A'van Aspire Hardtop Series

A'van Aspire Hardtop Series Questions & Answers (page 4 of 4)

400 Series, 500 Series, 600 Series

68 questions from our users

Perral

Perralasked

Aspire Hardtop 555 Double

The Thule Omnistor 5200 awning on the 555 Aspire flaps badly at the point where it enters the drum (on the caravan side wall) when even a fairly light breeze is blowing, the noise, keeping us awake at night. There are 4 L shaped aluminium pieces that have been inserted in the horizontal groove by the Avan builder presumably in an attempt to stop the flapping noise. Any suggestions in how to rectify the flapping would be much appreciated.

Canscot
Canscot

We have a new Aspire 555 and also have the noise problem at night so much so that we have to take the awning in some nights. Would love if someone had an answer for this as it is slowly driving us crazy

actionplayer
actionplayer

The best way to fix that is to get rid of the thule awning as they are rubbish and fit a A&E or carefree awning. The thule and prostor awning that avan use is not an awning just a sun shade, as that is what they are called in the instruction manual. I have have removed so many of these sun shades of avans and fitted A&E or carefree awnings. You could give the factory or an avan dealer a call and ask them what they think about thule and prostor awnings, sorry I mean sun shades, but you will get told they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Wayne Constable
Wayne Constable

Hi Canscot we have a new (8month) old Avan 555 hard top and had the same problem. Purchased an ATV antiflap kit, works a treat. It also strengthens the wind outawning bars. Must remember to ensure one leg of the awning islower than the other for rain run off. If you dont do this heavy rain will bend your arms at the kuckle. Happy caravaning hope lthis solves your problem. Also any problems give Avan Morriset a call, Sonny and staff very helpful.

Loz

Lozasked

Aspire Hardtop 555 Double

We are considering buying a brand new 2016 Avan Aspire 555 directly from the factory. Love the look of the van, but wanting to upgrade the suspension, awning, plus solar. Any advice or reports of problems with this van would be appreciated? Cheers Lorraine.

Hi Lorraine.
Like I said we have not had it long. Only been away one weekend so far. All went well. Only do let the hot water heat up between showers. I forgot how small it was and had a half hot half cold shower. Our unit was a unwanted order with many upgrades. They wanted glossy white internal finish. It turned up with their upgrades , but a matt finish. We were told by a different company salesman to avoid the gloss as after a while it dulls and scratches. Plus gloss white would be like sleeping in a fridge.(My personal view) Ours has the L shape dining and the air-con under the seat. No wind drag on roof and make the seat slightly higher and a more compfy height to sit at. The torsion bar suspension makes it higher and in between an off road and on road van for height. Fine for us behind a landcruiser tray back. We have a glass screen door and ceramic sink. Get the water level monitor. We have 9 kg twin gas bottles and external bayonet..
Tv , stereo and outside speakers. Good idea to upgrade awning the one we have looks a bit weak and flimsy. Solar I will be adding. The lead acid battery I put in the cruiser. As I have a twin battery system there. I replaced the battery with a glass one from Aussie batterys and solar. Less gas and longer 10 to 15 yr life as against a 5 yr with the other. Also have the ALKO Stability control thingy on board as well. Tows well at any speed. Any more questions . Just ask.

Kimba

I have no knowledge of the larger hardtop, but I would definitely consider upgrading the suspension as well as bypassing the Prostor casette awning and instead choose the standard canvas type awnings as they have stronger support arms and I suspect canvas would outlast the Prostor synthetic awning material;however, the Prostor awning room is I think easier and quicker to setup.
ALKO stability control or similar is a definite must.
Besides a fixed roof solar panel, I would suggest consider an additional portable unit that you chase the sun
We had a foam mattress which we updated earlier this year to a 200mm thick inner spring mattress- best upgrade we did besides the ALKO anti-sway!
Avoid any under bed aircon as the vibration keep you awake at night. If intending to free camp I would consider purchasing either a gas or diesel heater besides the standard aircon/heater. We found out the hard way that the std aircon/heater( when using a powered site) doesn't work if the temp falls below 4c!

Pete
Pete

Beware my 555 came with mud tyres they are incorrect and dangerous make sure tyres are complying with the specification plate

Wayneasked

Aspire Hardtop 555 Double

Anyone got a wiring diagram for the 555? Where can I get the correct water monitor and wiring from? The sender unit is already in the tank with a short six pin plug( 2 rows of three pins, only 5 pins used)

Greatsparks
Greatsparks

Wayne

tried them first time about wiring diagram. Said they had asked around and could not locate one. Emailed a second time about water monitor and other questions. Received no answer at all. They are as helpful as a mobile phone with a flat battery.

depots1

depots1asked

Aspire Hardtop Series

We have had our Avan Aspire 555 for 4 weeks.First trip away the battery under the bed cooked due to faulty wiring,was releasing acid gas and hours away from igniting.On checking,an authorised electrician found that the solar charger was not isolated and connected in parallel with 240 volt charger.There was no changeover or select switch.He concluded that there are serious battery gas ventilation issues and the battery should be located externally.I hate to think what could have happened had the battery exploded.The smell alone almost made us pass out.Has anybody else experienced this and what was the response from Avan ?We have requested the battery be put outside,so far we have had no response to our request.What do others think.Thanks,Heather

Ouch! Not good,
I'm no expert on solar, the 499 we have was bought second hand and had no battery so we installed a sealed job, I thought that being underneath the bed a sealed or gel battery would be safer. As for solar we are still investigating solar before we buy and install, there Is a lot of misinformation about on this subject and it is easy to get ripped off like you were. However keep persevering seek good advise and you will have a good set up.
Cheers and happy Avaning.

Lozzaasked

Aspire Hardtop Series

We are looking at purchasing an aspire555 my husband is concerned about the Thule awning. He feels that it is a little flimsy. Does anyone have an opinion?

Dale55
Dale55

I have a 499 Aspire. At the time I bought mine they were fitted with a Proster awning. Other than the brand they look very similar to the Thule. They are a lightweight awning and suitable for holidays/weekends. Most awnings are prone to failure in bad weather and strong winds. The awnings fitted to the Aspire range are a little more prone. It pays to buy awning support 'ribs'. When rain is expected, drop one end of the awning a little to allow run off. There are stronger awnings however you need to express your concerns to the dealer if buying new and see if there are options. I hope this has been of some help.

Lozza

Thank you for your response. We will take on board your valuable information and ideas.

Steve

Hi Lozza. Dale55 is correct. We have a 499Ht with the Prostor awning. We like the way the awning works and Have been in some nasty weather with it but it is a tad flimsy and collects a heap of water during rain, We will get some ribs if we can! Getting parts from Avan seems to be almost impossible. Also when we bought the van the camp room walls Had been put away wet and were stuffed, Dometic told us that they were not importing the camp room as they were too flimsy and were going to make their own. But we never heard back from them also, our local canvas maker made us a new one that works fine,so far. Hope this helps.

Leanne

Leanneasked

HI
We purchased an A'Van Aspire in February 2013 done a couple of trips tows well quite happy with the van the only complaint i have is the shower doesnt drain well and there is often backflush from the sink have to keep a few old towels to mop the shower floor if the toilet needs to be used during the night any one else have this issue?

Hi Leanne
We never used the van shower so can't honestly comment on your issue. Our van towed well, looked good, layout suited us but we couldn't live with the many minor defects resulting from poor quality control in the factory and the poor response from Avan. We sold it after just one year, feel better already!
I hope you enjoy your van for many years as I have no doubt they do build some good ones.
RPtas

Hi Leanne,
I did not have this problem with the AVAN, however I believe that it is a problem with a lot of vans, my latest Jayco is the same, however I have now plumbed a separate waste line for the shower as it is so low, and problem is now fixed! before that I used a chamosis to clean up excess water!

Hi Leanne,
We fixed this problem by putting a small bucket under the outlet and plumbed the bucket with the sullage hose with fittings available from an irrigation shop.
also we bought some plastic matting from Clarke rubber shop which is highly slotted on the under surface so the water drains freely so you can use the toilet whitout standing in a puddle of water.

Bernie

Bernieasked

Aspire Hardtop Series

I am considering buy a 2008 avan pop top roland mk11 .I would be really greatful for any feed back on this model or avans in general Regards?

Hi Bernie,
My biggest problems with Avans are the way they finish off the interior wall joins, their lack of attention to detail and their "well that's how we build them" attitude from both the factory and dealers.
The internal wall joins are covered with a wood grain tape which can not hide the gaps behind and can look hideous especially with a little side lighting. I have removed all the tape, filled the joins with plastibond and re-taped. I now have the finish which should have been provided by the factory. Avan have carried out some minor warranty work and I am currently waiting for a promised new awning to replace the factory damaged unit. Hopefully when this is installed I will have a van which I can use without getting annoyed every time I see it. Would I purchase another Avan ? After 12 months of frustration dealing with both the factory and dealer -- no, I don't think so. Hope this helps. RP tas

Sam James

Sam Jamesasked

Aspire Hardtop Series

I am considering an Avan Aspire 499 with Adventure pack pop top. Have the issues been dealt with under warranty? I am not going to buy if the warranty means nothing. Thanks Cheers Sam Perth

RP tas

Hi Sam, No, the issues have not been dealt with as yet but we are still talking with our local Tas. agent and Ian Stokes from the A van factory in Pakinham. We will drop in to the factory on our way home from Perth in August and sit on their doorstep! Very dissapointed with the lack of service during the past 7 months but we will stick at it until they fix the worksmanship issues. The van design suits our requirements for layout/ function and size but poor finish takes the "new van" gloss away. Hope this helps.
RP (Tas)

Mark435

Hi Sam, We not long ago bought the Avan Aspire HT 499 with adventure pack. We love the van and the budget was right for us. General speaking from my experience you always get what you pay for! The AVAN for us is exactly what we wanted, covered all the bases without the too hefty price tag. I believe that when purchasing a caravan of any brand you have to consider how far away you local dealer is and look at the review of your local dealer, as to how they deal with warranty issues!

With the Aspire, we have found that the toilet stopped working, after researching the Thetford toilet has a 3amp fuse hidden inside after removing the cassette, however this fuse was OK, there was also a 3amp fuse under the bed which had blow, which also runs a few of the lights! After replacing that one with a 5amp have had no probelms! Also minor design fault, that the door to the van if leaving open and clipped back on the van, does not allow the window above the sink to be opened ( does not worry us too much), and also covers the two vents for the airflow for the fridge! ( once when we were using LPG for the fridge and had the door open all day, it appeared to heat up a bit, but we just closed the door and the temperature around the fridge enclosure reduced fine! Lastly the Adventure pack towball height was mounted to the bottom of the drawbar, which for me with a lifted Prado, was way too low. I have purchase 40mm thick steel billet, drilled holes, fitted longer bolts to raise a bit for my vehicle, if you owned a normal sedan the height is probably OK but if you have a remotely high towball mount you will probably need to raise also!

With Avan, we are really happy, Compact, light weight, VAN, but I would recommend having that desire to fix minor things yourself if buying an AVAN, ( being a tinkerer like me)

Hope this helps!

We fixed the problem with the door covering the window and vents by buying the door plastic retainers that are attached to the door and body from Avan and attaching them to a bent piece of aluminimum that then clips into original retainers and holds the door away from the side of the van.

Get an answer from our members and A'van representatives

A'van Aspire Hardtop Series