a trolley driver damage my car while it was parked. 'Hit and Run' situation and there is shopping centre video evidence showing what happened. However, AAMI in their wisdom have decided to deem that the excess paid to have my car repair will not be refunded on the basis that I did not provide the at-fault person's details? How could I as I was not there when this happened. Seems like a clever way to avoid the work involved in clearing me and going after the trolley-company contractor's insurance company to pay for my damages. It this not part of the Insurance service?

Wendy0707

Wendy0707asked

Car Insurance - Comprehensive

How do you decide who is at fault for collision

Fiona
Fiona

It goes by the road laws. For example, if the other person was supposed to give way and you were already in the intersection, then the other person is at fault.

Angelito
Angelito

Hi Wendy! Well it depends if you think fault of the other party, of course they will fight for you but it needs justification. Proof thanks

Jase J.

Jase J.asked

Car Insurance

Why is my claim review taking so long I am homless and live out the car I suffer a neurological disease that causes me to stutter AAMI thought they put the call on hold but took it off for me to hear them picking on my stutter saying nnnnooooo moooonnnnneeeyyyy fffffooooorrrrr hhhhimmmm I have contacted 2gb and am contacting channel 9 I just wanted to hurt myself after hearing the mocking and have only just been released from hospital

Get an answer from our members and AAMI representatives

AAMI Car Insurance

Underwritten by the Suncorp Network, AAMI offers four car insurance policies: CTP green slip for NSW, ACT and SA, Comprehensive, Third Party Property Damage Only, and Fire, Theft and Third Party Property Damage.

Points of praise for AAMI:

• AAMI's top score was given for its timeliness in responding to claims.
  • Friendly and personable customer service was appreciated. Two customers reported AAMI ‘going above and beyond’ by helping them generously during times of financial hardship.
  • Multiple reviewers reported that AAMI offered to organise Ubers from the repairer to and from their homes. Others enjoyed a smooth and hassle-free experience when making claims, with quick response times from AAMI.

Pain points with AAMI:

• AAMI’s chosen repairers and roadside-assist contractors were thought to be low quality
  • Premiums increasing considerably even with no claims being made (this increase in premiums appeared to also apply to customers who had taken out multiple policies with AAMI, e.g. home and contents insurance along with car insurance).
Compare all 4 AAMI Car Insurance
CategoryRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Business, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and Travel
Coverage TypeCompulsory Third Party (CTP Green Slip)ComprehensiveThird Party Property DamageThird Party, Fire and Theft
UnderwriterAAIAAIAAIAAI
Legal Liability Cover Not IncludedIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 million
Roadside Assistance Not OfferedOptional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Reduced or Zero Excess Windscreen CoverNot OfferedZero Excess Optional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Choice of RepairerNot ApplicableNot AllowedNot AllowedNot Allowed
After Accident Care
Hire Car after an Incident

Not Applicable

Included, up to $90 per day for unlimited days - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location. Benefit ceases when:

• your car is returned undamaged;
  • your car is repaired and returned to you;
  • your claim is settled

Not Included

Emergency Transport & AccommodationNot ApplicableIncluded up to $250 per claim for Transport costs, and up to $1,000 for Emergency Accomodation if you are more than 100km from home (combined with Emergency Repairs and Personal Property)Reasonable taxi costs included for up to 2 journeys (applies to 'Damage by uninsured drivers' claims only)Reasonable taxi costs included for up to 2 journeys
Towing Costs Not ApplicableIncludedIncluded (only for a claim made under 'Damage by uninsured drivers'Included
Hire Car after a No Fault Accident

Not Applicable

Included - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location. Benefit ceases when:

• your car is repaired and returned to you; or
  • your claim is settled

Not Included

Essential / Emergency RepairsNot ApplicableIncluded (combined with Emergency Accomodation & Personal Property), up to $1,000 per incidentNot IncludedNot Included
Benefits
Pay As You Drive / Fixed Kilometre DiscountNot ApplicableNot OfferedNot OfferedNot Offered
Hire Car after Theft

Not Applicable

Included up to 21 days - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location

Not Included

Lock and Key ReplacementNot ApplicableNot IncludedNot IncludedIncluded up to $1,000
Transit Cover Not ApplicableNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Trailer & Caravan CoverNot ApplicableTwo-Wheel Trailer Cover included up to $1,000Not IncludedNot Included
Child Safety Seats and PramsNot ApplicableIncluded up to $500 per claimNot IncludedNot Included
New-for-old Car Replacement

Not Applicable

Included, if you are the first registered owner of the car and it is less than 2 years old

Not Included

Personal Property CoverNot ApplicableIncluded up to $1,000 (combined with Emergency Accomodation and Repairs)Not IncludedIncluded up to $500 (does not include cash, tools and items use for business or trade)
Uninsured Motorist Benefit Not ApplicableNot ApplicableIncluded up to $5,000Included up to $5,000
Accidental Loss or Damage