AGL Energy

AGL Energy Questions & Answers (page 2 of 3)

1.3 from 1,586 reviews

49 questions from our users

Amandavan

Amandavanasked

I've had ongoing problems with AGL for nearly 7 Years. They never did anything to solve these problems. They keep telling me very rudely that they never did anything wrong that I am to blame. There is the saying "The Customers are always right" this is when you have a Business. I can't cope with AGL'S threats and demands anymore. They just want more and more money all the time. They don't care if you are on a Pension (like I am) or you are an old person or sick whatever as long as they get their money they want they are happy.
My friends told me that they found out that people contact Consumer Affairs and also they can contact the Parliament in Canberra too. What you do is to get as many AGL Gas and Electricity Bills where you know they made errors on and send this to the Parliament with a Letter. They go through everything and they contact AGL directly overseas.
Are there anyone who know about this?? It is true?
Amanda

Jayden Y.AGL Energy

Thanks for your question, Amanda! I just wanted to check in and offer you a contact point for AGL directly, as we'd love to take a look at your account and see what we can do to help resolve this long ongoing issues. You can reach us via email at onlinereviews@agl.com.au if you'd like to have a chat! Kind regards, Jayden.

Dani
Dani

In all honesty I think you should always contact the energy ombudsman first to advocate on your behalf to have your issues resolved. My issues have now been resolved thanks to ombusman escalating my complaint to senior resolutions. Now that has been done I am changing providers. If Agl have failed you so many times in 7 years with incorrect bills why did you not contact ombudsman and also change providers? There are far better deals with different providera that just sticking with agl as I have found out..

Casey52

Casey52asked

The Queensland Government Electricity Rebate as from December, 2017 is stated at $340.85 per year (365 days) which equates to 93.38 cents per day. For a Billing period if 91 days it equates to $84.97, however the rebate by AGL amounted to $77.25. Why are AGL not passing on the full rebate which they will be claiming from the Qld Government?

Jayden Y.AGL Energy

Thanks for your question, Casey52! Your Government rebate appears on your bill exclusive GST. Once you add the GST to the figure of $77.25, your rebate increases to $85.08, which is far closer to your calculation. Hopefully this clears things up, but if there is anything else that we can help with you're always welcome to send an email through to onlinereviews@agl.com.au! Kind regards, Jayden.

Kathy  E

Kathy Easked

If I am 1 day late paying my pay on time account account will I loose my discount for that quarter ?

John
John

You probably will.
I just paid my account on the due date, then received a text message that my account is overdue. I was told by AGL that because I used BPay, the payment can take 2 days to go through and as the account was not paid by the due date, I will not get a discount.
These people are pirates.

Robasked

How can a corrupted company like AGL, rip people off on estimated gas and electricity meter reads and like to threaten and bully customers when they dispute on their overcharged accounts???
How are they still allowed to supply energy to customers with their filthy illegal practices?
Why??

Zeeshan
Zeeshan

Hi Rob,

Because the Govt and system supports them. I just spoke to Ombudsman on the phone and they said we can't do anything, they had advertised their rate change on their website!!!! Can you believe, besides our work we should be downloading their Terrif pdf document every month to see if they are going to rip us off? Even though the representative of Ombudsman understand that this is wrong and she is also victim but she can't do anything because they have complied with requirement to notify on their website.. What a crap!
Anyway nothing can be done, I just wish we get batteries powerful enough to turn off this AGL type robbers.

Best regards, Zeeshan

Hi zeeshan
I know their lying because I just dealt with them and I proved they were wrong.
AGL put the rates on their website but not until 3rd of July after the rate increase, not before July 1 when they were supposed to.
Also, we had received the previous qtr bill 3 weeks before the rate hike, if they were planning to change the tariff on gas usage, they should have let everyone know on the previous bill issued 3 weeks earlier.
This was just a deliberate way to cheat everyone so nobody knew about the rate increase and people should have a right to know what we're being charged before the increase,
I only found out about the increase because I was looking at switching to AGL with electricity and I asked what the gas rates were before I did this.
When they told me they were doing a flat rate, I challenged them and ended up calling the ombudsman before
I got the bill because I knew my bill would double based on their new flat rate Tarif.
I went straight on the product review website to warn others because I knew everyone else were going to get ripped off based on their new rates.
The ombudsman should help you like they helped me, I think AGL may have given them a little hush money to lie to customers when they dispute their bills.
I will call the ombudsman again and demand them to help people out because I know exactly what AGL have done to rip people off and its daylight robbery.

Rajimon

Rajimonasked

Hi,
I got my last AGL gas bill from June 11th to 13th September. From July first onwards, the bill is only have peak rates.
I used to have a bill with Peak, Peak next, Peak next format. This time the total bill charged with Peak rate. I usually gets a bill around $300 quarterly, but this time because of this change increased to $1130. Is there any possible way to dispute this billing ? I was not intimated about this price hike.

Rob

You can dispute this bill to the energy ombudsman.
I received a gas bill that was over $1550.
After speaking to the ombudsman several times, not getting anywhere with AGL to resolve this and after receiving a few threats from AGL, I ended up paying $900.
AGL just keep making threats but never let your guard down, remember, your the one being ripped off by them so keep fighting till the ombudsman take things to a higher level and AGL must resolve the issue.
If your not happy the way AGL treats you (cos I will guarantee you they will keep threatening you until you give in and also lie to get their way to the ombudsman) keep contacting the ombudsman till your happy with the outcome.
I hope this helps you and many other people who are going through the same situation.

Julian

Julianasked

I am looking to switch my energy retailer and a lady from iSelect recommended that I choose AGL.

I have a smart meter configured for flexible (peak / off peak / shoulder) tariffs. I pay my bills on time. According to her, a customer such as myself can pay as low as 11cents/kWh (for off peak hours). Thats incredibly low!

However she couldn't send me any documents to support this. Have not heard back from her since...

I can't find any price sheet on the AGL website either.

Can anyone verify this? Thanks very much. Cheers...

Jenny96
Jenny96

AGL sponsors iSelect, ie. they get money from AGL and accordingly you cannot trust their recommendations. Look at the government comparison sites. For Victoria https://compare.switchon.vic.gov.au/ or other states https://www.energymadeeasy.gov.au/

Rob

If you connect with AGL, may you R.I.P.

Tina
Tina

Stay away from AGL, you will be sorry if you do business with those crooks. Check out all the bad reviews.

Neil

Neilasked

How much does AGL Energy pay for power from a solar home?

Seacrest
Seacrest

Sorry Neil, You should direct this to AGL

tej

tejasked

Hey!
Earlier I was on simple agl electricity plan but now they shifted me to energy saver. What is the difference?

Amie
Amie

No idea sorry, I went to energy Australia.. Better rates and discounts with them

steve64
steve64

Hi Tej
Don't know, all I can advise I'd get away from them if you can, they make pirates look like angels.
Try Alinta, better discounts and better phone service.

Macca skippy

Macca skippyasked

Why do energy companies have so many negative reviews? AGL and Origin must have the worst reviews of any Australian company. WE need a Royal Commission into gas prices, in SA the prices are double that of Victoria and SA has plenty of gas fields?

Alan
Alan

It is because our politicians are lobbied by the energy (and other big) companies so all their policies and decisions are pro big business and subsequently at consumer expense. Is it not wonderful that in Japan consumers pay less than we do for our gas and that is after the Jap government puts a tax on it. And in the news now is AGL planning to import gas into Aus because they make lots of profit. No royal commission, just have the Gov fix the price at the cost to produce plus 20%. 20% sounds like a fair profit :) . Try electricity in SA. Distribution company owned by a Chinese mob and they refuse to pay their 800M$ tax bill so the ATO accept 80M$ instead. Federal government intervention again. Good on ya SA Gov for taking back some electricity control, now do it for gas.

Shona
Shona

I mainly think its just because their big companies and people usually only bother doing a review if they have bad service, barely anyone will take the time to do a review if they have good service.

Biki
Biki

AGL charges an estimated bill to me and it is 600% more than expected as a new customer. On top of that when I complain they charge an extra of special meter reading of $36. What a terrible services. In a bill, it is clearly noted that your actual meter reading is way far below the estimated one. But they also charge for actual also. My question why I am paying for both?

Allan Ritchieasked

can reviews be edited?

srealica
srealica

If your review has been posted and approved I think this is a question for Product Review admin. If you have not submitted the final review there is an option to preview your review before posting. If the issue was sorted out by the supplier/manufacturer, just my opinion, you can post a follow up review. I suggest to contact the Product Review admin for proper advice.

Allan Ritchie

i dont understand I just wanted to change the star rating on one of the reviews and didnt seem to be a way to do such

inky
inky

yes but of course only by the the submitting member.....and the corrected text will be be approved before publication.

wendy blackford

wendy blackfordasked

Why has my AGL electrictity gone from around the $340 - $743? for the same period of billing time - we both work full time NOTHING HAS CHANGED AT HOME and NEVER received the bill only an overdue account - contacted the resolution team the said would have the meter read and contact me - never got a call - when I contacted the "resolution team"nothing had been done !!!!

Jayden Y.AGL Energy

Hey Wendy, apologies for the unexpected bill and difficulties with getting this resolved. If your meter is yet to be read and this is still yet to be resolved for you we'd like to help - get in touch with us via a private message on Facebook or Twitter and we can assist further from there. ~Jeremy

jennie

jennieasked

I want to change from peak pricing to off peak pricing for my hot water. spent 2 hours on phone today and got nowhere. we have 2 people living here and my bill doubled from $309 to $600. my bill is more than what a family of 5 people uses. please help jennie pickford....[email removed]

Jayden Y.AGL Energy

Hey Jennie, sorry to hear of the unexpected bill and the difficulty with adjusting your plan rates. If you're yet to have this resolved please get in touch with us in a private message on Facebook or Twitter and we'll be more than happy to help. ~Jeremy

Anne
Anne

After a criminally long wait for AGL I finally got this answer. Sorry it is not really what I call a solution.
1. Contact SA Power Networks to arrange for a 2nd meter.
2. Contact an electrician to submit an application form to AGL.
After an even more criminally long wait on the phone for SA Power Networks (do they want us to hang up/give up exhausted or what?) someone told me that just for our hot water (on a heat pump system) to be set on off-peak (she said this is called J Tariff), it will cost us about $309. Then there's the cost of the electrician…
Hope this answer does not prompt you to slit your wrists as it did me.

PS, if I have got this wrong, perhaps it will bring success, in the form of AGL or SAPN replying (at last!!!) to give the full, correct info! Win Win! Though sadly I think I have it right.

Sheepy72

Sheepy72asked

Hi AGL / Jeremy. Is there another way to contact you guys instead of facebook or Twitter? Some of us who have a life dont have those. I'm sure there is something out there called 'email'........

Jayden Y.AGL Energy

Hi Sheepy72, absolutely! Head here for all of our contact options: http://bit.ly/AGLContactUs - we'll be more than happy to help from any of the listed channels. ~Jeremy

Alex

Alexasked

Hi, my friend lives in a older townhouse of 4. My question is, on the back of the AGL electricity bills where it gives you a break down of the details, there are 2 different meter numbers. Under rate description, 1 is peak and the other meter number controlled load. Is it right to have 2 different meter numbers for 1 property?
Your help would much appreciated.

Desy
Desy

Hi Alex. Yes mate that's normal it just means one is off peak charge and peak charge.

Jayden Y.AGL Energy

Hi Alex - yes, this is a typical setup for a residential home. Your peak meter will take care of your general house-hold electricity usage, whilst your controlled load meter is reserved for specific appliances, such as electric hot water or floor heating, and generally is charged at a lower rate than peak rates. ~Jeremy

Greg

Gregasked

Hi, i have a 5kw system with 20 x panels and my agl bill says it has only produced 873kwh for 92 days thats 9.4kwh per day. I'd say there is something wrong with my system, any ideas?
Greg.

BRRISAHA
BRRISAHA

check your voltage coming into your home and what the solar inverter max voltage rating is, you may find the voltage spiking which is causing the inverter to shut down...it happened to us and we had to replace our inverter 3 times due to voltage supply spikes...thanx Energex/Qld Govt...

Jayden Y.AGL Energy

Hey Greg. Your electricity meter may be a net meter - this means that when your solar system is producing enough energy to meet your requirements, there is no need to purchase energy from the grid. Any excess solar energy that you do not use within the home will be automatically exported to the grid and you’ll be paid a feed in tariff for this. Give our solar team a call (1300 377 118) and we'll be happy to discuss this further with you. ~Jeremy

Kie, Sydney
Kie, Sydney

Greg check to see that you're not being given estmated bills based in inflated winter usage during summer. I've only ever received estimated bills from AGL after I put in solar and only during summer despite their being Street access unrestricted to both meters. The sola readings also never seem to get adjusted from estimated bills. AGL are basically robbing customers blind with solar worst hit as some sort of childish passive aggressive punishment for not being totally reliant on the grid despite they pay us next to nothing for what we put back in and we all know they couldn't supply the country power without that extra bit from our redistributed solar.

Jasmine

Jasmineasked

Hey guys just wanting to know I'm on a bill smoothing plan and was wondering if you can't afford payments this fortnight due to some family issues can you get an extension till your next pay?

Jayden Y.AGL Energy

Hey Jasmine. Generally speaking, if you're unable to make a bill smoothing payment the payment plan will be cancelled. Give us a call on 131 245 and we can re-establish the plan with new dates. ~Jeremy

Emma

Emmaasked

Can someone tell me how to read the gas meter? I have a metric meter for gas and as what AGL website says, 'When taking a reading from the gas meter, read left to right. For gas meters, you only need to read the black or white digits. The red numbers are used for testing purposes only.' Following this instruction, my meter read is 783.4952 while 783 are black/white digits and 4952 are red numbers. My understanding is that only 783 will show on my gas bill but not the decimal numbers. However, I have received my gas bill and the read is 78,349. I called to ask three times, first representative did not seem to know how to read, second representative agreed with me and the third representative said AGL had to read the first 5 digits because the special meter that I have and I live in NSW, she also told me different states read differently. I got some confused and thought she just gave me some make up answer. Can someone please help here???

Jayden Y.AGL Energy

Hi Emma. If your meter contains 6 black and white digits and 2 red digits, the meter is read left to right and the 2 red digits are ignored. If your meter contains 4 black and white digits and 4 red digits, the meter is read left to right and the last 2 red digits are ignored, leaving you with 4 black and white digits and the first 2 red digits in your reading. Apologies for the confusion here, and I hope this information helps. ~Jeremy

Dell
Dell

Yeah, I would love to know the same thing . . Considering their website says something and no matter how many time you ask them they can't tell you. So over AGL. They have probably over chargered you like they do everyone else!

Peggy

Peggyasked

DESPERATE SEEKING NEW PROVIDER
Im in Melbourne. AGL is taking 4 months to rectify Im begging to be resolved billed incorrectly for commercial rates which i live in a residential building with units 1 or 2 bedroom only.45 meter sq. Only 3.4 kw i spend daily basics. Sms messsges/ disconnection notices have been sent. Which provider has english customer CARE and managers that speak english in my teritory Melbourne.please adivice

Lara

Hi there. I have been with Energy Australia for the past 10 years. Never had an issue with them. AGL if I was you I would go to ombudsman Victoria. People should stay away from them. It's only headache. They haven incompetent staff. Awful.

Lihny
Lihny

Yes Peggy take them to the Ombudsman Victoria then change the electricity supplier. They tend to be very efficient all of the sudden with Ombudsman:)

Jayden Y.AGL Energy

Hey Peggy, we do sincerely apologies that this is yet to be resolved. As mentioned in response to your review, if you shoot us a private message with your details we will follow up and work with you to get this sorted ASAP. ~Jeremy

Barb Aasked

A note on my account says that my gas account has been estimated because access to my meter is blocked. This is a subjective opinion. Why not ring the house bell and get access? or leave a card allowing for contact?

There is a note on the back that says my "distributor will require access to read my metre between 14 June and 20 June 2016 and then we will make any necessary adjustments to your account based on your actual usage". How can I be sure that the distributor will contact me about access - will they phone and give a couple of hours window in that period? This is my number [number removed]

The bill seems to be opaque and taking advantage of consumers through such a complicated correction method -

Lara

Stay away from them. Switch to a diff provider

Barb A

Are there gas providers other than AGL for Sydney?

Lara

Energy Australia. They do both gas and electricity. They also have pensioner discount. Try them. I never had issue with them

All hater

All haterasked

What's a good energy supplier in Adelaide? Not AGL!!!

Agree. They are appalling. Try power shop for electricity if available in Adelaide I am new to them but their service and integrity is like an absolute breath of fresh air after my experience with AGL.

Get an answer from our members and AGL Energy representatives