Bayer Advocate

Bayer Advocate Questions & Answers

Orange (Small Cat), Purple (Large Cat), Green (Small Dog), etc...

108 questions from our users

Lesley B.

Lesley B.asked

When can you bath the dog after using Advocate?

Border

Borderasked

Used advocate for first time on 6 month old cross Persian kitten. Six hours later running around very unsettled and scratching all over body. Previous months used revolution with no reaction. Now trying to rest he is breathing very fast. Kitten is blue and my border collie blue pups had similar reaction to Advantix but not advocate.

brombo

Sounds like an allergy so I wouldn't use it again. My guess is that such a reaction its very unusual as I have used Advocate many times on my cat and several dogs with no adverse effects whatsoever.

Marnie Smith

It makes my Mainecoon cat very ill. Within 1 - 2 days use he begins vomitting violently - all through my house wont eat , dribbles. It happened multiple times before I realised this was the cause. I definetly wont be using it again. I recommend doing some research & maybe speak to a few vets to see if they can recommend safer alternatives. Hope he feels better soon :(

helen

helenasked

My dog - 7 years old and 5kg - suffered hair loss last time I provided her treatment with Advocate for small dogs. This happened about 2 years ago also. The leaflet says hair will grow back - and it is - but she is due for her next monthly treatment in w week - and her hair is still growing back. Is it OK to treat her again with the product or should I use something else?

Marnie Smith

Its scary it makes hair fall out. My dog hasnt had this issue. But last cat dose I gave my cat he vomittied violently all through my house for 2 days. So from my experience id probably wait a while before giving more.. maybe call your vet for advice. :)

brombo

I ha e not had anything like this happen with my dogs or cat but you should clearly consult your vet on the matter.

Heather B.

Heather B.asked

I accidently gave my7 week old pup a quarter of worming tablet one week too early from it's last first dose.

Ade B.

Ade B.asked

We have an 11 week old Jack Russell, we’ve just bathed him, can we apply advocate 3 days early?

brombo

Use flea powder for the next three days and then use it just to be on the safe side.

Lorraine

Lorraineasked

I havent been given the leaflet for advocate for my dog, how should I keep the pipette. The vet has said I need to put a drop on the back of his neck every 4 weeks so need to know how to keep it?

Rachel M.asked

Advocate Purple (Large Cat)

I used this on my cat about 2 weeks ago and while the fleas left, the poor little think was so irritated yesterday and I realised she has a complete bald patch about 2cm wide and about 3cm long (her hair is quite thick to the point you can barely see skin when you part the fur, usually) and greasy skin with red bumps on the exact place I put the treatment... This was the first time we used this product, other products have been fine. Has anyone else had this happen?

Lisa
Lisa

I’ve had the exact same problem happen this month with my cat. I’ve been using advocate for years though and this is the first time he has got a bald spot after it’s application. The only thing I did differently was put it abit further down than usual on his neck/back. I’ve put some betadine on his skin so hopefully that helps .. Did your cats bald spot recover?

Rachel M.

It took months for my cat to recover it actually kept getting worse, more hair fell out over that week and the irritation spread & it turned out to be a chemical burn that was literally eating away at her skin :( it had to be treated with a steroid cream & antibiotic I’ll never use a spot treatment again! I researched chemical burn from flee treatment and while it doesn’t happen all the time when it does it’s quite bad.. Her hair has all grown back now and no irritation on her! I’m not sure if the placement had anything to do with it as her hair is so thick it was placed on lower neck but either way it really shouldn’t cause such reactions.. Is your cat ok did the betadine work?

traylee

trayleeasked

Advocate Orange (Small Cat)

How long is the expiry date? I dont have the box they were bought april 2019

Jazz A.asked

hi! my question isnt about the product but has anyone in here having problem with their dog mites also infecting you tho i know mites cant survive human body but it still leaves mark, red bump and causes itchiness. how did you get rid of it ?

Lee

Leeasked

Just wondering if I can apply Profender(red,cat)& Frontline plus on the same day?

Enya
Enya

Would not use bayer advocate products if you paid me. Used advocate on my dog was vomiting blood within 16 hours ended up with ibd and 5000 pounds of vet bills.

Lynda D.asked

My dog swims in the sea regularly with me (like most days). Will Advocate remain effective for the entire month?

bill bayley
bill bayley

What does it say on the packet?? I just did a simple google search & found the answer

Lynda D.

I don't have a packet, need to find out before I buy it. I googled it too and have read conflicting reports which is why I asked on here.

Jazz A.

I was advised by the vet not to wash my dog for 5days after applying the advocate so most likely you cant bring your dog to swim with you for five days. maybe after.

Brian Potter

Brian Potterasked

Advocate Purple (Large Cat)

I left my cats solution in my car for three hours, the incar temperature was above 30 c maybe 35c, is it still safe to use it

Helen J.

Helen J.asked

Advocate Blue (Medium Dog)

I gave my dog her treatment and three hours later she jumped in a river. She was not fully submerged and only felt slightly damp on her back. Will the advocate have worked. We are also now in Devon where ticks are rife should I give her another treatment. Thanks Helen

Shwa

Shwaasked

I accidently used advocate for small dogs between 4-10kg on my puppy instead of the puppy up to 4kg. Is this likely to cause him any harm? I noticed it's 2.5 times the dose on the pamphlet.

Cat

Catasked

Advocate Orange (Small Cat)

My cat has managed to groom where some of the advocate has bled out to the length of her fur. Will she be ok?

Carolyn

Carolynasked

Advocate Purple (Large Cat)

My 4kg cat is very skittish and difficult to apply drops onto in order to empty the pipette completely.
Is it okay & still effective to split the pipette between 2 days? E.G half dose first day and remainder the next?

Jennie K.

Jennie K.asked

Advocate Blue (Medium Dog)

My daughter has accidentally put medium dog advocate on our large dog ( luckily not the other way around). Does this mean she won’t be protected this month as obviously if I put the large dose on now she will be overdosed. Would we be able to put another medium dog on her or is it just not worth the risk?

Judy W.

Judy W.asked

Advocate Purple (Large Cat)

Use advocate regularly and found tiny white worms can use advocate again last dose twelve days ago Thanks Judy

Aref Eshghi
Aref Eshghi

Where on the cat did you find the worms?

TrudyfromOz
TrudyfromOz

The same with my cat. And to your question Aref, worms are surrounding the bum on the cat.

Celeste H

Celeste Hasked

Advocate Grey (Extra Large Dog)

I am fostering a 3.5 yr old mixed breed shepherd/am. staffordshire/bull terrier/mix. 64 lbs=29.03kg. Heart worm positive adult and microfilaria. Last blood test showed no more microfilaria (dirofilaria?). 3/7/19 she received her first treatment and spent the day at the vet in case there was a reaction. Only lethargic. Today 3/21/19 I applied a second treatment as I was instructed and will apply monthly from now on. My question is will this treatment be enough to kill the adult heartworms and keep them from producing young??? The Advocate box I have shows a shepherd and bernard on the front.

A D from India

A D from Indiaasked

If Advocate >25 kg size is used instead of Advantix in a Labrador 10 years old with kidney disease Creatinine 3.4-3.8 is it harmful?

Get an answer from our members and Bayer representatives