Bio-Oil

Bio-Oil (page 2 of 13)

See the Best Serums & Oils in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Flaky skin

I bought two bottles of Bio-Oil to use on my ageing skin. My skin is very dry and I thought the oil would rectify this problem, instead of which it made my skin flake to a degree that I had to wear long sleeves whenever I went out. The oil was advertised at a good price so I bought two bottles and now I'm left with an unusable product. Very disappointed.

Worked, but can take over a month to actually do anything

I have a number of scars ive used this on. It works well on evening the skin tone over a month of so but leaves everything very greasy. The bottle that it comes in is also hellish to put the lid on when you have the oil on your hands. I just wish they had a faster acting product.

Gave me an itchy rash

Tried this for stretch mark prevention at 12 weeks pregnant. My first impression was that it smelled really weird and felt gritty between my fingers. Woke up with an intensely itchy red rash the next morning exactly where it was applied. Some women swear by this product but it’s not for me. Have since switched to Palmers stretch mark massage cream which is fabulous.

Scarring from work accident

I had an accident at work that need stitches , i didn't want a horrible scar so everyone told to use Bio Oil and i did i and now i have a big fat ugly scar ,the product is rubbish i dont recommend it for that, it also is very greasy and constantly leaks from bottle.

to my skin it was useless

Bio-oil did nothing for me a waste of money. I stated putting it on the burn mark from oven cleaner as soon as I got the burn. did not help at all now I have a black scar on my arm. so I do not tell any one I know to use this product

Pretty average

Worried about persistent red, tender and dry patches on my face that didn’t respond to the usual moisturisers, I consulted a dermatologist and went for a skin scan, Luckily, it wasn’t melanoma and I was advised to use Q.V. Intensive cream to calm it all down. Not only did Q.V. Intensive not work, it intensified the symptoms. I was then advised to use Bio Oil as it would “help the skin heal”.

I bought a bottle and used it religiously morning and evening over my regular moisturiser as advised. The light pinky-orangey oil smelt faintly of lavender, and was very light and runny, reminding me of baby oil*. It didn’t quite absorb and seemed to “sit” on top my moisturiser and perhaps “seal” it in.

Anyway, it did calm the sensitive spots down, but my skin still felt dry and I had to slather on my moisturiser and top up during the day if it was a dry, low humidity day.

* I did some research later on and discovered that it is mostly mineral oil aka baby oil with some added essential oils. According to all the research, mineral oil is fine for the skin. But I decided to look for an alternative to supporting the petrochemical industry, and preferably support an Australian business...which led me to Sukin and Jurlique. Reviewed separately.

Can Clog Pores

I used this product a few years ago. At the time I wasn't aware that it contains mineral oil until I read the ingredients list. As soon as I found out that it contains this harmful ingredient I ceased using it immediately.
Here is an article I found re: mineral oil:
The Common Skin-Care Ingredient You Should Probably Avoid, According to Jennifer Lawrence's Facialist
BY ANNE BAUSO
NOVEMBER 30, 2015
Two of the biggest beauty terms right now are "mineral" (think flawless-coverage mineral makeup, mineral-rich thermal water) and "oil" (as in face oil, hair oil, body oil, sunscreen oil…). Does that make mineral oil a beauty no-brainer? Not exactly. Plenty of classic beauty products feature mineral oil for its hydrating properties, but there are also dozens of brands that emphatically call out their avoidance of the ingredient (along with other established beauty "bad" words, such as parabens, phthalates, PABA, artificial colors, artificial fragrances, and all those other things we're all supposed to be avoiding) right there on the packaging. So what is mineral oil, exactly—friend or foe? Classic skin-care staple, or major no-no?
"Mineral oil belongs to the class of chemicals called hydrocarbons, which are compounds containing only carbon and hydrogen," says biochemist Paula Simpson. "Typical hydrocarbons are petrolatum, paraffin, and mineral oil, all of which are widely used as emollients because of their low volatility and smoothing texture when applied to the skin." This helps explain why mineral oil is so widespread in skin care, from drugstore bargains to high-end prestige products. It locks in moisture to heal dry, irritated skin and makes products feel silky-smooth and luxurious, but Simpson continues that "because of the barrier effect it has on skin, mineral oil can also clog pores." And according to dermatologist Ava Shamban, "creams that combine mineral oil and paraffin can actually damage the skin barrier and increase water loss."

How to Get Rid of Blackheads, According to Top Dermatologists
"I highly recommend staying away from mineral oil," says Beverly Hills aesthetician Sonya Dakar, whose clients include Jennifer Lawrence and Gwyneth Paltrow. "It's derived from petroleum and does not absorb into the skin—its molecular size is simply too big. As a result, mineral oil remains on the surface of skin, making it a reflector of the sun, which can lead to more sun damage and discoloration." And while there are many oils that can moisturize without clogging pores, mineral oil isn't one of them. "It's the one type of oil I don't recommend for any skin types," says Dallas-based celebrity aesthetician Renée Rouleau. "It clogs the pores and suffocates the skin. Cosmetic companies formulate moisturizers with heavy oils, such as mineral oil or petroleum, to replenish dry skin. But those oils have large molecular structures, so they usually never truly penetrate. Your moisturizer should always absorb into the skin, not just sit on the surface."

I hope the above-mentioned article will assist anyone wanting to give Bio-oil a try to think twice & not consider purchasing. My advice is to use either extra virgin, cold pressed unrefined coconut oil, argan or rosehip oil instead.

Great product

Have been using this for years, however the design of the bottle makes it leak from sides constantly. I use it as a daily moisturiser although haven't seen any tremendous results with stretch marks but it smells like baby powder which is quite pleasant - i would reccomend a try, no harm!

Excellent product!

Great product that helps relieve scars. This product when applied daily can give fantastic results. My daughter has been using it for a month now and she has had great results. I was a little sceptical at first but now see the benefits. It doesn’t leave your skin feeling greasy either.

No improvement

It’s good for dry skin as well as any oil even just a normal oil you just use to fry your chips. It’s not worth to buy this expensive product and not giving you any result. Tried more than 5 bottles. Very upset. I could’ve just cheaper oil or just simple as almond oil or coconut oil.

Didn’t see results

I didn’t see any visible results from this product on any stretch marks or scars.
However, as it is an oil, it is extremely moisturising and is good for dry skin.
It tends to leak a bit from the bottle and the packaging is a bit flimsy.
Overall, would only use to treat dry skin

Doesnt help with scar

This doesnt help much with scars which i thought it would be effective on. I use it as make up remover instead and it was great. It is the first that I use before having shower at the end of the day. Price is alright as you can is it for a while.

Never gotten results

I've tried using this product many times before but never got any results. I tried using it to get rid of my stretch marks but didn't help at all! The bottle also leaks and leaves oil on your hand when you pick the bottle up. Therefore I wouldn't recommend Bio-Oil

Terrible!!!

The first time I used bio oil was when I was 13 and I used it for this dry patchy skin that was from over popping and this area is very very small and yeah it cleared away the patch but it was still dry. And now years later I bought it again cause hey maybe it might work better with me being older. Well since it claimed to be for dehydrated and uneven skin tone I applied it to the affected area and I did this for 6 weeks instead of getting better it made it even more dry and cause my skin to become flakey . This was just a waste of money and time and I'm honestly so disappointed.

Unsecure Packaging

The packaging is not secure enough! The plastic doesn't come with a seal neither does the pack come wrapped in a sealed nylon like perfumes. This could encourage people to mix different oils and take from the bio-oil before selling. For the price of the product and the reputation of the brand, alot of consideration should be put into the packaging and bottling.

Brilliant product for younger looking skin

it is great I use it on m y face , neck and hands and I can see the improvement of my skin and younger looking skin I can not live without it great product it really helps and now I got it at work at home and at my partners place great great

It's a blessing

I have been using bio oil since 2 years now. I never encounter any side effects or any other problem with this product. I am very satisfied and a proud customer of bio oil. I can never imagine winters with out it. It is very soothing on skin, it also nourishes and hydrated well.

Better used with a moisturising lotion

It's a good oil for pregnancy and beyond for stretchmarks prevention but it does not hydrate the skin. First pregnancy i used it on its own. I did not see any magic. Second pregnancy i used two big bottles in sorbolene. The results were quite remarkable. It prevented more stretchmarks and also helped heal old ones. My skin and heels were also silky soft.

I would recommend it, but not to be used on its own.

Amazing!

I had a double bunion operation 9 months ago and was left with red ugly scars on my feet. I started rubbing bio oil into the scars only a week ago and they have improved by at least 50%. I am going to start using it on my face and legs to improve uneven skin tone as I've read many positive reviews. I would highly recommend it for any post operative scarring.

Absolutely amazing at preventing scars

Got recommended this after face reconstruction surgery following a car accident 17 years ago. Have veen keeping a bottle in my draw since. Used it to prevent stretchmarks when pregnant with my daughter and it worked as well. Not a single one! Always put on wounds while healing if deeper cuts. Wish I knew about it my teens!