Ancestry.com

Ancestry.com (page 3 of 6)

Maureen Hay

Maureen HayCanberra

Scam - Beware

I signed on for the "free trial" for 14 days. How to give lots of details including my MasterCard in case I wanted to extend beyond the "free trial". Without any communications, Ancestry charged my credit card for a recurring monthly charge. Only after a lot of problems and calls did I get this reversed.

resurgence

resurgenceMelbourne, Victoria

Absolutely atrocious customer service and a total scam

So apparently AncestryDNA don't include return shipping bags with their Ancenstry DNA gift kits. Yes you heard me right, they force the person whom the gift is for to cough up money to return the kit. They then claim they are included when I had none in the box. When I politely insisted that there was no return mailing bag included, they denied a simple gesture which would have turned a negative situation into a highly positive one. Heed these negative reviews, this company is run with greed and apathy and their employees have no idea how to support their customers. Based on my single interaction with them, I will never again invest any money in them again nor recommend them to anyone I know.

Fevsey

FevseyAustralian Capital Territory

Total scam

I waited over the 6-8 weeks waiting period for my results. I contacted them to see what was happening with my test , to be told they never received it. However I kept the tracking number from postage and found out it had been delivered and received. Does this company just take peoples DNA? Seems like it. Very disappointing. Choose a different company for DNA testing

CrystalW.

CrystalW.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Amazing results

Was given the DNA kit for a birthday and the results have been amazing.
I have located two half siblings I knew nothing about and through these connections have been able to find a lot of answers about my enigma father and his family. Information has at times been confronting, but after a bit of time processing it, has made me feel a bit more whole about my heritage and family history.

Brenda L

Brenda LGold Coast

Got overcharged $100

UpYours

UpYoursCanberra 2600, ACT

Disaster from the beginning - hope the results are better...

Colleen

ColleenSydney, NSW

UNAUTHORISED CHARGES

I have two unauthorised charges from Ancestry.com to my Amex card. I have tried several times to contact them for a refund and to halt the fraud charges. I have received one response with a telephone number to call which is NOT CONNECTED!!! Avoid them at all cost.

Kathleen7

Kathleen7AU

Ancestral Angst

Currently, big on advertising, Ancestry.com has proven very disappointing. They recently offered a $40 for 4 months access special which actually denied access to much of the data and then totally locked me out after a month. Much of the genealogical information seems to be compiled by people for whom English is not their first language, consequently, researching the data bases can confusing, misleading and incorrect.

TruthSeeker

TruthSeekerWestern Australia

Not worth paying monthly memberships

My mum had her DNA done and that was wonderful. Wanting to delve deeper and search for information, we were tempted by the FREE trial, with subsequent monthly repayments of $59.99 a month AUD. We were registered for 5 months and found the monthly membership to be a complete & utter WASTE OF MONEY. The searches were of no help to us. I only found one passenger shipping log for one ancestor. I'm disgusted, that they can do this, when during some months we did no searches at all.

Wazza

WazzaGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Incorrect and misleading information

The greatest joke.

Extraordinary. I was so keen to have my dna test. Got the results 3 weeks later. Just to read circles on a European map. And 7 words. That was it. Never been so conned in my life. And that my dear friends is the best lesson of all. Plus, all the results were wrong. We are still laughing about it. But poorer.

Bob

BobSouth East Queensland, QLD

Just taking your money$$$!!! Zero stars

Len

LenSydney, NSW

Ancelling Ancestry is very difficult

I had a look at Ancestry.com and decided to end the Free Trial. I follwed their instructions and believed all was cancelled. They kept billing me however. When i tried to cancel again their process their site takes you through a ridiculous number of misleading steps. I finallt got there but they refuse to refund me anything.

Sabrina Williams

Sabrina WilliamsVictoria

Excellent Resources Growing with Time: DNA a good start

Dee

DeeSydney Surrounds, NSW

Vague !!!!

Extremely vague results, not like the ads you see on TV where people get percentages down to 1%
I could be anything, convinced that they just use your surname to guess ethnicity,
waste of money, very disappointed

Peter D

Peter DCanberra 2600, ACT

Zero stars if I could.

Piesy001

Piesy001Rutherford

DNA test is a total waste of time. Go somewhere else.

Dad basically scammed out of money with this result. The result took more than 6 months to get and he only got it because he contacted support. Do not expect anything other than a unexplained % of where you come from, doesn't even let you know if it is a paternal or maternal test. There is a map with a circle around the countries it picks up. That's it, zip, nothing else. Really it is a absolute waste of $130. If you want a test go somewhere else. 0 stars for the DNA test, 2 stars because the lady at support was nice and patience with my father on finding the results. The whole thing is aimed at you getting a subscription to their family tree subscription service as it teases more information if you sign up to that.

Gwenda Williams

Gwenda Williams

“Customer service” - I’ve had a very poor experience.

Whatever you do, do NOT SIGN anything with these people. I signed in for a 14 DAY LOOK and immediately tried to cancel it several times. Thought I had been successful but now I’ve been charged $129.00 for NOTHING and I can’t get them to take me off or refund me because apparently I signed up and should have cancelled. I tried and tried to cancel! Still stuck on there. I’m hoping some public airing of my experience might help me. I never should have “had a look”

Ianthomo

IanthomoSydney Surrounds, NSW

Renewal Warning

The information gathered from Ancestry.com is invaluable but their policies on renewal need to be more transparent. BE WARNED - RENEWAL IS AUTOMATIC. While the small print in the T&Cs say it will be automatically renewed, I did not receive any notification that they were about to renew it nor did I receive any confirmation that they had renewed it. My only notification was the bill appearing on my bank statement. I was able to cancel but it cost me one month subscription.

Barry S

Barry SAbermain

DNA results not informative enough

I recently had my DNA checked via Ancestry DNA.
The results were very general and did not offer much in the way of information.
What does 98% Irish and Scottish (without a breakdown on percent for each) tell me?
Their advertising implies that the service is far better, than it is.
Waste of money and time.