Avis

Avis

See the Best Car Rental Services in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Avis? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

Pushy customer service & watch out for hidden costs

I rented a car for 5 days through Avis in Malaga, Western Australia. When I picked up the car, they pushed me 3 or 4 times to pay extra to reduce the excess (an extra $500 or so) and were quite irritated when I refused. When I returned the car, it took several attempts to get a final invoice, to find they had overcharged me by $32. I've queried it, but they claim the fee was correct. I know it's a small amount, but I just want to warn others of their tactics.

Kmr
KmrSydney, NSW

scammed me on a petrol tank refill

I returned my car with a full tank and had receipts but they added a tank of fuel to my credit card without telling me. They were hoping I didnt notice. It took weeks to fix the mess. I wont use them again

Andrew
AndrewWestern Australia

Debit Cards

Bunda
Bunda

Dishonest or just devious?

Newport Lad
Newport LadNewport

Very poor service Perth airport.

Ripped Off !!!

Prebought voucher for small car at Frankfurt. Told not available. Must pay extra for bigger car! Paid. Returned with full tank. Charged extra petrol, upgrade (more than told). What a Rip OFF. Wrote emails & snail mail but Avis-Budget have not answered. Avoid this company at all costs!

November 5th 2019 Update: Finally an answer from Avis

In response to my letter (25th Oct) today (5 Nov) I've finally received an Email from the Executive Office, Avis Budget EMEA, apologising for the more than dis-satisfactory service I received at the Budget Frankfurt Airport. for which I left them a bad review. They apologised for their bad service and say they have refunded all the extra charges back onto my credit card. Many thanks.

JOS
JOSGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Beware the "Estimated cost"

Good car, terrible service

Pick up/drop off and the car itself were fine. But they charge you for the car with a deposit up front, then take the full amount of the rental a second time, holding the remainder of your money for more than a week. No interest in helping out on the phone. No explanation up front that this would happen.

If you go with these guys, know that they will take $400 + (2×car rental cost) for more than a week, before they correct.

Michy
MichyQueensland

Mixed feelings...

Kay L
Kay LSouth East Queensland, QLD

Disappointed

The experience with the office staff was positive.
I didn't get the car I asked for.
Negative experience was when I got in the car,stunk of cigarette smoke,wasn't very clean.
Plus couldn't find how to release the handbrake.

Won't even open complaint case

We had an issue with Avis. After ringing and sending an email they refused to open a case because the attachment couldn't be accepted. There was no attachment! In other words, they would not even open a case for a genuine complaint. Avoid.

Unreliable GPS and exorbitant costs if you scratch it

Avis provided a car with built-in GPS for our Christchurch NZ holiday. It stupidly kept directing us along roads that were closed when we wished to just go onto the next town; plus it could never get us back to our accommodation as the only route it offered included turning illegally against a permanent no right turn sign. We had to give up going to the next town south as three different roads all were dead ends. We solved the daily return by trial and error familiarising ourselves with one way streets and turn restrictions - and ignored the GPS. NOT good enough Avis!!!

Get a new operator at avis launceston

I am an avis preferred customer and at avis Launceston had to watch the staff serve the general line first. Then I was offered the worst vehicle available and when I refused they offered me a brand new prado. What is the point in being an avis preferred client?

Outbound
OutboundSouth East Queensland, QLD

Watch for the unexpected billing

Charge for fuel , even when fully fuel a car , that the fuel gauge is not reading correct,

Fuel up hire car , fuel gauge not work properly , fuel it up full , gauge finally show full on Vechile , then told I would be charged fuel fee money , because it’s was fuel full , I would recommend next you hire a Avis car drive to to nearest fuel station, because I would trust to fully full the tank as they expect you , sorry would not used them by choice , car was great , wouldn’t trust them as sorry to say not good deal with them at all

Matt Ward
Matt Wardasked

Booking confirmation 3144-2492-GB-4PP

This booking was cancelled due to Covid 19 and no flights available to the UK to take up the car hire . A months notice was given.I have enquired 5 times regards refund and no response other than speak to your travel agent. No agent was involved - booked on Avis website and paid immediately via credit card.

Appreciate a tough time for all business around the world . I appreciate the due refund asap . Every other hotel/airline that was involved in this trip has responded positively and had done the right thing within a reasonable amount of time .

Please Avis do the same .

Cheers Matt

Mick80
Mick80asked

Anyone been in an accident with an Avis hire car when the hire car crashed into my car and did substantial damage to te rear end but unfortunately I am not insured so I am trying to get Avis to pay for my car as the accident was not my fault ( rear ended)
Avis claim I must chase up the driver and until he pays his excess I will not have my car repaired. Yes the man driving the car is no longer answering calls or emails...
any advice is much appreciated

asgill74
asgill74

this becomes police matter, i hope you reported acident to police, they can find the driver, most probably issue his ticket, get police report number for insurance claim. if nothing works, report to consumer affairs, if nothing work, you may have to take AVIS to QCAT, only take $60-70 but bit of pain.

Michelle Leong
Michelle Leongasked

Is the service still same now, 2016?

Old_Guy
Old_Guy

Yes the service can be nest described as bad.
Car delivered scratched (every panel including the roof!) and filtheir than a worn out cab
Was asked at Melbourne Airport to put in 2 dollars ($1.30/l) more fuel as there was an discussion of the defnition of a full tank?
It isnt AVIS fault it is the 'crew' that handles the cars for all renters.

Other Car Rental Services