Apple Airport Extreme 802.11ac

Apple Airport Extreme 802.11ac

Almost perfect, lacking in IPv6

Bought a secondhand unit to replace my existing WIFI router.

What's good?
Very easy setup.
Good WIFI strength, able to still communicate when signal strength is very weak (-80dBm).

What's not so good?
Overly simplified setup, no advance features available - VPN, VLAN, multiple SSID, etc.

What's not good?
Does not seems to work very well with IPv6, can't get IP address from ISP when acting as main router.

Purchased in April 2019.

Number of Connected Devices 6 devices
Functionality
Ease of Setup
Wi-Fi Range
Reliability

Stable and high quality

It's a shame that Apple isn't making Airport routers anymore. They are an amazing product and I have been using them for many years with no faults.

I probably only have to reboot an Airport base station once or twice a year and our house is full of connected devices from Security cameras, smart appliances, home automation, computers, tablets, phones and printers.

I snapped this up as an extra before current stocks run out. I might just have to get another Airport Express before they are all gone.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Excellent and reliable router

Easy to use and set-up with simple onscreen instructions in Mac OSX
Reliable and rarely drops out (maybe only twice in the past 2 years).
Works great on the NBN and we regularly get speeds of 95mbps+ on a 100mbps plan. Good range as well and we have great signal strength even many rooms away from the office where the router is located

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Used it for years and it's still going

I have had an AE with the 2TB time capsule and have used it for about 3-4 years now. It is still going strong and would highly recommend it to my friends and family who have small-medium houses. It is not great if you have a large house (>30sq) as it will not give you good coverage. The only way to extend it is to buy another Airport and link them up. There are better alternatives (mesh WiFi) if you have a large home.

Date PurchasedAug 2015

Pretty reliable

This device is pretty easy to setup - compared to other routers. It has pretty good range, and the signals are strong. I use this in conjunction with other Airport devices to extend the range, and all have been reliable so far. I would recommend this product to anyone anytime.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Works well and easy to configure

Works well on its own or as the gateway to NBN connection box (FTTP). Wifi has a very good reach and speed throughout the house. It also functions as a media server, connecting/sharing photos, videos, music on other devices around the house. And its design is beautiful, like a work of art, can be left as a decoration on a shelf or desk. The app to configure the router is so simple to use.

Date PurchasedSep 2015

Amazing

wish i got one of these earlier, had my doubts due to it being an old product but still faster than my other 1 year router, would definitely recommend, also if you plug a hard drive into it, wireless time machine backing up! Speed is always over 100mbps and covers the whole house!

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Apple Products Defy Logic And Don't Work Well Together

I changed service providers and required a new modem/router and being that everyone in my house seems to be Mac orientated I bought an AirPort Extreme Base Station with the assumption it would be the best router for all the Apple devices in my house, which, as it turns out, isn't the case at all. The AirPort works very well with my Mac and smart televisions in the house but doesn't work at all with Pioneer Wi-Fi speakers and with Apple's own iPads and iPhones, it can only deliver internet speeds of 7mbps - that's unacceptable. I took my brand new iPad Mini to the Apple Store to have them fix the issue and two of their "geniuses" could not fix it and said I should call Apple Care, which I did. Apple Care did not know how to fix the problem and basically said to me, "Too bad." I spent a whole day trying to get acceptable internet speeds on my iPad through the AirPort Extreme but they don't work well together. Now I'm stuck with slow Apple mobile devices until either Apple either fix the problem with an update, which isn't likely as this problem has existed for half a year so far, or buying a new modem/router.

Apple's AirPortExtreme Base Station doesn't work with Apple's iPads and iPhones and other Wi-Fi products