ANZ Frequent Flyer

See the Best Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

CategoryFrequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards
Contact Number 13 13 14
24-Hour Phone Contact Yes
Online Live Chat No
Card TypeVisa
Minimum Credit Limit $1,000
Minimum Income $15,000
Additional Cardholders 3
Additional Cardholder Fee $65 p.a.
Rewards ProgramQantas Frequent Flyer
Points Earn Rate 0.5 points per $1
Points Conditions
  • 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent on eligible purchases up to and including $500 per statement period

• 0.25 Qantas Points per $1 spent on eligible purchases above $500 per statement period

• 1 bonus Qantas Point per $1 spent on selected Qantas products and services

Contactless PaymentsApple Pay, Fitbit Pay, Garmin Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay
Rates & Fees
Purchase Rate19.99% p.a.
Cash Advance Fee2%
Late Payment Fee$20
Annual Fee$95 p.a.
Foreign Transaction Fee 3%
Overseas ATM Withdrawal Fee$4
Interest Free Period 44 days
Cash Advance Rate21.49% p.a.
Introductory Offers
Sign-Up Bonus 25,000 bonus Qantas Points when you spend $1,000 on eligible purchases in the first 3 months from approval.
Release dateMay 2007

Very happy

Signed up because I wanted to accumulate Frequent Flyer points. They only gave me $1000 limit because I am a retiree but they don’t let me go over that which is great. I always pay the closing balance in full before the due date. There were no fees in the first year, but I requested an amnesty of fees on the second year too, and they granted this request. Therefore no complaints

Rates and Fees
Online Experience
Application Process
Card Start DateJune 2018
Main Point of ContactOnline
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses

Customer service Disappointed

Applied for the card inside the ANZ branch however kept refer me to a different Credit card with higher fees and spendind they want to sell me more products and was not heard as a customer. Only sticking around due to the rewards of Frequent Flyer.

Recieved the card is easy to use however looking for change since had a bad customer services as a first experince.

Rates and Fees
Rewards
Online Experience
Application Process
Card Start DateJanuary 2019
Main Point of ContactBranch
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses, Overseas/Travel and Special Purchases

Good card

I recently changed from the Platinum to this standard frequent flyer card due the cheaper rewards fee.
I have never had an issue using this card and and like that it earns me Frequent Flyer points that I have used on numerous occasions.

Main Point of ContactPhone
Card / Account Used ForOnline Shopping

Credit reporting error with card application

Applied for card and was denied. That's not why I'm unhappy. The credit I was applying for was 15k to use for international travel. That's the minimum limit stated on the application. I checked my credit report and it stated that I applied for a 50k card. This is false and misleading.

ANZ credit card travel insurance - don't leave home with it.

Some time ago I wrote a review entitled "Do not trust ANZ/QBE credit card travel insurance". QBE responded and reviewed the case and after countless apologies found that QBE was entitled to put claimants through the entire qualification procedure on each occasion contact was made with them in relation to the same trip. Of equal brush of, ANZ management gave me a complete brushoff,claiming the matter was between me and QBE. Interestingly, the PDS for the policy states the following.. "The Master Policies are contracts of insurance between ANZ and QBE. They are not contracts between QBE and you." The bottom line is ANZ disclaims all and any responsibility for the administration of ITS policy with QBE and allows QBE free reign to treat claimants like rubbish. The only protection is to change both bank and insurer.

Don't get this card

If you're planning on buy anything from an overseas merchant don't get this card they have a fee chargable but there is no explanation for this fee other than you bought this from an oversea merchant. There are other cards who don't charge anything.

Bad customer service. First impression already tarnished.

This is not about the card itself but more the customer service quality in relation to my application for this card. Despite the initial email confirming that a further email will be sent to me within 5 business days and a letter within 7 business days, I haven't had contact at all from their end and already had to follow up three times. I understand at this stage I'm not yet a customer of ANZ but a prospective one who is already turned off by the level of service. There are numerous credit card providers out there to choose from and I regret going with ANZ.

not the full story

beware if u sign up it will take 3mths before you will be credited with any bonus points!!! they will not tell you this before joining up and when i asked why not they said it was just the way they did it. to spite the fact it does not say that in any of the paperwork they send you before or after you join
easy to apply for
if u have issues staff are nice but not very helpful

Terrible

You can buy qantas points cheaply than the way this cards offer it. Basic maths - 95 fees. That means you have to earn 12000 points to cancel fees. Monthly 1000 points. YOUR CHOICE

high fees

OK

The annual fee and rewards fee are really high ($95) but for what you get it is not too bad but the thing is to spend a lot per month but to pay the balance. This card does not have a high annual fee but it also has a high interest rate (just under 20%). But this card is a wonderful way to get your points high so that you can redeem the points for a QANTAS flight.
That I can get frequent flyer points for every dollar that you spend at the card
Having a points program comes at a high cost

Terrible

I would have thought someone earning over $100 000/annum, living in the same place for 3 years and having a perfect credit history would have no problems obtaining approval. Apparently not. "Weak financials" was my decision after several times of re-applying and challenging their decision to no avail. This was while they were offering 10 000 bonus points upon signing up, so maybe they were hoping for me to re-apply when the deal was over.
Sounds like a good deal if they approve it for you.
Poor reason for decline of applications, and lack of thought into decision.

Terrible

Wow, I've had this card twice now. When I got it the second time, I had totally forgotten how terrible the interest rate was, and how high all the fees are. If you're the type of person who pays off their card each month, then this might work for you and get those frequent flyer points up. However, if you use the credit as credit, and accumulate interest, then go find a card with lower rates. Here's a hint... if you've had your card long enough, call ANZ and ask to close the account. They'll ask you why you're closing it. Tell them it's because of the high interest rate. They may agree to reduce the interest (on my first card, they went from 18% down to 6.5%) for 6 months or so. If you're disciplined, take advantage of the lower interest, pay it off, and then cancel it. Or, as I did the second time around, I just cancelled it straight out. I've given enough money to them!
Frequent flyer points
Massive interest rate and all the fees

Terrible

The fees on this card are absolutly crazy and with cheap flights these days you are better with a mastercard that has no rewards and a low interest rate and saving the cash that you pay on fees for your flights, not to forget the interest rate on this card is less than competative and to top it of the late fees. This is not a good option for the average consumer
The points
Everything else

Bad

It's an ok card but I am lookign at changing. at the time i got it a few years back it was the best on offer for what i wanted but the fees are a rort and I will definately look at changing now.
I used to like this card when it had better earning rates - but since reading the reviews on the fees and how much you earn to actually cancel out the fees Im a bit surprised. one point for each dollar is easy to follow and not many banks give you that these days.
statement is really easy to follow.
high fees - we have a second card and it costs us a couple of hundred a year to just run the two cards. high interest rate of course.!
hate the fact that the point get halved when you reach a cetain $ amount for the month.

Bad

ANZ as a bank, is one of those which I like but this card comes out to be very expensive unless you have any promotion running which can reward you with bonus points. A while ago they have changed the points rewarding to 1 point per $2 spend against the earlier which had cap on the points.

Normally the cards give 55 days but this one does 44.

The customer care service seems like do have any clue for the details or services offered by this product.
It is really an expensive card. There are other cards in the market which are cheaper and far better rewarding.
- Qantas Frequent Flyer Card
- Low points as a reward
- High Annual Fee
- High secondary card holder fee

Bad

Not worth keeping this for Qantas points anymore as ANZ is continually reducing the amount of Qantas FF points you can earn.
Qantas FF points
expensive fees & charges

OK

i thought keeping my accounts and investments with anz in australia might give me some confidence that i would still be looked after comfortably, considering i have had a bank account with anz before they bought out postbank in the early 90's. I suppose depending on geography it has to be assumed, but now believe, that each branch has it's own banking policies, proceedures and protocols etc. well with regards to the notification to share and/or account holders regarding a soon to be aired 'press release' covering what was the diaster in the financial markets in the united states of america... priceless... anz-australia and visa-international together supported me with information and that was all the confirmation i needed to know that my personal wealth was safe and secured.
I constantly travel the world so i guess i notch up a fair number of air-points. seeing a lot of my time at certain times of the year will be in the united states the reward i go for the most (at least twice per year) is the las vegas hotel package that gives you a room of your choice for three days, four nights up-grades available and last but not least ther ticket home. affordable, rewarding, consistantly thriving to make the product better.
at times the customer representitives amy either become difficult to understand or they are just plain rude. with some regret, i have been forced to visit my local airport for assistance with air-points or visit my local branch for the banking inquires, but it's generally smooth sailing with anything else.

OK

I think the benefits outweigh the costs. Like with everything in life you need to pay more to get more.......
Great extras that you recieve in the deal with this card. You get a free travel insurance program, purchase protection and get to be part of the rewards program.
Unfortunately for all the features there is a price. You have to pay a comparatively large interest rate and the annual fee is big too

OK

good concept card - old now, but like all things the big four banks are good at - buggering-up a good idea with excessive costs. Greed at its worst. I dumped it after 5yrs
good everyday use credit card with qantas points
the cost of being a part of the reward system, annual card fee, supplimentary card fee and high interest just wore my respect to nil

Good

A good card for general use. I always pay the total by due date and avoid any monthly charges. travel insurance is provided if you pay travel cost with the card.
all cards have the pro's and con's, but I feel this is possibly better than most.
I use this card from anz even though they are not my trading bank
readily accepted worldwide. very good qantas frequent flier program. exceptional 24/7 call centre. for me this has been a good card, and the card service centre is always helpful. I would recommend this card providing you don't run over due date. I have
High Interest Rates