BMW 3 Series E90

BMW 3 Series E90 (2005-2012)

See the Best Sedans in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for BMW? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

Ange
Ange

Lemon

I have wanted to drive a BMW my whole life and after just over a year of driving a 335i sedan on a novated lease I must say I am so disappointed and expected better for BMW. This car is a straight up lemon. 2 major problems which arose in the first year of using the car, first one a crack and subsequent leak in the coolant system. Second one a few months later the car just wouldn't start apparently due to "software problems" affecting the starter motor. We have had to pay around $4000 to date out of our pockets as the novated lease budget wasn't sufficient to cover the rip off prices that BMW service charge. Next car will not be a BMW thats for sure. Crap quality.

Badge335i
LineM Sport
Date PurchasedOct 2016
Heather
HeatherMount Waverley

lemon

driving experience great, handles good, no noises, stops well. nice leather seats, plenty of leg room. reliability none.always breaking down. running costs through the roof. the most unreliable, expensive car i have ever owned.stay away from this series 3 model. you have to take it to a specialist car mechanic,

Date PurchasedJuly 2014

LineLuxury
Sedans

Find out how BMW 3 Series E90 compares to other Sedans

Unsafe vehicles

Bought new 2010 320i Executive. Had bad car accident, not 1 airbag deployed after 2 collisions: bounced off a car and then a pole.
Can I sue BMW?

Kimir
Kimir

2010 BMW 320i Rubbish

Purchased brand new, has been to the dealership on no less than 10 occasions. Added recent invoices up and it has had 14k worth of repairs luckily under warranty. Problem items, 6 months into ownership:
- mechatronics gearbox replacement 11k to fix (6000 km's)
- cylinder head cover replacement and vacuum pump replaced twice (36000 km's and 66000 km's)
- faulty ignition key
Every service was done by a BMW dealership in accordance with the service intervals specified. Car looks great as it is fully optioned. Never done a review before but would like to let people know my experience. It is getting traded asap. The last fault vacuum pump and head cover replacement was covered under Allianz Extended Warranty. No problems with the claim.

BMW 3 Series E90

I bought my wife a brand new 3 series Executive, paid $65k in 2005, within 10 months the auto blew up, great under warranty, what a Nightmare of a car. Every time we took this car to BMW the minimum cost was $1000. We still have the car, the engine light comes on often, we have replaced that many Valvetronic motors, we continue to get different lights all the time. 2 weeks ago I was offered $4000 as a trade in on a Merc, the dealer apologised to me for the insult, but as he said, the 3 series was the worst car BMW have ever sold. I would agree with him 100%.
NEVER buy a BMW, this piece of ......... cost us a fortune! Not Happy :(

Never
Never

AndyM156
AndyM156Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Never buy out of warranty

I purchased a 2006 320i with 100,000km and full service history. In 14 months ownership I had multiple problems and estimate I would have spent $8,000 on services and maintenance issues including multiple oil leaks. I understand and accept that a second hand car will have faults but I have driven cars with over twice that mileage before that were a lot more reliable - I think it says a lot about BMWs build quality - the BMW specialist mechanics I took it to said this model was notorious for oil leaks. The driving experience was nothing special either. Much happier now I have got rid of it and purchased a Lexus.

Unreliable