Black Wolf Zambezie

Black Wolf Zambezie

See the Best Sleeping Bags and Mats in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Zambezie zip failed after two years - cheap rubbish, poor value, bad after sales service

I purchased two Zambezie sleeping bags for summer camping and sleep overs for my children. The zip on one bag failed within two years. I registered at Annaconda as a club member, believing that they would keep a record of purchases. When I took the sleeping bag back to Annaconda, I was told the membership expires after only 3 months!!! They have archived records, but to obtain these records is complicated. It would appear to me that they harvest purchasing/contact details for marketing purposes, then discard the information that would assist the customer, like purchase history. In summary, the build quality of the Zambezie is rubbish, and the after-sales service from Annaconda was just as bad. Whilst I appreciate the efforts that the service staff went to, the 'back end' let them down, and I will never shop at Annaconda again.

Purchased in December 2016 at annaconda for $43.00.

Good Roomy Bag for the money

I bought two of these sleeping bags 6 years ago for motorcycle touring.
I am a broader man, so I needed something that could fit my shoulders and didn't feel like I had been mummified -
and at the same time packed up on the smaller side so it would fit in my motorcycle luggage with other camping equipment.

The Zambezie bag is a good 'middle of the road' choice in these aspects.

If layed out and allowed to fluff up, the bag is soft and comfortable, and the lining although mostly polyester, does not have that sticky feeling and is quite nice against the skin.

Although this bag is rated to -8, it is really only a -5 bag without the hood. (a hood typically adds 3 degrees to the rating, and the rating assumes you are not sleeping directly on the ground)
I would comfortably use this bag to around the -2, -3 mark, but not much more than that. For a proper -8 bag, you really need to spend far more than $100 to get something that will do the job.

I also gravitated towards this bag because the carry bag had built in compression straps.
These worked for a while, but they broke easily when any amount of serious compression was applied, and I ended up buying a purpose-built bag to put it in - this was disappointing.

The zips are not so great as others have said, but they do the job if you are a bit careful with them.

I've used this bag on a number of motorcycle trips, and I've always been warm in it.
all in all I think its an ok bag for the money if packing space is at a premium.

Black Wolf zimbezie

Used it twice, the zipper constantly sticks. Anaconda refused to replace it because Black wolf had to come out and look at it. Black wolf agreed with this. In short forget about anaconda and forget about blackwolf neither of the know about customer service re returns. Maybe they should go to bunnings and see how it should be done.

This sleeping bag is not fit for purpose - rated to minus 8 but freezing nights

I purchased two Blackwolf Zambezie sleeping bags for my kids earlier this year. They are expressly rated to minus 8 degrees. We took them to the NT on a camping trip and they were freezing! They certainly are not rated anywhere near minus 8. Consumers might like to know that the is a statutory guarantee of fitness for advertised purpose in section 55 of the Australian Consumer Law. This guarantee binds retailers and they are required to give a refund where there is a "major defect in compliance" with a statutory guarantee. In this case, the sleeping bags just can't handle the cold conditions they are advertised for. I made a claim for a refund with the retailer (Anaconda at Moore Park in Sydney). They knocked back the refund, apparently never having heard of the statutory guarantee of fitness for purpose. The store manager actually told me I was using the bags incorrectly as I slept in thermal underwear AND PJs (this seems a bit crazy!). He reckons you should only sleep in thermal underwear, otherwise you are not using the bag properly. But I can tell you, when I was sleeping just in PJs this sleeping bag was still freezing.

I have now raised this with Anaconda head office and the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission. In the meantime, don't buy these sleeping bags if you want to go somewhere at around 0 degrees as they just can't cope with the temperatures.

So no stars for Blackwolf and certainly no stars for Anaconda. What poor customer service.

Update: Ia m the author of this review. After following up in writing with Anaconda, I received a full refund for both sleeping bags. It is worth pursing retailers when they don't comply with the Australian Consumer Guarantees

Hammock in the snow

I took the zambezie on a recent trip camping up in the mountains. With only my hammock and tarp I was a bit worried about the cold as there was plenty of snow about and it was consistently below freezing at night. Well, I worried needlessly. I was toasty all night even during a brief snow storm. Super comfortable and unreal quality for the price.

dont waste your money

I am laying in my black wolf sleeping bag writing this at 6am, its about 5 degrees outside and im freezing my toes off. iI have been awake for the past 2 hrs to cold to sleep. im in a tent on a stretcher bed. its suppose to have a munis 8 rating. absolutely useless, hold it up during the day and you can see daylight through it. iI have to put my dog in here and her blanket on top, cant wait to get to the next town going to throw this one in the bin and buy a proper one, its only a few weeks old. first and last blacl wolf product iI will buy.
the color