How to compare car insurance to find the best policy for you

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

• Timeliness
  • Job Satisfaction
  • Claim Resolution Time
    • 1-2 weeks (1)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (1) · No (0)
Becca89

Becca89Victoria, Australia

Not as good as they once were

Over the past two years my car insurance quotes have gone up by $20 a month each year. I have gone from paying around $75 to paying around $110. I haven't gotten a new car and I haven't moved. One can only assume that they haven't grasped the concept that cars devalue with age.
Unfortunately still the cheaper than RACV
Ridiculous price hikes

k22hari

k22hariCanberra

Service standards have fallen

eardleyAU

Customer Service has deteriorated especially since they decided to quotes/renewals online/phone only

Dave from Sydney

Dave from SydneySydney, NSW

Good service, poor repairs

alias47

alias47MELBOURNE

Delays, delays and more delays

API

APIAU

was ok but monthly payment slowly started going up

have had a few vehicles with aami. Price was standard, not cheap but not high. Was good for a while until the monthly payment started increasing by a few dollars without me noticing. Had one claim and was sorted out fast. Service was friendly and helpful but wasnt impressed with the prices as ive been a customer for a few years and didnt really recieve any discounts or anything.
friendly service
prices, monthly payment info, no rewards

Con-Syoomer

Con-SyoomerAU

Two minds

Not so Lucky any more. We were insured with AAMI for many years. in the past 18 months, my partner and I were in two separate accidents, both our first and only, both not our fault. We still have rating 1! AAMI shouldn't have been out-of-pocket as the other drivers' insurance covered everything. Repairs were done well and promptly.

BUT, we recently bought a second car and went to insure with them and they wanted more than double the normal amount because of past claims, even though they didn't foot the bill for those claims. Obviously, we went elsewhere.
Good service
Asked for more than double normal premiums for no valid reason

mixinmarcBrisbane, QLD

Renewal Quotation: Lack of Transparency

J_xo

J_xoVIC

OK

I have had several dealing's with AAMI car insurance. The last time this accident wasn't my fault and AAMI dealt with it in a professional matter. They helped me and gave me advice on what to do (other driver was being hard to negociate with) and AAMI backed me up 110%! Only downside to the entire claim was they got to choose where my car got fixed. I gave them the required quotes but at the end of the day I didn't get to choose where it get's fixed. Slightly disspointing. But nothing major. When it comes to prices, I have found they are reasonable. But do recommend to shop around!
Quick settlement process. Good customer service
That you are unable to choose where you get your car repaired

Rwalkerden53

Rwalkerden53NSW, 2127

So far ,so good,but...

chezryl

chezrylMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

OK

I often wondered if I was paying more for insurance because she had lots of other perks. I did claim once and it was my fault but I did not have any negativity towards me it was more matter or fact - yes you were in the wrong. I made two calls and the rest was sorted out for me. However when I was looking at ways of saving money I found that another insurance company was actually cheaper so I switched to them.
Helpful. Had no problems putting in a claim that was my fault.
I ened up leaving AAmi only because I found cheaper insurance elsewhere.

euneeqemmy

euneeqemmyAU

katty123

katty123Victoria

OK

these guys were really cheap for me to go through, althought they wouldnt compete with racv or anyone when i asked if they could beat a price
also they wouldnt insure me for an agreed amount it all had to be market value, so they lost me as a customer
but other than that they were pretty easy and straight forward to get a quote and do any other dealings with.
but this company wasnt for me
cheap
not very negotable

beebeegee

beebeegeeMelbourne, Vic

OK

After 8 years and 3 auto and a home policy with AAMI, I bought a new car and the bank persuaded me to get an insurance quote from CGU. It was $120 less than AAMI. I then quoted AAMI on the internet and it was $180 less than my renewal! Same excess, etc, so a proper comparison. I ring AAMI and they can save me a whopping $28 from the quoted renewal. I could buy a new AAMI policy off the net and save some dollars, but why? They don't seem to need my business so I won't give it to them. Summary is good cover, good service, crap business practices.
Good claims processing, taxi home from their claims depot, arrange the repair in full
They arrange the repair in full, their renewal rates are above their online quotes by $100++

OK

Although AAMI provides great quality and very friendly staff, it would be much better to go with other beaper companies (bingle, budget etc.)
AAMI does provide great customer service njust as the preception from their advertisements create. Staff seem to care about you and deal with you as efficiently as possible. High quality services (repairers have high quality)
Price! AAMI is much more expensive than other car insurance companies.

madcatter

madcatter

fmigan

fmigan

OK

Overall I think that AAMI car insurance is as good as any other - it's not amazing, but it's not abysmal either. I had two insurance claims this year and both were handled relatively well by AAMI and the repairs were fixed in a timely manner. I was disappointed to learn that I would have to pay extra for a hire car while my car was being repaired, but that was my own fault for not reading the insurance contract I guess
I can pay for my comprehensive insurance monthly rather than annually and this really helps me budget for my insurance
I think the excess is too high ($550)

OK

Overall their service is very good but their phone consumer consultants need better training and focus on customer's needs.
Cliams are settled very quickly, efficiently and professionally
Very bad salespeople. I wanted to buy an insurance for a second car for my daughter and the salesperson wanted me to get quotes for every dent I have on that car. When I said I don't have any quotes he said why dont you get your car repaired? I said the dents to me were minor (to me) and not worth repairing. He said he can refuse to insure me if I do not give him quotes. No other insurers had given me that trouble before. Of course it turned me away.

global_leader

global_leader

OK

I haven't had to make a claim, and I am scared when the time comes that I will get shafted. I am under 25 so its a lot cheaper than all of the others, my premium was $1k for a 4 cyl Honda, some others wanted $2.5k. Dreaming!
cheap cheap, the girl in the photo is also attractive
none as yet

ChittyD

ChittyDasked

Car Insurance - Comprehensive

I had a trolley driver damage my car while it was parked. 'Hit and Run' situation and there is shopping centre video evidence showing what happened. However, AAMI in their wisdom have decided to deem that the excess paid to have my car repair will not be refunded on the basis that I did not provide the at-fault person's details? How could I as I was not there when this happened. Seems like a clever way to avoid the work involved in clearing me and going after the trolley-company contractor's insurance company to pay for my damages. It this not part of the Insurance service?

Wendy0707

Wendy0707asked

Car Insurance - Comprehensive

How do you decide who is at fault for collision

Fiona
Fiona

It goes by the road laws. For example, if the other person was supposed to give way and you were already in the intersection, then the other person is at fault.

Angelito
Angelito

Hi Wendy! Well it depends if you think fault of the other party, of course they will fight for you but it needs justification. Proof thanks

Jase J.

Jase J.asked

Car Insurance

Why is my claim review taking so long I am homless and live out the car I suffer a neurological disease that causes me to stutter AAMI thought they put the call on hold but took it off for me to hear them picking on my stutter saying nnnnooooo moooonnnnneeeyyyy fffffooooorrrrr hhhhimmmm I have contacted 2gb and am contacting channel 9 I just wanted to hurt myself after hearing the mocking and have only just been released from hospital

Get an answer from our members and AAMI representatives

AAMI Car Insurance

Underwritten by the Suncorp Network, AAMI offers four car insurance policies: CTP green slip for NSW, ACT and SA, Comprehensive, Third Party Property Damage Only, and Fire, Theft and Third Party Property Damage.

Points of praise for AAMI:

• AAMI's top score was given for its timeliness in responding to claims.
  • Friendly and personable customer service was appreciated. Two customers reported AAMI ‘going above and beyond’ by helping them generously during times of financial hardship.
  • Multiple reviewers reported that AAMI offered to organise Ubers from the repairer to and from their homes. Others enjoyed a smooth and hassle-free experience when making claims, with quick response times from AAMI.

Pain points with AAMI:

• AAMI’s chosen repairers and roadside-assist contractors were thought to be low quality
  • Premiums increasing considerably even with no claims being made (this increase in premiums appeared to also apply to customers who had taken out multiple policies with AAMI, e.g. home and contents insurance along with car insurance).
Compare all 4 AAMI Car Insurance
CategoryRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Business, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and Travel
Coverage TypeCompulsory Third Party (CTP Green Slip)ComprehensiveThird Party Property DamageThird Party, Fire and Theft
UnderwriterAAIAAIAAIAAI
Legal Liability Cover Not IncludedIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 million
Roadside Assistance Not OfferedOptional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Reduced or Zero Excess Windscreen CoverNot OfferedZero Excess Optional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Choice of RepairerNot ApplicableNot AllowedNot AllowedNot Allowed
After Accident Care
Hire Car after an Incident

Not Applicable

Included, up to $90 per day for unlimited days - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location. Benefit ceases when:

• your car is returned undamaged;
  • your car is repaired and returned to you;
  • your claim is settled

Not Included

Emergency Transport & AccommodationNot ApplicableIncluded up to $250 per claim for Transport costs, and up to $1,000 for Emergency Accomodation if you are more than 100km from home (combined with Emergency Repairs and Personal Property)Reasonable taxi costs included for up to 2 journeys (applies to 'Damage by uninsured drivers' claims only)Reasonable taxi costs included for up to 2 journeys
Towing Costs Not ApplicableIncludedIncluded (only for a claim made under 'Damage by uninsured drivers'Included
Hire Car after a No Fault Accident

Not Applicable

Included - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location. Benefit ceases when:

• your car is repaired and returned to you; or
  • your claim is settled

Not Included

Essential / Emergency RepairsNot ApplicableIncluded (combined with Emergency Accomodation & Personal Property), up to $1,000 per incidentNot IncludedNot Included
Benefits
Pay As You Drive / Fixed Kilometre DiscountNot ApplicableNot OfferedNot OfferedNot Offered
Hire Car after Theft

Not Applicable

Included up to 21 days - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location

Not Included

Lock and Key ReplacementNot ApplicableNot IncludedNot IncludedIncluded up to $1,000
Transit Cover Not ApplicableNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Trailer & Caravan CoverNot ApplicableTwo-Wheel Trailer Cover included up to $1,000Not IncludedNot Included
Child Safety Seats and PramsNot ApplicableIncluded up to $500 per claimNot IncludedNot Included
New-for-old Car Replacement

Not Applicable

Included, if you are the first registered owner of the car and it is less than 2 years old

Not Included

Personal Property CoverNot ApplicableIncluded up to $1,000 (combined with Emergency Accomodation and Repairs)Not IncludedIncluded up to $500 (does not include cash, tools and items use for business or trade)
Uninsured Motorist Benefit Not ApplicableNot ApplicableIncluded up to $5,000Included up to $5,000
Accidental Loss or Damage