Avis

1.4

Meegan

MeeganFar North Queensland, QLD

Never again!

I will never hire with Avis again, after dropping our car back a day early for them to fix a tiny stone chip. Avis never repaired it, hired the vehicle to the next renter and the chip turned into a massive crack across the whole windscreen.
We are now being blamed for this crack from the other driver and Avis and are being forced to pay for a whole new windscreen !?! Very dodgy tactics. I’ve called multiple times, sent numerous emails with photos but have still not had the charge reversed. Stay away

Going back to hertz

First time renting an avis after years of using hertz and end up buying a windscreen because of a small stone chip. Going back to HERTZ where Ive never experienced anything like this.

Vehicle TypeToyota Corolla
Vanessa Sun

Vanessa SunSydney, NSW

Ripped off by the Artarmon location

Vehicle TypeNissan Leaf

BPF

BPFSydney, NSW

Beware of unauthorized additional charges

Vehicle TypeHyundai Santa Fe
Pass

PassSydney, NSW

Charged more than $70 what was quoted without any explanation

Drew W.

Drew W.Sydney Surrounds, NSW

I would rate this business -0 - Disgraceful and arrogant conduct - DO NOT USE THEM!! They don't care about their clients

Rob

RobSouth East Queensland, QLD

Very Disappointing!!!

I've been using AVIS for a while for intrastate work trips. Recently had an incident where paint fell off the back of a truck and was splatted all over the side of the rental vehicle. I reported it to AVIS 10 mins after it occurred, provided all the details and arranged to swap the vehicle over that afternoon so AVIS might have a better chance of cleaning it.
Weeks later I'm sent an invoice for the excess amount suggesting I hadn't provided any details. Unbelievable! They are a massive company, are lazy and just DON'T CARE about looking after the people that provide them with business.
Will I be renting from AVIS again? There are much better options in Australia. Don't waste your time or money!

Vehicle TypeIntermediate car
Received Booked VehicleYes

Pushy customer service & watch out for hidden costs

I rented a car for 5 days through Avis in Malaga, Western Australia. When I picked up the car, they pushed me 3 or 4 times to pay extra to reduce the excess (an extra $500 or so) and were quite irritated when I refused. When I returned the car, it took several attempts to get a final invoice, to find they had overcharged me by $32. I've queried it, but they claim the fee was correct. I know it's a small amount, but I just want to warn others of their tactics.

Kmr

KmrSydney, NSW

scammed me on a petrol tank refill

I returned my car with a full tank and had receipts but they added a tank of fuel to my credit card without telling me. They were hoping I didnt notice. It took weeks to fix the mess. I wont use them again

Ernie

ErnieSydney, NSW

AVOID AVIS at all costs -> Dishonest misleading trade practices, inconsistent messages from staff, no customer service

Vehicle TypeKia Carnival
Shelly

ShellyQueensland

Misleading and deceptive

I hired a Avis budget vehicle in Cape Town, South Africa. The staff member advised that the car did not include breakdown insurance and to cover this I would need to purchase the premium insurance. This was in fact incorrect. My car hire included breakdown, but she stated it did NOT. Who wants to take the risk in South Africa. As a result I paid an additional $360. Travellers beware of this deceptive and misleading information.

Vehicle TypeVolkswagen Golf
Linda J

Linda JGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Beware. They charge extra.

Vehicle TypeHyundai i30
Johnson T.

Johnson T.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Dishonest Car Rental

They overcharge me for credit card surcharge but they ignore my refund request. In the invoice stated 1.17% surcharge fee but end up they charged me 6.9% fee. Please stay away.

Michael

MichaelMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Awful experience with refund issue post hire

Made a booking with AVIS and required a refund due to a system error their end. Have made numerous calls to their reservations call centre post hire to try and sort it out and been hung up on four time. You are moved around between their reservations departments and no one can sort it out. very frustrating for what should be a simple process. will never hire a care from them again as have been treated very poorly by their processes.

Zsolt

ZsoltCanberra

Very disappointing customer service

Vehicle TypePeugeot 308

Liz K

Liz KCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Charged more than double!

Quoted $266 charged $735.
Customer service at Sydney Airport was friendly but I was given me the paperwork for a different car.
Call centre was not very helpful after being on hold for almost an hour to discuss charges.
Was charged again upon returning the vehicle.
Not impressed, would not recommend.

Vehicle TypeSuzuki Swift
bill

billSydney, NSW

Avis charged me for a rental fee that I already pre-paid through rentalcars.com

Bunda

Bunda

Dishonest or just devious?

Vehicle TypeHyundai i30
Karen S

Karen SSydney, NSW

Unexplained Charges

Hired a car in South Africa. Avis received a speeding fine and charged me an admin fee, which is fine. I received no copy of the fine and was not advised how I should pay it or what to do. 4 months later two additional charges for the same amount were debited on my credit card. I have been trying for a month to get an explanation. I am told they are not erroneous charges but no evidence of any additional fines or charges has been provided. It seems looking through the reviews here that Avis just charges whatever they want with no proof. I chose Avis because I thought they were a reputable company but I guess not. Well done Avis you have lost all my future business. Don't use them is my recommendation.

Mr C

Mr CDarwin, NT

Overcharged on quote

I hired a car in Hobart & was told & shown on a small screen that for four days my total charge was $648 however when I checked my account later that night they had charged me $871. I went back to see the hire staff the next day & was told that I should have been told they would charge me extra however they didn’t which makes the transaction illegal.

Vehicle TypeNissan X-Trail

Matt Ward

Matt Wardasked

Booking confirmation 3144-2492-GB-4PP

This booking was cancelled due to Covid 19 and no flights available to the UK to take up the car hire . A months notice was given.I have enquired 5 times regards refund and no response other than speak to your travel agent. No agent was involved - booked on Avis website and paid immediately via credit card.

Appreciate a tough time for all business around the world . I appreciate the due refund asap . Every other hotel/airline that was involved in this trip has responded positively and had done the right thing within a reasonable amount of time .

Please Avis do the same .

Cheers Matt

Mick80

Mick80asked

Anyone been in an accident with an Avis hire car when the hire car crashed into my car and did substantial damage to te rear end but unfortunately I am not insured so I am trying to get Avis to pay for my car as the accident was not my fault ( rear ended)
Avis claim I must chase up the driver and until he pays his excess I will not have my car repaired. Yes the man driving the car is no longer answering calls or emails...
any advice is much appreciated

asgill74
asgill74

this becomes police matter, i hope you reported acident to police, they can find the driver, most probably issue his ticket, get police report number for insurance claim. if nothing works, report to consumer affairs, if nothing work, you may have to take AVIS to QCAT, only take $60-70 but bit of pain.

Michelle Leong

Michelle Leongasked

Is the service still same now, 2016?

Old_Guy
Old_Guy

Yes the service can be nest described as bad.
Car delivered scratched (every panel including the roof!) and filtheir than a worn out cab
Was asked at Melbourne Airport to put in 2 dollars ($1.30/l) more fuel as there was an discussion of the defnition of a full tank?
It isnt AVIS fault it is the 'crew' that handles the cars for all renters.

Other Car Hire Services