How to compare car insurance to find the best policy for you

Read now

• 1-2 weeks (21)
    • 2-4 weeks (23)
    • 1-2 months (29)
    • 3+ months (43)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (92) · No (42)

Charles
CharlesQueensland

You've got to be kidding

I called AAMI for a quote on my truck after my current policy jumped up by 21% this renewal, They offered me the same coverage I have now but with a $600 deductible instead of $1000 I have now. The difference? My new renewal with the company I am with is $957.00, AAMI's quote was $2127.85. Well over double. I am so "lucky I'm not with AAMI" Maybe a few less commercials and you can give a decent quote.

Sharn
SharnSouthwest, VIC

3 months later 4 repairs later and my car has more problems and nothing fixed from when I originally took it in!

tmlawrance
tmlawranceHunter Region, NSW

They used to be good, now they are crap. After more than 20 years - I am moving my insurances away from them.

K Brown
K BrownMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Inconvenience when it comes to repairs

Danny
DannyGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Legalised Mafia

Took my premiums, then one day someone hit my car whilst it was parked and drove off. Now they will only partially pay 30% of the damage as they claim a new paint job will put the car in a better position than previous.

Watch out, they make your life hell to get out of paying up.

Best Super Funds in 2020!

Wendy Z.7 Nov 2019
best-super-funds-in-2020

Best Credit Cards in 2020!

Wendy Z.19 Nov 2019

ChangaziGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Terrible & dodgy Insurance company

Matt
Matt

Great if you let them take money and that's it - Worst service ever!!!!!!!

corey w.
corey w.Gippsland, VIC

Worst insurance company ever

Over 6 months have passed since my car was stolen. Took over 3 months to approve my claim and a further 3 months for the repairs. Still don’t have it.

natasha
natashaGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Shocking company who does not honour claims

Shocking company. Had 3 cars and fully comprehensive house insurance for over ten years. We had comtainated fuel which blew up engine was taken to a mechanic who did tests that said it was contaminated fuel. The car sat there for 6 weeks before an assessor came out. Chris Garrick from AAMI finally assessed the car and informed us he had no clue what happend but knew it was not faulty petrol. We were left with no car. Stay away. You have been warned.

She
SheTasmania

The worst insurance company, with very poor customer service and very unreliable.

This insurance company is the worst with very poor customer care service, no ethic and so unreliable. I have lodged a complaint, gave all required informations, staff so incompetent: each staff provide different information ( misleading). Though I provided an update of address, they still use the old one.

Wanderer
WandererSydney, NSW

Worst insurance company to make a claim with

klubear
klubearGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

AAMI took away all my choices and left me stranded on Tuesday night.

Mike
Mikesydney

useless uneducated staff

The worst insurance company bar none

staff cannot read have zero customer service skills
have the common sense of a kindergarten child

absolutely clueless bunch of trained monkeys
Do not under any circumstances do business with AAMI

Yanara
YanaraSydney, NSW

The worst insurance company

I was insured with AAMI about 4 months. I got an email saying my policy has been canceled due to an overdue payment that somehow wasn’t debited from my bank account over a month. I’ve read many reviews here and people are getting the same problem. Never received any bill not even a call from anyone from AAMI. I called them and was informed that I had to start another policy and the price would be higher. You guys don’t give a damn to your costumers. You guys think that canceling people’s policy is gonna make them get another policy, you wrong! I feel I’ve been robbed over these 04 months of insurance! I decided to don’t getting another policy, I’m getting from someone else. Take care.

MDC
MDCSouthwest, VIC

Pathetic

ChittyD
ChittyDasked
Car Insurance - Comprehensive

I had a trolley driver damage my car while it was parked. 'Hit and Run' situation and there is shopping centre video evidence showing what happened. However, AAMI in their wisdom have decided to deem that the excess paid to have my car repair will not be refunded on the basis that I did not provide the at-fault person's details? How could I as I was not there when this happened. Seems like a clever way to avoid the work involved in clearing me and going after the trolley-company contractor's insurance company to pay for my damages. It this not part of the Insurance service?

Wendy0707
Wendy0707asked
Car Insurance - Comprehensive

How do you decide who is at fault for collision

Fiona
Fiona

It goes by the road laws. For example, if the other person was supposed to give way and you were already in the intersection, then the other person is at fault.

Angelito
Angelito

Hi Wendy! Well it depends if you think fault of the other party, of course they will fight for you but it needs justification. Proof thanks

Jase J.
Jase J.asked
Car Insurance

Why is my claim review taking so long I am homless and live out the car I suffer a neurological disease that causes me to stutter AAMI thought they put the call on hold but took it off for me to hear them picking on my stutter saying nnnnooooo moooonnnnneeeyyyy fffffooooorrrrr hhhhimmmm I have contacted 2gb and am contacting channel 9 I just wanted to hurt myself after hearing the mocking and have only just been released from hospital

Get an answer from our members and AAMI representatives

AAMI Car Insurance

Underwritten by the Suncorp Network, AAMI offers four car insurance policies: CTP green slip for NSW, ACT and SA, Comprehensive, Third Party Property Damage Only, and Fire, Theft and Third Party Property Damage.

Points of praise for AAMI:

• AAMI's top score was given for its timeliness in responding to claims.
  • Friendly and personable customer service was appreciated. Two customers reported AAMI ‘going above and beyond’ by helping them generously during times of financial hardship.
  • Multiple reviewers reported that AAMI offered to organise Ubers from the repairer to and from their homes. Others enjoyed a smooth and hassle-free experience when making claims, with quick response times from AAMI.

Pain points with AAMI:

• AAMI’s chosen repairers and roadside-assist contractors were thought to be low quality
  • Premiums increasing considerably even with no claims being made (this increase in premiums appeared to also apply to customers who had taken out multiple policies with AAMI, e.g. home and contents insurance along with car insurance).
Compare all 4 AAMI Car Insurance
CategoryRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Business, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and Travel
Coverage TypeCompulsory Third Party (CTP Green Slip)ComprehensiveThird Party Property DamageThird Party, Fire and Theft
UnderwriterAAIAAIAAIAAI
Legal Liability Cover Not IncludedIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 million
Roadside Assistance Not OfferedOptional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Reduced or Zero Excess Windscreen CoverNot OfferedZero Excess Optional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Choice of RepairerNot ApplicableNot AllowedNot AllowedNot Allowed
After Accident Care
Hire Car after an Incident

Not Applicable

Included, up to $90 per day for unlimited days - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location. Benefit ceases when:

• your car is returned undamaged;
  • your car is repaired and returned to you;
  • your claim is settled

Not Included

Emergency Transport & AccommodationNot ApplicableIncluded up to $250 per claim for Transport costs, and up to $1,000 for Emergency Accomodation if you are more than 100km from home (combined with Emergency Repairs and Personal Property)Reasonable taxi costs included for up to 2 journeys (applies to 'Damage by uninsured drivers' claims only)Reasonable taxi costs included for up to 2 journeys
Towing Costs Not ApplicableIncludedIncluded (only for a claim made under 'Damage by uninsured drivers'Included
Hire Car after a No Fault Accident

Not Applicable

Included - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location. Benefit ceases when:

• your car is repaired and returned to you; or
  • your claim is settled

Not Included

Essential / Emergency RepairsNot ApplicableIncluded (combined with Emergency Accomodation & Personal Property), up to $1,000 per incidentNot IncludedNot Included
Benefits
Pay As You Drive / Fixed Kilometre DiscountNot ApplicableNot OfferedNot OfferedNot Offered
Hire Car after Theft

Not Applicable

Included up to 21 days - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location

Not Included

Lock and Key ReplacementNot ApplicableNot IncludedNot IncludedIncluded up to $1,000
Transit Cover Not ApplicableNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Trailer & Caravan CoverNot ApplicableTwo-Wheel Trailer Cover included up to $1,000Not IncludedNot Included
Child Safety Seats and PramsNot ApplicableIncluded up to $500 per claimNot IncludedNot Included
New-for-old Car Replacement

Not Applicable

Included, if you are the first registered owner of the car and it is less than 2 years old

Not Included

Personal Property CoverNot ApplicableIncluded up to $1,000 (combined with Emergency Accomodation and Repairs)Not IncludedIncluded up to $500 (does not include cash, tools and items use for business or trade)
Uninsured Motorist Benefit Not ApplicableNot ApplicableIncluded up to $5,000Included up to $5,000
Accidental Loss or Damage