Apple Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter

Apple Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter

3.0 from 1 review

A stupid solution to a stupid problem... But it works.

Okay, let me get this out of the way first...
This is a stupid solution to a stupid problem that shouldn't exist. Removing the headphone jack from a phone brings no benefits whatsoever to customers. It's a blatant anti-consumer move designed to maximise profit.

Having said that, let’s look at this thing. It’s a dongle. A cheap little contraption that allows you to plug your heaphones into a Lightning port.
Apple is basically charging you $15 To solve a problem they created.
But how good is this thing?
Here comes the bit that surprises me. The dongle it’s pretty good. Quite good in fact.
It has a tiny little DAC that can decode up to 48khz/24 bit with very, very little harmonic distortion and very low noise.
The sound comes through clean, crisp and neutral.
I got a dedicated DAC/AMP that doesn’t sound as clean!
It’s not all perfect though. While it can drive my MSR7 quite nicely, It just doesn’t have the power to drive more demanding headphones. Also, while my headphone controls work just fine, I’ve heard people complain that theirs didn’t.

Another point to consider is that you can’t charge and listen to music at the same time unless you buy a third party solution. More money spent needlessly.

In conclusion, it could’ve been worse. You do get a pretty competent piece of equipment for a reasonable price. Mind you, I still can’t get the bad taste out of my mouth.

Date PurchasedNov 2018