How to compare car insurance to find the best policy for you

Read now

• 1-2 weeks (13)
    • 2-4 weeks (18)
    • 1-2 months (28)
    • 3+ months (43)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (63) · No (42)

Joel s.
Joel s.Perth, WA

HORRIBLE,STAY AWAY

Stay away from this mob. Quoted $10,000 to be repaired. Which in reality. All repairers 3 to $4000. Ask how it come up to much. No clear explanation. Easy figured it out. Its economical for them to wreck or write off your beloved car. Then payout less and then they auction it. They will move without you knowing thinking its on a repair and assessment shop. When i found out they already towed it to a auction and salvage company. Hoping or convinced already that you got scared and write it off for a 2 door and quarter panel.

Roadside Not Assist

One wheel bogged on a lawn after torrential rain. AAMI refused to help us for an ever increasing number of reasons, from looks steep on google maps (it wasn’t very steep), the tow truck might get damaged ....?. What? And finally after 30 minutes when I said why not let the tow truck driver decide as he is the expert and you’re sat in a call centre I was transferred to a supervisor who told me that being bogged isn’t covered, only mechanical breakdown. Do not use this dreadfully unhelpful service.

Other Car Insurance

Car stolen - no payout - after 43 years of AAMI being my insurer. Disgraceful treatment

I have been with Aami for 43 years as my car insurer. Car got stolen in January and they have rejected the claim. Headed to AFCA to resolve. Shouldn’t have come to this!

Chelleid
ChelleidTasmania

Do not go with AAMI

They are fine taking your money believe me, but as soon as you have an issue with a repair that was done they will leave you hanging for weeks and weeks. Terrible communication. Won't reply to emails. Needed a repair that was only partially completed relooked at that was missed off the original claim. Told me some 5 weeks ago or more ago that an assessor would contact me. STILL waiting. I do not have time for this incompetence. Will never go with AAMI in the future. Home and contents - great. Car - appalling.

Terrible

Best Super Funds in 2020!

Wendy Z.7 Nov 2019
best-super-funds-in-2020

Best Credit Cards in 2020!

Wendy Z.19 Nov 2019

Worst car insurance- Please do not buy any AAMI insurance

Terry J.
Terry J.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Authorised Repairer Only

Tried to get my car fixed in Dandenong . Closest repairer they use is Hallam. I told them I have no time to take it there and could I use a repairer close to me. Came back to me saying I have to use their authorised repairer. All repairers do insurance work. NEVER AGAIN>

Andrew Buckley
Andrew BuckleySouth East Queensland, QLD

Rip Off

These guys won't pay out on a simple theft case. They just try and find excuses and use exclusions which don't apply. I would avoid them and their parent Suncorp at all costs.

Sue
SueSouth East Queensland, QLD

Appalling service. Actually, I didn’t get any service.

I rang AAMI three times yesterday afternoon (4th Feb 21) and each time I pressed the prompts, got the spool and then phone call was disconnected. This happened twice after I pressed prompts for claims and then once when I tried comprehensive. Appalling service ☹️

Manny
MannyGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

AAMI is a good service provider UNTILL you envolved in an accident.

TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE SERVICE.
Its been 60 days since my car is with repairer (AAMI’s suggested repairer) Even estimated pick up date passed away by 10 days. Called repairer and got reply that even they don’t know how long will it take. Even no help from AAMI.

Terrible service

Madhav S.
Madhav S.Perth, WA

Terrible service

Charles
CharlesQueensland

You've got to be kidding

I called AAMI for a quote on my truck after my current policy jumped up by 21% this renewal, They offered me the same coverage I have now but with a $600 deductible instead of $1000 I have now. The difference? My new renewal with the company I am with is $957.00, AAMI's quote was $2127.85. Well over double. I am so "lucky I'm not with AAMI" Maybe a few less commercials and you can give a decent quote.

Sharn
SharnSouthwest, VIC

3 months later 4 repairs later and my car has more problems and nothing fixed from when I originally took it in!

tmlawrance
tmlawranceHunter Region, NSW

They used to be good, now they are crap. After more than 20 years - I am moving my insurances away from them.

ChittyD
ChittyDasked
Car Insurance - Comprehensive

I had a trolley driver damage my car while it was parked. 'Hit and Run' situation and there is shopping centre video evidence showing what happened. However, AAMI in their wisdom have decided to deem that the excess paid to have my car repair will not be refunded on the basis that I did not provide the at-fault person's details? How could I as I was not there when this happened. Seems like a clever way to avoid the work involved in clearing me and going after the trolley-company contractor's insurance company to pay for my damages. It this not part of the Insurance service?

Wendy0707
Wendy0707asked
Car Insurance - Comprehensive

How do you decide who is at fault for collision

Fiona
Fiona

It goes by the road laws. For example, if the other person was supposed to give way and you were already in the intersection, then the other person is at fault.

Angelito
Angelito

Hi Wendy! Well it depends if you think fault of the other party, of course they will fight for you but it needs justification. Proof thanks

Jase J.
Jase J.asked
Car Insurance

Why is my claim review taking so long I am homless and live out the car I suffer a neurological disease that causes me to stutter AAMI thought they put the call on hold but took it off for me to hear them picking on my stutter saying nnnnooooo moooonnnnneeeyyyy fffffooooorrrrr hhhhimmmm I have contacted 2gb and am contacting channel 9 I just wanted to hurt myself after hearing the mocking and have only just been released from hospital

Get an answer from our members and AAMI representatives

AAMI Car Insurance

Underwritten by the Suncorp Network, AAMI offers four car insurance policies: CTP green slip for NSW, ACT and SA, Comprehensive, Third Party Property Damage Only, and Fire, Theft and Third Party Property Damage.

Points of praise for AAMI:

• AAMI's top score was given for its timeliness in responding to claims.
  • Friendly and personable customer service was appreciated. Two customers reported AAMI ‘going above and beyond’ by helping them generously during times of financial hardship.
  • Multiple reviewers reported that AAMI offered to organise Ubers from the repairer to and from their homes. Others enjoyed a smooth and hassle-free experience when making claims, with quick response times from AAMI.

Pain points with AAMI:

• AAMI’s chosen repairers and roadside-assist contractors were thought to be low quality
  • Premiums increasing considerably even with no claims being made (this increase in premiums appeared to also apply to customers who had taken out multiple policies with AAMI, e.g. home and contents insurance along with car insurance).
Compare all 4 AAMI Car Insurance
CategoryRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Business, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and Travel
Coverage TypeCompulsory Third Party (CTP Green Slip)ComprehensiveThird Party Property DamageThird Party, Fire and Theft
UnderwriterAAIAAIAAIAAI
Legal Liability Cover Not IncludedIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 million
Roadside Assistance Not OfferedOptional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Reduced or Zero Excess Windscreen CoverNot OfferedZero Excess Optional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Choice of RepairerNot ApplicableNot AllowedNot AllowedNot Allowed
After Accident Care
Hire Car after an Incident

Not Applicable

Included, up to $90 per day for unlimited days - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location. Benefit ceases when:

• your car is returned undamaged;
  • your car is repaired and returned to you;
  • your claim is settled

Not Included

Emergency Transport & AccommodationNot ApplicableIncluded up to $250 per claim for Transport costs, and up to $1,000 for Emergency Accomodation if you are more than 100km from home (combined with Emergency Repairs and Personal Property)Reasonable taxi costs included for up to 2 journeys (applies to 'Damage by uninsured drivers' claims only)Reasonable taxi costs included for up to 2 journeys
Towing Costs Not ApplicableIncludedIncluded (only for a claim made under 'Damage by uninsured drivers'Included
Hire Car after a No Fault Accident

Not Applicable

Included - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location. Benefit ceases when:

• your car is repaired and returned to you; or
  • your claim is settled

Not Included

Essential / Emergency RepairsNot ApplicableIncluded (combined with Emergency Accomodation & Personal Property), up to $1,000 per incidentNot IncludedNot Included
Benefits
Pay As You Drive / Fixed Kilometre DiscountNot ApplicableNot OfferedNot OfferedNot Offered
Hire Car after Theft

Not Applicable

Included up to 21 days - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location

Not Included

Lock and Key ReplacementNot ApplicableNot IncludedNot IncludedIncluded up to $1,000
Transit Cover Not ApplicableNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Trailer & Caravan CoverNot ApplicableTwo-Wheel Trailer Cover included up to $1,000Not IncludedNot Included
Child Safety Seats and PramsNot ApplicableIncluded up to $500 per claimNot IncludedNot Included
New-for-old Car Replacement

Not Applicable

Included, if you are the first registered owner of the car and it is less than 2 years old

Not Included

Personal Property CoverNot ApplicableIncluded up to $1,000 (combined with Emergency Accomodation and Repairs)Not IncludedIncluded up to $500 (does not include cash, tools and items use for business or trade)
Uninsured Motorist Benefit Not ApplicableNot ApplicableIncluded up to $5,000Included up to $5,000
Accidental Loss or Damage