Bluethumb Questions & Answers

Verified🏆 2024 Award
Lee W.
Lee W.

Hi everyone, as an Artist on Bluethumb, I’d very much like to know: (1) which day of the week gets the most visitors? I’m guessing Sunday. (2) Are the Artist’s blogs (In the Studio) included in the sitemap and indexed by google? Thanks :)

Tilli
Tilli

I would like to know how other artist have found the payment for work sold process. I sold a work which was delivered and signed for on 14th May 2019 and have not yet received payment on 29th May. By my reckoning I should have been paid on 23rd May, a designated Bluethumb 'payday'. I have not been paid and there is more that $1000 at stake. I am not sure if Bluethumb really understand that artists depend on timely payments to keep their practice viable and alive. I want to believe the administrators care about the artists they represent, but am getting mixed signals. This latest stuff-up has created real hardship, not to mention the energy and time consuming distraction of chasing a payment. In my experience Art Lovers, StateoftheArt etc. treat their artists as partners i.e. real people. Does Bluethumb really do the same?

Bluethumb   DM

Hi Tilli, Ed here one of the co-founders of Bluethumb. Yes we've worked hard for many years to build strong partnerships with our artists and to be like a second home. So we pay artists on time and make every effort to do it as smoothly as possible. Two things (1) if you request join our artists Facebook group you can get answers to all sorts of questions like this directly from artists using Bluethumb. (2) Also if you email in the details of this sale please to help@bluethumb.com.au I can look into this for you. Thanks, Ed.

Monikka
Monikka

How do we know this site is legitimate? I have searched for the awards it claims and I've attempted to subscribe to the newsletter and got ambushed by nuisance spin wheels. The artists I like cannot be found elsewhere on the net.

Sharon A

Your experience with Bluethumb sounds very different to mine. I have subscribed to their emails and I continue to receive these newsletters regularly. The artists that I have found on Bluethumb and then searched for have websites. However, Bluethumb does support young artists so some may not be found elsewhere online. Having purchased from Bluethumb I do not doubt their legitimacy. The transaction was organised, professional and efficient. I am very happy with the artwork that I purchased and I would happily buy art from Bluethumb again.

Sheeraz H
Sheeraz H

Hi Monikka,

Sheeraz here from Bluethumb.

Were you able to subscribe to our newsletters? It sounds very strange that you were hit with spammy emails when you tried to subscribe. I'm happy to have a look and make sure you're subscribe to our weekly newsletters and nothing more. If it's easier, you can reach me at sheeraz@bluethumb.com.au or help@bluethumb.com.au anytime :)

Hoping to speak soon,

Sheeraz

Annie
Annie

As an artist is this a good site?

Sharon A

As I am not an artist I cannot answer your question from an artist's perspective. However, as as a buyer of art for the purpose of enjoyment and decoration in my home I can answer you. Having come across Bluethumb during a Google search I was very pleasantly surprised by the website. The site is well organised and easy to use. It offers a range of art that is different from the mass produced prints that are available on so many sites. I was happy that it was an Australian company which gave me the confidence to buy from it. As a customer my purchase and delivery were prompt and efficient. The painting was packaged with care and looked exactly as depicted on the site. I was impressed with the choice of Australian artists on the site. I will buy from Bluethumb again as I was so impressed with the experience and the art available through Bluethumb. I hope this helps!

Bluethumb   DM

Hi Annie, I do realise that this answer is over 2 years late :) and you might've already found an answer.

I think the best way to ask this directly to thousands of artists who've been using Bluethumb for years now. We have a fb group for artists and you can join and ask you questions - external link

At any point, if you need any clarification or have any concerns, please feel free to reach out to help@bluethumb.com.au.

Thanks,

Sheeraz

Artist
Artist

No - it is atrocious - treats artists like cattle, takes a huge commission, and only promotes "decorative" wall art. I have sold over 120 paintings over 4 years mostly through ebay and Etsy but also through ArtLovers Australia.

Fiona
Fiona

I am an artist who sells through exhibitions, social media, Bluethumb (and I have so recently joined ArtLovers that I can't comment on it yet). Bluethumb is extremely easy to use for artist and buyer and has safeguards through a no-fault return policy. For the artist, the commission is 30 per cent plus postage and packaging costs. This is high if you are selling near cost price, but much lower than the 50-60 per cent professional galleries charge and about the same as anywhere else. The courier charges are expensive for the artist, but we also have the choice of arranging our own, so no cause for complaint. Bluethumb also spends a great deal of its revenue on marketing, which means that even artists that don't sell anything benefit by having their work highly visible on a Google search - so artists who haven't yet contributed to revenue get that for free.

Get an answer from our members and Bluethumb representatives

Extra Information