Alvey 475B

Alvey 475B

See the Best Fishing in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Love these reels

I'm someone who looks after my stuff so I love the ease of maintenance of these reels. My eggbeaters require heaps of TLC when splashed or they get sand on them, but not these beauties. I have the TCS reel and a metal backed model with clicker which are similar reels but not identical. The ability to feed line out is great for bream and float fishing. And despite my initial reservations about the plastic construction, I love the easycast system, it's so convenient, no pressing the button, just turn it. The metal backed reel has more line catching bits but just don't fill the spool up so much. They also have a tension spring so the knob doesn't fall off. I have enjoyed my fishing again with these reels, and just rinse/dry and 5 min lube job afterwards.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

ALVEY 475B LINE JAMMING CURE

After reading your comments on the Alvey 475B. I went to BCF, checked it out and bought one. I can see why the line gets caught between the back of the spool and the backing plate. Looking at the back of the spools outside rim which is partly inside the backing plate, it is protruding out about 2.5 mm out from the backing plate and that edge is tapered at about 10 degrees down into the backing plate As you wind the line back onto the reel, if it picks up on the same rim of the spool the taper on the spool guides it straight behind the spool and jams the line.
Here is the fix.
Remove the spool and on the inside edge of that same rim create a 3 mm radius all the way around the rim.
( next to the line on the reel)The rounded edge on the spool which is now exposed from the backing plate prevents the line from riding up and getting caught between the spool and backing plate. I used a file and different grades of Wet and Dry to get a good finish. A simple fix and it works great.

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Annoying Reel!

This reel has an annoying habit of the line getting caught between the spool and the backing plate. This necessitates frequently having to remove the spool to untangle. Eventually, after being removed so many times, the spindle nut becomes loose and then falls off, usually when the fishing is hot! Braid or mono, same result. Having fished for blackfish for over 30 years, I am no beginner, and have used many reels. (the old Steelite reels were brilliant). Has anyone else had this problem?
Retrieve rate, ease of casting, smooth.
Line gets caught inside reel, centre-pin cap falls off.