Bank Australia Visa Access

Bank Australia Visa Access

Just got back from a 2-month stint in Europe and used the Bank Australia Visa card a few times (NB, this is an access card, so I am accessing my own funds). It was far superior to the CashPassport that I also took. The exchange rates with the Visa card were the best I got anywhere, and the card was accepted without trouble everywhere. I wish I had known how good it was going to be and I would have used it exclusively and junked the CashPassport.

Terrible

Poor - At a time when other financial institutions (e.g. NAB, Citibank, ING Direct) are scrapping fees, MECU introduces them! They also have transaction fees of $1.30 to withdraw from their own (Redi-Teller) network.
It is a visa debit card associated with a savings accound
The fee for the debit card is $1.65 per month and their are transaction fees.

I first tried to apply for a BankWest credit card-- bad idea. After filling online form, a month later they mailed a letter saying I was rejected (even though online form said I was approved). Mecu was completely different. Within a week of submitting an electronic application, someone called to confirm the details of my application and got me set up. I've called several times subsequently to discuss the credit card and other products and the staff consistently seem knowledgeable and friendly. I'm about to apply for a home equity line of credit with Mecu as they seem to be so easy to work with.
No fees to start or ongoing fees, common sense credit assessment by a human, friendly people on the phone, no wait times to reach someone when you call.
When you go to increase your credit limit, you have resubmit all your details. I couldn't be bothered, so still have a relatively low limit.