21A'van Aspire Hardtop Series

A'van Aspire Hardtop Series Questions & Answers (page 5)

Tommy4 · Aspire Hardtop 499 Double

Can table be converted to a bed in 499 HT Aspire?

Tom

Can’t help I am afraid. I have the 555 . I have glanced at the L shaped dining and thought about it . But that’s as far as I got , as I have no real need.

Donald Birks
Donald Birks

It can be, but I would suggest only suitable for Children as it is not a full size double and a little short.

Trisha

We were told in could be done. There is a short table leg and a cushion insert.(so far we haven’t purchased) We have a aspire 555 L shape lounge. My adult sister and grand children have slept on the lounge by just removing the back rests. We have a table adjusting arm on all the time which brings the table out a bit from the seats as we found the table too close to the seats for comfort.

Tommy4

I just entering the nomad life & I will be travelling on my own; excited & terrified mixed together; so won’t be the last you will hear from me.

Needed to think about spare bed incase any of my friends or family decide to visit me.

I will need to find work every now & then

Survivor

linda
linda · Aspire Hardtop 555 Double

Hi All, We are going on our 1st trip next week. We have Avan Aspire 555 2016.We purchased second hand.Our problem is that the panel on fridge dosnt light up to turn the fridge on.Can anyone please help.?

Wayne

The pan on the fridge is powered from the battery . Find the fuse and check it.

Wayne

That was the panel on the fridge. To get to the fuse behind fridge, find it behind the outside vent. To remove vent , there are two slide catches at the top. Slide them towards one another, then vent hinges from the bottom. Find the fuse holder and check it. Place panel back in reverse order. Hope it’s not just a flat battery.

Wayne · Aspire Hardtop 525 Single

We have a 2015 avan 536 aspire we are Hooked up to caravan park main we have not enough pressure to have a shower, why?

Joffa
Joffa

The pressure drop could be caused by a blocked fresh water hose hose, sediment in a fresh water inlet filter, faulty non-return valve in the fresh water hose connector, and you could start by checking all those things first. But it's very likely to be a jammed Pressure Limiting Valve (Google PLV or Pressure limiting valve to see what they look like and how they work). This is a brass in-line valve assembly fitted by caravan manufacturers to protect your hot water system and other components from high pressure damage by automatically adjusting itself to regulate pressure. It's not uncommon for them to play up and sometimes completely jam shut. Our brand new Aspire 555 was jammed before we had even set off on our first trip, only because the van had been sitting idle in the dealer's yard for a few months! You could get a plumber to fit a new one, or if you're reasonably handy and have some plumbing knowledge, you could find where yours is located and fix it yourself. On our 555, the unit was located at the bottom of the bedside cupboard where the fresh water pipe enters the van from outside. You have to remove the assembly by detaching the inlet and outlet hoses, separate the assembly by unscrewing the top off it, and free it up by pushing the inside valve open again, and wash out any remaining dust or debris in it. Two things: It can be a pain getting access to it, getting a spanner to it and removing it, and also re-installing it. If you do it yourself, use good quality plumber's tape on the threads when re-installing to avoid leaks. Tip for re-installing: put about 3 or 4 turns of tape on the threads, screw back together firmly, unscrew, put 3 or 4 more turns of tape on the threads, then screw it all back together good and tight, being careful not to strip the nylon fitting. Doing this repair yourself is a lot cheaper than getting a new one fitted (around $70 just for the valve), and there's no guarantee a new one won't jam up again later anyway, due to dust or dirt entering the pipes, or even just from lack of use. So, knowing how to fix the problem is useful. But you do need some handyman and plumbing skills, and if you don't feel confident doing this, best to get a plumber to do it.

Wayne

I would say faulty non return valve

Tom
Tom · Aspire Hardtop 555 Double

We are looking at purchasing an Avan Aspire Pop top 555 September 2016 model. We have a new Pajero Sports diesel to tow it with. Can any one tell me what is the fuel consumption like? We normally average around 600ks in the car alone, but wondering if towing an aspire would we only get half the ks.

Wayne

How long is a piece of string? In our landcruiser 4.2 after market turbo. We went from 13 l/100kms to anything from 16 to 20 depending on the terrain. In the 2.8 hilux it is around 14 on the south coast highway. Would expect maybe 12 on the north coast highway. In my old work 3 litre ranger towing an excavator of the equivalent van weight ,consumption went up by half again . A fellow worker towing with the triton , doubled its fuel use and even had to go to low range pulling up hill on some dirt roads. All I can say is buy it , enjoy caravanning and live with the fuel consumption. Try all speeds 80, 90 and 100 and find the sweet spot. The smaller motors work harder.

Frankie A · Aspire Hardtop 555 Double

Hi we just bought a 2016 Avan Aspire 555 hard top can someone please tell us where the battery pack is located? the charger under the bed but can’t find the battery pack

Wayne

Well , in mine it’s under the bed , on the passengers side. They may have moved it outside like a lot of other vans , in a gal box against the drivers side chassis rail.

Trisha

At times they are an optional extra, depends where you brought the van, private or dealer. Ours came with the van and it is under the bed. Our previous van we had to buy the battery separate.

Frankie A

We found it thanks the charger was under the bed the battery pack was under the L shaped seat in the corner thanks for the replies

Alan W · Aspire Hardtop 555 Double

when we got up this morning I thought it must have rained all night, because the ground was flooded around the van, on closer inspection, the water was pouring out of the water tank inlet. I shut the mains water supply off and open the cap of the water tank inlet, and water came gushing out. How is it that when I connect a hose to the mains inlet, that it fills up and overflows the watertank?

george6750
george6750

Sorry Alan but this is mysterious. I thought the mains/ tank systems would be virtually independant of each other. As a basic, I assume the mains hose is connected to the van mains inlet.

Sorry, can't help. Let me know the answer. Regards

Alan W

What I think may have happened is that I probably put a little too much pressure through the mains. It wasn't a problem when we first set up camp, however after two days, a couple of vans around us left, and I reckon, by them disconnecting from from the mains, has put more pressure onto our connection. Since we've moved on I haven't had the problem.

Thankyou for your input.

Cheers,

Fluff head
Fluff head · Aspire Hardtop Series

We are thinking of purchasing a avan aspire 525 2014 model. . Would love some feed back on these vans thanks

Trisha

Ours is a aspire 555 we have just done over 12000 ks with no issues except for the water gauge which is not very accurate. The quality of fittings we have found first class. I would check the weights ours weighed heavier than the plate stated, conciqently we couldn't fill both 95lt water tanks.

SHORTY
SHORTY · Aspire Hardtop Series

Hi.The 4 lights in the front section of my van suddenly don't want work on 12 volt or 240.back bedroom area has no problems . Can anyone advise with the light set up.regards Tony.

Wayne

Check your fuses. I only had trouble with installation of stereo. The positive power was from el cheapo connector. Which only worked when the wind was from the right direction and the sun in correct posi as well.

Rob · Aspire Hardtop 555 Double

Where do you get a connection for your grey water outlet. We bought the hose from the dealer but they neglected to mention we needed a connection. We arrived at the caravan park and no way to connect the hose. Being new van buyers I feel this is poor service.

Wayne

Ended up with an irrigation connection

Rob

Thanks Wayne we finally found an irrigation connection at Bunnings, but a little surprised we are not given one with the black hose, or is this asking too much?

Phantom

Dont expect customer service if you have purchased an AVAN, you will probably

discover there is no service !!

Fittings for the grey water outlet can be purchased from TRADELINK plumbing

stores, probably a lot cheaper than a caravan outlet.

Rob

We had the same thing happen to us. My husband found a connection at Bunning's to make do. Yes it is poor service

actionplayer

That's right phantom there is no service just lies from the dealer, Who shouldn't be a dealer but this is what happens when you employ people to work there who have no idea. There lies aren't just to there own customers but there own staff as well. I have been waiting for my apology since the 31st of march, still waiting.

Trevor J.
Trevor J.

don't hold your breath, we ordered a new aspire 555 2019 told them what we wanted 4 months latter it arrived with the wrong seats and door, another 5 weeks got the van but cant use the seats they showed us the seating we where looking fro in a bigger van when we our,s which is a smaller van can,t get between the table and the seat, when we picked the van up did,nt have it ready for travel, everything was left on only filled one gas bottle broke the antenna on reverse camera and just sat it on there, and not one sorry for mucking us around, great service NOT.

Perral
Perral · Aspire Hardtop 555 Double

The Thule Omnistor 5200 awning on the 555 Aspire flaps badly at the point where it enters the drum (on the caravan side wall) when even a fairly light breeze is blowing, the noise, keeping us awake at night. There are 4 L shaped aluminium pieces that have been inserted in the horizontal groove by the Avan builder presumably in an attempt to stop the flapping noise. Any suggestions in how to rectify the flapping would be much appreciated.

Canscot
Canscot

We have a new Aspire 555 and also have the noise problem at night so much so that we have to take the awning in some nights. Would love if someone had an answer for this as it is slowly driving us crazy

actionplayer

The best way to fix that is to get rid of the thule awning as they are rubbish and fit a A&E or carefree awning. The thule and prostor awning that avan use is not an awning just a sun shade, as that is what they are called in the instruction manual. I have have removed so many of these sun shades of avans and fitted A&E or carefree awnings. You could give the factory or an avan dealer a call and ask them what they think about thule and prostor awnings, sorry I mean sun shades, but you will get told they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Wayne Constable
Wayne Constable

Hi Canscot we have a new (8month) old Avan 555 hard top and had the same problem. Purchased an ATV antiflap kit, works a treat. It also strengthens the wind outawning bars. Must remember to ensure one leg of the awning islower than the other for rain run off. If you dont do this heavy rain will bend your arms at the kuckle. Happy caravaning hope lthis solves your problem. Also any problems give Avan Morriset a call, Sonny and staff very helpful.

Loz
Loz · Aspire Hardtop 555 Double

We are considering buying a brand new 2016 Avan Aspire 555 directly from the factory. Love the look of the van, but wanting to upgrade the suspension, awning, plus solar. Any advice or reports of problems with this van would be appreciated? Cheers Lorraine.

Hi Lorraine.

Like I said we have not had it long. Only been away one weekend so far. All went well. Only do let the hot water heat up between showers. I forgot how small it was and had a half hot half cold shower. Our unit was a unwanted order with many upgrades. They wanted glossy white internal finish. It turned up with their upgrades , but a matt finish. We were told by a different company salesman to avoid the gloss as after a while it dulls and scratches. Plus gloss white would be like sleeping in a fridge.(My personal view) Ours has the L shape dining and the air-con under the seat. No wind drag on roof and make the seat slightly higher and a more compfy height to sit at. The torsion bar suspension makes it higher and in between an off road and on road van for height. Fine for us behind a landcruiser tray back. We have a glass screen door and ceramic sink. Get the water level monitor. We have 9 kg twin gas bottles and external bayonet..

Tv , stereo and outside speakers. Good idea to upgrade awning the one we have looks a bit weak and flimsy. Solar I will be adding. The lead acid battery I put in the cruiser. As I have a twin battery system there. I replaced the battery with a glass one from Aussie batterys and solar. Less gas and longer 10 to 15 yr life as against a 5 yr with the other. Also have the ALKO Stability control thingy on board as well. Tows well at any speed. Any more questions . Just ask.

Kimba

I have no knowledge of the larger hardtop, but I would definitely consider upgrading the suspension as well as bypassing the Prostor casette awning and instead choose the standard canvas type awnings as they have stronger support arms and I suspect canvas would outlast the Prostor synthetic awning material;however, the Prostor awning room is I think easier and quicker to setup.

ALKO stability control or similar is a definite must.

Besides a fixed roof solar panel, I would suggest consider an additional portable unit that you chase the sun

We had a foam mattress which we updated earlier this year to a 200mm thick inner spring mattress- best upgrade we did besides the ALKO anti-sway!

Avoid any under bed aircon as the vibration keep you awake at night. If intending to free camp I would consider purchasing either a gas or diesel heater besides the standard aircon/heater. We found out the hard way that the std aircon/heater( when using a powered site) doesn't work if the temp falls below 4c!

Pete
Pete

Beware my 555 came with mud tyres they are incorrect and dangerous make sure tyres are complying with the specification plate

Wayne · Aspire Hardtop 555 Double

Anyone got a wiring diagram for the 555? Where can I get the correct water monitor and wiring from? The sender unit is already in the tank with a short six pin plug( 2 rows of three pins, only 5 pins used)

Greatsparks
Greatsparks

Wayne

tried them first time about wiring diagram. Said they had asked around and could not locate one. Emailed a second time about water monitor and other questions. Received no answer at all. They are as helpful as a mobile phone with a flat battery.

depots1
depots1 · Aspire Hardtop Series

We have had our Avan Aspire 555 for 4 weeks.First trip away the battery under the bed cooked due to faulty wiring,was releasing acid gas and hours away from igniting.On checking,an authorised electrician found that the solar charger was not isolated and connected in parallel with 240 volt charger.There was no changeover or select switch.He concluded that there are serious battery gas ventilation issues and the battery should be located externally.I hate to think what could have happened had the battery exploded.The smell alone almost made us pass out.Has anybody else experienced this and what was the response from Avan ?We have requested the battery be put outside,so far we have had no response to our request.What do others think.Thanks,Heather

Ouch! Not good,

I'm no expert on solar, the 499 we have was bought second hand and had no battery so we installed a sealed job, I thought that being underneath the bed a sealed or gel battery would be safer. As for solar we are still investigating solar before we buy and install, there Is a lot of misinformation about on this subject and it is easy to get ripped off like you were. However keep persevering seek good advise and you will have a good set up.

Cheers and happy Avaning.

Lozza · Aspire Hardtop Series

We are looking at purchasing an aspire555 my husband is concerned about the Thule awning. He feels that it is a little flimsy. Does anyone have an opinion?

Dale55
Dale55

I have a 499 Aspire. At the time I bought mine they were fitted with a Proster awning. Other than the brand they look very similar to the Thule. They are a lightweight awning and suitable for holidays/weekends. Most awnings are prone to failure in bad weather and strong winds. The awnings fitted to the Aspire range are a little more prone. It pays to buy awning support 'ribs'. When rain is expected, drop one end of the awning a little to allow run off. There are stronger awnings however you need to express your concerns to the dealer if buying new and see if there are options. I hope this has been of some help.

Lozza

Thank you for your response. We will take on board your valuable information and ideas.

Steve

Hi Lozza. Dale55 is correct. We have a 499Ht with the Prostor awning. We like the way the awning works and Have been in some nasty weather with it but it is a tad flimsy and collects a heap of water during rain, We will get some ribs if we can! Getting parts from Avan seems to be almost impossible. Also when we bought the van the camp room walls Had been put away wet and were stuffed, Dometic told us that they were not importing the camp room as they were too flimsy and were going to make their own. But we never heard back from them also, our local canvas maker made us a new one that works fine,so far. Hope this helps.

Lozza

We feel that your response has been helpful in our decision.

Many thanks

Sue
Sue

Hi Did you buy the 555 Aspire. We are looking at a second hand 2015 model. Just worried about their quality

Leanne
Leanne · Aspire Hardtop Series

HI

We purchased an A'Van Aspire in February 2013 done a couple of trips tows well quite happy with the van the only complaint i have is the shower doesnt drain well and there is often backflush from the sink have to keep a few old towels to mop the shower floor if the toilet needs to be used during the night any one else have this issue?

Hi Leanne

We never used the van shower so can't honestly comment on your issue. Our van towed well, looked good, layout suited us but we couldn't live with the many minor defects resulting from poor quality control in the factory and the poor response from Avan. We sold it after just one year, feel better already!

I hope you enjoy your van for many years as I have no doubt they do build some good ones.

RPtas

Hi Leanne,

I did not have this problem with the AVAN, however I believe that it is a problem with a lot of vans, my latest Jayco is the same, however I have now plumbed a separate waste line for the shower as it is so low, and problem is now fixed! before that I used a chamosis to clean up excess water!

Hi Leanne,

We fixed this problem by putting a small bucket under the outlet and plumbed the bucket with the sullage hose with fittings available from an irrigation shop.

also we bought some plastic matting from Clarke rubber shop which is highly slotted on the under surface so the water drains freely so you can use the toilet whitout standing in a puddle of water.

UnHappy
UnHappy

Hi just add another hose form the shower under the floor and disconnect the kitchen and vantiy as the water from these cause the problem divert into the 2 pipes into 1 on side of van this fixed the problem for us

Bernie
Bernie · Aspire Hardtop Series

I am considering buy a 2008 avan pop top roland mk11 .I would be really greatful for any feed back on this model or avans in general Regards?

Hi Bernie,

My biggest problems with Avans are the way they finish off the interior wall joins, their lack of attention to detail and their "well that's how we build them" attitude from both the factory and dealers.

The internal wall joins are covered with a wood grain tape which can not hide the gaps behind and can look hideous especially with a little side lighting. I have removed all the tape, filled the joins with plastibond and re-taped. I now have the finish which should have been provided by the factory. Avan have carried out some minor warranty work and I am currently waiting for a promised new awning to replace the factory damaged unit. Hopefully when this is installed I will have a van which I can use without getting annoyed every time I see it. Would I purchase another Avan ? After 12 months of frustration dealing with both the factory and dealer -- no, I don't think so. Hope this helps. RP tas

Sam James · Aspire Hardtop Series

I am considering an Avan Aspire 499 with Adventure pack pop top. Have the issues been dealt with under warranty? I am not going to buy if the warranty means nothing. Thanks Cheers Sam Perth

RP tas

Hi Sam, No, the issues have not been dealt with as yet but we are still talking with our local Tas. agent and Ian Stokes from the A van factory in Pakinham. We will drop in to the factory on our way home from Perth in August and sit on their doorstep! Very dissapointed with the lack of service during the past 7 months but we will stick at it until they fix the worksmanship issues. The van design suits our requirements for layout/ function and size but poor finish takes the "new van" gloss away. Hope this helps.

RP (Tas)

Mark435

Hi Sam, We not long ago bought the Avan Aspire HT 499 with adventure pack. We love the van and the budget was right for us. General speaking from my experience you always get what you pay for! The AVAN for us is exactly what we wanted, covered all the bases without the too hefty price tag. I believe that when purchasing a caravan of any brand you have to consider how far away you local dealer is and look at the review of your local dealer, as to how they deal with warranty issues!

With the Aspire, we have found that the toilet stopped working, after researching the Thetford toilet has a 3amp fuse hidden inside after removing the cassette, however this fuse was OK, there was also a 3amp fuse under the bed which had blow, which also runs a few of the lights! After replacing that one with a 5amp have had no probelms! Also minor design fault, that the door to the van if leaving open and clipped back on the van, does not allow the window above the sink to be opened ( does not worry us too much), and also covers the two vents for the airflow for the fridge! ( once when we were using LPG for the fridge and had the door open all day, it appeared to heat up a bit, but we just closed the door and the temperature around the fridge enclosure reduced fine! Lastly the Adventure pack towball height was mounted to the bottom of the drawbar, which for me with a lifted Prado, was way too low. I have purchase 40mm thick steel billet, drilled holes, fitted longer bolts to raise a bit for my vehicle, if you owned a normal sedan the height is probably OK but if you have a remotely high towball mount you will probably need to raise also!

With Avan, we are really happy, Compact, light weight, VAN, but I would recommend having that desire to fix minor things yourself if buying an AVAN, ( being a tinkerer like me)

Hope this helps!

Geoffrey Hamilton

We fixed the problem with the door covering the window and vents by buying the door plastic retainers that are attached to the door and body from Avan and attaching them to a bent piece of aluminimum that then clips into original retainers and holds the door away from the side of the van.

Sam James

Just a note of caution if buying directly from the factory. We had insurance but we could only register the caravan in a person from Victoria's name and address. Luckily my son in law's Dad lived in Melbourne so our van which we paid for was in his name! We also learnt that on going in to South Australia, Northern Territory and WA that the van was not licenced and could not be driven legally in any state other than Victoria. Although the Van was a month old when we got back to Perth we had to re licence it -over the pits- pay all the fees and have the Caravan number stamped on to the draw bar. The Licencing centre lent us the Dies for the numbers and a hammer!! WA does not have an Avan agent in WA at the moment. We like the van very much it is practical, comfortable and a compact size with all mod cons. One thing to be careful of is having the awning up during rain. The water pooled on top of the awning and that weight caused some bending of the brackets holding the awning. If you use the awning up while it is raining have the awning off the horizontal so water runs off one way or the other -probably lower towards the back as that would be away from the door. Hope that helps Cheers Sam

alby
alby

Can't complain about the after sales service because.... there isn't any!

noble
noble

Another simple fix is to buy a stainless pad eye, mount it on van, 220 mm from the hinge on same level as the existing one. Remove and relocate hook, same 220mm from hinge on door. Seal new screws and fixtures with good quality sealant.
I abandoned original pad eye, and covered holes fixing hook to door with small triangular piece of eased edge polished stainless, glued in place with same sealant. Using these locations/measurements means that when door is fixed open, the window can be fully opened, frig venting is no problem, and tab that holds hook arm doesn't have to be relocated.

Sam James

Thank you for your answers which have just made it in to my inbox -6years late! I have an Avan and love it Aspire499 not off road version. I’ve had to fix a few things. The anchor for the canopy strut, and the head protector of the door fell down. I accidentally took it over some very rough corrugated roads in Kakadu having been told the road was fine. The only damage was a stone knocked off the tap under the water tank which was quite easy to fix. A great caravan. I also put in an extra switch on a wire under the bed so I don’t have to crawl right under when switching the hot water system so it is easier to reach.

Get an answer from our members and A'van representatives

Select a listing for your question
A'van Aspire Hardtop Series