4ASUS RT-AC68U

VerifiedMPN:RT-AC68U
4ASUS RT-AC68U
pal549
pal549

hi, i have just got on nbn fibre to the home and would like to buy a good router to my home and extend the wifi to my shed but as i read the reviews some say its just a router and i would need to buy a modem as well but others say it works well with the nbn just by plugging it in. is the nbn box in the garage a modem or do i need to buy this router and a modem .thanks paul

Marshall
Marshall

If it's NBN FTTH or fixed wireless, the box on your wall should suffice for the modem side. Your ISP or NBN will be able specify which port on the wall box you need to plug this router into, as there will be several.

Neil Pierce

Why does productreview describe this as a modem/router when it is only a router? Many people will waste money buying this when they are after a modem.

Joshua R.
Joshua R.

Because it is a modem router.

Neil Pierce

Well if it is I hope whoever has bought it hasn't had the issues I had with the Asus DSL-AC68U I bought instead. It dropped out my internet connection every few days and then would not reconnect unless I cycled the power to it. I eventually gave up and went back to my old Telstra Fast 5355 modem.

Bucketofbowash
Bucketofbowash

First of all I have to admit I am not a nerd when it comes to Wifi ect. I have purchased Asus RT_Ac68U because I have intermittent WiFI connection to my iMac. I have two computers the PC is attached to my present Modem/router an iinet TG-789 which is old. My iMac is in another part of the house.I am told I just need a modem to connect the Asus router. Problem is no one can tell me what modem I need or how to connect the Asus router. Help? Asus Service centre no help whatsoever.

Mark C
Mark C

will this work with century link?

Questioning

is the Asus rt-68u also a modem or do I need something else?

calais
calais

You will need a seperate modem, it is only a router

Greg W.
Greg W.

Or buy the Asus DSL rt-68u. It has a built in modem with the router.

Scotch Fury

Or grab a cheap ISP unit and place it in Bridge Mode which even most ISP issued units have as an option. Handy also in the off chance of failure or connection issue as it can easily be reset back for testing or replacement in the fairly unlikely event the Asus dies.

Margot
Margot

I havce moved my ASUS RT AC68U from my old residence which had an NBN fibre box/connection to my new home which is NBN using copper to the home phone line connection and it doesnt work - any suggestions.
I tried the Phone line to wan cable connector but cannot see any internet connectively

Scotch Fury

If you have or can easily get an ISP one, most under advanced setting will allow changing to 'Bridge Mode'. Which essentially changes it to work as a modem only. Which can then be connected, via network cable to the WAN port on the Asus. This will make the connection using the other one purely for modulation of the xDSL signal. 2nd hand sites are full of cheap unwanted ISP modem / routers. Most can be bridged to act only as a modem, and if needed, be reset back to normal for testing or troubleshooting.

Kathy
Kathy

Having trouble configuring router via laptop. Keep getting Ip address conflict. I’m not at all tech savy so any ideas? I’ve googled & attempted some suggestions but they haven’t worked. NBN HFC

Pottering11

I needed to set mine up with a direct ethernet connection to the laptop. Perhaps try that if you are not already doing that and turn wifi off on your lap top whilst you configure the router

Emma S.
Emma S.

i cant seem to find if this has voip capabilities, can anyone confirm or deny please?

mrufus
mrufus

I am replacing a FritzBox 7390 to switch to NBN FTTN. Is the RT-AC68U a suitable replacement? How is it configured to operate DECT handsets?

Pottering11

This router is designed for fibre connections, so mu understanding is it will work with FTTN. I use it successfully for FTTP NBN

hotkiwi

Does the RT-AC68U connect to HFC cable NBN connections ?

Pottering11

Yes it does. We use ours with NBN FTTP. As I understand it, the Asus routers with the prefix RT are all vompatable with NBN/HFC connections

Thanks !

Sanj
Sanj

Hi BibbityBob

Have you been able to resolve the Firmware Issue with the latest release Firmware since your last update?

BibbityBob
BibbityBob

Yes, the MyBook Live NAS connection issue has been resolved.

I was mistaken that the ASUS router firmware update was the cause of the issue.

The true culprit was the Bitdefender Internet Security 2015, that I had recently installed across the 5 PCs in the home network.

I resolved the issue with Bitdefender Technical Support, the security software was being overly aggressive, blocking the NAS on the LAN when it was trying to "wake up".

Sorry for the wrong conclusion, I will contact Product Review now to correct the information, regards, Bob.

Get an answer from our members and ASUS representatives

Extra Information

ProductReview.com.au award logo

ASUS RT-AC68U is a ProductReview.com.au Awards Winner for 2023, 2022, 2021 and 2018.