18BMW 3 Series Sedan
Part of BMW 3 Series 3.9

BMW 3 Series Sedan Questions & Answers

Vesna M.
Vesna M. · 3 Series E90 (2005-2012)

Is the bmw 3 series e90 323i a collectors car?

Manuel O.
Manuel O. · 3 Series E90 (2005-2012)

Where in my car do I find the air bag module

Bobby Vee
Bobby Vee

I own a 3 series G20, so I have not idea.

Manuel O.
Manuel O. · 3 Series E90 (2005-2012)

WHERE CAN I FIND THE AIR BAG MODULE

grant d
grant d · 3 Series E90 (2005-2012)

what year did bmw resolve the problem with the timing chain in the N47 engine

Rockinghorse
Rockinghorse · 3 Series E90 (2005-2012)

what needs doing for a 130k service

Edmunds S.
Edmunds S. · 3 Series E90 (2005-2012)

Hello! Hope someone can help me
Why my idrive screen starts to function properly as it should work after i drive 15 minutes or so?? Example-i start the car and screen is on but when i press something its reacting after some time but later starts to work properly

alexander h.
alexander h. · 3 Series E46 (1998-2005)

Are the side mirrors powered on a 318i 2004 BMW and lf so how do you engage to make them work

BMW brah

flick the switch on the drivers side near the door handle, right or left accordingly

Muhmmd Z.
Muhmmd Z. · 3 Series E90 (2005-2012)

Hi,

I’ve bmw 320i e90 2007, the engine oil level light (yellow) went off that engine oil level is below minimum. I topped up with 1L then I checked oil level and the indicator showed that oil level is OK. One week later, engine oil light went off again, i checked oil level and indicator showed that +1L of engine oil is needed to be topped up, I did add 1L. Two weeks later, engine oil light went off again, I checked the level, it was below minimum, then I checked the oil level again just 2hours later and oil level was OK (above minimum) !!!! [There’s no any oil leak at all]. Can I please know what’s going on with engine oil in my car???!!!

Thanks!

Jez P.
Jez P. · 3 Series E90 (2005-2012)

Been thinking about getting a 2005 E90 330i, are there any particularly bad known issues with this model, engine wise (N52 engine I think) or with anything else to do with the car? Don't really want to be continually spending money on fixing it.

RW1891
RW1891

Hi Jez P, these are wonderful cars to drive. The steering feedback and the road grip of these are awesome. Some of those do suffer from coil pack issues, and injector issues. But my understanding is those are not common and rather common problem is their plastic water pumps rear with time. Check the car with a good independent bmw mechanic. That is worthy. Not buying the car because of fear of these issues at least in my view is like dumping a Victoria’s Secret model because she caught a common cold - happens sometimes, but nothing to split hair upon.

Kaylee F
Kaylee F · 3 Series E90 (2005-2012)

I was looking at buying my sister a 2005 320i E90. It has 300,000kms (yes I know thats a lot) but the engine seems great in it. It has had the whole top end replaced recently. It has a new cooling system plus new gaskets throughout. It's a manual too if that changes anything. And the high kms are because they live out of town and were driving into town almost everyday putting at least 1,000kms on it a week.

So my question is, is it worth taking a look at? She will only have it for a year until she gets off her P plates and can afford the car she wants.

Larry

Hi Kaylee, My current 320D replaced my 2002 318i which had 210,000 kms on the clock. It was an ex-diplomatic car which had about 35,000kms on it. My daughter drove it for a couple of years and we sold it to a friend last year who is very happy with it. Our first BMW was a 1986 525e which was still going strong with over 340,000klms last we heard(about a year ago). The bottom line in my opinion and experience is that the mechanicals in BMWs are so good that they will go forever (!) provided they are serviced meticulously. Things like seals, gaskets and suspension rubber boots will of course wear out/perish and can be expensive to replace. Only real problem we had was with the 525e which like your 320i had the top end replaced at about 180,000klms. In summary unless your 320i has very good service credentials at such a high mileage, I would be wary, as repairs might bring tears to her eyes. The engine is not the only costly thing; think shock absorbers, transmission, ball joints, engine cooling system, electricals etc.

lilgen
lilgen · 3 Series E46 (1998-2005)

how do see if its a real e46?

Ask your BMW dealer

BMW brah

goto TAKATA and enter rego and state if in Australia that is and all the data will pop up

Mark B
Mark B · 3 Series E46 (1998-2005)

What did the 2004 318i executive cost in AUD IN 2004?

PerthResident
PerthResident

$56 500, can find all car valuations on redbook.

sue
sue · 3 Series E46 (1998-2005)

BMW 320I 6cyl is the cam gear belt driven or chain driven or gear driven?

PK
PK

It is chain. No timing belt there.

Toni S
Toni S · 3 Series F30 (2012-2019)

Thinking of buying a 320d msport deisel (twin turbo with sports shift paddles).....any pro’s/cons?

BrianG335

If its brand new, then go for it. Just make sure that you ask for the full specification to make sure exactly which options the car has.

If its used, make sure that that it has a precise service history with no skipped or overdue servicing. Check the 'service requirements' with the I-drive controller to make sure things like brake pads, filters etc aren't nearly due for replacement. Diesel servicing prices are a little more expensive than petrol.

If you have the VIN number, use one of the free BMW VIN decoder websites to check out exact build date,where it was built and the full detailed specifications.

Snehal
Snehal · 3 Series E90 (2005-2012)

i am planning to buy a 320 E90 2006 model which has done 17000kms. not sure wether its the best decision but i have always been a great fan of BMWs. Wanted to find out if it will be an economical car or will it drill a hole in the pocket? Also wanted to know that is it ok to buy it on such high kms done?

Gt Patrol

Pay and Get it checked thoroughly over by a BMW specialist before you buy. I didn't and a $8000 car cost me another $8000 to make it reliable. ( It costs to look good ) ha ha.

Sparrow
Sparrow · 3 Series F30 (2012-2019)

I have just bought a new 2016 f30 BMW 330i m sport. The car makes creaking noises when driving slowly over an undulating surface. Any comments welcome.

Ahmet S

Sorry I dont have any knowledge on this

natural

If it's new why aren't you taking the car back to the dealer?

If you're already not getting any satisfaction there I would call BMW Australia and make the problem as public as you can on social media.

Creaking on undulating surfaces sounds like a chassis/suspension problem - maybe a suspension mounting or joint that isn't properly seated or tightened, or perhaps a faulty Macpherson strut. You could get a workshop to check it out but this shouldn't be your problem - it's has to be a warranty issue.

Sparrow

I am taking the car back to the dealer, who believes the creaking noise is coming from the door seals, that some coating on the rubber seals was removed in the pre-delivery process. The reason for my question was to determine how prevalent is this issue with other owners.

BrianG335

I haven't had any creaking issues at all with my BMW's; I had a 2014 328i and now have a 2016 428i.

Both car have been 100% reliable..not a single problem. (Much better than a 2008 335i that i owned which had numerous niggles).

The only item that annoys me on my 428i is that the Connected Drive function and apps really only interwork with an Iphone, and there is lesser support for Android phones. But i guess if you have an IPhone then you would be 100% happy.

Adent
Adent

I have the same issue on my 2015 330i m sport which I got as a demo. They reckon it's the window seals but we shall wait and see if it's sorted over the next couple of weeks.

Sparrow

My problem has been fixed by North Shore BMW. They understand the problem and have a permanent solution.

Pat
Pat

My car had the same problems. Very annoying creaking sound and rattling. Eventually I took it to the dealer and they rubbed Gummi Pfledge on the door seals. That has stopped it for now. Apparently it is very common in cars made in South Africa. Just poor workmanship. Little quality control. 4 series is made in Germany.

So much for so called luxury car.

I will never buy a 3er. Mine is a 2016 F30 M Sport.

Sparrow

Northshore BMW will fix the problem permanently

KBug
KBug · 3 Series E90 (2005-2012)

Looking at purchasing a 2007 BMW 320i executive just reading air bags not deploying? Are these cars safe? One reason was going buy one.

Ahmet S

I am sorry I cant help you with this model mine is a older model.

natural

I can't speak for the 2007 model but my 2003 model 325ti airbags worked fine when the person I sold it to had an accident. I would be contacting insurance companies to ask whether they had any data to suggest the effectiveness of '07 3 series airbags was problematic.

nregu57
nregu57

I now have a 2007 320i and have not heard anything about faulty airbags. There was a safety recall last year on a huge variety of different vehicle makes and models, but this one was not on the list.

Ricky
Ricky

It sounds like the owner before had an accident and didn't get the air bags fixed and done a dodgy on it to me. Very odd for beamer's to have air bag problems

Ben
Ben

There are no known faults in BMW e90s with their airbags, in fact its one of the safest vehicles in its class to own. Unfortunately many people don't understand that airbags will not deploy the majority of the time. Airbags are only designed to deploy if a crash is so severe your life is at risk. The systems are incredibly smart and sensor whats happening around the driver and passengers in a split second. An airbag comes out at such fast velocity that it can actually break your bones etc, injuries can be so severe especially if your not sitting in your seat in the correct position or your arms are crossed over the steering wheel. So if you survived with no life threatening injuries the car did exactly what it was designed to do, that is not deploy the airbags.

Vince Magliozzi
Vince Magliozzi · 3 Series E90 (2005-2012)

Looking at buying a2007 320i m can anyone tell me if they have problems?

acerace
acerace

Sorry ,I cant help with that model.I have a M3 1994

My only comments would be ,BMW parts and (probably) labour charges are horrible.Buy low klm cars only and get it checked by an independent.

Keep Googling for reviews on your model .Good Luck

DrBob737
DrBob737

Excellent model. I have the 2litre diesel and it's been great. Watch out for small leaks such as oil filter cap gasket and housing. Just stupid small design flaws that lets BMW down. If you're thinking nav unit and bluetooth remember to consider models with iDRIVE business pack built in as it is very expensive to add aftermarket later. Fuel consumption 5.4litres/100km with diesel and expect about 8.2litres/100km with petrol model. If you can handle a little idle diesel noise consider the diesel model 320D. It's more powerful, quiet above 1200 rpm and solid road handling.

hope
hope · 3 Series E90 (2005-2012)

Im interested in buying d bmw 320i 2010 model. At 118000 km it still looks very new inside & d engine & was looking at a merc 180 c class. Reading all d comments send a chill down my spine cos i wanna upgrade

From my corsa GSI to something big must i look 4 something else??

Robert M
Robert M

I personally would not have another BMW in my yard.

Multiple injuries for road accident including broken neck in 2 places. I bought a BMW for the safety factor. 10 airbags not one deployed.

I contacted BMW Australia who told me and I quote "That's what your insurance company for". No apologies and never had the decency to write my name on the reply.

Pusker Beral
Pusker Beral

Wow., I was going to buy it for the safety too. Now you leave me stranded, for the right reason.

kobrini1
kobrini1 · 3 Series E90 (2005-2012)

I have a BMW 2008 320i.

How can I expand the luggage area?

I tried and tried, I looked at the manual book, no success.

Can someone help?

Thanks, Isaac

AndyM156
AndyM156

If you are trying to expand the luggage area by lowering the rear seats, you may not be able to do so.

I ran into the same problem on my 320i which I purchased second hand and discovered that rear seats that are able to be lowered are an optional extra that the purchaser had to select at the time of purchase.

Couldn't believe it wasn't a standard feature - fair rip off.

Ben McLean
Ben McLean

If installed the release levers are accessed via the boot under the parcel shelf, hard to believe that would be an option.

Get an answer from our members and BMW representatives

Select a listing for your question
BMW 3 Series Sedan