Ancestry.com

Ancestry.com

Ian R.

Ian R.South East Queensland, QLD

Rated a two on mixed results

Crystal D.

Crystal D.South East Queensland, QLD

Great website, but cancelling subscription is a bit of a mission.

We (my MIL specifically, I just helped her to find out about her ancestors) signed up for a free trial to check out the website. We found out quite a bit during our free trial, and cancelled her subscription.. or so we thought. Apparently her subscription didn't cancel, because she now has two credit card charges show up from Ancestry a couple months later.
I went on their website tonight, found that her account is still activated. I re-cancelled. Then rechecked. Again it hadn't. I scrolled right down, & in really small letter, it asks you to reconfirm the cancellation. Beware!
* However the Ancestry website itself was easy to navigate and to go back finding facts out about long lost family members.

Althom

AlthomPerth, WA

Very buggy website.

The ancestry.com.au site seems to be having more than it's fair share of issues. Sure more people are home and using it but this is a long term problem. Quite often detail disappears overnight, saved items aren't saved, new images can't be uploaded.
Either fix it or significantly reduce prices.

Services

Find out how Ancestry.com compares to other Services

Kathleen7

Kathleen7AU

Ancestral Angst

Currently, big on advertising, Ancestry.com has proven very disappointing. They recently offered a $40 for 4 months access special which actually denied access to much of the data and then totally locked me out after a month. Much of the genealogical information seems to be compiled by people for whom English is not their first language, consequently, researching the data bases can confusing, misleading and incorrect.

Dee

DeeSydney Surrounds, NSW

Vague !!!!

Extremely vague results, not like the ads you see on TV where people get percentages down to 1%
I could be anything, convinced that they just use your surname to guess ethnicity,
waste of money, very disappointed

Piesy001

Piesy001Rutherford

DNA test is a total waste of time. Go somewhere else.

Dad basically scammed out of money with this result. The result took more than 6 months to get and he only got it because he contacted support. Do not expect anything other than a unexplained % of where you come from, doesn't even let you know if it is a paternal or maternal test. There is a map with a circle around the countries it picks up. That's it, zip, nothing else. Really it is a absolute waste of $130. If you want a test go somewhere else. 0 stars for the DNA test, 2 stars because the lady at support was nice and patience with my father on finding the results. The whole thing is aimed at you getting a subscription to their family tree subscription service as it teases more information if you sign up to that.

Sad Sam

Sad SamChiltern, Victoria

When technical updates go so horribly wrong!

Steph

StephTweed

Poor communication from Help Center

Tried to get help after my subscription lapsed after 1 day being late in renewing. Because bank card had changed no fees were automatically deducted. Sent a help request, no response. The website displayed the message that all data will be lost if not renewed within 30 days, however neither my home page, or Ancestry Help could tell me how to renew manually. Countdown on, lose data or figure out how to manually renew. Luckily I figured it out. Still no response from help centre, so complained a 2nd time, "someone will contact you shortly", two months later still waiting. You pay a subscription, but there are no responses to your requests for help, very poor customer service, no communication whatsoever.

Not suitable for Australia

Ancestry DNA testing does not recognise Melonisea of Aboriginal ancestors.
It is therefore totally useless for most Australians. They admitted this large gap in their database but refused a refund of the fees paid.

Services

Find out how Ancestry.com compares to other Services

Magnus

MagnusAdelaide

Ancestry is not what they seem to be !

I conducted a DNA test a while go and I was a bit disappointed with the details of the outcome - not specific enough. The waiting time for results also takes a bit too long. Said that, most disappointed thing about the whole experience was that they misspelt my surname on the results. I asked them to correct it but the answer I got back was - WE ARE TO BUSY TO FIX IT. What kind of business is this.......
Don't even think about doing your Family Tree as it will cost you a fortune.

DNA test is worthless

My partner ordered the DNA test kit for my birthday. After sending the kit back and receiving the results as of today I was very disappointed with the vague and blasé results. My results indicated to me that my genetic makeup is 40% Western Europe and 60% Lebanese. I already knew this! I expected a more in-depth reading. Western Europe is made up of at least 5-6 counties. A more accurate reading would be satisfactory. The test kits are at least $150.00, so if you have a fair to good idea as to what makes you than I suggest you just stick with that and save your money!

Sojourn47

Sojourn47Launceston, TAS

Excessive wait for DNA results

I paid for and posted the DNA kit to Ancestry over 8 weeks ago. The advertising encouraging people to undertake this service clearly states that you will have your results in 6 to 8 weeks. not so! I've now been told, after 8 weeks, that the results may be available after another 8 to 10 weeks. That makes 16 to 18 weeks. We I contacted Ancestry they flatly denied that there was any time delay. Beware!