Alpine CDE-196DAB

Alpine CDE-196DAB

5.0 from 1 review

many features, excellent sound & connectivity

This is a review of the ALPINE CDE-196DAB. This a car audio head unit with a CD/DAB Receiver with advanced Bluetooth and has many many features. It comes with a digital microphone and a remote control. Some of the features are: CD Player, Built-in DAB, DAB+ and DMB Tuners, Variable Illumination, 3-way X-OVER (active crossover), BASS ENGINE SQ, Built-in Bluetooth, USB and AUX Input, Siri Voice Control. This unit is also Steering Wheel Remote Control Ready.

Disc formats: CD, CD-R, CD-RW (with last recording session closed, finalised).
Compatible sound files: MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC music file playback via USB devices.
3 preouts with subwoofer level control for sound system expansion
Steering Remote Control ready
Anti-Dust Design
Removable Front panel
4 x 50W

It has both iPhone and Android Bluetooth connectivity. Although I have a Samsung Android phone this receiver connects fine with my Android Bluetooth. iPhone or iPod users may find that there are more options and further functionality with this head unit.

The receiver has front USB port for mass storage or connecting iPhone using Alpine Tuneit Application. It uses high speed USB connection to let you enjoy the functions of your iPod or iPhone. I personally have been using a USB flash drive memory stick with my stored MP3 music files. They play fine and I like the display titles feature. There’s also a 3.5mm mini jack for MP3 players.

There are loads of sound set up options which include adjusting subwoofer level, Bass level, treble level, balance left & right, fader front & rear, defeat on/off. You can also adjust the sound Alpine Tuneit App on the smartphone.There are more adjustment options of the Parametric equalizer curve. Theres also settings for Source volume level and adjusting the crossover settings. This unit is also capable of connecting to an external amplifier, Power IC.

With the Siri Voice Control: Use the voice control key to activate Siri on your iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 6, 6S and 6 Plus, 6S Plus to control the music playback and place calls. This works also for Android phones with voice control function although iPhone users will get more benefit out of this unit.

The packet reads that it is: Made for iPod touch (1st, 2nd, 3rd 4th and 5th generation), iPod classic, iPod nano (3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th generation), iPhone 6Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS or iPhone 3G.

Alpine takes head unit/iPhone integration a step further with App Direct. Connect your iPhone via USB and App Direct will let you listen to sound from many apps through your system speakers. Select music or talk from Internet Radio, streaming services, whatever your favourite apps are. You get full control from the iPhone’s touch screen and the iPhone stays fully operational.

The large square Source button is great and easy to use by pressing to change the source: TUNER>DAB+/DMB>DISC>USB AUDIO/iPod>BT AUDIO>Auxiliary>Tuner

The large Rotary button Encoder is also good for finer selections. The unit also displays radio text messages.

This receiver is also Facebook integrated: Download the Alpine TuneIt App, then connect your iPhone via USB or Android based smartphone via Bluetooth. Now you’re ready to use your phone as a handy interface to achieve exactly the sound you want in your car. If you’re on Facebook, the app will also notify you of new messages on both your phone and the head unit.

Included in the box was also a CD containing pdf of Operating Instructions as well as a printed copy. I have installed the pdf in my smartphone so I can refer to it when I'm in my car.

I purchased this head unit because I wanted Android friendly connectivity from a leading car audio brand. I purchased this unit online from a Specialist Alpine Dealer in NSW. The unit is made in Thailand. Designed by Alpine Japan. I had the unit installed into my Volkswagen Golf Mk4 by a qualified auto electrician at an extra cost.

I am very happy with this Alpine audio head unit model. It's performance, features, options with adjustments and connectivity exceeded my expectations.

I am in no way affiliated with ALPINE. I am person who has purchased this item. If you're looking for technical specifications or other information I personally I wouldn't know so it's best you contact ALPINE Australia.