Avis

Avis

Ripped Off !!!

Prebought voucher for small car at Frankfurt. Told not available. Must pay extra for bigger car! Paid. Returned with full tank. Charged extra petrol, upgrade (more than told). What a Rip OFF. Wrote emails & snail mail but Avis-Budget have not answered. Avoid this company at all costs!

November 5th 2019 Update: Finally an answer from Avis

In response to my letter (25th Oct) today (5 Nov) I've finally received an Email from the Executive Office, Avis Budget EMEA, apologising for the more than dis-satisfactory service I received at the Budget Frankfurt Airport. for which I left them a bad review. They apologised for their bad service and say they have refunded all the extra charges back onto my credit card. Many thanks.

Alison
AlisonSydney

Dirty car and vehicle condition report inaccurate

I collected my Avis rental car from Sydney international terminal. When arriving at the car I noticed it was dirty both inside and out. More importantly, the Vehicle Condition Report given to me indicated a car in perfect condition with no existing damage however this was totally incorrect. There were numerous scratches, dents, chips and scrapes on the car. I had to spend over 20 minutes with the car park attendant, before I could get underway, whilst he noted all the issues on the condition report to ensure I would not be charged for them upon return of the car.

Car rental

We found at the end the costs was not explained and the system you have in place is dated and you need to bring it up to the 21st century. We got got charged the cost of 389 for 4 day hire but did not expect another 800 dollars on the way you exchange the money for hiring of car.

Peter
PeterSouth East Queensland, QLD

We hired a car from Avis at London Heathrow

Okay

I hired a car thinking we were getting one thing however when we arrived we got a daggy old car that had obviously had rain coming in somewhere and it stunk like wet carpet however apparently it was the last car left. We drove around in it for a few days however we couldn't stand it any longer so we drove back to an AVIS and they did kindly swap it for us, so we were very greatful for this. Not a good first impression though.

Unable to locate Samsung Tablet left in car. Was it stolen??

Hired a car from Brisbane Airport for 4 days. Nice car, ran well. No issues with service except on return when my 6year old son left his Samsung Tablet in the pocket behind the front passenger seat. Tried to call multiple times15 minutes after dropping the car off to have no one answer the phone. Called the next day. After an email to someone who looks after lost items I was told that there was nothing matching that description. Now I know 100% it was left in the car. Either the car was not cleaned out properly or it was stolen!

jono
jonoAU

you wont get the car you choose online!

Avis website very misleading and should be invesitgated by fairtrading you select a car u should get the car you want period no excuses ! If people dont return the car intime for next users then they should be penalized ! Take lots of photos of the car before u drive it out so you have evidence and they cant blame you for scratches that were done prior .... enough said.!

Rodnco
RodncoSydney, NSW

How to avoid Rip Offs

falegal
falegal

ok

When I first started renting Avis was the only name i really knew plus it was convenient to where I lived. I could just walk to their office pick up and drop off and walk home. Now that I live not near to any rental car offices I've had to try different types. As a comparison to the one I regularly use now I have found Avis too expensive.
when i used to live close to office convenient
expensive

Find out how Avis compares to other Car Rental Services

The additional charges were disgraceful.

Hired a car through Avis at Brisbane airport. Quoted rate was excellent. Then, twenty percent location surcharge added. Obviously, I was hiring the car from the airport. Why wasn't this in the quote? 3.5 percent administration charge added. Again, unless they applied this only to me, why wasn't it in the quote? Then the GST.
Being caught in very heavy traffic and running late, I hadn't filled the car so I expected a surcharge. On estimate only, the surcharge was between $30 and $40. This seemed excessive; especially in view of the other charges.
very quick hire and extremely quick dropoff. The car was in very good condition.
The nonspecified and unquoted charges.

ShirlLeo51
ShirlLeo51Perth, WA

Getting around

We have a Hyundai i45 on hire in Brisbane and we hired a Toyota Corolla for 3 days in Darwin. Avis have not provided any maps of Brisbane or Qsld in the vehicle (not like on Darwin) which is very inconvenient as we do not know our way around at all. Main reason only three stars given.

Not good customer service really

terri23
terri23AU

Not too bad but should have been better

Alburyboy67
Alburyboy67AU

jinpatt
jinpattQLD, 4214

OK

I hired the car with Avis because it was closed to home. I received the worse service ever. My family came to visit on the Gold Coast for holiday. When I had to wait close to an hour because I got to speak to someone and took us more than an hour to get things sorted. They didn't have the car that I booked so I got upgraded to a bigger car which I didn't want but didn't have a choice.
Good product. Clean car.
Bad service. Staff were not friendly and unprofessional. There were many people waiting but staff didn't acknowledge us and took a long time to serve customer.

matthewqf
matthewqf

OK

I have used Avis in Australia and overseas and cannot fault their service. They are always very friendly and go the extra mile to help you get where you want to go. Hint: try to keep abreast of specials they offer inconjunction with your frequent flyer membership. Another good tip is to pick up your car from the city offices instead of the airport and you can save on airport concession fees. If you are travelling overseas and you have comprehensive Travel Insurance, check if the policy covers you for car hire thus saving having to purchase the excess buyout reduction.
friendly Service
Price

Matt Ward
Matt Wardasked

Booking confirmation 3144-2492-GB-4PP

This booking was cancelled due to Covid 19 and no flights available to the UK to take up the car hire . A months notice was given.I have enquired 5 times regards refund and no response other than speak to your travel agent. No agent was involved - booked on Avis website and paid immediately via credit card.

Appreciate a tough time for all business around the world . I appreciate the due refund asap . Every other hotel/airline that was involved in this trip has responded positively and had done the right thing within a reasonable amount of time .

Please Avis do the same .

Cheers Matt

Mick80
Mick80asked

Anyone been in an accident with an Avis hire car when the hire car crashed into my car and did substantial damage to te rear end but unfortunately I am not insured so I am trying to get Avis to pay for my car as the accident was not my fault ( rear ended)
Avis claim I must chase up the driver and until he pays his excess I will not have my car repaired. Yes the man driving the car is no longer answering calls or emails...
any advice is much appreciated

asgill74
asgill74

this becomes police matter, i hope you reported acident to police, they can find the driver, most probably issue his ticket, get police report number for insurance claim. if nothing works, report to consumer affairs, if nothing work, you may have to take AVIS to QCAT, only take $60-70 but bit of pain.

Michelle Leong
Michelle Leongasked

Is the service still same now, 2016?

Old_Guy
Old_Guy

Yes the service can be nest described as bad.
Car delivered scratched (every panel including the roof!) and filtheir than a worn out cab
Was asked at Melbourne Airport to put in 2 dollars ($1.30/l) more fuel as there was an discussion of the defnition of a full tank?
It isnt AVIS fault it is the 'crew' that handles the cars for all renters.

Other Car Rental Services