Blockout Blinds Questions & Answers

4.3 from 1,378 reviews

10 questions from our users

RayNajafi

RayNajafiasked

I have used you twice and have a friend in Sydney who wants blinds. Do you go there or have an affiliate company or something?

Hi Ray,

We do get asked this question a lot as our clients like to recommend us to friends and family who do not live in Victoria. We currently service Melbourne, Geelong, Bendigo, Ballarat and Shepparton. We do plan to open up in Sydney but this will not be in the short term.

Thanks for your question.

The Blockout Blinds Team

George Wilson

George Wilsonasked

Do you do motorisied blinds and can you do the electrical work for an existing older home?

Hi George,

Yes we do do hardwired motorised blinds and we can also do the electrical work for you (we are one of the few blind companies who offer the electrical service). You can also choose to use your our electrician if you wish. The advantage of using our electrician is that they are well versed in all of our products, including how set up the limits, remote controls and how to adjust them should something not go to plan.

If you are building or renovating, we suggest you touch base with use to discuss having your electrician running power to each of the windows while in the construction phase.

Generally we can motorise the following (in order of popularity); Roller Blinds, External Awnings including Folding Arm Awnings, Ziptrak Alfresco Blinds, Roller Shutters, Custom Roman Blinds. Other blinds can also sometimes be motorised but they are uncommonly requested.

For Roller Blinds, we also have the option of Lithium Lion battery operated motors. The advantage of these, is that no electrician is required and they can be retro fitted to existing roller blinds if they use the same components as we currently use. These are great if you are getting one or two blinds or if blinds are in a location that is not able to have electricity easily run to it. The disadvantage of these battery operated blinds is that you need to plug them into a power outlet 2 to 4 times a year to charge them, depending on how often you use them, and over a very long period, gradually the battery will loose it's capacity to hold it's power and will eventually need to be replaced.

A point to note, is that we generally can not retro fit a hardwired motor to an existing blind even if the existing blind was originally purchased from us, which is why we highly recommend you order motorised blinds the first time around should it be an option you may want down the track.

We also have the option of controlling both the battery and hard wired motors through an application on your phone so you can control them from anywhere in the world!

We hope this helps.

Blockout Blinds.

dbmanny

dbmannyasked

I have had blinds before, but am now building a new house and am pretty sure want to put plantation shutters in them. Is there anything we should consider in the design of the house when it comes to the windows?

Hi There,

Yes there some important aspects to consider if you want to install plantation shutters. While shutters will fit most situations, we've still had many clients who have not been able to install shutters as they would like due to the configuration of the window. If you are installing as face mounted you may want to consider the shape and width of the architraves. Wide architraves are hard to cover and decorative architraves end up being covered over and are not seen. If recess mounting (inside the window) as a lot of people prefer, you need to consider the overall depth of the reveal so that the shutter louvers (which come in different sizes) can rotate with no obstructions. Some common issues in this scenario are window winders sticking out, window locks interfering and mullions running usually vertically that can all impede on the operation and best configuration of the plantation shutter. Also if recess mounted, fly screens need to be considered, as usually once the shutter is installed, you are no longer able to get the fly screen out if it is installed on the inside on the window.

We hope this helps. Should you need further help, feel free to call us.

The Blockout Blinds Team.

Benasked

How come you never respond to the bad reviews!? pathetic organisation!

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your question. We do reply to all our reviews as you will see. In relation to more current reviews we do not reply until we know the full facts of the account. As you may or may not be aware, reviews are anonymous and we also believe some of the negative ones are fake. We generally private message the negative reviews asking for further info and in many cases they never get back to us. Also, sometimes we are simply not notified of a review being posted. We love receiving good reviews and negative ones, as they help us identify issues and improve the business as a whole. As the saying goes "If you believe everyone is happy, then people are just not telling you they are not", which is why review sites are a great outlet for improving business.

We are proud of our 0.5% error rate with orders, which means we have one challenge for every 200 jobs installed, but we are always trying to improve this. We don't always get things right - generally due to human error - but we always take criticism on board and make instant changes to our processes and systems when they have failed and speak to and retrain any staff that have caused the human error.

Thanks again.

Jason Graham
Director.

Ben

We’ll I call your bluff Jason! Finally after 18 months a message from the Director ! Wow, last I was told we could never get in contact with you Jason ! Kirsten was the highest management person we could ever speak too. I’d suggest you read the email from Daniela Davies. You should know what is truely going on in the running of your business Jason... we question how is it possible that you’re still in business. Also to be honest Jason, I don’t believe all these reviews are a true reflection as you basically BUY these reviews. You offer customers a $50 voucher to leave a review on this site on conclusion of a job. I would imagine almost everyone would take up that offer, like I did... so ofcourse you’re going to write something quick and 5 stars because you want your voucher.... Anyway Jason, it’s your business and your future. Your customer service is truely in fact disgusting, and my review is most definitely not FAKE. Perhaps after reading Daniela’s email a phone call with a true explanation from yourself my finally be in order , but I like everyone else at block out blinds, we arn’t holding our breath for a call back.... 18 months, 10 wrong blinds received, 3 cancelled installed and counting Jason. I bet you’ve spent all that money we gave you day 1 though .... hahaha.

Hi Ben

I'm having exactly the same issue. Have called, messaged, texted, emailed, emailed 'tell the boss' and have still had no action or response from Blockout Blinds. Nor have they resolved any of my issues. They have also now blocked me on social media. Appalling customer service. My issues have been going on since October 2017 - seven months and counting....

Suzi

Suziasked

Hi Blockout Blinds Team,

I am looking at getting something to close off my pergola area that will keep the wind and rain out when needed but will also still let the sun and warmth in, so I am able to enjoy my Christmas out there.
Is this achievable?
Any help would be great thankyou

Hi Suzi!
This is definitely something we can help with.
We have Ziptrak blinds and PVC Cafe blinds that would both assist with your enquiry. Also, Blockout Blinds provide free measure and quotes - call us on 1300 256 256 and we will be able to provide you with a competitive quote!
Thank you - Kaitlyn Farrance and The Blockout Blinds Team

Penny and Jay

Penny and Jayasked

My elderly parents are looking at getting some quotes for their outdoor blinds soon however sometimes they have have difficulty understanding English. Do you provide quotes on weekends? as i work Monday - Friday so it is difficult for me to be present. Or alternatively do you provide any translation services that might help reduce any communication barriers?

Hi Penny & Jay,

Thank you for the great question!

Yes we definitely provide quotations on weekends and also after hours, so I am sure we would be able to find a time that suits.

We do provide translation services for some languages – please don’t hesitate to contact us on 03 9720 0011 to see if we can be of assistance.

Kaitlyn Farrance and The Blockout Blinds Team

pusik

pusikasked

Can I put sun shade outdoor blinds up if and when they're wet? I know the canvas ones shouldn't be retracted when they're wet after rain?
Please reply.

Hi Dr Pusik

This is a great question as there can sometimes be confusion about when you should and shouldn't roll up your sun shade blind. We recommend that sunscreen blinds be left down to dry completely before rolling them up. This ensures that the fabric dries evenly and prevents patchy discolouration. Having said this, We do not recommend your blind being left down in situations where there are high wind speeds or storms. Should your Blind become wet during a storm, its best to roll it a way, as similar to a sail on a boat, it can catch in the wind and this could compromise the integrity of the blind. Once the storm has passed you can let down your sunshade blind once again to allow it to dry completely.

I hope this response has been helpful to you and that you are able to enjoy your blind for many years to come.

Kirstin Bartlett - Blockout Blinds

Roxy

Roxyasked

I was wondering if your company had any solutions for cathedral windows? No one has been able to help me so far and I have had enough of the heat coming through into my lounge room.

Hi Roxy,

Cathedral windows can be a bit tricky at times but we have several types of blind that can be installed on those windows, so you are in luck!

If you would like to privately message us your details we would love to give you a call to arrange a time for a consultation and to show you how great Plantation shutters or Vertical Blinds will look on your windows.

Rebecca Paoletti - Blockout Blinds

Suzeasked

Has anyone been successful at VCAT in trying to get their problems with Blockout Blinds sorted?

Sally
Sally

It depends on what problems you have? Can you give us an idea..
I had problems with them too and filed a complaint with VCAT, and then they sent out a new tradesman his name is john, he fixed all there stuff ups they did over 8 months and even came around in his own time and completed what needed to be done. Hes alot more skilled with blinds and with problems that arises, i have to admit i withdrawled my complaint from vcat after that, i have his after hours number he gave incase there was any other problems trust me he will take care of you not like the rest of them at blockout blinds i will never buy from them again but i will spread the word about john uluigia

Suze

Thanks for the answer Sally.
We had a John come out but have been told by BB that he no longer works for them.
Still thinking that VCAT might be quicker than trying to work with BB.

Dear Suze,

There seems to be some misinformation being posted on this thread especially in relation to one of our installers John.. We are very concerned why you feel you need to go to VCAT.

Could you please post your quotation number from our company so we can identify you and we will have our Managing Director call you personally to discuss you individual concerns.

We look forward to your reply and sorting our any issues you may have.

Sincerely,

The Blockout Blinds Team.

Pennie456

Pennie456asked

Has anyone been able to get through on the phone? I've been trying for last week and cant get anyone to answer the phone... very annoyed. I've left 5 messages with no return call. I have a warranty issue with one of my blinds which won't stay up anymore.

TonyZ
TonyZ

They are terrible. Nobody calls you back. Only when they want to.
I had another problem last Thursday. Nobody has called me to tell me what they are doing to fix my problem.
Their customer service should be called "Customer NO Service"
Worst company I have ever dealt with.

Shuttered
Shuttered

The only phone communication you get with this company is when they are ringing you for money upfront before you have anything installed.
I also tried calling and leaving messages, no one returned my call.
Had to email with threats before got a response. Even then management don't give a hoot and basically expect you to put up with their disgusting products.
They promise a five way 10 year guarantee - what a joke. Don't hold your breath.
Block out blinds need to be made accountable for the bad customer service, bad products and workmanship and for the lies and deception.

Kobaroo
Kobaroo

I have exactly the same same problem with a broken blind, no response, no one even wants to pick up the phone. I've lodged an online complaint with Consumer Affairs which I think we should all do which may put some pressure on the company to live up to warranty promises

Get an answer from our members and Blockout Blinds representatives