Up to 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards points on offer
$400 Travel Credit each year
Two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge at Sydney or Melbourne International Airports
Earn up to 2 Membership Rewards points per $1
Complimentary Travel Insurance
$395 Annual Fee
1% Balance Transfer Fee
|Category||Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards, Balance Transfer Credit Cards and Rewards Credit Cards|
|Card Type||American Express|
|Benefits||Complimentary Travel Insurance, Sign-Up Bonus Points Offer and Travel Credit|
|Minimum Credit Limit||$3,000|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0 p.a.|
|Rewards Program||American Express Membership Rewards|
|Points Earn Rate||2 points per $1|
There is no cap on earn rate.
|Contactless Payments||Apple Pay, Fitbit Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay|
|Rates & Fees|
|Purchase Rate||20.74% p.a.|
|Cash Advance Fee||2%|
|Late Payment Fee||$30|
|Annual Fee||$395 p.a.|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||3%|
|Interest Free Period||55 days|
Receive 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you spend $3,000 within the first 3 months.
Great card for the rewards and travel credit & Mobile& travel Insurance
I have the Amex Exporer card sinc ethe last 2 years.
The $395 annual fee is compensated by the $400 travel credit.
There are times, when the Tickets on the American express Travel site is a couple of $100 more than other websites.
The Rewards point value has been reduced from $7.41 /1000 points to $5.00 /1000 points.
The promotional offers e.g. vogue fashion nights & Small shop in November are good value for your money.
Awesome credit card for points and travelling
This is one of the first credit cards I got and I loved it. It gives you the travel credit of same amount as annual fee plus it give you complementary insurance, lounge passes and many more benefits. The best part is that you can accumulate points at faster rate with this card and although amex is not accepted everywhere but to have that option in your hand is worth it.
Great card, still going strong
Have had this card for 3 years and great card especially for travelling. Lounge access has been a blessing especially with a toddler.
Insurance on card is good as well, got a new phone stolen on the way back from one of our overseas trips and insurance gave us a full refund no questions asked.
Disappointed as the points have diminished in value over the years. But the perks of Amex offers makes up for some of the downfalls, though many of the good offers are full before you can register for it.
A card which gives good points
Enjoyed first year annual fee free and $400 traveling credit which I used on air ticket, pretty good service, they sent me reminder by text which help me avoid late payment penalty, no one else does that, the only thing I think can improve is add search bar on the website, so users can search by name, amount etc
Amazing Card! Great Product! Rewards are fantastic!
Had this card for almost three years, the amount of rewards given by this card has been overwhelmingly fantastic! American Express makes it very easy for us to claim our rewards and redeem them on flights. Plus the annual fee you pay for transfer directly to travel credit. Booking your flights with the travel credit on the AMEX service is easy and competitive! Just stay away from hotels!
We've used this card numerous time overseas and the rates are pretty competitive to other banks. There are no slap on fees or penalties for using this card abroad, hence the 'explorer' naming of it.
Excellent Credit Card with Great Rewards!
It was quite convenient for me to use my Amex card when I travelled to Phuket last month. It is more and more easier for me to accumulate points for example supermarkets like coles, woolworths, shops like bunings and ikea, etc can accept Amex. Also it will send me some cash back promotion to save in the card and automatically redeem when you hit the requirement. There're lots of ways to redeem my point, credit for repayment, travel credit, transfer to frequent flyer points, etc. The most good part is $400 trevel credit can be used per year. Really recommeneded.
Best credit card
good value with $400 travel credit. best credit card on market!
Also come with international airport lounge and lots of amex deals
this is the only credit card I keep for long term.
Great rewards earning rate, good all round card
It's a good all round card, with a decent earning rate of 2x points/$1 on almost everything (0.5/$1 on Government).
Points can now be redeemed at the same rate as more premium Amex cards (like Platinum Charge) since the realignment of the programme a few months ago. I personally use them for airmiles, 0.5 miles per 1 point (1 mile/$1, which is pretty good).
Usual rip off 3% foreign exchange charge, with no additional reward for overseas use, so I don't use it outside Aus.
$395 annual fee is offset by the $400 travel credit, but that's only a be...
The only credit card I need
I have been using the Amex Explorer Card since it's launch in 2016 and have been extremely happy with it. Being an Amex customer for 9 years, I have used a few other cards in the past but Explorer Card is the best so far in terms of offers and features.
- The easy and fast earning Reward Points are the best feature as I have managed to used a lot of my points for travel bookings with Amex Travel and ended up paying very less for tickets and accommodation. It's true savings rather than losing your points in transfer to airlines and follow T&Cs. ...
Pros and Cons of the American Express Explorer Card
I've had the American Express Explorer card for about 3 years. Here are the pros and cons:
1. The card comes with plenty of added benefits including including travel protection, mobile phone screen up to $500, extended product warranty etc.
2. The annual fee is $395 however; you get $400 credit to use through American Express Travel. So as long as you're travelling at least one a year, the annual fee pays for itself.
3. Customer service is pretty good and it's convenient using the web chat service and not having to call.
4. You can use reward points for credit off your account balance. ...5. Travel insurance seems pretty reliable. I recently made a claim for USD $4,000 after returning from the US and the claim process was seamless. It was all done online and the claim was paid out in 2 weeks. Very positive experience. Cons 1. The $400 travel credit can only be used on American Express Travel which is a poorly designed travel site with lots of bugs. It does not make for a good experience. As a global conglomerate, I can;t understand why American Express have failed to invest more in their travel site. Also, the site doesn't offer up all flights. I've noticed they never have the budget fares for Virgin or Qantas and only seem to have the flexi and premium fares. So whilst you get $400 travel credit, you may not be able to use it economically. 2. They've recently lowered the conversion rate for American Express reward points to Velocity reward points. 3. American Express cards are still widely shunned by merchants in Australia. I'd say 80% of merchants won;t accept American Express and the ones who do will normally charge 2% to 3% for the privilege. 4. Interest rate is high but not an issue if you pay your balance by the due date each month.
Excellent rewards program
Pros: 60,000 AMEX bonus point promo at the time of application. Member points can be used for things like travel, shopping or transferred to partner programs like Velocity (which I do frequently). 2 x Free annual access to the AMEX lounge at Sydney Airport. $400 travel voucher via AMEX travel website each year. Special offers on retail (such as spend $25 and get $15 back). Promotes programs that encourages spending at small businesses. Widely accepted home and abroad (but not as much as Visa and Mastercard). Great online account platform
Cons:...Expensive $395 annual fee (offset by the travel voucher) I use this card a lot and it has enabled me to save a tonne of points that I have used for travel. Summary: get it if you plan to use it a lot i.e. pay bills on the card and repay in full each month. Then watch your points grow quickly
AMEX Explorer 60k point bonus using referral link
Excellent value Card. $395 annual fee offset by $400 in travel credit for use on any flight or hotel booking. Complimentary travel insurances included when you use the card to book your travel. Easy app to keep track of spend. The Card has a Great look with a solid dark colour which makes it seem like a premium Card. Handy backup Card to accumulate frequent flyer points are a better earn rate. Use [referral link removed] to sign up and get a 60,000 point bonus (I also receive 30,000 points).
Questions & Answers
Sorry, there are no questions yet.
Get an answer from our members
Other Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards
ProductReview.com.au has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence our content moderation policies in any way, though ProductReview.com.au may earn commissions for products/services purchased via affiliate links.