American Express Platinum Edge

American Express Platinum Edge (page 2 of 2)

See the Best Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards in 2022 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for American Express? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

Pros

$200 Travel Credit each year
$0 Annual Card Fee in the first year
Earn up to 3 Membership Rewards Points per $1
0% p.a. on Balance Transfers for the first 12 months
Complimentary Travel Insurance

Cons

$195 Annual Fee
1% Balance Transfer Fee

• Rates and Fees
  • Rewards
  • Online Experience
  • Application Process
Scott
ScottCanberra

Waste of time

American express sent me a remote control car without a remote to use the car, they told me i would get a remote if i had a chat with them for 15 mins. I did this and still no remote. I dont actually want the car i just think it is a total waste that i now have to throw it out. What a terrible environmental statement this company must have.

Crap

I misplaced my credit card and so I called to report. Little did I know that it takes a few days to receive a replacement, I thought I would get a temporary number that I can use for an online purchase (overseas presale concert that only accepts Am Ex and without the tickets, I was reluctant to book my flights etc). The operator was unhelpful and told me I had to wait and because it was a Thursday, the replacement would not arrive until the following week.

The one time that I needed to use Am Ex since it isn't accepted in a lot of places, I couldn't use it so I cancelled the card.

SBS
SBSPerth

Not worth the time of day

AMEX would have to be the WORST credit card out of the lot. They have no sense of customer service, they are arrogant, rude, unhelpful. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone not even my arch enemy. Stay away from this company!!! Stick with Australian brands linke Bankwest, Westpac, NAB etc.

EcpaulSouth East Queensland, QLD

Travel insurance experience

Ecpaul

I should have added that I have been an Amex cardholder for 34 years, have made many overseas trips (paid for using Amex) and never made a claim up until this one.

Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards

Find out how American Express Platinum Edge compares to other Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards

Paul H
Paul H

Avoid - Dodgy travel insurance

Jules
JulesSydney

Rude and terrible service even I have been amex customers for eight years

I would like to upgrade my card from gold card that I already had for 8 years to platinum edge and I fulfilled all criteria except that I have a $101 previous default from other company that occurred because I didn't receive the bill when I have moved house that have been paid in full but the taint on my credit record have to stay with me till another year and I have sent the evidence to Amex but they would not want to listen and they are very rude on the phone. Obviously they do not know how to retain customers or they feel that they are a very big company with so many customers they are no longer care about customer retention and good customer service.

Rustyd
Rustyd

Bad service for retirees

It seems that no matter how wealthy one is the AMEX system is geared to help those with high incomes not high wealth. With a higher % of retirees, many wealthy, in the population I hope they change or they will fade away.

How to get in front of credit card debt with a credit card balance transfer.

Credit card balance transfers are becoming an increasingly popular way for people with growing credit card debts to manage their finances. But are they really a magic bullet? We're going to look at the ins and outs of credit balance transfers, so you can find the best way to manage credit card debt and get your finances back in the black.

Nathan S.12 Nov 2019

Average Reward Program with Exorbitant Fees

Peter
PeterSydney

Great rewards

If you are a big spender and pay your balance in full each month and like the rewards, this is the card for you. Especially if you are a member of a professional body then the fees are low, yes some stores do not accept it but not that many. Tap and go works well, free flight each year, last year we went to Queenstown.
Points, flights, travel booking service

DisgruntledMelbourne

No one accepts it.

I took out this card as I bank with a bank that doesn't have a rewards credit card. I purchase everything I can on this and use the points towards tickets etc.

The no touch only works with certain readers and you find yourself having to touch, then insert then swipe and finally sign... which is ridiculous in this day and age. It makes you feel you have no money left on your card.
Amex needs to review their fee structure There are too many places that don't accept this card.
I am constantly filling out the form for places that don't accept the card. I refuse to pay the surcharge that even the most popular places add.
Points.
Touch and go is flakey. No one seems to want to accept it.

Disgruntled

I have since Got Rid of this card as I was never using the travel rewards.. The times I did use the travel rewards the prices on the rewards sites were more expensive than booking directly, so It was a total waste..

Mel T

Terrible Service

psychadelic
psychadelicAU

Terrible

Yeap, i have been loyal Amex customer for 20 year, have a good rating and paid on times,and they still treat you like same as others. I just been reviewed because i spent more during my recent overseas trip and they suspended my card untill they received all my current financial details and review them. Even if i clear all the outstanding balance right away, they still suspend my card (After 20 year loyalty to Amex .... LOUSY).Then if they are not happy with your current financial details, they will cancel your card and WILL not refund part of unused monthly of your yearly fee ($900 per year)!@#$%^&*

NO POINT BEING A LOYALTY TO AMEX

emaildebs
emaildebsAustralia

Good

This card even by design speaks volumes about the card holders financial standing but I believe only to other cardholders that might see it as they understand the 'AMEX Hirachy'. Most retailers that do accept this card often comment on how 'pretty' the cards reflection is probably do not rate it as high as a gold card for example. Good that can talk to a customer service consultant and any issues or queries are dealt with very quickly. Very professional and quick service.
Preferential treatment and free travel insurance
Not recognised as a commonly used card as I believe a lot of retailers do not want to pay the higher transaction fee.

Bigmonster
BigmonsterSouth East Queensland, QLD

Good

Overall the platium card has pretty good deal but only when you willing to pay for higher annual card fee. But I will still recommend people to use it as their customer service are professional and absolutely helpful.
Lower annual fee if you're a professional and it also comes with bonus point (40,000 point) and domestic/international compulmentary flight included.
AMEX provides great customer service and being very helpful with any issues you have. Their resolution team responds faily quickly and always try their best to satisfy your request.
Slow process time for bonus reward point and sometimes you'll need to follow up personally to get the correct reward point balance.

cracker
cracker

consumer_review
consumer_reviewSydney, NSW

sofia
sofia

Terrible

Overall view is that the team at platinum is disorganised and does not make any effort to follow through their customer inquiries. Their fees do not justify the features that customers get
use some great marketing to promote false promises(hahaha)
Bad experience with the platinum team…they do not offer 24 hour service as they advertise because when I phoned after business hours, they told me to call back during business hours.
They also had trouble coordinating the booking event tickets and travel. No one ever called me to let me know they didn’t book my tickets. The welcome pack didn’t turn up either and I had to request it and the same with the magazine(it never turned up)

ilazarus
ilazarusGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Good

A prestige card with quality offerings, if you use it properly, can be quite good value. The free round trip Qantas flight is especiailly attractive, and the added benefit of being able to talk to Australian based American Express consultants is a major plus! (Regular cards get their calls shipped over to India!)
It comes with a free rountrup airfare within Australia each year, including all taxes and surcharges, a free subscription to a Travel magazine, free travel insurance, and a healthy rewards programme
The annual cost of $395 is marginally hefty!

njabel
njabel

Good

good card to have,especially for travelling,but not well accepted in australia.
we get an extra card with no chage, and a free return flight every year which will be great,there are no hidden charges if paid by the due date each month.easy to monitor charges on line, as charges appear straight away, and online statements available
great card,gives 1.5 points for every dollar spent, and lots of interest free days.well accepted overseas.customer support is excellent with all american express cards,and it is easy to redeem or transfer points on line.
not accepted everywhere.