Bellamy's Organic Step 1 Infant Formula

Price

Dear Ratnasamy, our current RRP for Step 1 Infant Formula is $32. Kind Regards,

chenz p.
chenz p. · Step 1 Infant Formula

Does it give baby gas and also Constipation

Imme
Imme

Yes gas, very bad gas. Delays the bowel movement by a day or so then comes all out at once. Soft but very painful for baby to have a full tummy and passing so much wind.

Bellamy's Organic   DM

Bellamy’s Organic do not manufacture an infant formula specifically for anti-reflux. However, in some circumstances under the strict guidance of a health professional or doctor, you may be able to thicken your baby formula with commercially available thickeners. You may wish to seek further advice from your health professional about this. Reflux in infants can sometimes be due to a poorly coordinated gastrointestinal tract and may still occur regardless of what non-specific infant formula you use. Generally treatment consists of various things including:
Elevating the head of the baby’s crib or bassinet
Holding the baby upright for 30 minutes after feeding
Thicken bottle feedings with cereal (do not do this without a doctor’s supervision)
Change feeding schedules (discuss with the child’s doctor first)
Try solid food (discuss with the child’s doctor first)

Constipation is often misdiagnosed. If you think that your baby is experiencing constipation, you should seek medical advice to rule out anything serious. It is not uncommon for formula fed babies to pass stool less frequently than breast fed infants. Stool can often be a different colour and consistency.
Any changes in diet can cause changes in stool movements; frequency, consistency and colour. In Australia it is a requirement that all formulas are fortified with mineral iron for healthy growth and development of babies. The added iron can cause some stools to be green in colour and may cause some transient constipation, particularly when compared against stools from breastfed babies. Babies go through amazing transitions in digestive function as they grow. Their tummy’s can be affected by all sorts of things including sickness, teething, and different and new foods or drinks being introduced. All in all however, you know your little one best so if you are worried, you should seek advice from your medical practitioner.

Tessa
Tessa

We have found Bellamy's to be fantastic, regular healthy bowel movements and no gas. When our baby was younger we tried an anti-constipation brand and that one created insane gas and tummy ache, but not Bellamy's. Every baby is different and at very young ages they may take some time to get used to eating, so it isn't necessarily the formula's fault. However, for our baby Bellamy's has been amazing.

Bellamy's Organic   DM

Dear Tessa, thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for providing your feedback. We are delighted to hear your little one has responded well to Bellamy's Organic,
Kindest Regards,

Jenny K. · Step 1 Infant Formula

Hi there,

my baby just turned 7 months and i m wondering if i can continue to use stage 1 Formula as i have 6 tins left. Or is it necessary to switch to stage 2?

Regards
Jenny

Bellamy's Organic   DM

Hi Jenny, At 6 months it is recommended that you commence our Step 2 follow on formula as it contains the appropriate quantity of vitamins and minerals that are best suited for a child of this age group. If you do wish to stick to Step 1, we would advise seeking medical advise to see whether this is suitable for your child.

Jenny K.

Good morning, hmmm i read in the previous posts several times, that stage 1 is suitable till 12months.
How come you are recommending me to switch to the follow up formula if previous posts stated its ok to use stage 1 formula till 12months.
I m very confused now.

This is one statement from one of your previous posts :

Bellamy's Organic   DM

Good morning Jenny, My apologies for any confusion. The paragraph you have quoted above is intended to explain that the Formula fed to the corresponding age groups will provide the nutrition required. We still encourage you to transition to Step 2 as the formula has been crafted to suit the nutritional needs of an infant within a defined age group. By continuing on Step 1, your infant may not receive all the required nutrients to support their needs from 6-12 months. It may be suitable for you to use up the Step 1 you have assuming your child is receiving enough nutrients from other sources, we would still encourage you to seek medical advice.

Please see below the advice we provide on how to best transition.
While most babies and toddlers would be expected to experience a smooth transition between the old and new formulations, it’s important to remember that every child reacts differently when changing formulas. Because of the addition of new ingredients to our formula, your baby or toddler may initially experience some digestive changes. Whilst this is completely normal when transitioning to a new food or formula, we recommend that you transition slowly from one formula to the other at around 75% original formula with the addition of 25% new formula and increase the new formula over the course of 1-2 weeks. For a bottle using 4 scoops of formula, this would equate to 3 scoops of original formula and 1 scoop of the new formula. Always ensure that both formulas have the same scoop to water ratio. If you are worried about any persistent symptoms, please seek professional medical advice.
Please let me know if you have any further queries.
Kind Regards,

Misz azmi
Misz azmi · Step 1 Infant Formula

Hi, I'm from malaysia
The doctor says that my daughter can start solid already and she's 4 months+ now. It's hard to find Bellamy's rice cereal for 4 months. Is it OK if I buy for 6 months ones. What's the difference actually?

Bellamy's Organic   DM

Hi there, The formulation of ingredients for the 4 month baby rice is more suited for infants of this age group who intend to begin solids. The 6 month baby rices have additional ingredients that are more suited for an older infant. It is advised to start at the 4 month baby rice if your child is less than 6 months to avoid any possible tummy upset when starting solids.

Phyllis C.
Phyllis C. · Step 1 Infant Formula

We are trying to transition our 6 weeks old to Bellamys what do you suggest that is a gentle change? Should we do half and half and im worried about gas would that affect the baby? Do you have sample size?

Bellamy's Organic   DM

Hi Phyllis, It is important to transition slowly from one formula to another to prevent tummy upsets. While most babies and toddlers would be expected to experience a smooth transition between one formula and another, it’s important to remember that every child reacts differently when changing formulas. Your baby or toddler may initially experience some digestive changes. Whilst this is completely normal when transitioning to a new food or formula, we recommend that you transition slowly from one formula to the other at around 75% original formula with the addition of 25% new formula and increase the new formula over the course of 1-2 weeks. For a bottle using 4 scoops of formula, this would equate to 3 scoops of original formula and 1 scoop of the new formula. Always ensure that both formulas have the same scoop to water ratio. If you are worried about any persistent symptoms, please seek professional medical advice.
Moreover, at this stage we only produce a 900g tin and don’t produce samples of our formulas, single serves or sachets. We voluntarily comply with the World Health Organisation (WHO) code recommendations and Marketing in Australia of Infant Formulas (MAIF) agreement in Australia, which does not support the sampling of infant formulas directly to parents or carers of babies.

Mrs_T
Mrs_T · Step 1 Infant Formula

Hi, I have just changed over to Bellamy’s organic (0-6 months) formula as my LO had abit of eczema on his arms & legs and I thought I’d try an organic formula to see if it helps the situation.
It’s only been 1 week on the new formula & my almost 5 month old seems to be liking it, however there are afew concerns I have.
- he seems to have a lot more wind compared to his old formula (Aptamil gold 0-6 months) & it takes us forever to get it out of him. Is this normal? Is this formula heavier then Aptamil gold??
- he now spits up almost every feed, although I’ve started to burp him a little more often during his feed and this seems to have helped a little but either way he never ever vomited / had spit ups on his old formula.
- although his eczema on his arms / legs have gotten HEAPS better, he’s now gotten a little bit around his mouth & cheeks.
Has anyone had a similar experience?

Bellamy's Organic   DM

Hi there, It is important to transition slowly from one formula to another to prevent tummy upsets. While most babies and toddlers would be expected to experience a smooth transition between one formula and another, it’s important to remember that every child reacts differently when changing formulas. Your baby or toddler may initially experience some digestive changes. Whilst this is completely normal when transitioning to a new food or formula, we recommend that you transition slowly from one formula to the other at around 75% original formula with the addition of 25% new formula and increase the new formula over the course of 1-2 weeks.
Moreover, Bellamy's Organic formula is enriched with organic prebiotic, Galactooligosaccharides (GOS), a natural oligosaccharide that is also found in human milk. GOS is shown to improve stool pattern, increase healthy bacteria growth in the stomach and the production of softer, more frequent stool movements. GOS provides a great source of prebiotics for growing babies.

Christina K.
Christina K.

Hi I have had the same problem with my little one who is 11 weeks now. He was on aptamil gold and swapped to ballamys 1 week ago and noticing spit ups and wind. What did you do about it? Did you little one get used to it or did you change formulas?

Debbie · Step 1 Infant Formula

Hi, I have a kettle that heats up the water to temperature required. What I have been doing is boiling the water to 100 degrees for sterilisation purposes and then reheating to 40 degrees when I’m making a bottle to get the perfect temperature to feed baby without needing to cool down the bottle etc. is this ok? My 2 year old was in Ballamys with no issues and now my newborn has been vomiting quiet a bit about once a day. Is this due to the new formula? As I also have a friend who’s newborn is vomiting on this formula

Sarah M.
Sarah M. · Step 1 Infant Formula

What has changed with the new formula. My 3.5 month old seems more gassy and spitting up more.

Bellamy's Organic   DM

Thanks for the message. The new formulation contains GOS Prebiotic fibre and omega 3 DHA.

Vince
Vince · Step 1 Infant Formula

I've tried so hard to find step 1 formula for my son today. But I still didn't get it, I went to local Woolworth, then Coles, BigW, there were only fews cans of Step 2 on shelves.

Why your stock is so low?

Bellamy's Organic   DM

Hi Vince you can purchase on our online store via our website. This will provide you with assurance that formula is Delevered to your door.

We have plenty of stock there.

If you are struggling to find our product and are running short, please send me an email at hello@bellamysorganic.com.au and provide me with your postal details.

Please note postage takes 3-5 business days so we encourage to order as soon as possible.

AliC1983 · Step 1 Infant Formula

Has anyone had a baby who appears to be in pain with wind after each bottle get used to the formula and settle down and not be in pain ?

Jade
Jade

Yes did you also experience any rash with open sores? Also did you buy the one that is new with the cot on the front or the teddy?

AliC1983

No sores. The tin with the cradle. Have just changed formula today, unfortunately not agreeing with my baby.

Kristen123
Kristen123

I’m wondering the same thing. My bub is hating this formula so far and has made him constipated and in so much pain.. wondering if it might settle though once his belly gets used to it but don’t know if I can leave it any longer and take the risk

AliC1983

My bub hasn’t had any constipation but the pain was horrible. I have now changed his formula and fingers crossed I may have found the right one and he is so far much more settled and not so bothered by wind. I tried the Bellamys for 7 days, worked well with my other child but not my new little one.

Claire M
Claire M

Hey guys, my baby isn’t liking the new formula, it’s really messing with her bowel movements. For 5 days she started soiling her nappies every 3 hours, and today she’s had solid stools! Poor baby has a red sore bottom and is finding it hard to sleep. She’s six months old and never had issues with the original Bellamy formula.

Wondering what formula you’ve gone to now that your babies aren’t coping with the new Bellamy formula?

erin
erin · Step 1 Infant Formula

does this powder include starch?

Carla H · Step 1 Infant Formula

My son has been on this product for a little over 24 hours now as my milk supply has dropped. He is seeming full after the feeds and is feeding a lot more frequently. This morning he has woken up with awful tummy gas pains... do I preserve with this as it’s only early days or try another ??

Bellamy's Organic   DM

Hi Carla, Thank you for the feedback. It is always good to proceed with caution and certainly seek medical opinion if you are unsure.

However, given it has only been 24 hours, your baby is simply adjusting to a change in food. The gas and bloating can be a normal transition from breast milk to formula. You should look out for signs that bub is very distressed and if the stool colour changes to very black or bloody stool. You will notice that stool will darken in formula fed babies but if you are ever unsure, please consult your doctor. I hope this answers your question?

eka2323
eka2323

Hello I think this is normal! But keep an eye on it. I moved my LO back to purely breast milk for a week until his tummy was back to normal and now trying a different formula and his “movements” are regular.

Carla H

Thank you both!! I just changed a nappy and the stool is so different to the mustard runny breast fed poop! More paste like but apparently this is the norm for formula fed bubs!!

Mell
Mell · Step 1 Infant Formula

I’m wondering why your formula has a higher protein content per 100mls than other companies? We were happily using bellamy’s for our newborn for supplementing feeds and the maternal child health nurse told us to change to a formula that has the lowest protein content as a study has shown it can lead to childhood obesity. Are you aware of the study and do you have any plans to alter the protein amount?

Warm regards,

Mell

Bellamy's Organic   DM

Hi Mell, Thank you for your wonderful question. Yes the protein may be a fraction higher than other formulas on the market but is still in line with FSANZ (Food Standards Australia and New Zealand) guidelines for infant formula. We are abreast of all new and emerging scientific research and we factor this into our product development and re-development. I can ensure that our formula is still very safe to consume and does comply with Australian standards.

I hope this answers your questions.

Kind Regards

Debbie

I was going to ask the same question as my maternal health nurse also told me to change formulas due to this

May · Step 1 Infant Formula

Hi,

I have been gifted the tommee tippee bottle prep machine which makes formula baby bottles in less than 2 minutes. The way it works is that the machine prepares a hot shot of boiling water of 70 degrees into the bottle which you then add your formula to the bottle and mix and shake. You then put the bottle back on the machine and it then releases another shot of cooled water to bring the bottle to the perfect body temperature. I was wondering if I can use this machine to prepare ballamys organic formula as your instructions state that you must use boiled water that has cooled down for 30 to 40 mins at a temperature between 50 to 69 degrees.

The tommee tippee prep machine uses a hot shot of 70 degrees (slightly higher than your instructions). Will this affect the quality of your formula and kill the good nutrients and live cultures in the formula?

Bellamy's Organic   DM

Hi there, Thank you so much for your question. There are two sets of guidelines which advise boiling water at either 60 or 70 degrees to ensure sterilisation of the water you use for making up formula. Whilst 70 degrees is not problematic, it is further emphasised that the water be luke warm before giving to your child to prevent scalding. Let us know how you go with preparation. 70 degrees should not affect the quality of our formula. We will be happy to receive your feedback.

Kind Regards

Bellamy’s Organic

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I cant wait to use the prep machine with your formula :). There’s another thing i alsp want to confirm and that is the unit measure the machine uses. It uses oz instead of ML but they provide a breakdown of the conversion as follows:

4oz=118 ml

5oz= 148 ml

6oz= 177 ml

7oz= 207 ml

8oz= 237 ml

9oz= 266 ml

10oz= 296 ml

11oz= 325 ml

If we were to make a feed for the 120 ml we will need to use the 4oz unit measure which converted is off by 2m. Will this be OK when preparing the formula? Also with the 180ml and 240ml we will also be off by a couple of ml as per the above. Please advise if this is all Ok.

Ina
Ina · Step 1 Infant Formula

Hi! My 12 weeks old baby is on aptamil gold, she become very gassy and she wakes a lot because of the gas, I read some mums found out that bellamys helped with colic, there is any reason for this? Is gentle on their tummy? As is not a specific formula for colic I was wondering why some mums find bellamys helped with this problem. Thanks!!!

Sofia De
Sofia De · Step 1 Infant Formula

My 11 week daughter is currently drinking Amptamil Gold Plus. Since around 6 weeks she seems to have become very gassy and wakes herself up from what seems like wind pain. From 8 weeks we have been adding thickener to her formula (due to reflux) which has made this worse. How does Bellamy's Organic compare? Can I add thickener to Bellamy's Organic or is there a formula specically for reflux? Thank you!

Alannah

Im just a consumer of Bellamys so im no expert. My preference is to go as natural as possible which is why I went for Bellamys as it's certified organic. My belief is that sometimes when I try and introduce a lot of artificial remedies to fix one problem im unwittingly creating other new problems. My baby is mostly breastfed and I use Bellamys as supplement. He has never had significant reflux or gas issues and i have never used thickener. He has gone through some inconsolable crying weeks which Ive put down to growth weeks. Having said that, obviously every kid is different so I can only recommend Bellamys based on my own positive experience.

Bellamy's Organic   DM

Thank you for contacting Bellamy's Organic, welcome to our Bellamy's Family. i am so sorry for the discomfort of your little one.

Bellamy’s Organic do not manufacture an infant formula specifically for anti-reflux. However, in some circumstances under the strict guidance of a health professional or doctor, our Baby Rice is added to our formula to thicken it up to help elevate the symptoms of reflux in babies. You may wish to seek further advice from your health professional about this. Reflux in infants can sometimes be due to a poorly coordinated gastrointestinal tract and may still occur regardless of what non-specific infant formula you use. Generally treatment consists of various things including:

• Elevating the head of the baby's crib or bassinet • Holding the baby upright for 30 minutes after feeding • Thicken bottle feedings with cereal (do not do this without a doctor's supervision) • Change feeding schedules (discuss with the child's doctor first) •

i hope this answered your question and your little one is settled into a routine soon. have you any other queries please do not hesitate to contact me.

i hope you have a lovely day.

warmest regards

Teegan Smith

Ash · Step 1 Infant Formula

Hello! I have recently switched my LO to Bellamy's but after our 2nd tin, I realised it does not contain pre and probiotics that are necessary for healthy guts. May I know if I can add probiotics to the milk? Thank you!

Alannah

No idea - i just use bellamys and have had no issues. I also mainly breastfeed so maybe he gets some of what he needs from that rather than the formula.

Bellamy's Organic   DM

At this stage, we don’t add probiotics to our formulas as we cannot do so and remain certified organic.

Some infants may benefit from probiotics if their own gut flora needs supplementation. Many of our Mums choose to supplement our formula with probiotic powders and blends recommended by their health professional. They feel that this option allows them to use a wider variety of live probiotic strains which may be a better option. If you are considering the use of probiotics then we suggest you have a chat with your health professional first.

I really hope this information is helpful and alleviates any concerns, however please always feel welcome to contact me anytime, always here and happy to help!

Wishing you all the very best,

Mia
Mia

It looks like my mom's generation fed milk powder mixed with probiotic.

I fed probiotic in baby food rather than milk powder when I started my baby food.

Ash · Step 1 Infant Formula

Hello! I understand your formula does not include DHA and AA due to the reasons stated on your site. I recently purchased a tin of Bellamy to try and plan on switching over to this brand. However, I am still pretty concern about the DHA component (which is deterring me from completely switching over) and would like to know if I could add fish oil drops into the formula and give it to my baby? Thank you! :)

Bellamy's Organic   DM

Hi Ash, Really lovely to hear from you, thank you so much for contacting us and congratulations on welcoming your precious little one into your family.

Our infant formula does not contain omega 3 or omega 6.

Omega-3 (alpha linoleic acid) and Omega -6 (linolenic acid) are both long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids, which are required for healthy development. The vegetable oils in our formulas provide enough complex fats which are converted during digestion to DHA and ARA naturally without the need for extra additions. We do not add additional sources of these (i.e. DHA and or ARA) as under current organic standards Bellamys Organic cannot add Omega Oils from fish or algal sources. The extraction to obtain these oils uses some pretty nasty solvents which are not appropriate or accepted in organic food ingredient production.

You should never add any vitamin or mineral supplement to a baby formula unless under the strict supervision of your health professional or doctor. Both our Infant Formula and Follow-On Formula are nutritionally complete and will provide your baby with all the nutrition required for healthy development until they are about 12 months of age.

I hope this info helps, please always feel welcome to contact me any time 

Hello Teegan!

Thank you so much for your prompt reply!

Just another question, you mentioned the vegetable oils in the formula has sufficient complex fats for the babies to convert them into DHA and AA. Other brands of formulas also contain vegetable oils as well as added DHA and AA. Of course, I do understand the extraction process contains nasty solvents which I definitely do not want any in my baby. I am just wondering why is there a need for other brands to add the DHA and AA component since they already contained vegetable oils as well and by not adding these in Bellamy's formula, will this affect my baby's brain to grow more optimally than it could have been?

Lastly, you mentioned all your formulas are nutritionally complete until 1 year of age. My baby is 10 months old now and I plan to continue giving his Bellamy's stage 3 once he hits 1 year of age. Is the formula not nutritionally complete at that age by then?

Thank you again!

Bellamy's Organic   DM

To be honest, if your little one is happy there is absolutely no rush or pressure to change over to Step 3. Even though the formula has been formulated with the necessary vitamins and minerals for the first 12 months of life, your little one would absolutely be getting all of this intake through their food so all is fine! Some parents choose to keep their little ones on formula for 18 months, which is all good! 

Difference is the Step 3 is a Cow’s Milk supplement, and has extra vitamins and minerals for this growing and active age group.

Have a wonderful day

Holly B
Holly B · Step 1 Infant Formula

Is it possible for Bellamy’s formula to be prepared like this - boil the water then pour into each individual bottle. Keep out of fridge at Room temperature then when ready to use, heat watered bottle in warmer then add formula and shake and serve.

I just don’t like having to make them all up for the day and have made formula sitting around in the fridge. I believe fresh is better

Dear Holly,

Congratulations on welcoming your beautiful little one into your family - truly wonderful!

Yes that is absolutely fine with the method you have mentioned. Only thing would be to not leave the bottled water on the bench top for any longer than 12 hours. You are absolutely correct, fresh is better however if you have to prepare some and pop them in the fridge, the nutritional profile remains exactly the same (just be sure to use them within 24 hours).

You are an amazing mum, please feel very welcome to contact me at any time.

Welcome to our Bellamy's family!

Nardia xo

Angela
Angela · Step 1 Infant Formula

Hi Mums

My 8 week old is feeding 150mls of Bellamys infant formula plus I am adding half a scoop of aptimal thickener to the bottle and she drinks most of the bottle

Bellamys recommend amount for an 8 week old is 120mls.

My questions are

- should I add more thickener to 120mls to fill her up

Or

- make up 150mls of formula without the thickener and feed every 2.5 hours

- can I use the thickener for a long period of time

Dear Angela,

So lovely to hear from you! Congratulations on welcoming your beautiful little one into your family!!

I have spoken with our Nutritionist and she has recommend you speak with her GP, maternal health nurse or paediatric dietitian.

Really sorry I am not able to provide a more detailed answer, however please always feel more than welcome to contact me at any time.

wishing you all the very best,

Get an answer from our members and Bellamy's Organic representatives

Select a listing for your question
Bellamy's Organic Step 1 Infant Formula