How to compare car insurance to find the best policy for you

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

• Timeliness
  • Job Satisfaction
  • Claim Resolution Time
    • 1-2 weeks (3)
    • 1-2 months (1)
    • 3+ months (2)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (4) · No (1)
Soup Nazi

Soup NaziSydney, NSW

Dodgy premium calculation

Den

DenSydney

Have you ever renewed a policy with AAMI? Then you've been scammed.

It's always more expensive to renew a policy with them than to let it expire and buy a new one (and nowhere have I seen them advertise that new customers get a discount off their normal rates like some other companies do). This is how they reward customer loyalty.
You can easily confirm it yourself by doing an online quote. Try 2 different addresses - your own and your neighbour's, who hopefully doesn't have a policy with them. If your car is currently insured with them the price for your address will be higher, even if your neighbour is just another unit in the same building. In my case the difference is around 12% of the premium.

alex c.

alex c.Victoria

Disappointed with their service

We bought 3 policies with AAMI,but so far I couldn't access to the AAMI club and everyday saving account,communicated with them quite a few times,email not responsed,the problem is there,very disappointed with their services

Dee

DeeCanberra

Not interested in retaining customers

I left AAMI after being with them for 10 years .
Got tired of getting renewals at higher rates and getting cheaper online offers from them . This is inspite of a good driver record and no claims in years. I called to get a better offer and it was still higher than the one I got emailed . I don’t know how they justify the price difference .

Years ago when I claimed, the repairs always took longer than expected yet I still stuck around. Getting tired of having no value as long customer.

Annie P

Annie PGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Hiking Premiums

I went back to AAMI after being unimpressed with another insurer. I was happy with my monthly premium and paid it, and even accepted the $11/month premium hike last year, albeit a little put off and annoyed.

I get my quote for renewal this morning. I’ve made zero claims, given them zero issues except for a couple of bungled direct debits, and they hiked my premium up by $17/month AKA $200 a year! Unbelievable and extremely dodgy. Will not be renewing with AAMI. My pet insurance provider is more reasonable than this and I’ve actually MADE claims with them!

Douille

Douille

Poorest of the poorest customer service

Mistake after mistake over my claim.
Rude customer service.
Always giving excuses to justify their lack of professionalism.
I realised being just a number to them, but as long as you pay !!!!
Never ever experienced this before
They have removed all humanity in their company.
Go everywhere else except Aami

UNLUCKY YOU ARE WITH AAMI should be their slogan

Ben S.

Ben S.Sydney, NSW

Extremely clunky and buggy website, defective system that gives an error every time i try to view my policy

I've had a car insurance with them for over 3 years now, and you know what, every year after i paid for the renewal, it never sends me a confirmation, and when i login to check the policy, it always gives an error. i had to call them to send me a certificate of currency and the customer service rep told me their system is just buggy like that, and they didn't know why it always fails.

Next year I'm thinking about moving to another insurer for sure.

Insurance Premium Theft !!!

coyotetk

coyotetkCanberra

After I made a windscreen claim they put my policy up by $200

I made a windscreen claim with AAMI last year and it was repaired quickly with no issues, as expected. However, when my policy came up for renewal this year the premium was $200 higher and the car value was lower than last year (obviously with depreciation). I rang up to ask about this and the customer service officer told me that the premium would have gone up because I made a claim on the windscreen. So I pay AAMI for the service of covering me but then get charged again when AAMI actually have to come good on their side.

I was also told that the car is covered for full market value, but then why would AAMI put a price on the policy.

When I expressed how wrong this seemed she offered me a discount of around $130.

Insurance TypeCompulsory Third Party

Craig G.

Craig G.South East Queensland, QLD

Would have been a great experience if not for smart alec condescending staff

Neale D.

Neale D.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Good service, but...

Put a claim through for my motorcycle that was badly damaged in an accident. Everything went rather smoothly, got paid for my bike and gear. But..
I made it clear from the start, that I wanted the salvage back, as I had lots of accessories that weren't covered. After being told a few different stories, lies from a supervisor, I now have no choice but to buy it back from the auction place it ended up at.

Extremely frustrating!!

Sam

SamSydney, NSW

Best Phone Call With AAMI Insurance - Made Me Laugh abit

So I was rear ended by an uninsured car and started a claim with AAMI as my policy covers that sort of accident especially when i am not at fault.

Long story short, i got a call from AAMI saying they would like to take my car in for repairs and the moment i said " thank you, he has been pretty unco-operative'' she told me hold the phone and then said we cant send the car for repairs literally in the same phone call where they called me to choose a repairer hahaha they're dodgy but funny so it balances out

Slow tries to avoid claim

My car was damaged by a person who was arrested by Vic Police, charged and convicted. AAMI wanted me to pay the excess. It took 3 months for them to agree to cover the excess.

L_Parsons

L_ParsonsNSW, 2155

High Price CTP

I have no qualms about paying more for a good product with reliable customer service, I do so (not with AAMI) for my comprehensive insurance on all 3 cards I own. However, asking for nearly double that of QBE for CTP is ridiculous. Why is it so outrageously expensive?? It's CTP for crying out loud. I have, obviously, not renewed the CTP that the previous owner had on the car. I felt so outraged by the amount that I felt it necessary to voice my outrage with this review.

Ree

ReeHunter Region, NSW

Safe rewards not based on customer loyalty - based on years a specific policy is held

Have held comprehensive car insurance, ctp, house and contents with AAMI for at least 10 years. 2 cars in family, same drivers. No claims affecting safe driver rewards. Realised second car only received 5% discount and diamond status lost as we purchased a new car - sold the old one which held 3rd party property damage for a short period of time.
Very disappointed that AAMI would not even give us a lilltle extra discount to maintain our policy - obviously they do not want or need our business!

Find out how AAMI Car Insurance compares to other Car Insurance

Do. It reward loyalty at all

Insurance claim madeNo

Roadside assist doesn't cover everything

My car was crashed into when parked, and when I got back to my car and found it undrivable, I rang roadside assist. They said because it was not a mechanical issue, they could not help me. I told them that I was almost out of battery on my phone and its dark and raining, but still no help. They transferred me to claims and was put on hold. I had to hang up and call a friend to help and get a tow truck.
My call to them when I had a flat battery was excellent, my car was in my secure parking spot at home and they came and changed the battery.

Insurance claim madeYes

Waste of time

gwater

gwater

Long waiting time, automated answer instead of real person

AAMI has recently replaced the real person answering the phone with automated service, which now requires the customers to wait very long time. I have been put on call waiting for 30 min to ask for simple renewal which never arrived in mail or via email.

Dann80

Dann80Adelaide

Roadside assistance is a joke

Wendy0707

Wendy0707asked

Car Insurance - Comprehensive

How do you decide who is at fault for collision

Fiona
Fiona

It goes by the road laws. For example, if the other person was supposed to give way and you were already in the intersection, then the other person is at fault.

Angelito
Angelito

Hi Wendy! Well it depends if you think fault of the other party, of course they will fight for you but it needs justification. Proof thanks

Jase J.

Jase J.asked

Car Insurance

Why is my claim review taking so long I am homless and live out the car I suffer a neurological disease that causes me to stutter AAMI thought they put the call on hold but took it off for me to hear them picking on my stutter saying nnnnooooo moooonnnnneeeyyyy fffffooooorrrrr hhhhimmmm I have contacted 2gb and am contacting channel 9 I just wanted to hurt myself after hearing the mocking and have only just been released from hospital

jay shankhar

jay shankharasked

Car Insurance

the car is my name where as my wife is the main driver, can i insure the car in her name please

S G
S G

You can insure the car while including her as the main driver. However, it is still your car and the insurance will pay you if something happened to your car.

Fired Up
Fired Up

Ask AAMI

Get an answer from our members and AAMI representatives

AAMI Car Insurance

Underwritten by the Suncorp Network, AAMI offers four car insurance policies: CTP green slip for NSW, ACT and SA, Comprehensive, Third Party Property Damage Only, and Fire, Theft and Third Party Property Damage.

Points of praise for AAMI:

• AAMI's top score was given for its timeliness in responding to claims.
  • Friendly and personable customer service was appreciated. Two customers reported AAMI ‘going above and beyond’ by helping them generously during times of financial hardship.
  • Multiple reviewers reported that AAMI offered to organise Ubers from the repairer to and from their homes. Others enjoyed a smooth and hassle-free experience when making claims, with quick response times from AAMI.

Pain points with AAMI:

• AAMI’s chosen repairers and roadside-assist contractors were thought to be low quality
  • Premiums increasing considerably even with no claims being made (this increase in premiums appeared to also apply to customers who had taken out multiple policies with AAMI, e.g. home and contents insurance along with car insurance).
Compare all 4 AAMI Car Insurance
CategoryRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Business, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and Travel
Coverage TypeCompulsory Third Party (CTP Green Slip)ComprehensiveThird Party Property DamageThird Party, Fire and Theft
UnderwriterAAIAAIAAIAAI
Legal Liability Cover Not IncludedIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 million
Roadside Assistance Not OfferedOptional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Reduced or Zero Excess Windscreen CoverNot OfferedZero Excess Optional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Choice of RepairerNot ApplicableNot AllowedNot AllowedNot Allowed
After Accident Care
Hire Car after an Incident

Not Applicable

Included, up to $90 per day for unlimited days - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location. Benefit ceases when:

• your car is returned undamaged;
  • your car is repaired and returned to you;
  • your claim is settled

Not Included

Emergency Transport & AccommodationNot ApplicableIncluded up to $250 per claim for Transport costs, and up to $1,000 for Emergency Accomodation if you are more than 100km from home (combined with Emergency Repairs and Personal Property)Reasonable taxi costs included for up to 2 journeys (applies to 'Damage by uninsured drivers' claims only)Reasonable taxi costs included for up to 2 journeys
Towing Costs Not ApplicableIncludedIncluded (only for a claim made under 'Damage by uninsured drivers'Included
Hire Car after a No Fault Accident

Not Applicable

Included - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location. Benefit ceases when:

• your car is repaired and returned to you; or
  • your claim is settled

Not Included

Essential / Emergency RepairsNot ApplicableIncluded (combined with Emergency Accomodation & Personal Property), up to $1,000 per incidentNot IncludedNot Included
Benefits
Pay As You Drive / Fixed Kilometre DiscountNot ApplicableNot OfferedNot OfferedNot Offered
Hire Car after Theft

Not Applicable

Included up to 21 days - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location

Not Included

Lock and Key ReplacementNot ApplicableNot IncludedNot IncludedIncluded up to $1,000
Transit Cover Not ApplicableNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Trailer & Caravan CoverNot ApplicableTwo-Wheel Trailer Cover included up to $1,000Not IncludedNot Included
Child Safety Seats and PramsNot ApplicableIncluded up to $500 per claimNot IncludedNot Included
New-for-old Car Replacement

Not Applicable

Included, if you are the first registered owner of the car and it is less than 2 years old

Not Included

Personal Property CoverNot ApplicableIncluded up to $1,000 (combined with Emergency Accomodation and Repairs)Not IncludedIncluded up to $500 (does not include cash, tools and items use for business or trade)
Uninsured Motorist Benefit Not ApplicableNot ApplicableIncluded up to $5,000Included up to $5,000
Accidental Loss or Damage