APIA Car Insurance

How to compare car insurance to find the best policy for you

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

• Timeliness
  • Claim Resolution Time
    • 2-4 weeks (1)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (2) · No (0)
Wayne Burgess
Wayne Burgess

Very disappointed

I have had comprehensive car insurance and house and contents insurance with APIA for quite a few years and have never made a claim. I was surprised and disappointed when I received my car insurance renewal notice and found it had gone up by 14.9% while the agreed value went down. APIA was over $150 dollars more than the online quote from another company for comparable cover with a much higher agreed value. When I phoned APIA i was only offered a $40 discount. So very disappointed. Might need to switch companies for House and Contents insurance as well.

Neighbours address is cheaper!

My car insurance with Apia is due for renewal. I decided to change the amount insured so went online to compare different insured amounts. To my horror I accidentally typed my neighbour’s house number and found the quote was $60 p.a. cheaper than my house number, so I tried the house number across the road and it was even cheaper. Why???? I rang Apia and they could give no explanation other than it happens.

Morpheus
MorpheusGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

overpriced

over the last 3 years.... the premium rose from $50 a month to over $70 a month this year $853 for the year for a 10 year old Commodore...no claims ....got a quote from RACV....$256 cheaper....Apia have a kilometre range of 5000 to 10000 kilometre ....for that discount ??? RACV have no range restriction....

Dave Thomson
Dave ThomsonPerth, WA

Awful Service

Not Happy Jan
Not Happy JanGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

You Cost Us Money

Best Super Funds in 2020!

Wendy Z.7 Nov 2019
best-super-funds-in-2020

Best Credit Cards in 2020!

Wendy Z.19 Nov 2019
best-credit-cards-in-2020

We compared reviews on the Top 5 Most Popular Car Insurance Providers

Avleen M.
Avleen M.1 June 2020
we-compared-reviews-on-the-top-5-most-popular-car-insurance-providers
Xy guy
Xy guyCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Shop around no customer loyalty with Apia

Have been with Apia since I got my new car in the beginning of 2014. Each year my car depreciated but up up up went my monthly insurance. Now it's become ridiculous. Called and got spoken to like I'm an idiot with excuses that didn't wash. Shopped around and got exactly the same insurance with another well known and respected insurer for $230 a year less. Apia, seriously, you should be rewarding customer loyalty, not punishing it. Never again.

Laurenv
LaurenvMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

APIA...not for Seniors!

I have been insured with APIA for a few yrs now, and , at first, they were top notch. Now, my car insurance premiums have risen a LOT! ON enquiring why, I was given the usual blurb about their superior cover etc, which is untrue, as I discovered that I am not even covered for windshield damage. The fact that my cars' value is reducing, thus means a smaller payout from them, should my car be written off..and so on. I have had various quotes, but will probably go with CGU, via my Credit Union...about $20 p/mth cheaper, and with better cover.

Insurance claim madeNo
Doreen22
Doreen22South East Queensland, QLD

Don't bother

Still taking payments from my account after policy was cancelled. Have had nothing but problems contacting them. Dont think the left hand knows what the right one is doing. Fed up!

Insurance claim madeNo

Ripped off Senior!

After making a no fault claim for my father and being informed the Car was a write off, it was very disappointing to be told that We cannot cancel the Registration with Vic Roads as the car now belongs to them. How is it fair that we pay for the Registration and Apia cancels it and keeps the refund. Apparently it is written in the fine print of the policy. I contacted VicRoads and was told there are a couple of Insurance companies that do this so make sure you all read the fine print !

Claims process woeful

Our 6 mth old car was a write off. They took a week to assess, then another week to confirm new for old replacement. They then took another week to confirm the particular make/model of replacement car. Each time we phoned for updates we were on hold for 30-50 minutes. The online claims info gives no detailed information. The claims officers do their best but they can do no more than read info from computer screen. I just wanted to speak to someone with authority who could tell me my options. The outcome was satisfactory, but the stress caused by APIA's processes was immense.

Insurance claim madeYes

Dont call unless you have all the time in the world

wait times to all phone lines are ridiculous, no matter when you call have tried on three different occassions today each time waitied approx. 35-40 minutes whilst being left on hold only to be placed on hold again for another 10 minutes once answered, I appreciate they have a high influx of calls perhaps they need to hire the appropriate amount of staff to deal with there customers

Don't Make a Claim

All good when paying premiums then come to make a claim and they treat you like a criminal because things didn't happen the way they recon it happened. Hmmm.. they were not in the car I was so I guess they calling me a liar. Have taken my car away from them getting it fixed myself then I will chase them legally to get my money back. Don't ever use this company.
nothing
rude and treat you like a criminal

Slowest claim payer in the world!

A no fault claim remains unpaid to me from APIA after 2 long months and several emails and many phone calls. I've never struck such administrative incompetence before. You never know how good an insurer is until you need to make a claim!

Unreasonable attitude, poor customer service

My car was hit in a carpark by another vehicle that backed into me. APIA customer service rep told me that in such instances both drivers are considered at fault (convenient, both insurers can charge the excess!). In the end I settled it with the other driver, we each paid half of the damage to my car (there was none to hers). Despite this, the customer service rep told me that I may have to pay a higher premium next year because I had reported the accident (even though there was no cost to them).

jill29
jill29melbourne

Car and house insurance

Christine W.asked
Car Insurance - Comprehensive

I have lodged a claim with APIA, for damage to my car by a third party. But I was told by APIA that I have to pay the excess upfront, and I'll get it refunded "IF things work out with the third party"! I am having anxiety over the idea that I might get stuck with the $825 excess bill! This seems so wrong, when I'm the victim!

New Customer
New Customer

Check your product disclosure statement. Good luck! I forwarded my bank statement to them 4 days ago showing I was charged twice for my CTP renewal. Still NO communication. Apia needs to be held to account!

Christine W.

Thanks. I will do that. Good luck with yours.

paul merrett
paul merrettasked
Car Insurance

my car has been scratched on boot. if i make a claim do the premiums rise

David
Davidasked
Car Insurance - Comprehensive

Hi want now about my car insura

Get an answer from our members and APIA representatives

APIA Car Insurance

Compare all 3 APIA Car Insurance
CategoryRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car InsuranceRoadside Assistance Providers and Car Insurance
Other Insurance Types Offered Funeral, Health, Home and Contents and TravelFuneral, Health, Home and Contents and TravelFuneral, Health, Home and Contents and Travel
Coverage TypeComprehensiveThird Party Property DamageThird Party, Fire and Theft
UnderwriterAAIAAIAAI
Legal Liability Cover Included up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 millionIncluded up to $20 million
Roadside Assistance Optional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Reduced or Zero Excess Windscreen CoverZero Excess Optional ExtraNot OfferedNot Offered
Choice of RepairerAllowedAllowedAllowed
After Accident Care
Hire Car after an Incident

Optional extra, up to $90 per day for unlimited days

Not Included

Emergency Transport & AccommodationIncluded up to $500Included up to $500Included up to $500 for Fire & Theft only
Towing Costs IncludedNot IncludedIncluded
Hire Car after a No Fault Accident

Included up to 21 days

Essential / Emergency RepairsIncluded up to $500Not IncludedIncluded up to $500 for Fire & Theft only
Benefits
Pay As You Drive / Fixed Kilometre DiscountNot OfferedNot OfferedNot Offered
Hire Car after Theft

Lock and Key ReplacementIncluded up to $1,000Not IncludedIncluded up to $1,000
Transit Cover Not IncludedNot IncludedNot Included
Trailer & Caravan CoverIncluded up to $2,000Not IncludedNot Included
Child Safety Seats and PramsIncluded as part of Personal Property cover, up to $1,000Not IncludedIncluded as part of Personal Property cover, for Fire & Theft only
New-for-old Car Replacement

Earlier than 10 years old

Not Included

Personal Property CoverIncluded up to a total of $1,000 (combined with Child Seats / Prams)Not IncludedIncluded up to a total of $1,000 for Fire & Theft only
Uninsured Motorist Benefit Not ApplicableIncluded up to $5,000Included up to $5,000
Accidental Loss or Damage