Accu-Chek Performa

1.8

Richard

RichardSydney, NSW

A brilliant monitor

Purchased in February 2021 at eBay for $35.00.

Worst machine

Worst machine ever it wasn't working properly only after 2 months and they sent me a replacement pack which is also not working. It's just a waste of money. Don't buy this.

Purchased in March 2020 for $1,000.00.

wonderful

wonderfulDarwin, NT

IT WENT FOR YEARS WITH NO PROBLEMS

This monitor went for years with no problems and then just stopped working one morning. tried new batteries no effect. Bought another newer model which came up with the error code every time we used it and had to keep removing the battery Changed to another brand but the strips are so tiny hubby has trouble getting the blood drop onto the strip. Just saw the review about the Maxwell Hitachi brand of Battery so will purchase one and see if this will fix the original Accu Check monitor

Purchased for $40.00.

Ian

IanAU

Dangerously Bad

Had two of these and one Nano. Nano did ok but the Performa started constantly reporting an E-1 code. Now the second one is doing it with a new battery in it and new strips. Genuinely a bad product.

Inaccurate reports of blood sugar level with huge variations barely a minute apart. Frequent errors that do not correspond with the explanations on their website. Battery life terrible.

This product should never be trusted. Waiting for the company to contact me with regard to a refund for machine and strips.

Purchased in December 2019 for $50.00.

tinyboy

tinyboy

Rubbish

Have no confidence in the Accucheck Performa 3 different readings in 1 minute with up to 2 mmol difference. Big disappointment and worrying considering I marked the first reading as gospel. Might also help if they answered their phones.

Purchased in June 2019 at Chemist Warehouse for $100.00.

john

johnSydney, NSW

Unreliable - don't trust it

I've bough it from Chemist Warehouse because I've run out of my Omnitest 3 teststrips. Lately it was showing 8.4 every morning, sometimes even higher. It didn't make sense. Finally I've got my Omnitest test strips from the UK and tested my blood with both at the same time. My Omnitest was measuring 5.6 while Accu-check was measuring 8.4. Unfortunately we can't buy Omnitest in Australia. Why are they always selling garbage in this country?

Purchased in November 2019 at Chemist Warehouse for $50.00.

Results not accurate at all!

I bought AccuCheck performa for my father and he just threw it away... He used for one day, when checking several times he gets different results(same finger with a few minutes interval each time). To me, this product is associated with waste of money and disappointed father.

Purchased in October 2019.

kalsaintPerth, WA

Silver Performa reliability

No issue with this meter since Jan 2016 but failed today (blank screen - first thing in the morning!). Battery changed out once since 2015 and is not the cause of failure today. Results precision and accuracy is good being within 10% stated by Accu-Chek. Consecutive results similar.
My past other meters used have been Accu-Chek Integra (Oct 2008-July 2015) and True Results (March 2015- Feb 2019), each showing similar performance to te Accu-Chek Performa. Battery life was good with 1 change per meter).
Procedure discipline is the key. Variability only occurred in the early 4 years of my 11 years as a Type 2 Diabetic. Getting the process for blood sampling correct is paramount for relatively recent Diabetes customers.

Purchased in January 2016 at Amcal Chemist Kalgoorlie for $30.00.

Gaz

GazPerth, WA

These are just rubbish.

Purchased in August 2019 for $49.00.

Find out how Accu-Chek Performa compares to other Diabetes Care Products

Been using it for almost 9 years!

I have been using this meter for almost nine years now and it works great. Several times I compared my fasting BGs with the results from lab, and they are all within the same 'interpretation' range. However I noticed that this meter tends to err on the low side, possibly to prevents user from being hypoglycemic. I almost have no complaint about this meter at all (or was I just lucky to get one device that isn't faulty like many other reviewers have here?). I just wish the strips could be cheaper.

Purchased in August 2010 for $40.00.

Avoid acc-check performa II as well

Purchased in April 2019 at Chemist Warehouse.

Accurate check performa wrong results

I had the same experience just now I tested three times one after an other and every time there was different results. I bought this machine few days back it's like I burnt may money.

Purchased in March 2019 for $2,900.00.

Phill

PhillHunter Region, NSW

Very poor battery life.

Frustrating to say least, chews up batteries something horrendous. Lucky to get 40 tests on new battery. No wonder it was free on promotion they can have it back. Not worth the hassle.

Purchased in November 2018 at Chemist Warehouse.

Same finger, different results each time

I had an inexplicably high reading one time and I thought it could be because I didn’t wash my hands properly, so I retested and my blood sugar level went to the normal ranges.

Today I decided to see if the problem could be the machine itself, so I did 3 readings in a row, all from the same pricked finger. I got 6.8, 7.2 & 8.1. I’m now stressing out because I have gestational diabetes and I’m not sure if all my readings throughout the past month have been inaccurate.

Purchased in February 2019.

Morton BHunter Region, NSW

What a disgrace, hang your heads in shame. DON'T PURCHASE

Purchased to replace another, what a mistake, batteries flat first test, new batteries in at my expense, flat after 5 tests. Called help line, still waiting. Sent them an email, they sent me one back to call helpline, after I put down step by step what the problem was. Call help line still waiting. Load of garbage.

Mrs K

Mrs KSuva

Not reliable!!!

The machine was working fine at first than after a few weeks, my readings hit really high and I went into panic mode! Not to mention, I'm pregnant! So before I had to do a mandatory blood glucose test (2 point test) at my local hospital, I tested before each blood draw and the first which was the fasting result was 5.6mmol/l (at 7am) and the second which was after breakfast was 6.4mmol/l (at 10am) - these were my accu check performs results!!

To my surprise, when I went for clinic the next day both my readings from the lab test were actually 5.1 mmol/l (for the 7am and 10am blood draws)

I don't trust the results from the meter! They cause unnecessary pressure!!

kiy

kiysydney

Dangerous results

I totally agree with the previous reviews. When I was getting results that varied a lot, I decided to contact them but was told the results varying by 10% is acceptable. No wonder you get a cash back on the product. Otherwise it would not sell.

Zeina T

Zeina TAU

Inaccurate readings..

I have gestational diabetes and for the first 3 weeks the device was perfect, now it gives so many different readings which are unrealistically high and inaccurate. Today I had to do the test four times to get a proper reading. It went from 12.8 to 5.8 in less than two minutes...total rubbish and battery goes flat very quickly.

Complete garbage

As testified by others here, the readings are wildly variable, so you can't trust it's accuracy. 6 months later the unit just kept generating errors for about two days before finally dying completely. It's now an expensive paperweight! DO NOT BUY!!

Highly inaccurate.

Accu-check performa is so inaccurate that I do not use it anymore. I bought this product with 50 strips on a promo sales in July 2017.I was surprised with the low result of the 1st test. I tried 2 more tests to check the repeatability but there is none. The 1st result was 101 mg/dl followed by 130 and 125. Several succeeding days using 3 strips showed also highly dubious results.

sturnbull

sturnbullasked

Did your Performa fail soon after you bought it? Did it not work properly from the get go?

If so, you are entitled to a full refund, including for consumables such as batteries (if you bought more because it chewed through them) and test strips (if you can't use them with another device). There is no particular time limit to claim a refund if a product has a major fault when you buy it or develops one shortly after.

You can get a refund from the shop where you purchased the device, or directly from Roche if the retailer is no longer in business.

You could also get a replacement device from the retailer or from Roche (but you may not want to given the poor track record). Make sure it doesn't have a serial number in the faulty batch (see TGA report for details).

Just mention the Australian consumer guarantees:
www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/consumer-guarantees#consumer-guarantees-on-products-and-services

And the report issued by the TGA here:
www.tga.gov.au/alert/accu-chek-guide-and-accu-chek-performa-blood-glucose-meters

If you think it is bad that Roche is continuing to sell devices in the affected serial number ranges, then you can make a general complaint to the ACCC or your state/territory consumer affairs body telling them so.

You can also tell your pharmacist about this and direct them to the TGA report. They may wish to remove devices with affected serial numbers from sale (they are not obliged to do this but may wish to do so).

Wickramasinghe S.
Wickramasinghe S.

To understand the ACCu check reading you have to read another dozens of pages. Which could increase your blood pressure causing another problems. I dont know any reason that "why anyone buy such products"

benjaminasked

My accocheck performa showing very wrong result as high sugar levels. same time it shows lower result at hospital machine. What to do? i bought it within 6 months?

Morton B

Hi Ben, you need to go purchase another brand. I had no luck with these people all they want is to fob you off. Get yourself a freestyle optimum as I have had these for years and tried the accucheck but have gone back they will replace if anything is wrong and bend over backwards to help. Hope this helps.

benjamin

Thank you Morton. Your advise is valuable and thanks again.

kiy

kiyasked

I have the Accu-chek performance nano. One morning I was shocked to find my fasting reading at 6.8. I washed my hands and repeated with another finger, this time 6.0. Repeating it the third time gave a 6.3 reading. I spoke to Accu-chek on the phone and was told that it is acceptable if the reading varies by 2.0mmol/l. In other words, when my reading is normally 6.0, I should not panic if I get a reading of 8.0! Had anyone else had this experience? What is the use of testing when you can get such a big variance?

Peter F
Peter F

That is exactly the information I have received as well and is my experience to boot. I find that the accucheck system is so varied in its readings as to be both unreliable and pointless. On any given day 3 blood tests can vary as much as 2.1mmol/l (which is my record variance) Why would we spend money undertaking checks with a blood metering system which has such extreme variations. It makes little to no sense at all and seems totally pointless to me. I am very anti this system (all systems actually) at the moment as at present I cannot find a system on the market that will provide a blood reading with a modicum of accuracy. I'm very disappointed I have wasted so much time and money on this.

I have come to the conclusion that a single reading shouldn't be relied upon, however a series of readings that are in a range probably gives you a reasonable idea of where you are. I was around 7.5 and became vegan as a way of reducing my BGL and reversing my diabetes. I am now at around 5.5. I measure the fasting level every morning, so you can imagine how interested in this topic I am. After my experience above my initial objectives was to get "into the 6's". Once there I wanted to be "in the 5's", which is where I am now. Now I want to get into the 4's". I seem to be in the low 5's so I want better accuracy too. Anyway I would consider in individual readings as one only in a trend. Hope this helps.

CategoryDiabetes Care Products