American Express Velocity Escape

American Express Velocity Escape

See the Best Frequent Flyer & Travel Cards in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Great if you clear balance monthly

The card has limited use as some retailers don't accept and some charge quite a high rate for use. The interest rate's high so only use if you clear monthly.

Card Start DateFebruary 2017
Main Point of ContactOnline
Card / Account Used ForOnline Shopping and Overseas/Travel

Handy...but not rewarding

I've had this card for a few years now. It's definitely a 'no frills' card, and there are very few 'offers' which ever apply to me (e.g. AmEx offers which appear in the online account area). They tend to be focused on Sydney-siders!

Nonetheless, I keep it because it has no annual fee, and gives me the standard 55 day payment deferral window. I find this useful to manage my finances, and use it for basic day to day expenses.

The Velocity Points are a very small 'bonus', which could be substantial if you use this card regularly and have lots of big ticket expenses.

I would use this card more if I got offers from Coles, Woolworths, Kmart etc. as I go to these shops frequently.

I haven't been invited to try the PayFlex programme which AmEx is trialling in Australia... I would benefit from this feature, which is very similar to services like Skye, Afterpay, Zipmoney etc.

Overall, an OK but not a wow.

Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses and Online Shopping

convenient card with no annual fee

Have had this card for a number of years, handy to have, and build my velocity ff points. Can take part in amex offers which is a great feature.
Available on apple pay, so it's convenient and i don't have to carry the card around.

Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses and Online Shopping

Lots of promotions

American Express Velocity Escape is a nice card which has zero annual fees. It is able to collect more Velocity points per dollar when compared with the visa or master cards. However, many shops still reject Amex cards due to the high surcharge. I never used it overseas and I think additional charge required when using it overseas with a different currency. I never transfer the balance either because I don't have any outstanding credit card debts. Overall, I still think Qantas points is better than Velocity points but this one has more than 50 interest-free days while the Qantas card has only 40 days. Lastly, the Amex website has a lot of promotions which is the main reason I applied for this card.

Card Start DateJune 2018
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses

one of the better cards

No problems with this card. Statement always accurate and on time. They have good member offers though some of these are a bit rich for the average shopper. Might suggest they make these offers a bit more realistic for everyone. Velocity rewards mount up quickly, haven't tried to redeem as yet so will have to wait and see about that.

Card Start DateApril 2015
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses, Online Shopping and Special Purchases

Watchout for hidden charges

I pay my credit in full every month. I suddenly checked my statement and found $9.45 interest charges on my account. When I called them up they said they don't know why this has been charged even though I pay in full every month. So they just apologized and rollover the charges. They will also transfer 1500 velocity points as an apology. But I don't care about the velocity point instead I am waiting for rollover and then close my account.

Just an advice, be carful and check your full balance on credit card every month.

Worst Experience With Balance Transfer to AMEX

The worst experience ever with AMEX. Initially apply for $5000 balance transfer but somehow they accept my application and send the card to me. After register than I realise it is only approved $2800 balance transfer. If I not activate the card won't even know how much I have approved for. No email no phone call to advise that. Fine. I call up AMEX to clarify that and they ask me to call balance transfer team, so which I did. The balance transfer team advise I'm unable to increase balance transfer and unable to cancel balance transfer. I ask all the AMEX team members and no one can answer me simple question of what is the purpose of balance transfer & debt consolidation, the whole point is transfer all my existing balance to AMEX and close the other account. AMEX team members are just simply say unable to do anything, so that only left me a way to cancel the card. Then they keep emphasis on I still have to pay the balance transfer bla bla bla. This is absolutely nightmare by saying AMEX can do nothing about. Worst experience even and not even start using AMEX and that's what happened, lucky to realise now, I just can't imagine down the track how the customer services experience will be like.

No annual fee with big reward

I joined them to accumulate velocity frequent flyer point.
Very happy except lots of shops dont accept Amex or they charge 3% surcharge.
Happy with 24/7 call center and friendly staff.
Feels secure with sms fraud alert when I purchase from overseas or bigger amount
Not too long before I can go to free holiday!

How a credit card should be - with some big provisos

I have had this card for more than 6 months now and even travelled overseas with it. I really enjoy using it. There are 2 big drawbacks though:- there are still many small business and food vendors that refuse to take it so i am forced to carry a second card, and nearly everytime I use it I have have to fiddle with the EFTPOS reader as the card must use a chip that doesn't read perfectly everytime
- customer service and website operates better than any card I have any used
not every vendor accepts it so I still need other cards, not every EFTPOS terminal reads the card well

I finally and reluctantly gave up this card - enjoyed using it, enjoy using their website and even calling customer support - they are very good