Ancestry.com

Ancestry.com (page 2 of 6)

Steven S.

Steven S.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

How the hell can Ancestry.com.au be allowed to operate in Australia?

Ciao Telstra !

Ciao Telstra !PERTH

Terrible

They take $150+ bucks from you - results??? Yeah Right ! I'll be dead by the time I receive them and I'm only 55 years old ! Don't be sucked into this crap! ACCC is on the way !!!

Rose K.

Rose K.South East Queensland, QLD

Waste of money and no free trial - no way to cancel membership

I applied to find family on 8/10/20 and decided after one day that this was not suitable for my family. I tried cancelling my free trial and was unable to. Not until I was charged for a month was I able to cancel my trial. Not happy at all.

Kookymonster192

Kookymonster192Queensland

More information on my complaint

My whole family tree is gone once I cancelled my paid subscription. As I said in my previous post I had to cancel my paid subscription because I can no longer afford it. Now I find the whole family tree I created (which most of it was from the free access btw ... I only subscribed to find my great-grandmother who was German) is gone. I will no longer use this service because all they want is your money. I hope this goes to the higher ups so they know what they are doing.

Ginger

GingerGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

FORGET THE MARKETING HYPE - free trial and easy cancellation?

Signed up for free trial and cancelled online 4 days before auto renew monthly subscription. Cancelled online TWICE and still payment was deducted from my account. Ancestry asks: what browser did you use to cancel? It will take 7-10 days to refund - why? it took overnight to deduct from my account and 1 day to show in their bank account!
Very disappointed in this company. Will not be using their site, will go to a competitor like MyHertitage .com instead - they offer a family tree building platform and do not harass you to sign up for paid memberships.

Tom

TomSouth-Eastern Region, NSW

Absolute unscrupulous company, debits your account without asking

I paid for a genetic test and 2 weeks free membership. 3 weeks before I even received my genetic test data the company debited a further $250 from my account!! Unbelievable. Seems to be no way to even contact them or try and get the money back. Complete thieves. Stay away

This free trial is fraud

Do not sign up for this absolutely illegal "free trial". I cancelled my free trial 3 times almost immediately after signing up and yet they still billed my credit card. This is fraud and you should be ashamed.

Your subscription will auto renew, and you cannot stop it online. Support is very poor.

The 'Free' Trial is a scam!

Cancelled this in the free trial, then a month or so got a $60 AUD subscription fee. Tried contacting them, couldn't get through. Looked at my account detail s and the subscription hadn't been cancelled. Then followed on to cancel it and had to click on tiny text on about 3 or 4 different pages asking if I was sure. until I finally got a confirmation of cancellation (via email). Absolute scam. Should be illegal to make people go through so many hoops to cancel a subscription. And I mean $60 a month! Not cheap!

Crystal D.

Crystal D.South East Queensland, QLD

Great website, but cancelling subscription is a bit of a mission.

We (my MIL specifically, I just helped her to find out about her ancestors) signed up for a free trial to check out the website. We found out quite a bit during our free trial, and cancelled her subscription.. or so we thought. Apparently her subscription didn't cancel, because she now has two credit card charges show up from Ancestry a couple months later.
I went on their website tonight, found that her account is still activated. I re-cancelled. Then rechecked. Again it hadn't. I scrolled right down, & in really small letter, it asks you to reconfirm the cancellation. Beware!
* However the Ancestry website itself was easy to navigate and to go back finding facts out about long lost family members.

Anna O.

Anna O.South East Queensland, QLD

Ancestry.com.au deletes information you've previously saved

australian ancestry site keeps deleting the information that I've already done. It disapears overnight. I've had to print family tree jsut to reenter the information when it the website deletes whole branches of the tree.

Jo Smith

Jo SmithPerth, WA

FREE 14 day trial - Scam.

You have to give them your credit card details before you can access anything, how can that be free. Then they deluge you with emails and they obviously sell your details because I created an email address for this, so I could keep track of any info I find, and the address has been slammed with spam emails.

JGLS

JGLSGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

DISGUSTING

They are stupidly expensive and so often you've paid and then go to "view item" and there is NO IMAGE to view! Wrote a number of times and got no replies so going to Paypal to get monies back now. Their site, they should make it work, considering the prices they charge.

Althom

AlthomPerth, WA

Very buggy website.

The ancestry.com.au site seems to be having more than it's fair share of issues. Sure more people are home and using it but this is a long term problem. Quite often detail disappears overnight, saved items aren't saved, new images can't be uploaded.
Either fix it or significantly reduce prices.

Sandy

SandySydney, NSW

So slow....can't handle the traffic of so many users

I understand why Ancestory.com.au database is not coping well with the traffic of so many staying at home due to Coronavirus and spending lots of time on their website updating family history....however what my beef is, they are doing a mothers day special trying to get more users.....they can't cope with what they have now, it times out, hangs, and today the edit field doesn't open up. No more users please until you get improved IT.

konrad s.

konrad s.Murrumbidgee Region, NSW

Very Poor

Joined Ancestry. Com to research family history. Am being charged by the month. Have tried repeatedly to unsubscribe and constantly being told that a customer service representative would contact me. 3 months later and still being billed I have yet to speak with anyone . This is nothing more than an offshore organisation to rip you off. Do not subscribe or even take up the trial offer! Once they get your details they continue to bill. Other genealogy sites far better!

Jules

JulesMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

If you are Maltese don't even bother!

My partner is Maltese & as a gift I gave him the Ancestry DNA kit. We were excited anticipating the fabulous mix of cultures making his DNA would reveal. It was the biggest anticlimax on the planet.

A bit of background on the history of Malta (get the hint Ancestry DNA?).
It's in the middle of the Mediterranean surrounded by many rich & diverse cultures - Spanish, Italian, Greek, Middle Eastern & Northern African. It's been raided for centuries by marauders & pirates and has seen its fairshare of invasion & colonisation.

Yet my partner's test results came back 99% MALTESE & 1% CENTRAL European!
FAIL!!!
Don't waste your money.

Rude customer service

I purchased the DNA kit as a gift for my husband. Never at any stage was there information about an ongoing subscription cost. I rang to cancel the subscription and the customer service person was extremely rude and told me my husband must have purchased the subscription ‘behind my back’... and asked to speak to him to validate his details. I stated he wasn’t here and asked if he needed to call up to validate this to which he said no but he can’t tell me any details??? Very rude!

Totally unethical

Eilidh M.

Eilidh M.

Unauthorised charges and unable to contact

Signed up for a free trial to examine the website. Decided it wasn't for me at this point in my life so cancelled my subscription.. or so I thought... Apparently my subscription didn't cancel, because I have two credit card charges show up from "Ancestry.com.au" 3 months later.
Went online, found apparently my account is still activated??
Phone was not answered when I made my call.
Problems:
1) Unauthorized credit card billing
2) not able to contact anyone in person to speak to about the issue
I am very upset by this and not really sure where to go for help.