APIA Car Insurance

How to compare car insurance to find the best policy for you

Read now

• 1-2 weeks (2)
    • 2-4 weeks (2)
    • 1-2 months (1)
    • 3+ months (6)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (6) · No (2)

Sloppy, slow and slack.

I was charged twice when I had to renew my green slip. Over two weeks have passed and it is still not sorted. After 4 calls and unreasonable wait times, I have now been advised I have to show proof of the payments, even though it was confirmed with my bank. I requested to be contacted and updated regarding this issue, but that is too much to ask of Apia. I have experienced lack of communication before, and that is why I moved my other two policies over to another seniors company. The customer service there is exemplary.

Graham
GrahamGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Apia stole my car by constantly reducing the agreed value

Jayantha
JayanthaSydney, NSW

Handling of my claim

Extremely disappointed that Apia disregarded my version and even the photo I submitted.Despite several discussions I felt badly treated and let down by APia.THey just would not listen.very sad that they treat their clients so badly

Miriam
MiriamNew South Wales

Claims handled very poorly

I live in a semi-rural area, near a medium sized city. My car was caught up in a recent flood a fortnight ago. Others in the area, with a different insurer, have had their claims finalised and are now driving their new cars. My car was in a holding yard for over a week and the claim is still not finalised and nobody tells me what is happening. Do not use this insurer if you don't live in a major city.

Brock
BrockCairns

36% price jump for moving house

Moved house from Far North Qld to Nambour on the Sunshine Coast and the insurance jumped 37% on our car. Nobody at Apia could explain why. Spent nearly an hour on the phone and cancelled the insurance as all three other companies we contacted were cheaper. This company is not helping retirees, in fact quite the reverse

Best Super Funds in 2020!

Wendy Z.7 Nov 2019
best-super-funds-in-2020

Best Credit Cards in 2020!

Wendy Z.19 Nov 2019

Worst insurance

Ciao Telstra !
Ciao Telstra !PERTH

Hilarious Ripoff

I'm 55 - unblemished driving record - got a quote online and it was over $200 more expensive than other insurers. So don't be an over 55 sucker and believe you are getting a discount with this mob !!! AVOID !!!

Simon
SimonGold Coast

APIA are for themselves..NOT Pensioners

ANOTHER UNHAPPY CUSTOMER

NEVER DEAL WITH THESE SCAMMERS!!! Brand new car worth $37,800 with under 300kms was rear ended 4 days after purchase date with minimum $26,000 worth of damage including the chassis which voids all my 7 year warranty so instead of a replacement vehicle they want to fix it, if I wanted a second hand car I would have bought one! They go against what you as the customer want! Lawyers are getting involved to solve this matter because they’re too incompetent to do so professionally! Spread the word and go with any other company!!!

Scarlett
ScarlettDandenong

Screwed Over Big Time

Nellie
NellieN/a

16% increase in premium is excessive

Shaynne
Shaynne

Wouldn't touch it with my enemy's vehicle

Nicholas S
Nicholas SSouthwest, VIC

Dishonest, incompetent, inefficient, infuriating overseas call centre

They insisted that I use their repairer and that I had selected this option on the original policy . I asked several times for a PDF of the policy but it never came.

They have a call centre in The Philippines staffed by people with poor English skills.They made numerous mistakes which were IMPOSSIBLE to sort out because of the language skills.

I found myself doing a lot of the work that they should have done.

Two final points:

1. Don't ever ever use Apia.
2. Don t believe the good reviews. The word choice, style of expression etc point to them being written by 1 or 2 individuals but you probably guessed that.

Isa
IsaGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Very long time to get car assessed

had my parked car damaged badly 2 weeks ago and have been told still has not been assessed I find this far too long to wait, not happy with time

Insurance TypeComprehensive

Andrew
AndrewSydney

Getting older doesn't mean I got lobotomised to good service!

Turning 50 recently, I switched my car insurance over to APIA, looking to benefit from lower premiums, what I didn't realise was the true cost of switching.
Needing to fix my vehicle after a minor accident, the service I've encountered has been nothing by a disaster. Having to leave my vehicle for days on end for inspection assessment, needing to go to multiple repairers, waiting weeks to have it fixed and having to travel +40 mins to the nearest repair who could do the work. The time and money wasted can't justifies the small cost saving.
Their ad says 'I wish that I knew what I know now', too right. Don't use APIA, you pay for what you get. Going back to Coles Car insurance by far a better offering.

Christine W.asked
Car Insurance - Comprehensive

I have lodged a claim with APIA, for damage to my car by a third party. But I was told by APIA that I have to pay the excess upfront, and I'll get it refunded "IF things work out with the third party"! I am having anxiety over the idea that I might get stuck with the $825 excess bill! This seems so wrong, when I'm the victim!

New Customer

Check your product disclosure statement. Good luck! I forwarded my bank statement to them 4 days ago showing I was charged twice for my CTP renewal. Still NO communication. Apia needs to be held to account!

Christine W.

Thanks. I will do that. Good luck with yours.

paul merrett
paul merrettasked
Car Insurance

my car has been scratched on boot. if i make a claim do the premiums rise

David
Davidasked
Car Insurance - Comprehensive

Hi want now about my car insura

Get an answer from our members and APIA representatives

APIA Car Insurance

Compare all 3 APIA Car Insurance
CategoryRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Funeral, Health, Home and Contents and TravelFuneral, Health, Home and Contents and TravelFuneral, Health, Home and Contents and Travel
Coverage TypeComprehensiveThird Party Property DamageThird Party, Fire and Theft
UnderwriterAAIAAIAAI
Legal Liability Cover Included up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 million
Roadside Assistance Optional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Reduced or Zero Excess Windscreen CoverZero Excess Optional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Choice of RepairerAllowedAllowedAllowed
After Accident Care
Hire Car after an Incident

Optional extra, up to $90 per day for unlimited days

Not Included

Emergency Transport & AccommodationIncluded up to $500Included up to $500Included up to $500 for Fire & Theft only
Towing Costs IncludedNot IncludedIncluded
Hire Car after a No Fault Accident

Included up to 21 days

Essential / Emergency RepairsIncluded up to $500Not IncludedIncluded up to $500 for Fire & Theft only
Benefits
Pay As You Drive / Fixed Kilometre DiscountNot OfferedNot OfferedNot Offered
Hire Car after Theft

Lock and Key ReplacementIncluded up to $1,000Not IncludedIncluded up to $1,000
Transit Cover Not IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Trailer & Caravan CoverIncluded up to $2,000Not IncludedNot Included
Child Safety Seats and PramsIncluded as part of Personal Property cover, up to $1,000Not IncludedIncluded as part of Personal Property cover, for Fire & Theft only
New-for-old Car Replacement

Earlier than 10 years old

Not Included

Personal Property CoverIncluded up to a total of $1,000 (combined with Child Seats / Prams)Not IncludedIncluded up to a total of $1,000 for Fire & Theft only
Uninsured Motorist Benefit Not ApplicableIncluded up to $5,000Included up to $5,000
Accidental Loss or Damage