Alfa Romeo 156

• Boot Size
  • Features
  • Comfort

Richard StanleyWeston Creek 2611, ACT

Best car I've ever had!!!

Purchased in November 2016 for A$2,500.00.

Noise Level
Boot Size
Features
Comfort
Richard Stanley

I meant to say that from my perspective, the reputation of Alfa's - as unreliable etc. - is a huge plus! It certainly makes them much more accessible as a 'used' car.

Shannon B

Shannon BAdelaide

This car broke my heart and my bank balance.

Date PurchasedAug 2006
Stevo

StevoAU

Should have been a sportscar

BodyWagon
BadgeSport Twin Spark
Date PurchasedMar 2016

Ryan

RyanSouth East Queensland, QLD

I bought this with my heart, and I regret that.

The car looks fantastic inside and out, it drives great and the v6 engine sounds amazing.

But this car has cost me so much money, I bought it for 3k, spent 2.5k on repairs and 2 years later its worthless as theres another 2k worth of repairs ahead of me to make it road worthy.

Australians don't buy European cars, (especially alfas) parts are very expensive and they are not designed for Australia's conditions.

Date PurchasedMay 2015

RonnyCravenSydney Surrounds, NSW

Don't Believe The Alfa Gloom Merchants.

BadgeMonza Twin Spark

BearMelbourne

Alfa 156 2.0 jts

BadgeJTS Selespeed
Date PurchasedMay 2015

Alpha 156 v6 2.5 24v is fantastic!

Engine Size2.5 V6 24 valve

4th Alfa and Equal best so far!!!

I have just purchased my 4th Alfa. A 2004 156 2.5 V6 6spd. Wow. Comfort 10/10. Drivability 10/10. Sound 10/10. Feelgood factor. Above and beyond anything I expected. This says a lot because my other is a 1974 Spider Veloce. A real feel good car. It is hard to believe that a car this good could be so affordable, reasonably cheap to run for the size a power of the heart, and such exceptionally good looks. Of course, you have to be certain that the servicing is done by people who know, and preferably share the same feeling, for this very special marque. Sometimes this can be pricey as well. But really, why would you want anything else.

Find out how Alfa Romeo 156 compares to other Sedans

156 selespeed with no problems!

I thought I'd be the first to actually give the selespeed a good review. I've had mine for 2 years, bought it very cheap with no service history. The only thing I had to replace was the back box. Drives great and looks great. Sometimes the front windows don't work and that is my only criticism.

Transmission0
BadgeSelespeed

Claire bear

DO NOT BUY A SELESPEED YOU WILL REGRET IT!!

BadgeJTS Selespeed
Claire bear

UPDATE: gearbox completely sh*t itself, i now have a very expensive mistake in my yard being used as a storage shed

AnthonySydney, NSW

Solid car with loads of charisma

I bought my Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 Twin Spark manual 8 years ago as a second hand buy that had 95,000km.
The car is a beauty , black momo leather seats and optioned white dials.
The car has been very reliable over the 8 years. Beautiful tractable engine. The car has a very solid and quality feel.
Change the Oil every 5,000km (like you should on all cars) and it will treat you to a long life of enjoyment.
Timeless Looks, Reliability, Engine, Leather interior

BadgeTwin Spark

kalloggs40AU

Expensive car to own

Dont buy am Alfa unless you have $3000 sitting as emergency money. Well i got the selespeed model which never ran correct, failed to reverse, headgasket blew at 120k , clutch at 130k, Airbag errors you name it. And the cost to service?? well timing belt will set you back $900 every 3 years, brakes $800, forget it just forget it.
"It is a pleasure to drive but a nightmare to keep going"
Seats are nice, style, looks
everything mechanically and electrics

BadgeSelespeed

you broke the rule - NEVER buy a selespeed

got the 147 now in manual no issues so far

Nay300Ak

Alfa Romeo Monza V6

Purchased from near new (48000ks), this car has performed well with just typical maintenance requirements in the 4 years of my ownership. The only non maintenance parts I have replaced are the sway bar stabiliser links as these were worn upon purchase. I disliked the Alfa links and installed Miele heavy duty types which should last much much longer.
The only gripe I have is that it is a tad fuel thirsty being just a 2.5 V6, compared with others sized cars/engines. Also the Air Con is weak in the earlier models. However the V6 is smooth and sounds great. Comfy too.
V6! Comfortable and effortless to drive. Great sounding exhaust. Minimal road noise/well insulated cabin.
Weak Air Con. Bad stabiliser links. Devalued realtivly fast.

Kev156

Kev156Christchurch, New Zealand

More than you pay for

2.5 V6 6 speed manual, full leather, top options. Just a fun car, very quick, very stiff on the road, our other is a V6 3.5 2006 Maxima sponge, they can go alright, but too soft suspension worries the ride when driven hard! But this Alfa is the 100% opposite, it has so much more fun in it than one of these new Holdens or Fords or that Nissan (which has the z350 engine) and the noise... Oh well you will have to get one to appreciate it.
Probably still the best looking 4dr V6 manual around, 12yrs old and still a head turner
A bit thirsty at first, because trust me, every wants to race a well presented 156, they just look that way

UnwashedFlyerAU

The Italian job?

BodyWagon
Alfaromeocarman

AlfaromeocarmanAU

156 V6 monza reliable

Seldom does a car come along and make you so happy to be driving than this car. I've had the 156 for a couple of years and there is no way I'm selling it. I've drive the t-spark and the the selespeed and it's chalk and cheese. The engine gives a throaty burst when you look at the throttle!
Manual gearbox, V6 engine, fuel consumption, only Alfa drivers get how good it is
Turning circle is big, light globes burn out more often

JencorralSydnet

Alfa V6 is my pick

My partner and I have owned a few Alfas, and while I've experienced ups and downs the Alfa Romeo 156 V6 has giving me nothing but perfection. It does everything well. Comfortable and smooth to drive. It feels safe and precise. I've clocked up 178000kms in this car and owned it since 88000. Good reliablity and I would rate it higher than my sisters BMW 320i or 2005 mazda 6 which I use as a work car.
Italian design and great engine
Turning circle is larger than the norm

Highly unreliable

Sean361

Sean361Wellingotn

156 Monza marvel

Just clocked 200000ks in my Alfa 156 V6 Monza. Figure it deserves a 5* review as I search online for a timing kit, and more treats for it. I've had the car since new - really can't complain as it hasn't missed a beat. Still tight as the day I got it - the suspension bushings being the only factor I care comment due to replacement 3x in its life as my daily commuter.
The engine sound and smoothness
suspension arm bushes are a bit of a bother to replace

Good

Not sure if I would have paid the $50,000 plus asking price when it was new, but as an almost mint condition, very low mileage second hand manual, it's an absolute, rolled gold bargain.
Looks great, handles beautifully, good power when you need it, very comfortable leather seats. Great dash layout.
There is a little 'creakiness' from some of the interior fittings, but I can put up with that for all the good things about the 156.

mikey

mikeyasked

156 Sedan (1999-2006)

Where is the main fuse that runs/shuts down all the four door windows in the alpha 2002 V6 -I understand that there are window door fuses for front x2 and window door fuses for x2 rear both x 30A but they have been checked and replaced even though there is nothing wrong with them-So I assume there must be a main overall fuse? Has someone fallen on this problem and can give me answer ASAP? Multi graze -Many thank Michael

HI Mikey,

Sorry I can't answer that question as I only replaced individual fuses, however here is a link to the fuse box diagrams for the 156:

Topcat007

Topcat007asked

Hello I just got of the phone from a alfa Romeo specialist. I have a 2005/6 Alfa 156 GTA. In excellent condition, he told me to look after it because my model are getting hard to get and in the next five 5 years they are going to go up in price dramatically. He said someone just bought one like mine for $20.000 he asked me what I paid..I told him $5.000.is it true what he is saying...that there are going to go up 200%?

Hi Mate,

I'm not a car valuation specialist, my review was to bring attention to the problems I had with my Alfa Romeo. However, I did a quick check of Carsales and Alfa Romeo 156 GTAs are selling from between $13K and $44K depending on how many kilometres on are on them. So if you paid $5K and it is in good condition with low Ks you could in theory sell it for 200% or more of what you paid.

balsak

balsakasked

my 200 alfa romeo 2.5 v6 starts but dont have power. any ideas?

Dave H

My EMS crashed because my alternator had died so it could be either of these problems.

Take it to a mechanic