American Express Platinum Edge

American Express Platinum Edge (page 2 of 3)

See the Best Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for American Express? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

Pros

• $200 Travel Credit each year

• Earn up to 3 Membership Rewards Points per $1

• 0% p.a. on Balance Transfers for the first 12 months

• Complimentary Travel Insurance

Cons

• $195 Annual Fee

• 1% Balance Transfer Fee

• Rates and Fees

AnnoyedSydney, NSW

Disappointing

ravinder
ravinderCanberra Central 2601, ACT

Great Value for money if you know how to use it. Great Customer service from Amex.

Jodie
JodieGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Business card that you can't actually use for Business

Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards

Find out how American Express Platinum Edge compares to other Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards

FrequentFlyer12
FrequentFlyer12Sydney Surrounds, NSW

Minimal Cover Travel Insurance - ask questions and read the fine print before travelling

Untrue Value Solar
Untrue Value SolarAU

Rubbish for 'free' travel insurance

Had this card for a few years, used it to book a holiday to the USA, spent over $10k on pre booked flights and accommodation and paid some surcharges as a result, but figured worth it due to the saving of insurance policy. Just before going, 're read policy and in fine print it states that you can't have redeemed any frequent flyer points outside of their points system towards your trip. Unfortunately we had used some Qantas points for about a 5% reduction in airfare so policy cover is now void. Had to buy separate policy for over $300. Since found out NAB platinum card only require that you spend $500 towards your trip to activate full travel policy. ACE insurance coverage is rubbish and full of fine print. Cancelling card as a result.

Scott
ScottCanberra

Waste of time

American express sent me a remote control car without a remote to use the car, they told me i would get a remote if i had a chat with them for 15 mins. I did this and still no remote. I dont actually want the car i just think it is a total waste that i now have to throw it out. What a terrible environmental statement this company must have.

How to get in front of credit card debt with a credit card balance transfer.

Credit card balance transfers are becoming an increasingly popular way for people with growing credit card debts to manage their finances. But are they really a magic bullet? We're going to look at the ins and outs of credit balance transfers, so you can find the best way to manage credit card debt and get your finances back in the black.

Nathan S.12 Nov 2019
how-to-get-in-front-of-credit-card-debt-with-a-credit-card-balance-transfer
Super Funds Awards 2020!

Wendy Z.7 Nov 2019
super-funds-awards-2020
Credit Card Awards 2020

Wendy Z.19 Nov 2019
credit-card-awards-2020

Complimentary flight worth signing up for alone!

Signed up and got my AMEX Platinum Edge last week, charging a couple of items worth about $30.
My Partner had to urgently go interstate for travel, so called AMEX and in 6 minutes and 7 seconds (yes I checked) I had the flight booked in her name and was off the phone.
A $700 flight for ZERO.
As long as they keep this benefit they will have a customer in me.

Crap

I misplaced my credit card and so I called to report. Little did I know that it takes a few days to receive a replacement, I thought I would get a temporary number that I can use for an online purchase (overseas presale concert that only accepts Am Ex and without the tickets, I was reluctant to book my flights etc). The operator was unhelpful and told me I had to wait and because it was a Thursday, the replacement would not arrive until the following week.

The one time that I needed to use Am Ex since it isn't accepted in a lot of places, I couldn't use it so I cancelled the card.

SBS
SBSPerth

Not worth the time of day

AMEX would have to be the WORST credit card out of the lot. They have no sense of customer service, they are arrogant, rude, unhelpful. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone not even my arch enemy. Stay away from this company!!! Stick with Australian brands linke Bankwest, Westpac, NAB etc.

Great card, complimentary return flight is well worth it!

I have been using an American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card for the last 6 months and have to say that the complimentary domestic flight from Virgin is definitely worth signing up for this card. Rang the number provided to book a return flight from Perth to Brisbane about two weeks before the Easter weekend. Same flight was at the $600+ margin when I searched on flight comparison sites. AMEX Travel team booked the itinerary straight away, no hassle, and I had an epic time over at Gold Coast. Thumbs up AMEX, you have one happy customer here! :)

EcpaulSouth East Queensland, QLD

Travel insurance experience

Ecpaul

I should have added that I have been an Amex cardholder for 34 years, have made many overseas trips (paid for using Amex) and never made a claim up until this one.

Adam
AdamWarnbro

Very Happy with this great card.

Had the card for over a year now and am delighted with the features and the customer service provided. The website is good, full of useful information and frequent flyer points are the real bonus. The annual fee is more than paid for by the free flight offer(with limitations). Check out the card BEFORE you get one, that way you want be disappointed if it doesnt give you what you are looking for. E.g Amex isn`t accepted everywhere and sometimes there is a surcharge when using it !!! We have a visa card that we always carry for this.......

Paul H
Paul H

Avoid - Dodgy travel insurance

Jules
JulesSydney

Rude and terrible service even I have been amex customers for eight years

I would like to upgrade my card from gold card that I already had for 8 years to platinum edge and I fulfilled all criteria except that I have a $101 previous default from other company that occurred because I didn't receive the bill when I have moved house that have been paid in full but the taint on my credit record have to stay with me till another year and I have sent the evidence to Amex but they would not want to listen and they are very rude on the phone. Obviously they do not know how to retain customers or they feel that they are a very big company with so many customers they are no longer care about customer retention and good customer service.

Rustyd
Rustyd

Bad service for retirees

It seems that no matter how wealthy one is the AMEX system is geared to help those with high incomes not high wealth. With a higher % of retirees, many wealthy, in the population I hope they change or they will fade away.

Grant S
Grant S

Free Flight - Limitations

I have used this card for several years and find it very suitable. The only negative is with the 'free flight'. This is limited to major city departure points. I have two regional airports, Newcastle and Port Macquarie both serviced by Virgin however I cannot fly out of them. I can book a flight from Brisbane to Newcastle return, but I cannot book a flight from Newcastle to Brisbane return - seems Irish to me. So rather than give the flights away each year, I am giving the card away. i have raised the issue with them, however there appears to be no flexibility with it.

Ronalds

Been a member for more than 5 years

Peter
PeterSydney

Great rewards

If you are a big spender and pay your balance in full each month and like the rewards, this is the card for you. Especially if you are a member of a professional body then the fees are low, yes some stores do not accept it but not that many. Tap and go works well, free flight each year, last year we went to Queenstown.
Points, flights, travel booking service

DisgruntledMelbourne

No one accepts it.

I took out this card as I bank with a bank that doesn't have a rewards credit card. I purchase everything I can on this and use the points towards tickets etc.

The no touch only works with certain readers and you find yourself having to touch, then insert then swipe and finally sign... which is ridiculous in this day and age. It makes you feel you have no money left on your card.
Amex needs to review their fee structure There are too many places that don't accept this card.
I am constantly filling out the form for places that don't accept the card. I refuse to pay the surcharge that even the most popular places add.
Points.
Touch and go is flakey. No one seems to want to accept it.

Disgruntled

I have since Got Rid of this card as I was never using the travel rewards.. The times I did use the travel rewards the prices on the rewards sites were more expensive than booking directly, so It was a total waste..

Mel T