Easy to read watch face
Provides exact health stats
Seamlessly integrates with Apple products
Relatively short battery life
Apple will not repair. They offer me a refurbished watch instead for a price.
Before I start with my review I would just like to say this. I received this watch from my son for my 70th birthday as a gift. I really liked it and I treated it with extreme care. It seemed so delicate that I even wrapped it in a soft cloth before putting it on charge. I know that it cost my son a lot of money and I know that I took good care of it. How the watch got damaged is a mystery to me. However it was damaged and this is what happened after. This review is not about the watch itself but about apples policies and business model. Is it l...egal and how do they get away with it in Australia. The heart rate monitor started malfunctioning on my watch during my daily workout at the gym. I took it of to see if my perspiration was blocking the signal, but what I discovered was some hairline cracks on the back glass. (As I said it seemed too delicate and it obviously is) I called apple to make an appointment to take the watch in, but because of covid9 lock-down, they suggested that I send the watch in to them. I explained to them about the cracks in the back glass and they told me over the phone that it could be repaired under the warranty, "just send it in". I was expecting a call back from them after posting the watch off to them. That never happened. They returned my watch to me not-repaired saying that they discovered some hairline cracks in the back glass that I had not mentioned. SIC I then called them to discuss. They told me that they could not repair the watch but that if I paid them $480 then they would send me another one. I then decided to take a trip down to "The Genius Bar" after the lock-down to have a face to face. During my discussion with the Genius at the Genius-Bar, I specifically asked him if they would replace the watch with a new one. He said 'no" it would probably be a refurbished watch. I was surprised at this because they said that the apple watches could not be repaired, so why give me a refurbished watch, why not just repair the one I have. He "Genius" then said that It would take a long time for the repair. I said that that would be OK because I can wait. No he said. we do things this way and that was that. The question is. "Are they scamming their customers? They charge an exorbitant standard rate for a replacement, they take the watches that are damaged, cannibalise them, and use the parts to repair other watches . "Is this legal?, Would it not have been cheaper for me if they simply replaced the back glass like any other decent watchmaker would do, and charge me a reasonable price. After all they know exactly what the problem is with the watch that I have. The watch is now lying at the bottom of my drawer, $480 for a repair that would probably cost say $100 on the top side.
Purchased in August 2020.
Heart rate monitor not working
My heart monitor is not picking up my pulse when I am going for a run it takes 5-10min before it reads my pulse, call apple a few times and they said to wait until the update comes through who know when and it will fix the issue other than that sell the watch which is still under warranty...
Wants jb hifi to foot the replacement cost not cool at all....
Watch keeps disconnecting from phone, and apple support team is helpless. Don't waste your money, its not worth it. Apple is not willing to help. Dont waste your money please
Purchased in July 2020 at JB Hi-Fi for $850.00.
Find out how Apple Watch Series 5 compares to other Smart Watches / Fitness Trackers
Know better, choose better.
- Series 5 GPS + Cellular
VERY BAD BATTERY LIFE
I bought this to replace my FitBit so I can get calls and messages through the watch. The battery life of Fitbit is really good, takes at least 4 days to need recharging. iWatch is no where as good as Fitbit. It only takes less than 24 hours to need recharging, which is very cumbersome. Will try to sell iWatch and get a Fitbit that has cellular function.
ECG app DOES NOT work or NOT Available in Australia
Purchased in July 2020 at Apple Online store for $849.00.
Fitbit much better than Apple Watch
Fitbit much better than Apple Watch and much cheaper, Apple Watch doesn’t have one app with different applications and you have to charge it every day while Fitbit not, Fitbit can last for 7 days and has one simple app
Poor quality screen
Watch screen cracked after 2 months. Very poor quality for such an expensive product, no option to repair and now the broken glass is dangerous to touch. The Apple store where no help and didn’t provide and indication of what I could do.
Purchased in December 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for $699.00.
Drops Calls ALL the time!
This watch continually drops calls leaving the caller on the other end wondering what happened. It also has delays so the other caller doesn't hear what is said. I've tried resetting, uploading the latest software, etc. etc. Nothing helps.
Turning off wifi doesn't help because the watch automatically turns it back on again.
I can't use it as a reliable device because of the continual drop outs.
I'm really disappointed in this device. It wasn't worth the money and I would advise others not to waste theirs. It is not fit for purpose and I am...
Purchased in December 2019 at Apple Physical store.
Questions & Answers
i am looking for a stand alone watch. i don't have a mobile phone and want a watch with which i can make and receive phone calls - oh and tell the time. does apple sell such a product in australia?
Apple doesn’t sell such a product anywhere. If you want to use an Apple Warch, you need to have an iPhone. Apple Watches won’t suit your use case, sorry.
I am using my second Apple Watch after upgrading early this year. The watch does almost all that it claims very well - but does NOT give an accurate heart rate, contrary to its claim. That aside, it’s a wonderfully flexible watch. It is able to make and receive phone calls if you don’t mind others nearby hearing your conversation. However for the phone function to operate you need to purchase the slightly more expensive watch with a ‘chip’ insert. Hope this assists.
Get an answer from our members
- Watches in the Apple Watch Series 5 range track your daily activity and accurately measure all your favourite workouts, so you can easily see your progress.
- They also measure your health stats, such as your blood oxygen levels, to help you be more in tune with your body.
- Emergency SOS and the ability to detect if you’ve fallen help make your walk, run, or ride safer, giving you a bit more peace of mind when you’re out and about.
- These watches have an Always-On Retina display so you can easily see the interface at all times, and are cellular, so you don’t have to worry about carrying your phone around with you.
- You can choose from a variety of case and band materials and colours and patterns - there are aluminium and stainless steel cases, as well as everything from sports to leather bands.
Points of praise:
- Most reviewers found that the watch face was easy to read, largely thanks to the larger, lit-up display.
- They also found that it was fairly accurate in reading their heart rate and other similar health metrics.
- According to reviewers, it’s easy to integrate this watch with an iPhone and other Apple products, and it’s also simple to install apps on it.
A point of pain:
- Some reviewers noted that the battery life of the watch was short, and said that they usually only got one day or just less than that out of a full charge. Of course, battery life depends on how you use your watch, so not all users will experience this.
|Category||Smart Watches / Fitness Trackers||Smart Watches / Fitness Trackers|
|Connectivity||Bluetooth, GPS and Wi-Fi||4G, Bluetooth, GPS and Wi-Fi|
|Sensors||Accelerometer, Altimeter, Barometer, Compass, Gyro Sensor, Heart Rate Sensor and Light Sensor||Accelerometer, Altimeter, Barometer, Compass, Gyro Sensor, Heart Rate Sensor and Light Sensor|
|Waterproofing||Water Resistant||Water Resistant|
|Memory (RAM)||32 GB||32 GB|
|Manufacturer Warranty||1 year(s)||1 year(s)|
|Construction Material||Ceramic||Aluminium, Ceramic and Stainless Steel|
|Colour / Finish||Silver, Space Grey, Gold||Silver, Space Grey, Gold, Stainless Steel, Space Black, White|
|Replaced by||Apple Watch Series 6||Apple Watch Series 6|
- GTIN12: 190199278912 and 190199282391
- Apple Watch Series 5 40mm Cellular Gold - (Excellent Conditon)
- Apple Watch Series 5 GPS + Cellular 44mm Nike Aluminium Black - Good
- Apple Watch Series 5 (Gold Aluminum, 44mm, Pink Sand Sport Band, GPS Only) - Afterpay & Zippay Available
- Apple Watch Series 5 GPS + Cellular 44mm Nike Aluminium Black - Excellent
- Apple Watch 44mm S5 (Cellular) - Silver Al Case w/ White Sport Band
- Apple Watch Series 5 44mm (GPS+Cellular) AU stock - Space Grey
- Apple Watch Series 5 44mm (GPS+Cellular) AU stock - White
- Apple Watch Series 5 Nike GPS+Cellular 40mm Silver Case Platinum Black Nike Sport Band
Other Smart Watches / Fitness Trackers
ProductReview.com.au has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence our content moderation policies in any way, though ProductReview.com.au may earn commissions for products/services purchased via affiliate links.