Audio Technica ATH-M40x

See the Best Wired Headphones in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Excellent design and sound quality

Bought these a couple years ago when they released. Haven't turned back since. The high fidelity this produces is perfection. Only thing I've had to do is replace the ear pads from using them so often

Purchased in January 2014 at Store DJ for $250.00.

Sound Quality
Bass
Comfort

Excellent sound quality, good built, affordable. Look no further.

I listen to spotify (reggae, easy listening), use these for netflix also. Perfect for me. Cable detachable, which means if broken you can replace it, sound quality very good - these are flat lined which is to my liking. I compared side by side with M50x which seemed dampened and 'altered'. I wouldnt take these for running/mowing, i have my 20 dlrs ones for that.

Date PurchasedJan 2019

OMG

OMG - that's the only way to describe these headphones ! Bang for your buck. For $170 these headphones are absolutely amazing. Crystal clear, great midrange, not too bassy. Very comfortable, not too heavy on your head. Lovely leather pads that sit perfectly around your ears and block out external noises (traffic, kids, wife etc). Do yourself a favour - get in your favourite comfy chair, chuck on Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the moon (or The Wall), kick back and enjoy ! You'll hear things you've never heard before ! Blown away. Simply amazing. I'd give it 6 stars if it were possible.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

One of the best headsets I've ever used

I've gone through maybe 30 headsets like this in the last 10 years but these audio technica's are by far the best ones I've ever used. I bought it about a year ago and the headset is still in top condition, and the sound quality is a clear jump up from the sennheisers I was using before, 5 stars

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Good headphones

Good headphones for the price ($129), has very good noise cancelling thanks to the closed-back design and the sound quality is good. It isn't as good as I thought it would be when compared to the HyperX Cloud II. It's definitely better in terms of sound quality, bass (not a whole lot of bass but I prefer it that way) and noise cancellation but in every other area the HyperX Cloud II wins out, it's more comfortable. is physically built a lot better and is more durable and can fit a bigger head better.

Overall it is worth the price but next time I might go for something with better build quality, will see how well this lasts.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

If you're considering it and can afford it, just get it

I was hesitant about purchasing the ATH-M40x, surely it can't be that good, I bet it's just another overhyped product like Beats by Dre. Oh, how wrong I was. These headphones are just as great as they say. Are they perfect? Not by any measure; the cable is too long unless you use the horribly cumbersome curled one and the earpads are certainly not meant for periods of extended listening (I suggest replacing them with a comfier pair if you can) but the sound quality is great and they are probably the best pair of headphones in the market at this price point

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Perfect

Awesome headphones. Great sound quality and flat responses too. Lovely to hear the music how it was intended to be heard. Durable also, I’ve dropped mine quite a few times with no breakages. The two cords provided are great too. Best headphones for the money at the moment with great value.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Great Headphones.

The Audio Technica ATH-M40x is perfect for anyone who doesn't want to break the bank when buying quality headphones. The sound on these are brilliant and they keep up with the quality of the M50x. The sound is also even better when you use an amplifier. Or a mini amplifier. The only gripe I have with these is that they don't have an option of removable stereo cord. This means that if you break the cord, you will not be able to replace it unless you open your headphones and solder a new cord in.

Overall a wonderful pair of headphones.

Date PurchasedMay 2016

Great sound and quite comfortable

These are one of my first headphones and i absolutely love them. The sound on this is excellent and quite comfy to wear. The base is very good. The cable is quite long so you can easily move around with it.The only negative is that the top of the head step may start to peel off overtime.

Date PurchasedFeb 2014

Great headphones for a decent price

Arguably the best headphones that can be found at this price range (along with the M50x). Not particularly bass heavy and well rounded sound quality. The build is fairly strong and sturdy, with sufficient padding around the head and ears. The ear pads may be too hard for some users and it is not uncommon for those to buy aftermarket paddings. Personally, as a spectacle wearer, i find that the paddings can cause some discomfort with long hours of use (however this is not uncommon for most headphones). The headphones come in a plastic "leather" bag, which should provide some low end protection when travelling. In the box, there are also 2 cables, both of which are very long; one is coiled, the other is straight. Note the proprietary jack which plugs into the headphones themselves; shorter replacements cables are available at your own cost. Personally both cables are slightly too long for normal usage, but it is not unbearable to deal with.

Having used these headphones for gaming, music and videos for around 2.5 years, I would definitely recommend them to those who are looking for improved sound quality

Date PurchasedJan 2015

Excellent all-round pair of headphones.

The Audio Technica M40x is undoubtedly one of the best pairs of studio-quality headphones on the market. Affordable and also very diverse, they provide a great range of power that is not reflected in its price. The bass is incredible and comfort wise they are some of the best headphones i've owned. Perfect for long sessions!

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Comfortable headphones for home

I found these head phones to have great sound quality for music and movies, also was very comfortable to wear for extended periods of time,the only set back is that it was a bit too bulky for travel and commuting. And the wire would get in the way if using while mobile

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Affordable yet high quality headphones

Use these headphones during plane trips and for gaming. Enjoyable to use especially for the price that you can get them at. The m40x can feel quite tight as times and tends to warm up your ears but this usually disappears after the leather mounds itself around your ears. Very very good headphones overall.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Great Flat Sound

I needed something for my music production that was cheap and had a flat EQ to monitor the sound properly. I landed on this for being in my budget and having favourable reviews. It is safe to say that buying this was probably the best thing I have done to my ears. The sound quality is fantastic, you can hear all the frequencies clearly and there is no artificial boosting of certain frequencies (Like beats with lows and highs) which sounds good at first but wears down your ears fairly quickly.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Awesome all round entry level headphones

These are probably the best pair of cans that you can get for around $100. I bought these headphones expecting them to be of good build quality, nice sound, good highs and lows (bass was not so good), and a nice finish. It met almost all of my expectations by a lot more than I thought. When I first listened to music with this, I was pretty amazed. The sound was spot on, there was no sound leakage and I could hear new things in songs that I couldn't hear before with other headphones.

I used these for music, and a bit for gaming. For the gaming, the sound stage was alright, not the best, but all the sounds in the game did stand out, but obviously not as much as a dedicated gaming headset. The build quality is really good, it sits nicely on my head or around my neck, and it is very easy to move around with, but It does look a bit weird to use in public. Overall, the headphones are top quality for the price, and if you are ever considering anything else but these and a few other quality brands like Sennheiser and Bose, then you are looking in the wrong places.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Absolutely love these headphones

Brother bought these for me for christmas, very nice headphones but big. Was looking to bring these everywhere like travel headphones but even when folded are quite big unlike qc35s, but the sound quality is excellent, coming from a non audiophile. I brought these on a nine hour flight, the sound isolation is pretty good but nowhere near anc. If you want a headphones used at home or studio these are great

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Great all round headphones for everyday use

The ATH-M40x are by far the best pair of quality headphones you can get for just above $100. The sound is all round excellent, the bass isn't too heavy and the highs and lows are on point. With the matte black finish it sounds and feels like a premium headphone, it is quite oftenly used in studio booths due to its great build quality. In addition it comes with two different length cables with a ATH specific jack for your headphones. But if you're willing to pay an additional $50 it would be good to look into the ATH-M50x.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Great entry producer heaphones

Although I have now upgraded to the ATH-M60x, I do not regret buying these.

Great pair of headphones for the price, easily beats anything else in it's price category.
Really good mid range and bass.
True to it's sound, so a great pair for producers and music makers.
Also comfy, that you can wear it for hours without discomfort.

Date PurchasedJan 2015

Nice headphones

These headphones are good, they have good noise cancellation and no sound leakage. they are also comfortable and feel solid. I have a few gripes with the device such as it not having bass, it lacks it alot and the foldable design. It has not come.into any use for me at all yet which is pathetic. It gets confusing when it's tangled.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Great headphones

Purchased these headphones after my Creative ones got too old. The bass is deep and sound is crisp. Only complaint is for people with big ears -I had to buy extra pads that would fit my elephant ears. After trying the m50x I would probably go for them, when these one die will updgrade

Date PurchasedSep 2015