Beyonwiz DP-P2

See the Best Set Top Boxes / PVRs / DVRs in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Beyonwiz? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Recording Quality
  • Software
  • Reliability
wombatini

Probabaly one of the best on the market ?

Date PurchasedAug 2012
Kenny LTownsville

Great features, terrible execution due to insufficent testing before putting out to market

Date PurchasedJan 2012

No problems after daily use for 7 years......

I bought my Beyonwiz DP-P2 in 2008 and have used it every day, mainly to time-shift my preferred programs. I have not had any problems with it at all, although it does run hot in the summer; solved by directing a small desk fan onto it after an hour or so.

Lasted only 14 months

expensive to buy and when it worked it works well but it's very unreliable and it broke down 14 months after paying around $800 very disappointing . Will not buy this piece of rubbish again for their sales dept customers vote with their feet and I will buy a Panasonic or topfeild.

Tony
TonySouth East Queensland, QLD

Good machine, but buggy and dies too soon

My third DP-P2 just died. I like this machine but the life seems to be getting shorter. I am tossing up whether to buy another one or not. It allows me to tape from Foxtel, which is the main attraction and does a good job when it works. Periodically though it corrupts files and old timers persist which then buggers the subsequent timers. My first one lasted about 3 or 4 years, the second one about 2 to 3 years, and the latest one barely 2 years. So the quality seems to be getting worse. a big pity. I am now looking at other options.

DenielleAU

I love my beyonwiz dp-p2

This is an excellent machine, but there can be issues, according to my research on whirlpool forums, and Beyonwiz forums, in the original DP-P2 they used cheap capacitors causing overheating issues, including EPG drop out like mentioned in another review here.

I had an ERROR 0000 fail on my DP-P2, and had only had it for 2 months (2nd hand and out of warranty) so I did major research, because I just loved this machine and really didn't want to part with it. On whirlpool forums I found someone to fix it at a very cheap price. If you have any problems please read the forums at whirlpool (under beyonwiz repairs) and beyonwiz forums and find out the best way to deal with this problem and get it fixed.

Denielle

The cheap price I am talking about is $80 with return postage (2014) from Qld Coast to WA. So cheap. They fix Topfields too.

Derek ApparicioGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

I have had a DP-P2 for over 5 years and it has been excellent, I back up anytime from the PVR to a external hard drive and edit films & clips on internal or external hard drive. I have recently brought another DP-P2 and stream recordings between both machine as they are networked. I have had Topfield & Dgtec before purchasing the Beyonwiz and when be used through an AV amp the passthrough work fantastic and the Beyonwiz always sends out the higher possible sound signal. I feel sorry for people who have had issues but either they are very unlucky or have they got some settings set up incorrectly.
Editing, picture quality and networking
Picture in picture not working

Well worth the effort

You must have got a good one. The rest of us got lemons.

analyst

I don't know if the hardware is any diff as my machine is 500gb. However, I had updated the firmware & the machine has never been a problem.

rdo2n
rdo2n

Great unit, very user friendly.

I have two different units the Beyonwiz DP-P2 HD PVR and the Strong SRT 5495 PVR. The Beyonwiz is far superior, much easier to use and has much more functionality. This applies to the remote control as well.
Ease of use and remote controls.

Hatchman
HatchmanS.A, 5114

Satisfied Until Wanting to Backup Recordings to an External Hard Drive

Scott FMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

A liberating device!

Are you saying that yours doesn't regularly lock up and deny HDD access due to a 'temporary access problem' which is permanent?

Scott F

Nope, never had that. Have you upgraded your firmware? Also, try the Beyonwiz forum.

heliman
heliman

Good

I am overall really pleased with the DP-P2 and like the fact that it is easy to use and intuitive. You should consider this product in in the market for a PVR. When buying it is important to get the price down to between $700 and $800 (Perth area) as the ticket price of $999 is unrealistic.
Great interfact. Regular firmware updates. Ease of operation. Dual program recording in HD. iceTV interface. Multi format reading of files and H264 format compatible. One remote to control TV and PVR.
EPS not refreshing automatically. Only available in Australia so no worldwide community input. The remote control is not backlit and has a cheap feel to it. Price too high to be competitive.

See all Beyonwiz DP-P1 / DP-P2 reviews

heath
heathasked
DP-P2

when I set the machine to record a program, say at 8pm on ABC or SBS it is recording the program after that time.
The machine has been set to daylight saving time so that is not the problem.
at present if I want a particular program I have to record the programs before and after.
Any ideas?
Heather

Bob M.

Hi Heather, I have noticed that the machine often starts recording a program a minute or two after it starts. I work around this by starting the recording time a couple of minutes earlier than the TV guide on the machine indicates. (I also extend the recording time a bit at the end, in case it goes over time - not wanting to miss the endings!). You can easily do this on the Pop-Up Menu (press 'Pop-Up', 'OK', then 'OK' on the remote, & follow the instructions).

Good luck, Bob

Kenny L

Hello. These days, the culprits are usually the TV stations, eg "SEVEN" etc. They now have a habit of starting 10 to 15 minutes after the tv guide scheduled time. Eg...if the tv guide says 7:30 for MKR, they might start at 7:40 PM. I don't know why the TV stations are allowed to do this, since I believe that the tv guide time needs to be followed closely, since it should be like arrival/departure times of bus and trains and planes. Needs to be accurate and followed.

There is a feature of the dp-p2 called 'padding'. So, in the user manual, look for the padding feature (in advanced setup), and in particular, look for 'pre-padding', which is an amount of time that you can include..... which is an amount of time to automatically start recording before the 'tv guide time'.

Wenno
Wennoasked

I have a DP-P2 it's showing error0000 how can I fix it

Bob M.

Sorry, can't help you, I have never had this error message on my DP-P2.

Kenny L

Most likely failed capacitors on the power supply circuit board. If somebody can take a look at the power supply and identify the failure there, then it should be possible to solve this issue. Basically, repair the power supply, and all should be ok.

wombatini

Hi, This problem will show up when the electrolytic capacitors in the switchmode power supply become faulty. If you are electronically inclined it is an easy and relatively cheap fix, BUT you must know what you are doing otherwise you could damage it or worse still - kill yourself. This is a well known problem - not only Beyonwiz but others as well. Who ever you get to repair it tell them you want low ESR capacitors rated at 105 degrees C and a good brand such as Panasonic or Nichicon.
Cheers,
Peter.

steve bradshaw
steve bradshawasked
DP-P2

After a power failure or turning off the DP-P2, the EPG doesn't display all of the broadcasting channels. Can anyone help?

Derek Apparicio

Just leave it for a while and it should refresh by itself.

See all Beyonwiz DP-P1 / DP-P2 questions