Audio Technica ATH-M50x

Audio Technica ATH-M50x (page 3 of 5)

See the Best Wired Headphones in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Amazing

These headphones blew me away the first time I tried them on. You can hear so much more than you do with other cheaper headphones.

The ear pads could be a bit softer though as they do tend to heat up your ears after a couple of hours of wear.

Date PurchasedMay 2015

Excellent headphones

I got the Audio Technica ATH-M50x from DJcity last year after my old ATH-M40x stopped working.
Great clarity in all sound stages, feels fairly solid and well built, earcups cover the entire average ear very comfortable to wear. Hasn't had any problems with it so far. Love these headphones and highly recommend.

love em

I think with headphones the only downside is you don't know what you're missing out on, other than that these headphones are fine. good grip on the head, excellent sound quality. really no complaints, I've grown very fond on these but who knows what higher end quality we could be experiencing with more premium headphones. I used to be happy with $20 headphones before these.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Simply Great Quality Headphones

I also have the M40s the model below this which are also great. The M50s however are just that much better they give off a little more bass but not too much like Beats do. They are certainly great build quality and design handy to have the range of plug in leads for differing lengths. They can get a bit bulky an inconvenient at times, but these have been times Ive had on long flights though I do like them and certainly recommend them.

Date PurchasedJun 2015

Amazing Studio Quality Headphones

The key word for these headphones are studio monitors. Unlike Beats or Skullcandy etc the sound signature for these headphones are very neutral and they do not emphasis anything such as the base. I personally enjoy a more neutral sound signature as I listen to a wide variety of music and do not want anything to be over emphasised. If you are into music creation a neutral sound is also beneficial as you can hear exactly what you are producing without an artificial emphasis. The sound isolation is very good and the weight not too noticeable however I found the pressure on my ears to isolate noise fatiguing after an hour or so. I liked the detachable cord when carrying the headphones around and the mechanism to lock the cord in has never failed or worn as of ~1 year of use. I found the coiled cord really heavy but you get three different cords in the box .so that is not a problem
Pros:
Neutral, clear sound signature
Amazing sound quality at this price range
Several detachable cords
Great noise isolation

Cons:
Noise isolation is fatiguing after an hour or so
Detachable cord takes a few seconds to attach (though you could just leave it on)

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Amazing headphones with a few things to improve on

I've had these headphones for around six months and the sound is absolutely amazing. For those coming from bass heavy models and less audiophile level headphones, this may take a little time to get used to. My only complaints are that it's missing an inline controller and mic, which you can easily find on eBay, and it's a bit hard to wear for long periods of time, although you can get more comfortable ear pads.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Great Monitor Headphones

These headphones feel super comfy when wearing them. I generally get very hot, however I do not feel this when I wear the Audio Technica ATH-M50x. In regards to sound quality it is very neutral in a sense that the bass is not too heavy nor is the treble so you get an overall accurate sound. The cable makes the headphones very durable. Would highly recommend especially to those budding producers out there!

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Reasonable quality when new but lacks noise isolation and tearing

As with all new products, you get the satisfaction of owning something that you fits your criteria. The downside however is that you will realise that after prolonged usage or 15 minutes, your ears and cheeks will become sore since this is a heavy headphone. The constant need for moving this headphone is place is quite annoying since it tends to slide backwards. This leads to the next issue which the leather starts to flake and peel off. You will find black leathery flakes everywhere when this happens. This can be quite messy until until all that should peel off is has already fallen off leaving you with an unpleasant looking headphone. The last point which may or may not bother users is the lack of noise cancellation. Hearing outside noise can only be cancelled by increasing the volume. Any earbuds from a phone are able to compete with this headset.

Date PurchasedJan 2014

These are the standard which all headphones are compared to

One of the most popular cans there are. The ATH - M50x, its tried, true and tested. The sound is fantastic with plenty of bass and its quite the looker. Its not the most comfortable pair of cans ive owned but its my daily driver without a doubt. When Im on the bus or when Im walking through the busy central tunnel, these are on me

Date PurchasedFeb 2014

Fantastic headphones. Value and quality in one.

Please note: I have the ATH-M50 version.

Pros:
- Build quality is amazing. I am ruthless with my equipment, and it is still holding well.
- Value is fantastic
- Sound is beautiful, crisp, clear.

Cons:
- Natural wear and tear comes on the ear muffs, however it's a easy replacement.

My experience with Audio Technical has been amazing so far. I might look later into the bluetooth version if smartphones are moving away from the 3.5mm port.

This headphones are definitely worth picking up.

Date PurchasedJul 2015

Best headphones I've ever owned.

It's true what all the Youtubers say about these headphones. They are extremely solid with great audio. My favourite feature is the detachable 2.5mm audio jack on the headphones themselves. I bought an extra few cables on eBay for a few dollars, and will never have to worry about cables causing the headphones to be unusable. Great purchase.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Comfortable and worth spent

I bought Audio technica MTH50x and never regretted it because it was very worth and the sound quality is awesome. Even it works very well in nosy environment. Loved the cable mechanism where u can unfit it if u want to take it out and 3 different cable length was worth it.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

decent for certain uses

Tried these as I like Audio Technica, however I didn't find them as suitable for home use as my A500's so I resold them and switched back with a new pair of ear pads. They were not as comfortable and had a lot more bass which dominated the sound too much for my liking.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

GREAT HEADPHONES

Have owned my M50x for over 2 years now and can say that i am still very happy with them.

sound is crisp and very clear and the noise cancelling is fantastic. GReat with most types of music too as it has a very balanced sound.

Comes with not 1, not 2 but 3 interchangable cables, which gives you many options depending on where you use them. I wish all wired headphones did this.

They fold up very nicely too and are a great thing to bring along on a plane trip.
The only personal nmotes is that after a few hours tehy do get very hot on teh ears, but that can't really be made any better due to the closed ear design for noise cancellation.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

Good headphones. Have had this for over 3 years now. Going strong. Durable (have dropped it over 10 times). On point audio quality. Mid bass is a bit muddy however. Highly recommended if you want to spend on something decent. I use this for monitoring - but GOOD too for a daily driver.

Date PurchasedJan 2015

Great headphones

Have been using these for a couple of years. I have no complaints on the crisp sound and the durability of its build. They can feel a bit tight after long periods of use. Sound leakage is apparent in a quiet room, but not so much while commuting. Overall, good headphones to use at home.

Date PurchasedNov 2015

Excellent!

The noise cancelling is great and I’m very happy with the sound quality overall. It’s flexible, folding into itself makes it easy to use during travel even though it is bulky. It comes with multiple cables and at different lengths which is a great bonus. I use it for work everyday and have never had any problems with it since purchased.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Excellent entry level heaphones.

Purchased these headphones from JB Hi-Fi for $179 with 2 years additional warranty. These are great no matter what you plug them into. I'll give them that. You will be generally impressed if you plug them into your iPhone, Android, mac, etc.. They're pretty darned good. The volume is perfect, the highs are there but tame enough while keeping truth. You won't blow your eardrum tweeter, but the highs are definitely there and serviceable to truthiness of the treble band. The bass is true bass. It's not overly exaggerated; these WILL NOT give you an ear massage, it will however give you pretty close to exact bass. That's actually a fantastic thing, learning to appreciate bass rather than it treating your ears as a trampoline is definitely an enlightenment.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Near perfect, bar a few things

These headphones are perfect, if you make a few changes. The first change being that the earcups are too thin and give you a headache, getting something like a set of brainwavz cups, once you've worn them in, they're perfect. The next change is on the software side, with some audio, the highs can seem very harsh, using Dolby Atmos pretty much alleviated any discomfort and changes it to a perfect sound stage along with the alternate earcups. Matching this with a modmic for the full headset experience, you're all good to go.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

the best reasonably priced studio monitor headphones

Of course these aren't the best headphones for your iPad or computer... doh. they're a decade old design of the best (perhaps with Sony and Sennheiser as competitors) under 300 buck studio quality closed headphones. I picked up two for my studio. They're so good that it's tempting to break the basic rule of studio mixing and mix with phones. Bravo Audiotechnica.