Arlec Rechargeable Torch and Spotlight

Arlec Rechargeable Torch and Spotlight Questions & Answers

10 questions from our users

Matthew L.

Matthew L.asked

Whst volt and amp Is the charger

9V DC 400mA
ARLEC part WJA-Y41090400D

Dr. Raghavan U.

Dr. Raghavan U.asked

I have purchased
Arlec rechargable 150 lumen led head torch. I read in 2016 review that rechargable baterries dont last. How is it now. Is it worth keeping?. How is the effectiveness of the battery. I need god white light both indoor and outdoor while working. I can still return it.

Dear Dr Raghavan,
My comments about the Arlec torch referred quite specifically to a now legacy model which was factory supplied with a rechargeable lead acid battery. The supplied battery that I received in two of those torches was not in any way satisfactory, that outcome made worse by the torch having a very powerful but power hungry halogen lamp. The output was excellent but only for a very short duration, at best around 30 minutes and the battery service life was very short tho regular charging after each use helped.
The torch to which you refer I am unfamiliar with tho the type are now very common. One can pay heavily for a good LED head torch tho I have managed to find one which in my view was a gift. Its life span with rechargeable batteries has been excellent and the light output superb. I suggest that your best option is to see if you can get a consensus of opinion via an internet search for several reviews of the particular head torch to which you refer. My very cheap head torch has removable rechargeable batteries and I opt for the best type available.

Jan C.

Jan C.asked

Can I buy a rechargeable AT0042 battery?

Walterk

I don't know. The following reply some time ago to similar question may help.
2 years ago

August 7 2016 I purchased a Brand New 6V 4.0AH Razorback AGM Rechargeable battery 6volt 4ah Toy Electric* from Zap Industries Australia P/L www.razorbackdc.com.au for $16.00 including postage

Darren W.

Darren W.asked

What voltage is charger for RT500 series 4

Walterk

The original charger is rated 9volt DC 400ma.

9v DC 400 mA

Janice B.

Janice B.asked

where on the torch is the connection for the usb charger

Walterk

The torch I reviewed several years ago was not rechargeable by USB. It was supplied with a 12 volt purpose made charger. That charger was also not especially advanced; it had no indicator light or obvious auto cutout when the battery had reached its optimum charge. About as useless as the rest of the torch, certainly by current expectations. I would assume that it is obsolete now. Cared for meticulously, not over charged and re-charged regularly, used or not, it is serviceable but only for relatively short periods, maybe 15 to 20 minutes before the battery starts to run out.

William B.

William B.asked

I got an ARLEC AT0075 500 lumen utility light at Bunnings in Melboune and would like to buy another one?

Jason K.
Jason K.

Hi William, were you able to find another one of the arlec AT0075?

Sheyasked

My ARLEC at0042 series 2 has just stop working. Any ideas why this might of happen & how I can fix it please

Walterk

That is a very open question!
Solutions vary from a failed globe through mechanical failure of switches, plugs, and internal wiring or charger to the battery no longer holding a charge. The sealed lead acid battery has to be routinely re-charged, it is the single most serious issue in my opinion, with this torch. The second is that the lamp draws a lot of current and generates a lot heat which is wasted energy.. Modern LED lamps dont draw any where near as much energy but cant be fitted to this torch without some considerable technical know how. This dated form of lamping draws relatively speaking, a lot of energy out of the battery so that its working life during use is relatively short and, if not promptly recharged after use, soon degrades the battery.

We have replaced the battery with a new one from a reputable specialist and now recharge routinely every five or six weeks used or not. We also dont use it for extended time , only for spotlight service. This has solved the battery failure issue but rendered the torch useless for anything more than around ten minute service. There is also no charging light so one has to guess when to remove from the charger. We do an overnight charge. Too long on the charger is also not good for the battery I believe. Also, there is no automatic cut out when fully charged. I dont know if all of this is of any help, but is the best I can offer.

Shey

Thank you. I got the problem solved.

Anton B.
Anton B.

Pretty sure walturkey was not talking about the type of torch which shey was complaining about. Generally though if your AT0042 has stopped functioning and you are of average smarts, I assume therefore you'd charged the torch for a bit. It's pretty tough little torch so I'm thinking it's the old rear cap screw not quite tight enough/and all the black really does disguise this situation, if the case. Keep tight and it's waterproofing works better. Failing that, get another battery of correct spec and bob arlec will be lumen large, but you solved it anyway!!! How? May I ask?
And I'm sure this is all pointless (my responding) but If you happen to read this 2day only 1/2 a year later... I'd love to know your batterys' (id) colour, model,spec details etc.
I found an at0042 a couple of days ago and I'm not too sure... anyway thanx 4 your correspondence guys. I'll go figure out the answer to my trivial query now.
PEACE and love to all the selfless humans out there!!. The rest... meh..

Norm Hansen

Norm Hansenasked

Where Can I get the bulb housing the reflective len for a model RT500 Series 4 mine has gone brown?

Bones

Sorry don’t know - contact Arlec?

Walterk

Sadly I haven't any idea. My approach would be to look for somebody, probably a disillusioned owner of the same model, and see if they will give/sell it to you for spare parts or. maybe an ad in Gumtree or similar?
There are so many fantastic high powered LED torches on the market these days that are better that its really not worth too much fuss trying to keep an old RT500 alive unless, like me, you are a hopeless diy 'fiddler' and do it just to prove you can.

haggs123asked

I have an Arlec torch/spotlight model RT 500. Where can I get a replacement battery?

Walterk

There are no doubt several suppliers and it depends upon your geographic location. Mail delivery no doubt also an option. We use http://www.everybattery.com.au/.
Hope this helps.

haggs123

I will check them out...tks.

Joanne

Joanneasked

The on off switch has broken in the first couple of uses. Can you get replacement part.

Walterk

I am not a specialist, just a very handy DIY person. My immediate thought is, no I doubt it. I think this torch is no longer in production. First approach would be to get back to the people who sold the item. Second would be to try and contact an Arlec distributor to source a replacement part but I would not hold out much hope. Third, find a good handyman who can repair, assuming the fault is not terminal. It would also be possible to replace the switch with another one of different make but again, this is the province of the competent DIY person who can source such an item. There are numerous small low voltage switches in the vintage wireless and automotive world for example which would work as an alternative..