American Express Platinum Edge

American Express Platinum Edge (page 2 of 2)

See the Best Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards in 2022 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for American Express? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

Pros

$200 Travel Credit each year
Earn up to 3 Membership Rewards Points per $1
0% p.a. on Balance Transfers for the first 12 months
Complimentary Travel Insurance

Cons

$195 Annual Fee
1% Balance Transfer Fee

• Rates and Fees
  • Rewards
  • Online Experience
  • Application Process

Complimentary flight worth signing up for alone!

Signed up and got my AMEX Platinum Edge last week, charging a couple of items worth about $30.
My Partner had to urgently go interstate for travel, so called AMEX and in 6 minutes and 7 seconds (yes I checked) I had the flight booked in her name and was off the phone.
A $700 flight for ZERO.
As long as they keep this benefit they will have a customer in me.

Crap

I misplaced my credit card and so I called to report. Little did I know that it takes a few days to receive a replacement, I thought I would get a temporary number that I can use for an online purchase (overseas presale concert that only accepts Am Ex and without the tickets, I was reluctant to book my flights etc). The operator was unhelpful and told me I had to wait and because it was a Thursday, the replacement would not arrive until the following week.

The one time that I needed to use Am Ex since it isn't accepted in a lot of places, I couldn't use it so I cancelled the card.

SBS
SBSPerth

Not worth the time of day

AMEX would have to be the WORST credit card out of the lot. They have no sense of customer service, they are arrogant, rude, unhelpful. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone not even my arch enemy. Stay away from this company!!! Stick with Australian brands linke Bankwest, Westpac, NAB etc.

Great card, complimentary return flight is well worth it!

I have been using an American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card for the last 6 months and have to say that the complimentary domestic flight from Virgin is definitely worth signing up for this card. Rang the number provided to book a return flight from Perth to Brisbane about two weeks before the Easter weekend. Same flight was at the $600+ margin when I searched on flight comparison sites. AMEX Travel team booked the itinerary straight away, no hassle, and I had an epic time over at Gold Coast. Thumbs up AMEX, you have one happy customer here! :)

Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards

Find out how American Express Platinum Edge compares to other Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards

EcpaulSouth East Queensland, QLD

Travel insurance experience

Ecpaul

I should have added that I have been an Amex cardholder for 34 years, have made many overseas trips (paid for using Amex) and never made a claim up until this one.

Adam
AdamWarnbro

Very Happy with this great card.

Had the card for over a year now and am delighted with the features and the customer service provided. The website is good, full of useful information and frequent flyer points are the real bonus. The annual fee is more than paid for by the free flight offer(with limitations). Check out the card BEFORE you get one, that way you want be disappointed if it doesnt give you what you are looking for. E.g Amex isn`t accepted everywhere and sometimes there is a surcharge when using it !!! We have a visa card that we always carry for this.......

Paul H
Paul H

Avoid - Dodgy travel insurance

How to get in front of credit card debt with a credit card balance transfer.

Credit card balance transfers are becoming an increasingly popular way for people with growing credit card debts to manage their finances. But are they really a magic bullet? We're going to look at the ins and outs of credit balance transfers, so you can find the best way to manage credit card debt and get your finances back in the black.

Nathan S.12 Nov 2019

Wendy Z.19 Nov 2019
credit-card-awards-2020
Jules
JulesSydney

Rude and terrible service even I have been amex customers for eight years

I would like to upgrade my card from gold card that I already had for 8 years to platinum edge and I fulfilled all criteria except that I have a $101 previous default from other company that occurred because I didn't receive the bill when I have moved house that have been paid in full but the taint on my credit record have to stay with me till another year and I have sent the evidence to Amex but they would not want to listen and they are very rude on the phone. Obviously they do not know how to retain customers or they feel that they are a very big company with so many customers they are no longer care about customer retention and good customer service.

oo7slittle
oo7slittle

Been a member for more than 5 years

MrSasha
MrSashaAU

Terrible Service

Terrible

Yeap, i have been loyal Amex customer for 20 year, have a good rating and paid on times,and they still treat you like same as others. I just been reviewed because i spent more during my recent overseas trip and they suspended my card untill they received all my current financial details and review them. Even if i clear all the outstanding balance right away, they still suspend my card (After 20 year loyalty to Amex .... LOUSY).Then if they are not happy with your current financial details, they will cancel your card and WILL not refund part of unused monthly of your yearly fee ($900 per year)!@#$%^&*

NO POINT BEING A LOYALTY TO AMEX

sofia
sofia

Terrible

Overall view is that the team at platinum is disorganised and does not make any effort to follow through their customer inquiries. Their fees do not justify the features that customers get
use some great marketing to promote false promises(hahaha)
Bad experience with the platinum team…they do not offer 24 hour service as they advertise because when I phoned after business hours, they told me to call back during business hours.
They also had trouble coordinating the booking event tickets and travel. No one ever called me to let me know they didn’t book my tickets. The welcome pack didn’t turn up either and I had to request it and the same with the magazine(it never turned up)