Bernina Aurora 440QE

Bernina Aurora 440QE

3.6

The Edsel of sewing machines

I keep thinking of this as the Edsel of sewing machines. After bragging it up, they soon quit making it. Maybe it's me, but I find it awkward to use, from putting the bobbin in, changing feet, etc. It has a small area for stuffing a quilt in. I think the BSR is over-rated. It sews a nice stitch for seams, but for all a Bernina name implies, I'm not in love with it. For the price, I wouldn't buy this again.

Thread jamming

I have a Bernina 440QE and it is professionally serviced regularly; the last time being in September this year. I do my own free motion quilting and don't use the Regulator. However, I find that the thread seems to jam quite frequently. Some days it runs like a dream, others it jams over and over. I replace the needle, check the bobbin and no change. Any suggestions? Anyone else have this problem?

Jessica

JessicaMelbourne

Fantastic!!

Sewing Machines & Overlockers

Find out how Bernina Aurora 440QE compares to other Sewing Machines & Overlockers

Josephine1348

Helen Holmes

Had an aurora 440q 4 years, does everything asked of it, excellent product

vanessa
    vanessa

Hi Josephine, I had this trouble also, only to find that I was not being forceful enough when closing the bobbin race. It needs to click closed - worth a try!

NellyM

NellyMMelbourne, Australia

• Selected Review

Fantastic machine! Very versatile.

Shirleydorothy
    Shirleydorothy

I love my Bernina QE 440 and the Quilting attachment. I have owned 5 different machines in the past and this one is my all time favourite!

Very good machine for quilting and embroidery- superior to similar types of machines of other makes that I have worked on. No problems despite frequent use. Also goood for general sewing.
    Good build quality. Advanced functions. Multiple useful stiches, easy to program, good for embroidery and quilting.Have successfully used mine with a John Watts quilting frame. No breakdowns after 5 years heavy use, and survived trip to NZ and back.
    Heavy to carry, a bit complex for the novice user, the embroidery program would not work on Widows 7 or Vista - luckily had old XP laptop

OK

I really miss my old Elna! I wouldn't buy a Bernina again- that bobbin case is so fiddly- though a left hander would find it easier. Also, you can't see how much bobbin thread is left once it is in use.
    The BSR quilting function- that's why I bought it. After a year, it's starting to skip stitches, though. Lots of features but I rarely use any of them, I just do patchwork.
    HATE the fiddly bobbin case- same on all Berninas I think. Tends to push top fabric through faster than bottom fabric. The manual is hopeless, and the CD I received was just promotional, not instructional.

Bad

Cheryl

Cherylasked

I am going to make a fusion quilt and want to take the squares with me into hospital, to crochet around them. Something to do whilst recovering. How can I Blanket Stitch around the edges [1/4” in] using my Bernini 440 Quilter? Been a while on the shelf and I need tutoring in the setting up of the blanket stitch to give me 14 loops along each edge for crocheting. Can someone help me out?

CHone

CHoneasked

Where can I buy a stitch card for my Bernina Aurora 440 QE please? I think in Melbourne.

Sueasked

I am looking at buying an Aurora 440Quilters Edition Bernina, approx 7 years old. Very good condition, always serviced. Could you tell me what I should expect to pay? Sue.

Barbara F.
    Barbara F.

Hi Sue, I’m just wondering the same question. What is this particular worth second hand???
    Need to know what is the right price to pay, cheers Barbara

Sue

Hi Barbara, I posted this 7months ago but didn’t get a response. I have since bought the machine for $1,000. I spoke with the guy who serviced it last and he said he would ask $1;200. This would come with a warranty from the store. My machine come with a lot of extras, different feet including the BSR which I was told is quite expensive. It is a lovely machine, I don’t think I got a bargain but I am very happy with it. I guess it depends if it has been looked after and had it,s servicings regularly. Hope this has been helpful, Sue.