Qantas American Express Discovery

See the Best No Annual Fee Credit Cards in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Pros

• No Annual Fee

• No Points Earn Cap

• 0.75 point-per-dollar rate is reasonable for a $0-annual fee card

Cons

• Generally fewer sign-up bonus points compared to other cards

• Low Interest-Free Period (44 Days)

Qantas American Express Discovery
CategoryNo Annual Fee Credit Cards, Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards, Balance Transfer Credit Cards and Rewards Credit Cards
24-Hour Phone Contact No
Online Live Chat No
Card TypeAmerican Express
Minimum Credit Limit $2,000
Minimum Income $35,000
Additional Cardholders 4
Additional Cardholder Fee $0 p.a.
Rewards ProgramQantas Frequent Flyer
Points Earn Rate 0.75 points per $1
Points Conditions
  • 0.75 Qantas Points for every $1 spent on Card purchases
  • Earn 1 additional Qantas Point per $1 spent with Qantas
  • 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent at government bodies in Australia

There is no cap on earn rate.

Contactless PaymentsApple Pay, Fitbit Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay
Rates & Fees
Purchase Rate20.74% p.a.
Late Payment Fee$30
Annual Fee$0 p.a.
Interest Free Period 44 days
Balance Transfer Rates
Balance Transfer Period 12 months
Balance Transfer Rate 0% p.a.
Balance Transfer Fee 1%
Release dateJul 2011

Ideal for what I need - bonus is the Qantas points

I got the Amex Qantas card initially because most car hire companies want a credit card for their deposit. But now I use it for most purchases. In the past Amex was not accepted in many places, but now it is accepted almost everywhere (but not Aldi so we now shop at Coles/Woolies). Unlike Diners which is still not generally accepted, Amex has changed and the card is accepted in many more places than I knew about.

Card Start DateMay 2019
Main Point of ContactPhone
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses, Online Shopping, Overseas/Travel and Special Purchases

Great Card with no fee

Great card for earning Qantas frequent flyer points. Have also had access to other amex promotions such as Shop Small. No issues with using this card overseas and fx rates were quite good.

Fee free credit card!

No annual fee on this card and Qantas frequent flyer points makes it very attractive. Very easy to use website and some really great offers and rewards. Only down side is that unfortunately not all businesses accept American Express

Card Start DateJune 2013
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses and Online Shopping

Free, reliable, good value, easy to use

The American Express web portal is modern and fairly easy to use. The card has $0 annual fee and Qantas Frequent Flyer points, you'll also gain access to credit card statement offers amongst other things. As long as you can afford it this card is a no brainer, earn points and discounts and pay $0. Customer service are professional and can be contacted via your internet banking service. The point earning rates have decreased but it's still a good card overall.

Card Start DateMarch 2013

I earn .05-.07 Qantas frequent flyer points for every 1 dollar spent

I earn .05-.07 Qantas frequent flyer points for every 1 dollar spent fee free not bad. Only downside is that many businesses don't accept this card due to having a high interest charge. Those that do accept I find It is a pain having to ask each merchant if they pass on the fee or not so I can choose to use American express vs another card. The free ff points are the only reason I use this card otherwise I would not bother, I guess I am rewarded for the head ache of using Amex.

Card Start DateJanuary 2016

Great no fee card

Great due to having no annual fee. Still able to accumulate FF points and participate in Amex offers for savings.
Do not use balance transfers, can't comment on that.
Supplementary card is also free, have used for years without issue. Customer services is also great on the phone.

Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses

No annual fee but still earn points

I switched to this card from another AMEX which had an annual fee. This one doesn’t and I can still earn Qantas Frequent Flyer points - perfect! The AMEX app and website makes making payments very easy.

Card Start DateDecember 2018

No annual fees, earning Qantas points

I use this card as my supplementary card with a minimum credit limit. Overall this card is great as it doesn't attract annual fee while I can still earn Qantas points on my spending. Amex also have offers running regularly (for example, $$$ statement credit back when you spend a certain amount on fuel, clothes, dining etc) especially during holiday period. I find that the Shop Small promotion (usually around Christmas) run by Amex is great as I can take advantage of the $ off and also help out small local businesses.

The app is easy to use and activate offers/deals. I would highly recommend the app than web version.

With more and more places accepting Amex now, I think this card is definitely a must have if you want something that earn points while charging no annual fee.

Card Start DateMarch 2018
Card / Account Used ForOnline Shopping and Special Purchases

I mainly use this card when there is good amex offer

This free amex is very handy especially when there is a good monthly amex offer such as retail shops or restaurant. The app is very handy, will recommend to anyone who wants to utilise the amex deals

Card Start DateApril 2016
Card / Account Used ForOnline Shopping

AMEX Statement Credits

Card allows 0.75 to $1 for purchases, bonuses are the statement credits every now and then for different brands/services. I.e. Spend $10, get $10 back on Deliveroo which you need to opt into. Overall happy with the card. Downside is the surcharges on AMEX

Card Start DateSeptember 2017

Accepted in more stores. Collect Qantas FF Points

This credit card by AMEX attracts no annual fee and good to collect Qantas FF points. The card is not accepted in more stores, just make sure you ask the store attendant if there is a surcharge fee for the transaction.

Card Start DateJanuary 2009
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses and Online Shopping

Perfect card with no Annual fee!

I love my Amex Qantas Discovery, I use it for all my everyday purchases, earn qantas points and don’t have to worry about paying any annual fee. I am a student with a below average income so this was perfect for low spending and the income requirements are lower. I love the 24/7 chat on their website too, very easy to make contact.

Card Start DateSeptember 2018
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses

Great service. Good card for low-volume usage

I've been with AmEx for many years. I like this card because there is no annual fee. I don't have a high spend, so although the earn rate is lower than other cards, it's still good value for me. Other perks are that every now and then you can get offers to get a cashback on certain sorts of purchases.

When I have had the occasional issue, I've also been impressed by the service and customer support. This has included issues around repayments or suspect charges.

Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses

The best lifetime free credit card

I am using this card for over 2 years now.
Pros :
- No annual fee ever
- 1 Qantas point for each dollar spent
-High credit limit

Cons:
None
I would recommend anyone to use this card as it doesnt cost a penny and gives a lot in return

Card Start DateSeptember 2017

Happy with it!

No annual fee is a big plus. 44 days interest free means good management helps avoid any extra costs. The app is easy to use and keep an eye on things. The FF points with QANTAS are a good incentive to use it. Only downside really is how guilty I feel using it as I’m not sure how well they treat merchants. Given the number of places that refuse to accept it...I’m guessing they slug vendors. I avoid using it with small businesses but happily wave it around with the big end of town!

Best No Fee Credit Card

I have been using this credit card for more than 5 years and highly recommended it. No annual fee and every dollar you spent will convert to Qantas Frequent Flyer points. During the last few years, a lot of restaurants and shops are accepting payment from Amex. Most supermarket, department stores, petrol stations and even Maccas are accepting AMEX card. I always use this card whenever I can to collect more points, paying them in full monthly will not incur any interest so win win. Love it!

Nice rewards

This is a great card to have as there are no annual fees. As long as you're not spending frivolously and you're paying your statement on time, you will have no issues. I use this card for most of my purchases as I earn Qantas Points for each dollar spent. As I'm using it on stuff I'd normally buy without the card, it's really a bonus.

Best of all with AmEx is they have very generous cashback offers - for example if you spend $20 at a small merchant you'll get $10 cashback (campaign known as Shop Small).

The only disadvantage with AmEx overall is the fees they charge merchants compared to Visa/Mastercard/EFTPOS transactions. This has resulted in some merchants refusing to accept AmEx or imposing a fee on AmEx transactions. Sometimes, the fees negate the Qantas Points rewards so it's better off to just pay through Visa/Mastercard/EFTPOS, unless of course you're taking advantage of a cashback offer.

The interest rate is 20.74% which is crazy compared to alternatives from other institutions which charge around 10%, but as mentioned, don't spend frivolously and pay your statement on time and you won't have to worry about that.

It's a fraud

We had this card for 1 year. Within a few months they downgraded points you earn on everyday purchases. They also make it almost impossible to use the travel credit. The kicker was when we finally figured it out and purchased a flight abiding by all the rules, we there was an extra tiny and very hard to find tick box to 'add the travel credit' which we missed and they didn't honour it saying we 'forfeited it'. Don't bother. They make the bonus points on sign up not worth the hassle at all.

Best no annual-fee rewards card in Australia

I have had the AMEX QANTAS Discovery card for just over a year now. Not only is it a no annual-fee card, but since many banks have stopped issuing high earning points cards, the $1 - 1 point earn rate is pretty darn good for a no fee card. What I like about having a card issued directly by AMEX is that they have a steady stream of offers that you can save to your card (things such as "spend $50 at these retailers and get $20 back" etc.). The AMEX app is really easy to use too and sends you timely prompts when your balance is due. AMEX also allows the use of Apple Pay which is convenient when you forget your card!

Amex False Advertising - Don't Be Fooled

Signed up for balance transfer. 12 mth balance interest free.

With balance transfers, beware that once you make purchases, 44day interest free on purchase DOESN'T APPLY.

Which means every $1 you spend 20cents IMMEDIATELY goes to AMEX.

Which totally negates the term where they were suppose to allocate your payment to the highest interest. Since it's useless in this situation.

Why even put this term in the first...

I rather pay another bank balance transfers fee that's up front about this sort od thi by ans doesn't do this kind of manevours that let AMEX get a single cent out of my money.