3Audio Technica ATH-M40x

3.6

Jake
JakeRichmond-Tweed, NSW10 posts

Great Headphones but needs 1 minor Change from New

These are the longest lasting Headphones I have owned in my 40+ years. They outlasted all other Brands I have owned including Bose and Koss. They are exceptional Value for money.

The only thing negative about these Headphones is that I found the OEM Earpads to be extremely uncomfortable. Replace those immediately with any of the "thicker" aftermarket ones and the problem is solved. I have found the "Angled" Earpads which cost around $7 a pair from Ebay to be Excellent replacement.

I would definitely recommend these and would buy them again. Show details

kcd1961
kcd1961Illawarra, NSW22 posts

Great sound, poor build

I used these for a year and a half. Treated kindly. No abuse. After 15 months the swivel attachment just shattered. Very disappointed. They were comfortable and sounded great, but I expect better durability. Show details
Sound Quality
Charles
CharlesSouth East Queensland, QLD

Hazel
HazelGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC2 posts
Ben
BenBrisbane4 posts

Excellent design and sound quality

Bought these a couple years ago when they released. Haven't turned back since. The high fidelity this produces is perfection. Only thing I've had to do is replace the ear pads from using them so often Show details
RGT
RGTGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC10 posts

Excellent sound quality, good built, affordable. Look no further

I listen to spotify (reggae, easy listening), use these for netflix also. Perfect for me. Cable detachable, which means if broken you can replace it, sound quality very good - these are flat lined which is to my liking. I compared side by side with M50x which seemed dampened and 'altered'. I wouldnt take these for running/mowing, i have my 20 dlrs ones for that.

A_Nother-Consumer
A_Nother-ConsumerPerth, WA35 posts

OMG

OMG - that's the only way to describe these headphones ! Bang for your buck. For $170 these headphones are absolutely amazing. Crystal clear, great midrange, not too bassy. Very comfortable, not too heavy on your head. Lovely leather pads that sit perfectly around your ears and block out external noises (traffic, kids, wife etc). Do yourself a favour - get in your favourite comfy chair, chuck on Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the moon (or The Wall), kick back and enjoy ! You'll hear things you've never heard before ! Blown away. Simply amazing. I'd give it 6 stars if it were possible.

Abe A
Abe AMelbourne4 posts

One of the best headsets I've ever used

I've gone through maybe 30 headsets like this in the last 10 years but these audio technica's are by far the best ones I've ever used. I bought it about a year ago and the headset is still in top condition, and the sound quality is a clear jump up from the sennheisers I was using before, 5 stars

s1Lence
s1LencePerth, WA10 posts

Good headphones

Good headphones for the price ($129), has very good noise cancelling thanks to the closed-back design and the sound quality is good. It isn't as good as I thought it would be when compared to the HyperX Cloud II. It's definitely better in terms of sound quality, bass (not a whole lot of bass but I prefer it that way) and noise cancellation but in every other area the HyperX Cloud II wins out, it's more comfortable. is physically built a lot better and is more durable and can fit a bigger head better.

Overall it is worth the price but next time I might go for something with better build quality, will see how well this lasts.

Aaron S
Aaron SMelbourne6 posts

If you're considering it and can afford it, just get it

I was hesitant about purchasing the ATH-M40x, surely it can't be that good, I bet it's just another overhyped product like Beats by Dre. Oh, how wrong I was. These headphones are just as great as they say. Are they perfect? Not by any measure; the cable is too long unless you use the horribly cumbersome curled one and the earpads are certainly not meant for periods of extended listening (I suggest replacing them with a comfier pair if you can) but the sound quality is great and they are probably the best pair of headphones in the market at this price point

Kelly
Kelly5 posts

Perfect

Awesome headphones. Great sound quality and flat responses too. Lovely to hear the music how it was intended to be heard. Durable also, I’ve dropped mine quite a few times with no breakages. The two cords provided are great too. Best headphones for the money at the moment with great value.

Mal I
Mal IPerth4 posts

Great Headphones

The Audio Technica ATH-M40x is perfect for anyone who doesn't want to break the bank when buying quality headphones. The sound on these are brilliant and they keep up with the quality of the M50x. The sound is also even better when you use an amplifier. Or a mini amplifier. The only gripe I have with these is that they don't have an option of removable stereo cord. This means that if you break the cord, you will not be able to replace it unless you open your headphones and solder a new cord in.

Overall a wonderful pair of headphones.

Lisa
LisaSydney4 posts

Great sound and quite comfortable

These are one of my first headphones and i absolutely love them. The sound on this is excellent and quite comfy to wear. The base is very good. The cable is quite long so you can easily move around with it.The only negative is that the top of the head step may start to peel off overtime.

Kevin
KevinBrisbane5 posts

Curtis
CurtisErskineville6 posts

Excellent all-round pair of headphones

The Audio Technica M40x is undoubtedly one of the best pairs of studio-quality headphones on the market. Affordable and also very diverse, they provide a great range of power that is not reflected in its price. The bass is incredible and comfort wise they are some of the best headphones i've owned. Perfect for long sessions!