Asko D5456SS / D5456WH

Asko D5456SS / D5456WH

D5456SS (Stainless Steel) and D5456WH (White)

See the Best Built-in Dishwashers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Worst dishwasher I’ve ever used

I purchased this $1700 or so dishwasher from Harvey Norman this year (2019). It literally leaves speckles of grime and dirt on every plate, cup etc. I’ve tried running dishwasher cleaning solutions, pre washing everything, different tablets etc. I’ve called customer service and no one got back to me. I’m currently trying to get a refund!

Purchased in April 2019 at Harvey Norman for $1,700.00.

Never again

Have stupidly installed 2 of these machines. The first lasted 8 years, we only fitted the second because of ease of fitting into our custom made kitchen. The second has given up after less than 5 years of very little use. Never again, expensive to purchase, expensive to repair. Will never again purchase an ASKO product.

Purchased in September 2014 at Harvey Norman for $1,599.00.

Great dishwasher

We replaced our old bad, leaky dishwasher with an Asko, after hearing a lot of positive things about these dishwashers from friends and other people. We spent a little more than what we set out to spend on a new dishwasher but so far we are very happy.
The Asko has a primarily stainless steel interior, drum and wash jets as opposed to the other dishwashers that use a lot of plastic, the stainless steel was a big plus from a hygiene point of view and the mechanisms also felt sturdier when we pulled out the dish trays and opened and closed the door compared to the other machines we were looking at!
A month in and it washes beautifully, I have so far not found any food left on dishes even those with oven baked food on them. It has its own preset wash times, the shortest being 2.35 hours or you can set your own anywhere from a 15 minute cycle, I have found that a 60 or 90 minute wash cycle will wash a full dishwasher load perfectly and all my items even my plastic utensils and tubs come out nice and clean and dry. The machine is reasonably quiet, our family room is right next to the kitchen and I can easily run a load without really noticing it is on! I am very happy with this dishwasher and think it is great value for the money spent, I would happily recommend it to family and friends!

Purchased in July 2019 at The Good Guys for $1,599.00.

Spacious dishwasher

I had never heard of Asko before I started to look for a new dishwasher. The Good Guys salesman raved about it then I went and did my own research . I wanted a cutlery shelf and dishwasher big enough for some pots and pans with dishes. Eventually I bought it...I love the cutlery drawer, the fan that dries the dishes, the number of spaying arms and position that allow lots of space for dishes. I love the solid feel of the machine and the drawers inside too. It has lots of programs to choose from and is very quiet. The good things is that it is also water and energy efficient.
So far I have no regrets.

Purchased in June 2019 at The Good Guys Online store for $1,200.00.

Internal Layout

Expensive but you get what you pay for

We have had this machine for about 2 years and so far so good. This is a versatile dishwasher that has plenty of jets and the third tray for cutlery is brilliant. The only downfall is the touch pad looks great but is sometimes not responsive and you have to press the buttons several times before they register. Also the child lock doesn’t work. Apart from those issues this is a great dishwasher that washes the dishes very well and you can fit a lot in it

Purchased in July 2017 at The Good Guys for $1,499.00.

Noise Level

Absolutely shocking product and customer service

I reported a fault in April (broken hose) and I am still waiting three months later to have it repaired. It was under warranty when I reported the problem but it is no longer. They are claiming that I am lucky to be getting a "goodwill" service! The first "gentleman" I spoke to at customer service was very rude and condescending. As I tried to describe the problem he spoke over me, man-splained and implied that I was somehow at fault. This is the second time in two years that I have had to have it repaired.

Purchased in April 2017.

Very good

Replaced our 12 year old BOSCH with this dishwasher. Washes dishes very well and is super quiet but have to run extra drying and water temp cycle to dry the dishes which means a cycle of 3 hours - our BOSCH did not need this. Racks are positioned well and the very top cutlery basket is great for utensils. The cutlery basket lid does not stay on and does not fit a lot of our cutlery handles so dispensed with it - working well without it! Generally happy with this dishwasher.

Purchased in May 2019.

Works at night, but not during the day...

This dishwasher did not work properly from Day 1. When we set it and went out it was still going 6 hours later when we got home, just kept resetting, cycle stopped after a few minutes and it would start all over again, the water never emptied. The only way to stop it was to turn it off. Asko sent a technician who advised that sometimes this model is affected by other Panasonic household products, and solar power. He replaced the powerboard. We still had the same problem - the power board was replaced again. This did not fix the problem and we asked Asko to remove the dishwasher and give us a refund, which they did. It took 5 months to sort it out though.
We believe it was the solar panels on our roof that affected the dishwasher because it would work at night-time with no problem when we weren't using solar power but wouldn't work properly during daylight hours.
When it did work it washed the dishes perfectly, no problems there. It was a bit noisy. However, there is no point having a dishwasher that is not compatible with other household items, especially solar panels on the roof!
Asko should discontinue this model of dishwasher.

Purchased in September 2018 for $1,559.00.

It been a great unit

Unit won't start, program button work but won't turn on, tried turning system off and restacking the dishes changing the settings the system will not start. Not even a pre wash.
Has anyone had this problem before or know how to fix this.
Frustrating when it looks like it's just the start button

Date PurchasedJul 2016

Very ordinary but comparatively expensive

Just purchased, just installed and replaces a Fisher and Paykel Dishdrawer. The F&P had given good service for nearly 10 years but just too expensive to repair. Went looking for a quality replacement and selected the ASKO sight unseen (Asko control the whole sale process and they only allocate certain models to the stores. That should have raised alarm bells.
Dishwasher arrived ($1299 marked down by Asko from $1699) and I expected a good quality well-made machine. The actual manufacture and finish seems ok but the actual use of metals, the wire baskets - you name it - not a patch on the F&P model which simply oozed quality.
It takes a good deal longer to cycle on a normal wash (2h35m compared to 1h54m and it does not / cannot clean the items in the uppermost slide out tray. The dishes on the big size upper basket block the cutlery and small stuff you put in the slide out tray.
I made a mistake not installing a new F&P so I will just have to live with that.
I was influenced by an Asko I once owned many years ago but it is clear they are saving everything they can in these modern day products. If I had actually been able to see this machine in store prior to buying I know I would not have purchased it.
I rated it 3 stars from 5 but it really should have been no higher than 2.5 stars.

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Asko build a quality product

My first dishwasher, a basic, Asko built in dishwasher was in daily use for 17 years. This year it was replaced with a new stainless steel model. The new dishwasher again an Asko, has a separate cutlery tray which allows for greater storage in the lower baskets.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Great layout and thorough clean

I’m really pleased with my Asko dishwasher. It does a much more thorough job of cleaning dishes than my previous cheapie model, and takes care of stuck on patches of food. I’ve never had any experience with it getting clogged, however I do five dishes a rinse before putting them in. This dishwasher feels quite premium and is much nicer to use than a cheap one. The layout is pretty smart and fits a lot more dishes in one load than my previous dishwasher. This is actually the second time I’ve bought this model - once of my old house and now for my new house.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Great dishwasher!

This dishwasher is great! Things come out so clean. We do make sure we clean the filter regularly though. It has heat sensitive buttons which can be a bit temperamental at time but you give them a wipe and they’re fine. It fits a lot of dishes, has a knife holder, wine stem holders, cutlery divider,

Date PurchasedApr 2013

Terrible customer service!

Machine had been working fine until last night when error f10 appeared on the front panel screen.

The instruction manual wasn't very helpful so I called Asko customer care line to get guidance as to what I should do next - I was rudely questioned and was told it was strange why I couldn't remember the exact date of purchase and why I couldn't remember what name (mine, my partners or my mum's) it was under at the store of purchase. I was expected to have this all committed to memory. I am extremely displeased with the insinuation I was trying to be fraudulent.

I was also told that I should be looking at the manual to fix my problem, i.e. not calling them.

The most terrible, unhelpful and rude customer service I have ever received.

My expectation is that if I pay a premium price for something, it should work for longer and better (it really is on par with most cheaper models in terms of how well it cleans and dries) than lesser price products and the customer service should be excellent. I now wish I bought a cheaper product which could do the same thing.

I will not be buying any Asko product again and will make an effort to tell others not to as well because if this is the kind of service that is given, then I would like to save others from the same horrible experience.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Really crappy touchpad

We have a D5456. The touch pad has already been replaced once under warranty. In fact the entire door had to be replaced by the technician, as evidently there is no practical way to fix the touchpad itself. Now we are coming up to the dishwasher being 3 years old and the exact same thing has happened... some buttons on the touchpad work intermittent but mostly can't start the washing cycle or change the programs which is very annoying.

We have an extended warranty so hopefully we can get this fixed, or rather get a refund for the dishwasher. The service people on the support line aren't very helpful with this as apparently the extended warranty has nothing to do with them (apparently have to call some third party number for support when I find some time to chase it up again during business hours).

Is pretty hard to believe in the quality of the design or manufacturing for Asko brand products. You would figure that paying a premium price would get you a premium product, but you'd be wrong.

Date PurchasedMar 2016
I feel like I should update this review a little. All of the above is true, however after the touchpad replacement (second time around) the dishwasher has been working well without a problem. The same technician attended to perform the touchpad replacement as the first time around and he is a very friendly and knowledgable guy. Very easy to deal with and excellent in-person customer service. We chatted a little about the upgrades to the touchpad over the years and it seems that Asko is on the right track fixing the bugs in each new version. (I believe we now have version 3 of the touchpad that goes with our dishwasher). The extended warranty support area were very helpful and have no complaints there. It's a shame I had a bad experience with the main Asko support area, not being very helpful. Why there are two support areas instead of one integrated helpful customer-friendly support line beats me. All up with the extended warranty still giving many more months of coverage, and a decent local technician I feel pretty good about the dishwasher at the moment. Not every load comes out perfectly clean, but it's probably about as good as you'll get from most reasonable dishwashers. Would definitely recommend the extended warranty for 'peace of mind' if you buy this dishwasher, but is always a real pain in the butt when you have a fully loaded dishwasher ready to go but the damn thing doesn't switch on.

Stiff cutlery drawer

First used June 2017 - cutlery drawer was stiff to move in and out. Bought ASKO for this cutlery feature so I wouldn’t have to lift a heavy cutlery basket, due to back surgery. We persisted using the machine, but finally organised a service call at the beginning of 2018 to rectify this problem. He readjusted the cutlery rails. However, it is still an issue and is not satisfactory. Also our control panel has an intermittent cycling and the top drawer gets stuck. Help needed!

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Worst dishwasher I have had . It is the fifth dishwasher I have purchased since the late 1960s

the dishes come out very wet but clean enough , it is quiet , slow and difficult to load as the interior is dark grey . The cutlery box is small and keeps falling to bits and does not hold enough for a family of four people so is always over full and each piece needs to be inspected and hand dried.First time I have actively hated a dishwasher .It does not have a favourite feature-

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Fantastic choice!

We renovated and spent a long time researching appliances through online reviews, friends recommendations and store recommendations. We have had the dishwasher now for 9 months and incredibly happy with it. Dishes are spotless, the white finish looks seamless with our cabinetry without having to pay additional for integrated unit. Cycle does take a while (2 hours 20) but is very quiet. Best feature is the cutlery drawer, so easy to load and unload.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Excellent Dishwasher, super quiet and is the best dishwasher I have ever had

We had previously had a BOSCH and LG Dishwasher which were both noisey. We wanted a quiet dishwasher and was are extremely happy with choosing the ASKO dishwasher. It can’t believe how well it cleans my dishes. It holds heaps of dishes and is so quiet you sometimes don’t even know it is running. It also dries all plastics. Highly recommend. You even get free delivery. Definately worth spending the extra money. You get what you pay for!

Date PurchasedMay 2018

More instructions needed

Bought a brand new dishwasher, we used it twice and in a month we had a power surge, the dishwasher couldn’t function. We switched off at the main and back on again it didn’t work. Read the manual and we couldn’t find anything to work it out. We were getting frustrated as we had a big load to wash after a dinner party. Then rang the manufacturer and a technician came out. The problem was that when a power surge happens the plug need to be unplugged from the wall and replugged for it to work. Made us look stupid.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018