Asko D5456SS / D5456WH

Asko D5456SS / D5456WH

D5456SS (Stainless) and D5456WH (White)

Works at night, but not during the day...

This dishwasher did not work properly from Day 1. When we set it and went out it was still going 6 hours later when we got home, just kept resetting, cycle stopped after a few minutes and it would start all over again, the water never emptied. The only way to stop it was to turn it off. Asko sent a technician who advised that sometimes this model is affected by other Panasonic household products, and solar power. He replaced the powerboard. We still had the same problem - the power board was replaced again. This did not fix the problem and we asked Asko to remove the dishwasher and give us a refund, which they did. It took 5 months to sort it out though.
We believe it was the solar panels on our roof that affected the dishwasher because it would work at night-time with no problem when we weren't using solar power but wouldn't work properly during daylight hours.
When it did work it washed the dishes perfectly, no problems there. It was a bit noisy. However, there is no point having a dishwasher that is not compatible with other household items, especially solar panels on the roof!
Asko should discontinue this model of dishwasher.

Purchased for $1,559.00.

Noise Level

It been a great unit

Unit won't start, program button work but won't turn on, tried turning system off and restacking the dishes changing the settings the system will not start. Not even a pre wash.
Has anyone had this problem before or know how to fix this.
Frustrating when it looks like it's just the start button

Date PurchasedJul 2016

Very ordinary but comparatively expensive

Just purchased, just installed and replaces a Fisher and Paykel Dishdrawer. The F&P had given good service for nearly 10 years but just too expensive to repair. Went looking for a quality replacement and selected the ASKO sight unseen (Asko control the whole sale process and they only allocate certain models to the stores. That should have raised alarm bells.
Dishwasher arrived ($1299 marked down by Asko from $1699) and I expected a good quality well-made machine. The actual manufacture and finish seems ok but the actual use of metals, the wire baskets - you name it - not a patch on the F&P model which simply oozed quality.
It takes a good deal longer to cycle on a normal wash (2h35m compared to 1h54m and it does not / cannot clean the items in the uppermost slide out tray. The dishes on the big size upper basket block the cutlery and small stuff you put in the slide out tray.
I made a mistake not installing a new F&P so I will just have to live with that.
I was influenced by an Asko I once owned many years ago but it is clear they are saving everything they can in these modern day products. If I had actually been able to see this machine in store prior to buying I know I would not have purchased it.
I rated it 3 stars from 5 but it really should have been no higher than 2.5 stars.

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Asko build a quality product

My first dishwasher, a basic, Asko built in dishwasher was in daily use for 17 years. This year it was replaced with a new stainless steel model. The new dishwasher again an Asko, has a separate cutlery tray which allows for greater storage in the lower baskets.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Great layout and thorough clean

I’m really pleased with my Asko dishwasher. It does a much more thorough job of cleaning dishes than my previous cheapie model, and takes care of stuck on patches of food. I’ve never had any experience with it getting clogged, however I do five dishes a rinse before putting them in. This dishwasher feels quite premium and is much nicer to use than a cheap one. The layout is pretty smart and fits a lot more dishes in one load than my previous dishwasher. This is actually the second time I’ve bought this model - once of my old house and now for my new house.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Great dishwasher!

This dishwasher is great! Things come out so clean. We do make sure we clean the filter regularly though. It has heat sensitive buttons which can be a bit temperamental at time but you give them a wipe and they’re fine. It fits a lot of dishes, has a knife holder, wine stem holders, cutlery divider,

Date PurchasedApr 2013

Terrible customer service!

Machine had been working fine until last night when error f10 appeared on the front panel screen.

The instruction manual wasn't very helpful so I called Asko customer care line to get guidance as to what I should do next - I was rudely questioned and was told it was strange why I couldn't remember the exact date of purchase and why I couldn't remember what name (mine, my partners or my mum's) it was under at the store of purchase. I was expected to have this all committed to memory. I am extremely displeased with the insinuation I was trying to be fraudulent.

I was also told that I should be looking at the manual to fix my problem, i.e. not calling them.

The most terrible, unhelpful and rude customer service I have ever received.

My expectation is that if I pay a premium price for something, it should work for longer and better (it really is on par with most cheaper models in terms of how well it cleans and dries) than lesser price products and the customer service should be excellent. I now wish I bought a cheaper product which could do the same thing.

I will not be buying any Asko product again and will make an effort to tell others not to as well because if this is the kind of service that is given, then I would like to save others from the same horrible experience.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Really crappy touchpad

We have a D5456. The touch pad has already been replaced once under warranty. In fact the entire door had to be replaced by the technician, as evidently there is no practical way to fix the touchpad itself. Now we are coming up to the dishwasher being 3 years old and the exact same thing has happened... some buttons on the touchpad work intermittent but mostly can't start the washing cycle or change the programs which is very annoying.

We have an extended warranty so hopefully we can get this fixed, or rather get a refund for the dishwasher. The service people on the support line aren't very helpful with this as apparently the extended warranty has nothing to do with them (apparently have to call some third party number for support when I find some time to chase it up again during business hours).

Is pretty hard to believe in the quality of the design or manufacturing for Asko brand products. You would figure that paying a premium price would get you a premium product, but you'd be wrong.

Date PurchasedMar 2016
I feel like I should update this review a little. All of the above is true, however after the touchpad replacement (second time around) the dishwasher has been working well without a problem. The same technician attended to perform the touchpad replacement as the first time around and he is a very friendly and knowledgable guy. Very easy to deal with and excellent in-person customer service. We chatted a little about the upgrades to the touchpad over the years and it seems that Asko is on the right track fixing the bugs in each new version. (I believe we now have version 3 of the touchpad that goes with our dishwasher). The extended warranty support area were very helpful and have no complaints there. It's a shame I had a bad experience with the main Asko support area, not being very helpful. Why there are two support areas instead of one integrated helpful customer-friendly support line beats me. All up with the extended warranty still giving many more months of coverage, and a decent local technician I feel pretty good about the dishwasher at the moment. Not every load comes out perfectly clean, but it's probably about as good as you'll get from most reasonable dishwashers. Would definitely recommend the extended warranty for 'peace of mind' if you buy this dishwasher, but is always a real pain in the butt when you have a fully loaded dishwasher ready to go but the damn thing doesn't switch on.

Stiff cutlery drawer

First used June 2017 - cutlery drawer was stiff to move in and out. Bought ASKO for this cutlery feature so I wouldn’t have to lift a heavy cutlery basket, due to back surgery. We persisted using the machine, but finally organised a service call at the beginning of 2018 to rectify this problem. He readjusted the cutlery rails. However, it is still an issue and is not satisfactory. Also our control panel has an intermittent cycling and the top drawer gets stuck. Help needed!

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Worst dishwasher I have had . It is the fifth dishwasher I have purchased since the late 1960s

the dishes come out very wet but clean enough , it is quiet , slow and difficult to load as the interior is dark grey . The cutlery box is small and keeps falling to bits and does not hold enough for a family of four people so is always over full and each piece needs to be inspected and hand dried.First time I have actively hated a dishwasher .It does not have a favourite feature-

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Fantastic choice!

We renovated and spent a long time researching appliances through online reviews, friends recommendations and store recommendations. We have had the dishwasher now for 9 months and incredibly happy with it. Dishes are spotless, the white finish looks seamless with our cabinetry without having to pay additional for integrated unit. Cycle does take a while (2 hours 20) but is very quiet. Best feature is the cutlery drawer, so easy to load and unload.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Excellent Dishwasher, super quiet and is the best dishwasher I have ever had

We had previously had a BOSCH and LG Dishwasher which were both noisey. We wanted a quiet dishwasher and was are extremely happy with choosing the ASKO dishwasher. It can’t believe how well it cleans my dishes. It holds heaps of dishes and is so quiet you sometimes don’t even know it is running. It also dries all plastics. Highly recommend. You even get free delivery. Definately worth spending the extra money. You get what you pay for!

Date PurchasedMay 2018

More instructions needed

Bought a brand new dishwasher, we used it twice and in a month we had a power surge, the dishwasher couldn’t function. We switched off at the main and back on again it didn’t work. Read the manual and we couldn’t find anything to work it out. We were getting frustrated as we had a big load to wash after a dinner party. Then rang the manufacturer and a technician came out. The problem was that when a power surge happens the plug need to be unplugged from the wall and replugged for it to work. Made us look stupid.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

A disappointment for such an up market price machine.

My dishwasher was purchased in December 2014. It has an intermittent fault that has had the technician to it several times both within and after the warranty period, but seems to have settled now. My main problem is the configuration of the top shelf. If anything should move on the top shelf the detergent dispenser will not open properly and much residue is left in the machine. I notice that the configuration of the shelving in the later models is designed so that this inadvertent problem probably does not happen. A much more solid barrier. I have not seen such configuration of the top shelf in other comparable machines and I believe that is a very bad design fault. Also the machine does not dry anything plastic. It was a pricey purchase and does not live up to expectations sadly. Both customer service at Asko and the retailer where this was purchased are aware of my dissatisfaction with this machine.

Date PurchasedDec 2014

Good product

Excellent cleaning and drying. Simple to use. Quiet running except when it changes actions and you hear quite a loud mechanical sound. This happens quite often and is a bit startling. Looks great with sleek lines and the interior is stainless as well. Racks are good and offer a variety stacking options.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

So sorry to say not great

From date it was not the best performing dishwasher I've ever had sorry to say about this one but I was not happy. Doesn't matter what kind of pods you chose for it or different sending she said it seem to clean it all the same and then it had a common issue which I found on YouTube where it cluggs away and further investigation lead to water in the Electrics which is dangerous so the whole thing has been removed and discarded of now.

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Overpriced very ordinary!!!

Dishes don't clean particularly well is a noisy unit supposed efficient drying system is rubbish everything comes out wet including stainless steel milk jug. Had a cheap Bosch unit that was a far superior machine and a lot quieter. Don't believe the yarns spun by salesperson and the no flex door.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

BUYER BEWARE - Broke after 7 months - ASKO after sales service arrogant & dismissive - disappointing

At $1600...We were sold this dishwasher on the basis of the Harvey Norman salesman telling us all about the excellent quality of ASKO products but more importantly ASKO's professional after sales service for their PREMIUM-end products. So far our dishwasher has washed beautifully and we have been very happy with it for the first seven months of owning it. Then it broke.....only something minor - the clip on the detergent dispenser drawer...that's when the problems began. Harvey Norman very promptly reported the warranty claim to ASKO for me, and were initially very helpful...the same cannot be said of the ASKO 'customer service' centre. I dared to politely ask the repairer if he could kindly send me a text message, or give me a call when he was on his way to my place, as I work just around the corner (2kms away) and can come straight home for him to attend - any day, any time. I may as well have been asking him to cut off his left arm...he was not prepared to do this, gave me a spiel about how busy and important he is - and could only confirm that he will arrive sometime between 10 and 11, but definitely before 12... This attitude does not reflect at all positively on the ASKO brand and I don't believe it is too much to ask for the courtesy of a quick text message to let me know you are coming. However, what was
more disappointing was the response from the ASKO 'customer service' centre. I relayed my experience with the local service agent and they really couldn't have cared less and then proceeded to lecture me about the expectation of a courtesy text message prior to attending as being unrealistic in Darwin (a capital city of Australia mind you!)...and that no one in a MAJOR city like Sydney where he lives ever expects such courtesy from a repairer! He advised that none of the ASKO service agents are expected to treat their customers with this basic level of courtesy. Eventually ASKO agreed to allocate another local service agent...giving me a curt warning that they hope this will work out because "that's your last option." Fortunately, the new service agent contacted me promptly, was very polite and doesn't have any issue with giving me the courtesy of a text message half an hour before they attend my home.
Overall, such a disappointing experience from what is supposed to be a premium brand, for a minor maintenance issue, and a whole lot of drama and disrespect to me, the customer. I may as well have bought a cheap brand and saved myself $1000. ASKO would be wise to pay closer scrutiny to the local service agents they use, who are representative of their brand, and take their customer's complaints and concerns seriously, rather than being dismissive of my issue. I certainly now know which appliance brand I will not be buying for my upcoming kitchen renovation.
ADDENDUM: Turns out it wasn't so simple to get my dishwasher fixed and the blame game began by both Harvey Norman and ASKO. When the ASKO appointed technician turned up and 'fixed' my dishwasher, he also managed to unbeknownst to me at the time of 'repair' - incorrectly put the dishwasher door back together. This then resulted in water escaping from the dishwasher and getting into the door, electronic display and also came pouring out of the dishwasher. He returned a second time and still could't fix the door, so I was left with a dishwasher that couldn't be used, water damage and most likely water damage inside the door, electronics etc. So what should have been a simple fix to the broken clip on the detergent dispenser drawer ended up turning into a month long battle with one juvenile 'manager' at Harvey Norman Darwin who was more interested in blaming the customer, abusing me and making unfounded accusations rather than getting my dishwasher fixed, or replacing it with an undamaged one! I was accused by both Harvey Norman and ASKO of "damaging the dishwasher door when you installed it" !!!! Trying to then get the dishwasher restored to original (pre ASKO 'repair') condition - ie only 7 months old and working, except for the dodgy dispenser clip was an unacceptable, stressful, time consuming and totally unnecessary battle, particularly with Harvey Norman Darwin who were more interested in spouting what i 'wasn't' going to get, point blank refusing to escalate my issue to staff that could actually make a decision and avoiding my phone calls. Some 8 weeks later I now have a 9 month old dishwasher that currently works, but has a door that it hard to close, has scratches from being 'repaired' and having the front pulled off 3 times, has water damage/discolouration to the top panel from the water escaping and unknown water damage to the electronics inside the door...will this dishwasher now have an acceptable life span after water ingress to the electronics - who knows? - Harvey Norman Darwin and ASKO appliance certainly couldn't care less. Buyer beware.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

It broke just out of warranty due to humidity

Not to bad of a dishwasher but it broke just out of 2 year warranty. It won’t work when the humidity it up or if it’s raining. Which is just awesome in Australia.

Date PurchasedMay 2015

Don't waste your money

Just don't do it I would not recommend anyone buy anything like this, got told it was excellent quality just as good as a German dishwasher, excellent drying and its better than a $700 dishwasher. Does not wash hot enough, does not dry well, does not do what a $1599 dishwasher should.

Plates are still wet unless I use the intensive wash, max temperature is only 60 degrees and doesn't get hot enough to dry plastic. I paid $1000 for a brand name, don't waste your money on it.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

ASKO D5456 XL DISHWASHER TOP ARM REMOVAL (Cutlery Tray) Instruction book says to push arm up and anti clockwise. This does not seem to do anything and arm does not unscrew or release. Have tried with pressure and without. Any ideas? Thanks
Hi Mark. Never encountered this. Went and tried to remove the arm per instructions but it is clear the instructions are wrong. I can feel the mechanism trying to engage when pushed up and turned anticlockwise, but it simply wont engage and allow the removal. Suggest a query to Asko Technical Department.Thanks Chris, yes same experienceRang Asko Service, no further enlightenment on what the manual says. But it doesn't work!!! Frustrating.

Hi. We have Asko D5456 dishwasher, new purchase. Has been great until tonight - lights turn on & able to select program however when I press start button, nothing happens. Have held button down for a few seconds & nothing. Also tried to deactivate child lock - not that it was ever set. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I think turn the power off at the mains and remove the plug. Wait at least 10 secs. But before you do this ensure you have turned the dishwasher off at its own power switch on top of the door. I think when you reconnect the power and switch it on it will have reset to the "ready to go" position. I had a similar problem but I will say I have also started changing my mind about the dishwasher. It is not as bad as I first thought and it is probably a good competent machine. I still prefer the F&P dishdrawer but I suspect qualfty with manufacture in Thailand under the Chinese owners, Haier is not good. I am currently designing a new home and specifying 2 x Bosch waist height drawer washers. They are expensive (and made in China) but I think the quality and reliability is there. Our needs are primarily for 2 adults (kids gone). Hope that is helpful Regards ChrisThanks Chris. Turns out it was a faulty control panel on the machine. Asko are replacing.

How do you reset the dishwasher? The water was accidentally turned off it makes a noise but no water or anything now

D5456SS (Stainless)D5456WH (White)