American Express Platinum Edge

American Express Platinum Edge (page 2 of 2)

See the Best Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards in 2022 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for American Express? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

Pros

$200 Travel Credit each year
Earn up to 3 Membership Rewards Points per $1
0% p.a. on Balance Transfers for the first 12 months
Complimentary Travel Insurance

Cons

$195 Annual Fee
1% Balance Transfer Fee

Paul H

Avoid - Dodgy travel insurance

Jules
JulesSydney

Rude and terrible service even I have been amex customers for eight years

I would like to upgrade my card from gold card that I already had for 8 years to platinum edge and I fulfilled all criteria except that I have a $101 previous default from other company that occurred because I didn't receive the bill when I have moved house that have been paid in full but the taint on my credit record have to stay with me till another year and I have sent the evidence to Amex but they would not want to listen and they are very rude on the phone. Obviously they do not know how to retain customers or they feel that they are a very big company with so many customers they are no longer care about customer retention and good customer service.

Grant S
Grant S

Free Flight - Limitations

I have used this card for several years and find it very suitable. The only negative is with the 'free flight'. This is limited to major city departure points. I have two regional airports, Newcastle and Port Macquarie both serviced by Virgin however I cannot fly out of them. I can book a flight from Brisbane to Newcastle return, but I cannot book a flight from Newcastle to Brisbane return - seems Irish to me. So rather than give the flights away each year, I am giving the card away. i have raised the issue with them, however there appears to be no flexibility with it.

MelbourneDesigner
MelbourneDesignerMelbourne

Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards

Find out how American Express Platinum Edge compares to other Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards

MrSasha
MrSashaAU

Terrible Service

Terrible

Yeap, i have been loyal Amex customer for 20 year, have a good rating and paid on times,and they still treat you like same as others. I just been reviewed because i spent more during my recent overseas trip and they suspended my card untill they received all my current financial details and review them. Even if i clear all the outstanding balance right away, they still suspend my card (After 20 year loyalty to Amex .... LOUSY).Then if they are not happy with your current financial details, they will cancel your card and WILL not refund part of unused monthly of your yearly fee ($900 per year)!@#$%^&*

NO POINT BEING A LOYALTY TO AMEX

Me_Myself_and_I
Me_Myself_and_IAU

OK

Overall I think American Express offer a great service and have a very good acceptance rate when compared to some other cards.
Being a platinum card credit card it came with a number of additional features like a American Express personal asistant to help purchase unsual things or to help when you find yourself stuck. The rewards program offers is terrific in a dollar per point and points per reward. They also send a travellers magazine which is informative and tempting.
Interest Rate if you don't pay the full balance.
The merchant fees for American Express are higher then some other cards.

How to get in front of credit card debt with a credit card balance transfer.

Credit card balance transfers are becoming an increasingly popular way for people with growing credit card debts to manage their finances. But are they really a magic bullet? We're going to look at the ins and outs of credit balance transfers, so you can find the best way to manage credit card debt and get your finances back in the black.

Nathan S.12 Nov 2019

credit-card-awards-2020
sofia
sofia

Terrible

Overall view is that the team at platinum is disorganised and does not make any effort to follow through their customer inquiries. Their fees do not justify the features that customers get
use some great marketing to promote false promises(hahaha)
Bad experience with the platinum team…they do not offer 24 hour service as they advertise because when I phoned after business hours, they told me to call back during business hours.
They also had trouble coordinating the booking event tickets and travel. No one ever called me to let me know they didn’t book my tickets. The welcome pack didn’t turn up either and I had to request it and the same with the magazine(it never turned up)

simonebb
simonebbGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

OK

Think this is a great card if you use it wisley. Offers good perks but only good if you utilise them. American Express great for customer service.
Get free domestic trip per year, travel insurance and other perks. Competative interest rate, great customer service, great points system
A lot of retailers do not take amex and annual fee high

Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards

starflyy
starflyy

OK

It is great I wish that they offered a cheaper annual fee because that really lets this card down. The rewards program is very good they give you about an extra half point per dollar than other cards.
It comes with a free flight Australia wide and it is very upperclass, the limit is very high which means that you will be able to spend up big.
The annual fee is about tripple of it's competitors prices which makes is hard to justify spending $300 + a year for the right to spend money that you are going to pay fees on.