How to compare car insurance to find the best policy for you

Read now

• 1-2 weeks (12)
    • 2-4 weeks (4)
    • 1-2 months (2)
    • 3+ months (2)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (32) · No (1)
Saintlbc

SaintlbcSydney, NSW

AAMI.. You can do better

My vehicle was written off on April 21st.
It was towed to an AAMI holding yard on April 23rd for assessment... I have consequently been on the phone on 3 occasions for periods of 45-60 minutes.. I was informed on May 3rd it was written off.. then supposedly transferred to the Total Loss Dept... waited 60 minutes then someone answered the phone and hung up...
I did not utter a word....
AAMI, you can do better

Cass

CassPerth, WA

I actually do feel lucky.

I was involved in an accident where I wasn't at fault. Staff were really kind, caring and helpful. Car is a write off as its not worth much. Less than a week since the accident and the funds for my car are already in my account. I will be taking out a policy with AAMI for the next car I buy. I couldn't fault them. I am really happy with the service.

Soup Nazi

Soup NaziSydney, NSW

Dodgy premium calculation

Den

DenSydney

Have you ever renewed a policy with AAMI? Then you've been scammed.

It's always more expensive to renew a policy with them than to let it expire and buy a new one (and nowhere have I seen them advertise that new customers get a discount off their normal rates like some other companies do). This is how they reward customer loyalty.
You can easily confirm it yourself by doing an online quote. Try 2 different addresses - your own and your neighbour's, who hopefully doesn't have a policy with them. If your car is currently insured with them the price for your address will be higher, even if your neighbour is just another unit in the same building. In my case the difference is around 12% of the premium.

alex c.

alex c.Victoria

Disappointed with their service

We bought 3 policies with AAMI,but so far I couldn't access to the AAMI club and everyday saving account,communicated with them quite a few times,email not responsed,the problem is there,very disappointed with their services

Good Experience

Have 2 comprehensive vehicle insurance policies with AAMI, made a claim this year for minor damage caused by another vehicle whose details i had. I found the claim process quick and painless l did refuse to accept their 1st preference repairer and was escalated to a manager where i argued for another repairer l was familiar with for good work who was also a registered AAMI repairer but not promoted by AAMI. I had a hire car arranged and taxi to/from repairer. Based on my experience and I'm not someone who tolerates bad service I couldn't fault my experience and would recommend.
Only downside is their premiums increase by double digit % annually however if you call their c/s agent does have authority to reduce by 3%-5%.

AngelitoGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Easy and no red tapes regarding claims

I would like to thank this insurance for their excellent customer service and of course for processing my claims so quickly. I took me only few minutes to claim for my car repair and booked me in straight away for repair. I’m very happy that I decided to insured my car with AAMI. So for those looking for good insurance, this insurance is highly recommended. A+++

Josh wineti

Josh wineti

I have been with AAMI for the last 5 or 6 years, could be more. Always very helpful and great on roadside assistance. When I lodged claims they take all the pressure off. Even through these toughs times gave me a great deal and discount, being off work. Much appreciated.

Insurance TypeComprehensive
Dee

DeeCanberra

Not interested in retaining customers

I left AAMI after being with them for 10 years .
Got tired of getting renewals at higher rates and getting cheaper online offers from them . This is inspite of a good driver record and no claims in years. I called to get a better offer and it was still higher than the one I got emailed . I don’t know how they justify the price difference .

Years ago when I claimed, the repairs always took longer than expected yet I still stuck around. Getting tired of having no value as long customer.

Ozdog

OzdogGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Good Insurance

I am currently an AAMI customer that is looking for new car insurance as my premiums have gone up a lot. However while on this website I have seen a lot of 1 star reviews and that does not reflect my time with AAMI. We have made three claims with AAMI over 10 years and each time they have been AWESOME. Flood damage ruined one car and they paid out within 3 days. A tree branch damage a car but no problems getting it fixed. If I do leave it is on price alone.

NATASHA

NATASHAGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Excellent customer service

Fantastic customer service, negotiated policy pricing to my advantage. The lady was so considerate and kind with my dealings. Been with Aami for a very long time and never been let down.

What a relief . Thanks Aami and Ann Whittaker.

My family was impacted by covid 19 disaster as lost jobs were stressful.
Thanks to Aami for 3 month waiver help plus Woolworths voucher was extremely helpful.
Special thanks to Ann Whittaker for kind support and sympathy over the phone .
Given review even on Mozzo too as they deserved.

Allen L.

Allen L.

Very good customer service and swifty repair

Car hit by someone's car so needed to make claim. Claim online application was easy and fast. Customer Service rep followed up very promptly. Repair was swifty and done in one day while new bumper, reverse senor and side panel required. Uber for free to and from repair center. Repair center staff were nice and professional. Been through different insurers but AAMI has given best experience.

Rubyluby

RubylubyMelbourne

Unbelievable generosity

I have been recently impacted by Covid-19 and contacted AAMI to see if I could possibly catch up my payments. They waived my car insurance for 3 months and sent me a $100 Woolworths voucher. I almost cried. I cannot believe that they could be so kind and empathetic and go over and above. The customer service rep was just lovely. I cannot fault them.

Spirit Warrior

Spirit WarriorPerth, WA

Incredibly helpful in a time of stress

My husband and I both have AAMI comprehensive car insurance. They have been the most cost effective insurer the past few years running. Recently, we have been impacted by COVID-19. After attempting to juggle finances we got in touch with AAMI. They waived our premiums for 3 months each and also gifted us with a voucher. We were so appreciative of the first class customer service. They honestly went above and beyond in a time of personal crisis for us. Neither of us have needed to make a claim on our insurance up until now, so we genuinely hope that they would offer the same level of customer service if we ever needed to.

Annie P

Annie PGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Hiking Premiums

I went back to AAMI after being unimpressed with another insurer. I was happy with my monthly premium and paid it, and even accepted the $11/month premium hike last year, albeit a little put off and annoyed.

I get my quote for renewal this morning. I’ve made zero claims, given them zero issues except for a couple of bungled direct debits, and they hiked my premium up by $17/month AKA $200 a year! Unbelievable and extremely dodgy. Will not be renewing with AAMI. My pet insurance provider is more reasonable than this and I’ve actually MADE claims with them!

Douille

Douille

Poorest of the poorest customer service

Mistake after mistake over my claim.
Rude customer service.
Always giving excuses to justify their lack of professionalism.
I realised being just a number to them, but as long as you pay !!!!
Never ever experienced this before
They have removed all humanity in their company.
Go everywhere else except Aami

UNLUCKY YOU ARE WITH AAMI should be their slogan

Chan t.

Chan t.Perth, WA

Aami -efficient, quick and wonderful service

I have been with many insurance company in my lifetime . I must say AAMI have been nothing but amazing . Both times I was in minor car accidents, I had no trouble getting my claims . It was so simple and quick ! They even offered Uber service to and from home. So thank u once again from the bottom of my heart AAMI.

Matt

Matt

Smooth experience

Had a really smooth experience with AAMI, from the initial claims call, follow up txts and emails, to sorting a rental car while mine was being repaired. They organised Ubers from the repairer to the rental place and back. Even the repairer Capital Smart was very professional. Used to be with Coles, AAMI is far better.

Insurance TypeComprehensive
Fastcat45

Fastcat45North Western Region, NSW

Great company who have quick response times. Whole family of 5 have all policies with Aami for many years. Recently had to make a claim for the Canberra hail storms and whole issue was resolved within 14days from start to finish.

ChittyD

ChittyDasked

Car Insurance - Comprehensive

I had a trolley driver damage my car while it was parked. 'Hit and Run' situation and there is shopping centre video evidence showing what happened. However, AAMI in their wisdom have decided to deem that the excess paid to have my car repair will not be refunded on the basis that I did not provide the at-fault person's details? How could I as I was not there when this happened. Seems like a clever way to avoid the work involved in clearing me and going after the trolley-company contractor's insurance company to pay for my damages. It this not part of the Insurance service?

Wendy0707

Wendy0707asked

Car Insurance - Comprehensive

How do you decide who is at fault for collision

Fiona
Fiona

It goes by the road laws. For example, if the other person was supposed to give way and you were already in the intersection, then the other person is at fault.

Angelito

Hi Wendy! Well it depends if you think fault of the other party, of course they will fight for you but it needs justification. Proof thanks

Jase J.

Jase J.asked

Car Insurance

Why is my claim review taking so long I am homless and live out the car I suffer a neurological disease that causes me to stutter AAMI thought they put the call on hold but took it off for me to hear them picking on my stutter saying nnnnooooo moooonnnnneeeyyyy fffffooooorrrrr hhhhimmmm I have contacted 2gb and am contacting channel 9 I just wanted to hurt myself after hearing the mocking and have only just been released from hospital

Get an answer from our members and AAMI representatives

AAMI Car Insurance

Underwritten by the Suncorp Network, AAMI offers four car insurance policies: CTP green slip for NSW, ACT and SA, Comprehensive, Third Party Property Damage Only, and Fire, Theft and Third Party Property Damage.

Points of praise for AAMI:

• AAMI's top score was given for its timeliness in responding to claims.
  • Friendly and personable customer service was appreciated. Two customers reported AAMI ‘going above and beyond’ by helping them generously during times of financial hardship.
  • Multiple reviewers reported that AAMI offered to organise Ubers from the repairer to and from their homes. Others enjoyed a smooth and hassle-free experience when making claims, with quick response times from AAMI.

Pain points with AAMI:

• AAMI’s chosen repairers and roadside-assist contractors were thought to be low quality
  • Premiums increasing considerably even with no claims being made (this increase in premiums appeared to also apply to customers who had taken out multiple policies with AAMI, e.g. home and contents insurance along with car insurance).
Compare all 4 AAMI Car Insurance
CategoryRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Business, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and TravelBusiness, Health, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life, Motorcycle, Pet and Travel
Coverage TypeCompulsory Third Party (CTP Green Slip)ComprehensiveThird Party Property DamageThird Party, Fire and Theft
UnderwriterAAIAAIAAIAAI
Legal Liability Cover Not IncludedIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 million
Roadside Assistance Not OfferedOptional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Reduced or Zero Excess Windscreen CoverNot OfferedZero Excess Optional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Choice of RepairerNot ApplicableNot AllowedNot AllowedNot Allowed
After Accident Care
Hire Car after an Incident

Not Applicable

Included, up to $90 per day for unlimited days - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location. Benefit ceases when:

• your car is returned undamaged;
  • your car is repaired and returned to you;
  • your claim is settled

Not Included

Emergency Transport & AccommodationNot ApplicableIncluded up to $250 per claim for Transport costs, and up to $1,000 for Emergency Accomodation if you are more than 100km from home (combined with Emergency Repairs and Personal Property)Reasonable taxi costs included for up to 2 journeys (applies to 'Damage by uninsured drivers' claims only)Reasonable taxi costs included for up to 2 journeys
Towing Costs Not ApplicableIncludedIncluded (only for a claim made under 'Damage by uninsured drivers'Included
Hire Car after a No Fault Accident

Not Applicable

Included - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location. Benefit ceases when:

• your car is repaired and returned to you; or
  • your claim is settled

Not Included

Essential / Emergency RepairsNot ApplicableIncluded (combined with Emergency Accomodation & Personal Property), up to $1,000 per incidentNot IncludedNot Included
Benefits
Pay As You Drive / Fixed Kilometre DiscountNot ApplicableNot OfferedNot OfferedNot Offered
Hire Car after Theft

Not Applicable

Included up to 21 days - must use car by AAMI provider if available and within a reasonable distance of your location

Not Included

Lock and Key ReplacementNot ApplicableNot IncludedNot IncludedIncluded up to $1,000
Transit Cover Not ApplicableNot IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Trailer & Caravan CoverNot ApplicableTwo-Wheel Trailer Cover included up to $1,000Not IncludedNot Included
Child Safety Seats and PramsNot ApplicableIncluded up to $500 per claimNot IncludedNot Included
New-for-old Car Replacement

Not Applicable

Included, if you are the first registered owner of the car and it is less than 2 years old

Not Included

Personal Property CoverNot ApplicableIncluded up to $1,000 (combined with Emergency Accomodation and Repairs)Not IncludedIncluded up to $500 (does not include cash, tools and items use for business or trade)
Uninsured Motorist Benefit Not ApplicableNot ApplicableIncluded up to $5,000Included up to $5,000
Accidental Loss or Damage