Apricus Solar Hot Water System

Apricus Solar Hot Water System Questions & Answers (page 2 of 3)

315ltr Tank, 250ltr Tank, 400ltr Tank

52 questions from our users

RPG
RPGasked
315ltr Tank

Why was my review, submitted yesterday, Monday 8th Dec. 2019, on the ability to ascertain whether copper tubes have failed or not rejected? The review was constructive and not over critical, If Apricus are to continue in the market place then they need to be more proactive.
RPG

Apricus Product SupportApricus

the review submitted had not yet been replied too, however, was not rejected and still showing under your original post. It has been duly answered.

Matt C
Matt Casked

Hi there,

Quick question with rough costing for the system. I know the system for a 30 tube electric boosted is around 4K, but what you expect the install cost in a new house to be?

Jim

You can forget about the warranty after installation as anything related or not can and will void it. Dont anticipate your calls to be returned. Buy something else.... Don't believe the hype the salesman comes up with.

Hello Matt C
Please lodge a request for quote at https://apricus.com.au/request-quote/ we would be happy to answer you directly.

Suzie Aasked
315ltr Tank

Water is going cold overnight. If we don’t use the booster we have tepid showers. Yesterday was a warm sunny day temperature today in holding tank is 27degrees?

Phil
Phil

Is the pump functioning to push water up to the roof? I have three of these. Also is the controller still functioning. I had one of those replaced

Suzie A

Hello Phil, How do I ascertain that the pump is working? The controller has digital display so I assume it is working.
How do I tell? Sorry but not very tech or mechanically savvy.

Apricus Product SupportApricus

Hi Suzie, we would be happy to assist you with troubleshooting. Please can you call Apricus Customer Service on 1300 277 428 for assistance.

John T.
John T.asked
Solar Hot Water System

13 years old 30 tube system with 315 l Everlast tank. Solar performance of system has degraded after 3 years. Everlast stainless tank still okay but recommended replacement thermostats don't allow boosted water to get above 40 degrees C. Seems to be a thermostat related problem. Tempering valve is set for maximum temperature. Need a competent solar review of my system. Country Victoria. System was brilliant for first few years but only provides warm water now. John Taylor. Please Contact for advice.

Brian S.Apricus

John, thanks for reaching out to us. I'll need you to give us a call at 1300 277 428 on Monday and we can get you sorted!

Leesa
Leesaasked
Solar Hot Water System

booster doesn't seem to be kicking in what could be the problem?

Brian S.Apricus

Hey Leesa, please hop onto our website https://apricus.com.au to put in a support request. One of our staff from the customer service team will be more than happy to give you a hand!

Brendan K.
Brendan K.

The elements in the heater sometimes degrade and crack. They are not that expensive and a replacement should solve the problem

Jayne
Jayneasked
Solar Hot Water System

Can one turn the mains water off for approx. 4 weeks, and leave unattended, without risk to Apricus solar hws?

Karlo
Karlo

That's a good question i don't know? i guess the main concern is that the tubes dont get too hot?

G. Hi

Yes you can but best to just leave it on as it wont hurt. Make sure you turn washing machine and dishwasher taps off though> We have never turned ours off for our 9 week holidays

Geoff b
Geoff basked
315ltr Tank

Solid clunk in pipes it clunks three times in succession sounds like someone driving in a steel post?

Geronimo

kno Don't know if my answer went to you or not. Please tell me,I'll answer it again if no.

G. Hi

You have water hammer so get plumber to fit a water hammer arrestor in the pipes

Rod B
Rod Basked
315ltr Tank

315 l 30 tube system installed in Toowoomba.this morning I noticed leakage from the bottom left of the collector. Estimate a few litres/hour. Is this just a coupling that was not properly torqued, or failure of a seal/ Oring?

Jasmine B
Jasmine Basked
315ltr Tank

I have a apricus 315l tank. It was installed in 2017....its installed in my garrage under the hoyse. I notice a lot of water leak which wets a quarter of my garrage floor....is this normal?...what could be wrong?

Ferret
Ferretasked
315ltr Tank

Tempering valve is it adjustable summer to winter?

Ian
Ianasked

I am in the New England area on the slopes
I had my 30 tube system installed in 10/09, I say it is a good system when it is working, But in that time i have dad to replace the pump and controller 3 sensors to top manifold 2 sensors to the bottom tank. Now the top sensor has failed again and the with the extremely cold change we had last weekend the manifold has been damaged by frost because of the sensor falling. So new sensors have been installed but now the controller keeps throwing the elcb out. If either sensors are removed the circuit doesn't throw out, so the fault now is in the controller so another new controller required.
So all up in parts alone in 9 years almost $900 and now due for another controller another $320.Plus the manifold.
Is this normal? .Or have I just had a bad trot ?
Ross

Jim

I have had same issues with mine in hobart pump number three in 7 years they seem fragile and i always have trouble getting some one to fix so apricus needs to sort out there after sale service

Breeny
Breenyasked
315ltr Tank

My 30 tube system is not heating, i only get hot water if the over ride power switch is on at night.
I tested the cycle pump for 240 power it ok but i don't think the pump is working certainly doesn't seem like it.
The led light pump power light is on showing it is pumping but it can't be. Should get a new pump or check for something else first.
The plumber has bled the air from the line last week on the roof but still no hot water at the end of the day. Any ideas? Live in SE Qld.

Lemon

I'm no plumber Do you have ants when it's cold they like warm on the side of water tank sensor shorting circut my plumber cleaned and puffed a little baby powder anound ants do like it. If your panel shows SSD instead of temp more than likely pump.

Louise

You should be able to hear the pump cycling. Stand outside the heating system and see if you can hear it. When it does cycle the float value which is yellow and has some kind of spring in it rises to the top. When the pump is off it sits on the bottom. It cycles all day. Last cycle will be when theres not sun.You can also see the temp of the water by taking the cover off the box. This is helpful as it shows what temp the water is. Press the plus sign to record the temps. One temp is whats cycling through, one temp is the heat on the tubes and one temp is what the temp of the water is.If you have any further questions Ill go and tell you exactly what the readings mean by having a look at ours. You should have hot water all year round in QLD. Have you called Apricus? Forget the plumber go straight to the company.
How old is the system?

alf
alfasked
315ltr Tank

what is the price on these systems?

Louise

Ours was over $6000 then we got a $2000 rebate. We worked out that after 5 yrs of using this system that this would be the breaking point if we had converted to gas hot water heating. Almost at the 3 year mark.

Lemon

I cannot remember do some research on line. Sorry

Paula
Paulaasked
Solar Hot Water System

I don't think my solar is being heated by the sun and its never been heated by the sun, if i turn off the electric booster even in summer there is no hot water, i need the electric booster on all the time to get any hot water. l live in WA.
Can any body help to fix this problem? Paula 9/07/218

Stuart
Stuartasked
315ltr Tank

We have a 315L Apricus Solar cylinder - 30 evac tubes on roof - with electric backup which is always turned on. System is approx 2 years old. About 4 months ago the length of time of hot water started to reduce and over a 4 week period to mid May averaged 31 minutes per morning then water started to cool. Today (2 weeks later) we are down to only 18 minutes of hot water before water starts to cool. We are in Tasmania so we expect the electric booster to be on most days and nights. Even so 18 minutes of hot water at 6:30am is not very good.

Any suggestions?

Stuart

Louise

Hi Stuart sorry for delay we are in sunny Darwin where the Apricus system would work a dream!!! Sounds like your thermostat has gone. Ours did this. System was 2.5 years old. We had it replaced by electrician $150. All back on track now. Could I ask what your electricity bill is with having your system on all day. We are trialling this to compare it against boosting 2 hrs every day. Louise

Tony Stevels
Tony Stevelsasked
315ltr Tank

How does one adjust the water temperature on a Apricus 30 tube 315ltr HW system please? Tony F.

lucia
lucia

What do you mean by adjusting the water temperature? Our programe was adjusted by an Apricus installer and a regulator was installed by them as well . Our water is quite hot still as the weather has been very warm here during the day and the sensor and gas does not need to be on . I was advised that winter will be the time that the gas will kick in but it is still very cheap hot water. We have had this system for over a year 1 to 2 people using the hot water and still using the same Gas bottle! I would say thats very economical ! If your having a problem get in touch with Apricus they were extremely helpful and fixed all our problems with their own Installer
Regards Lucia.

Billy
Billy

Hi Tony

The maximum temperature permitted at your Bathroom fixtures is no greater than 50 degrees Celsius but no such restriction at the Kitchen and Laundry tub - as per the Plumbing Code. If you are experiencing temperatures below that then the most likely cause would be that the Tempering Valve (temp control valve) is either faulty or just needs a slight adjustment, it is very unlikely but low hot water temperatures could be VERY dangerous and you should get the issue addressed immediately - same applies to any hot water system. Feel free to call us and we can talk you through some simple troubleshooting steps and there's a good chance we can diagnose it over the phone.

steve P
steve Pasked
315ltr Tank

We went away on holiday for 14days over summer and it appears our Apricus hot water system has dumped over 300,000Lts of water through the Expansion valve on the cold side of the storage tank, as my water bill came just after returning home showing the usage for each month. Question is ,does the system have a HOLIDAY mode to stop it making hot water and therefore no Pressure to activate the Expansion valve, or can I simply turn the cold water OFF when im away to stop the system using water, or can I turn OFF the controller to stop it transferring water to the collector . In doing any of these am I risking the collector ? thanks

Luke M.Apricus

Hello Steve,

I am from Apricus and my Product development manager has advised of his view on your situation below.

We do not supply these expansion valves with our systems and they are bought and fitted by plumbers as part of the installation materials.
The valve may have failed but to expel that amount of water it would need to be running 15 litres per minute 24/7 for the 14 day period.
There would be flooding in the yard if running on the ground.
You would need to contact valve supplier/installer if the valve we did not supply is leaking to this extent.

If you go on holiday the system will still be fine as plenty of our clients would do this. You do not need to shut anything off.

I hope that answers your question.

Kind Regards,
Luke McKay
Customer Service Manager
Apricus Australia

mark
markasked
315ltr Tank

My question is WHEN do you know its on boost or solar, I would like to see a light or something as I have know idea if it is running on solar or not , ???

G. Hi

The best way to wire them up is to install a switch in the power line to the booster and you can turn it off except when you need it. IN Qld that is only after 2 dull days on our unit I also installed a thermometer in the spare outlet in the top of my 250 L tank and so knew the temp of the water we would be using Only cost $14 on Ebay worked a treat The thermostat is supposed to be set at 60C so the solar normally would have it a lot hotter than that. Depending on the controller you should be able to tell the tank temp from the readout on that.

Liz
Lizasked
Solar Hot Water System

How can i check for problems? It seems the solar is not heating water. Have been using booster in cold weather, last 2 days hot & sunny and the hot water is cold. Not happy unit only 2 years old.
Thanks for any help, Liz

G. Hi

Get your tempering valve checked and also the little one way vale in the line above the pump Can get calcified and allow backfeeding overnight That valve is $13 at Bunnings Tempering valves ( The bit with the orange cap on it) are about $140

Jacqui B
Jacqui B

Constant dripping from.shower head and/or bath spout when the taps are turned off. This has only happened since we've had building renovations and plumbing to an extra area of our house, all of which would have necessitates the plumber having water turned off and on several times. Dripping noise is irritating - windering if it is a pressure problem and how to rectify please

PatBasked
315ltr Tank

We have 30 tube system and the manifold has had a fault and was replaced but can someone tell us how the plumber can extract the collector rods/ heat pipes out of the manifold without braking them?

GrahamT
GrahamT

The authorized service plumber changed ours over and managed any issues directly with Apricus, it would be best to get your plumber to contact Apricus and discuss.

Many thanks Graham

Get an answer from our members and Apricus representatives

Apricus Solar Hot Water System